shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192451 - 27/10/03 07:44 AM 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
I'm wanting to convert my 4x2 '03 SC/SE Xterra to a 4x4. After getting the 4x2 (and at the time didn't have the extra 3 grand for the 4x4) I didn't think I would ever use it... Now I'm regreting it. Trading it in would cost me thousands... So...

I have determend this as possible... it what parts and how I haven't figured out yet.

The plan so far... Getting a 3" suspension package for a 4x4
That should have all the major front end components.

Next would be an ARB Locker for the front

Now from here i start getting lost. I know i'll need a transer case and some form of a front axle...

I'm wanting to use Nissan (or NISMO) parts anywhere aftermarket isn't already avalible. The other major concern is telling my cars computer it has 4x4 as an option... I have a very rare Xterra so outside of the 4x4 parts from a normal V6 from a junkyard (if i can even find them... also what other years would be compatible with an '03?) the CPU would be the hardest to get.

I'm up for doing most if not all the work i can... if anyone can help me figure out what parts i'm needing and the basic howtos for the part changes. I'm guessing the cost around $3,000 due to installing the front locker right out (will do the rear locker when money allows or if it will make this upgrade easier, the rear would also include ring & pinion changes for larger tires).

Now as fro searching the board (just to cover my bases)... only results i got were to trade it in. and the $10,000 loss or so is keeping me from doing that... So help or direction would be appriciated.
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#192452 - 27/10/03 08:19 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
How much money do you have?

You need a transmission, transfer case, front diff., driveline, wheel hub assemblies (the whole thing!), wheel driveshafts, different frame crossmembers, mounts, brackets, Shift linkages, interior parts, and a bunch of other stuff. You're in it for at least $5K to make the switch using junkyard parts and doing the work entirely yourself and that doesn't include the extra stuff you want like a locker. Then your warranty is toast and you are at high risk of having problems associated with the change that will cost you even more money.

I find it hard to believe you would take a $10K loss on your current truck. If that's the case then it has the same value as my 2000 with 100K miles on it!

Sell it and get what you want.
:rolleyes:

#192453 - 27/10/03 08:49 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Well trade in value from www.kbb.com puts me at about $19,000 and I owe $29,500 so yeah... about $10,000. High mileage... about 17,000 miles already.

For what i have been about to find for other cars with similar setups (IFS fronts) its only about $1,500 in parts (all factory). So i would figure that the Suspension package would ba a trade off on some factory parts... and the Locker would also trade off on a front diff. putting me around an eastimated $2,500-3,000. Now what i don't know for sure (might goto a dealer and crawl under a 4x4) is what type of transfer case i would need. If it is not part of the trasmission then it would be a bolt up job.

It's not like these cars never had 4x4 options... the biggest part change would be the transfercase depending on what type i would need (for got what the two types were... married and something else).
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192454 - 27/10/03 09:20 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Closest post on another board i could find on the same subject.

CHANGE 4X2 PATHY TO A 4X4 LE

Incase anyone else is searching as well.
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192455 - 27/10/03 09:23 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
the suspension is identical. so it would jsut be added cost to add the lift.

In fact nearly everything is identical so It is almost a straight bolt on job.

It is possible, it would not cost 5k in parts... It's between 1-2k depending on where you get the parts... If you can do the labor yourself then the only cost is time/parts/tools.

so somewhere around 2k and you will lose your truck for a few days.

Also don't forget you will need to get a Frame Trust(SLR sells them) as the 2wd Xterra did not have one.

#192456 - 27/10/03 10:24 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'm not much of a mechanic... so I don't really understand what all is involved - but whenever this question comes up, the response is always overwhelmingly "Sell it and get a 4X4".

I think if I were you, I'd buy a nice older 4x4 Wrangler and a tandem axle trailer so you can drag it out to the offroad park with your X.

It is true, though, that the used car market SUCKS right now. Ask Austinbartndr... he owed something like 17K on his '00 or '01 4X4 X, and they offered him $8500.

#192457 - 27/10/03 10:40 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Xorand thats for the post... Thats alot of insite. But is the transmission change a must... or was that a preference.

And if the lift is just a bonus to the deal then i can skip that for now and do it latter. Would rather get it converted to a 4x4 and start making sure everything works first before adding in parts that aren't nessisary.

The link i posted earlier to 4x4parts.com forum about some or the cars having a capped off transfercase... I'll crawl under mine tonight and see if that is true here (doubt it though... too easy). If so... this would be extrealy easy... the rest of the work would/should be direct bolt-ons.

-MMX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192458 - 27/10/03 10:43 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

the fronty guy mentioned having to move frame pieces becaus eof the different drive shafts used in the 4x4, aside from that I don't see why it wouldn't be bolt on.

Don't get me wrong, I want to stress THIS IS NOT AN EASY JOB.

But it is possible.

#192459 - 27/10/03 10:51 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
You can't afford to finance the extra cost of a factory 4x4 to the tune of an extra $40/month for 5 years, but you can afford to cough up a few thousand dollars in parts and labor in the span of a few months or less, AND you can afford footing the repair costs on any issues that would otherwise be covered by the warranty you're prepared to severely compromise?

Transfer case is "married" meaning it and the transmission are essentially one piece, vs. a "divorced" (capped off as you put it) unit which is an independent unit from the transmission. In other words (in the case of the Xterra), if you want a transfer case, you need the transmission that goes with it.

You're out of your mind,
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#192460 - 27/10/03 11:00 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Now we are getting somewhere... laugh

I'm always up for some hard work... And where did you find that diagram?
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192461 - 27/10/03 11:01 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

brent, your not paying attention.

when he bought it he couldn't afford the 4x4.
now he can afford the swap. but he is upside down in the X because of the shitty resale value.

so its smart to take a 2k hit and do some work than to take a 10k hit and have his monthly payments also go up for a new 4x4

I considered this mod as well... but decided instead to buy an old beater 4x4...

#192462 - 27/10/03 11:03 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

just saw wher eyou are form MadmanX... let me know if you need help... I'm reletively mechanicly inclined, just lack tools. But This would be a hell of a project to be proud of when its finished.

#192463 - 27/10/03 11:03 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

What would the electornics intell?

And would this be somthing i could get from a wrecked X of a different year and a non SC... or is there too many differences?
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192464 - 27/10/03 11:08 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

no. you would want a wrecked X years shouldn't matter.

Your lookin for an Xterra that ha sbeen though a roll over...

Idealy you could get all your front components out of an X thatgot rear ended buy a large truck smile (seems to be a lot of them in the valley)

The tought part is gonna be finding the X's(or frontiers) that have been recently wrecked and not yet stripped.

Not sure on electronics... what could there be? "4x4" and "4x4 low" indicator lights? Electroken would have the answer to the electronics question.

so your lookin for a 99-2004 Frontier or 2000-2004 Xterra, automatic 4x4.

#192465 - 27/10/03 11:09 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Might have to take you up on the offer Todrick. But i'm the same.. lack tools... so i buy them as needed.

Yeah the 4x4 was out when i bout my X... the extra couple grand couldn't be done do to being upside down on the truck i traded in...

So... on to seeing what a conversion would take. Now as for waranty... Just so everyone knows. What ever you report as a problem must be directly (and provable) cause of your modifications. So yeah if i snap the axle thats my problem... if my engine goes wierd.. they have to deal with it or prove my changes caused it.

as for the transmissions... can the married transmission be avoided?

-MMX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192466 - 27/10/03 11:27 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

seems a divorced trans/transfer would require some fabrication... if your going that route your better off just going solid front axle... since your getting into the fabrication realm anyway.

Its just time consuming, you have to spend whatever available time you have on the phone/visiting junk yards... looking for parts

the other thing to try is tow/impound yards... not sur ehow it works in AZ but in CA they would impound CHP and Police wrecks at tow yards untilt hey went up for auction... you might e able to pick up an entire truck if the wreck was severe enough and get the parts that way.... then selling off whatever is left

#192467 - 27/10/03 11:35 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Was more just courious on the divorced tcase... if the year and model (edoesn't matter... then shouldn't be to hard to find an X that has been rearended...
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192468 - 27/10/03 11:37 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

nah, thats what im saying the X/Frontier have remained the same mechnaicly since their introduction... so a divorced Tcase would be something of an oddity for an X... and require some fab work to fit I assume.

#192469 - 27/10/03 05:10 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
the suspension is identical. so it would jsut be added cost to add the lift.

In fact nearly everything is identical so It is almost a straight bolt on job.

It is possible, it would not cost 5k in parts... It's between 1-2k depending on where you get the parts... If you can do the labor yourself then the only cost is time/parts/tools.

so somewhere around 2k and you will lose your truck for a few days.

Also don't forget you will need to get a Frame Trust(SLR sells them) as the 2wd Xterra did not have one.
While I normally agree with you on a lot of things I don't see any way in hell a conversion could be done for your price. A 4X4 manual transmission alone from the junkyard runs about $900; I know because I had to buy one. I can only guess a transfer case would be at least $500. The front suspension is similar but not identical. The the hub assemblies and such are completely different, which means the brakes probably are too. Plus he'll need a new clutch and maybe even a flywheel? The list just keeps going.

Basically, parts would have to be stolen to get to your price. Maybe with a lot of shopping around and getting absolute rock bottom prices he could get it down under $4K, but still would likely encounter problems and would be without a warranty.

This SO reminds me of the people who buy 2WD Audis to save $1,700 and then want to spend $6K or more to add quattro later.

It just makes no sense.

eek

#192470 - 27/10/03 05:47 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anything is possible. Manned space flight from your backyard is possible. Possible doesn't mean anything. This isn't worth your money or time.

If you think there are only 10 or so parts that are different then you need to be prepared to need 30 or 40 different parts and about 100x's more work than you thought. It sounds like a good way towards a 4000 lb. piece of lawn art.

If you had a totalled 4x4 Xterra you could swap stuff over on then that would be the only way I would even think of attempting that.

I think you should just get some lockers for the 4x2 and see if you need more.

#192471 - 27/10/03 05:49 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
I assume.
two words that could get this guy in a whole lot of trouble.

#192472 - 27/10/03 06:57 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by MadManX:
I'm wanting to convert my 4x2 '03 SC/SE Xterra to a 4x4. After getting the 4x2 (and at the time didn't have the extra 3 grand for the 4x4) I didn't think I would ever use it... Now I'm regreting it. Trading it in would cost me thousands... So...

With the $$$ that you've spent on the SC/SE...you should have gotten a XE V6 4x4 with all 3 packages...you would have ended up paying either the same amount or even less...BTW, the 4x4 package is only $2,000 extra not $3,000....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#192473 - 27/10/03 09:18 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
All I have to say is that in the 3 (going on 4) years the X has been around, there haven't been any documented cases of someone doing this conversion. There's a reason for this. It takes too much time, expense and simply isn't the smartest thing to do on such a new, otherwise perfectly running truck. It's hard enough to do a solid axle swap on an X that already is 4x.

If you pull it off successfully, I applaud you - but so far your conversations and expectations seem pretty unrealistic. Maybe you'll prove us wrong, but I'm highly doubting it.

I live in an area with some of the best auto salvage yards/resources in the country and I've had trouble finding any Xs for even the smallest spare parts. And that's a minor beginning to your saga.

Best of luck.

#192474 - 28/10/03 05:57 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
This thread has become somewhat.... amazing?....AND...The MadMan is worried about depreciation and low re-sale at this point, I cannot imagine what it will be after this killer mod...! Go Get 'Em!

[Wave]

#192475 - 28/10/03 08:45 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules.

And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them,
disagree with them,
quote them,
disbelieve them,
glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.

Because they change things.

They invent.
They imagine.
They heal.
They explore.
They create.
They inspire.
They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?

Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written?

Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

While some see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal