2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192476 - 28/10/03 09:48 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Yeh Mr Todrick....That's what I do for a living. Invent shit and sell it.

This is not a creative idea at all and no genius is required to have the idea of spending many hrs and $s to get to what one should have bought in the first place. I know a guy that he AND his wife buy a new ride on average evey 6 months because they can't figure out what they need / want. They have the same problem with boats. Absolute idiots but they think they are so smart @45 and 52 yrs old. No genuis involved with them either.

Go Get 'Em...! [Wave]

#192477 - 28/10/03 10:01 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Here’s to the crazy ones.

#192478 - 28/10/03 10:02 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Well... This started out a civilized conversation of if this is possible and how and ended up the same as most thrieds i have seen. Buy a new truck.

If your here to insult or critize me not having a 4x4 then don't waste mine or your time. This conversion is totally possible. its how it's done that everyone seems to be afraid to find out. Xorand posted a link of someone in the process right now converting a Frontier (a nearly identical truck).

And just to humor all you that want to complain about me having the SC/SE... I got the 4x2 then because it was exacly what i was needing... and in time i decided i want to go more extream (well after getting stuck in a couple places i shouldn't had). Money has never been an issue... Its how to do it that is.

-MMX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#192479 - 28/10/03 10:15 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
bonesnTX Offline

I have faith in that you guys can do it and have some fun along the way....So...

Go Get 'Em! [Wave]

#192480 - 28/10/03 12:00 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules......

Yada, yada, yada

Nice Apple rip off, Jason. You forget some of us work in advertising. Matter of fact, a good friend of mine helped write that positioning with Lee Clow at Chiat/Day (Apple's agency).

Like I said, I applaud this guy if he pulls it off, but we all know that it's not the smartest or most groundbreaking mod to do to an X.

In fact, I think it's an insult to compare what groundbreaking things others have done to REALLY change the world, when all this guy did was make a regrettable mistake.

#192481 - 28/10/03 12:04 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There you go. Xorand has found the 4x2 very competent. Why not try to do some off-road mods to your 4x2 first to see how far that can go? It's all cheap and simple.
disconnects, lockers, tires, maybe you want to lift it...etc 4x2 is a good ride, fix it up a little. If the 4x2 was good enough to buy how could it be so desperately wrong for you now?

I don't know why Todrick is more excited about a conversion than you are but he's not going to be there 24/7 trying to make it work. You are. Do you know how easy it is to armchair quarterback? It is also putting yourself way behind being someone that doesn't already have tools or wrench alot. And then to take advice from someone that also doesn't have tools or wrench their own vehicle. Doesn't sound like a sound start.

And you aren't doing anything worth your money-or more importantly, your time. People put alot of time into their 4x4's but at the end of the day they have something completely different than stock to improve capabilities, be unique and tackle some big obstacles.

What you are proposing is something anyone can simply buy in an hour. And it will be better because it will still be under warranty and manufactured to Nissan standards.

So at the end of the day what will you have compared to what you have lost in time and money?

NOT worth your valuable time or money.

#192482 - 28/10/03 12:05 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Hey MadmanX...check out the "Buy and Sell" forum, OffroadX has a wrecked Xterra and is auctioning parts from it...it's a 4x4....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#192483 - 28/10/03 12:18 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
Nice Apple rip off, Jason. You forget some of us work in advertising...
um, ok.

[SARCASM] Yeah I figured no one would know where that came from. [/SARCASM]

-------edited for those who missed the obvious------

#192484 - 28/10/03 12:24 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

I'm not "more exited" than madmanX is... im simply excited that someone is considering doing it.

It will happen, sooner or later someone will do it. It is quite common on older Jeep cherokees, the xterra is simply a newer vehicle, as time passes it will be debate dmore and more, finaly someone will do it.

Thats it.

If it is gonna be done do I want someone local to do it so I can help/watch? so I can see it done with my own two eyes? hell yes.

As for working on my own vehicles... I do. Or did till i moved and left my tools in CA.

#192485 - 28/10/03 12:46 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Constructive critizisum is just as much help as turning a wrench. You don't have to have all the right tools to do something either. It just makes it easier.

Now if were were spending out time figuring out how to do this we might find mods that weren't normally considered. Such as a solid axle conversion. Maybe even a divorced tcase. Figuring out how to accompish it is only the first step before ever turning a wrench. I may never do it... But i would like to know how.

The simple understanding on how it works is where new ideas come from.

And yet again.. thanks still goes out to Xorand for constructive critisisum. I plan to go your route even if i don't do this conversion. A rear locker has been on the wishlist since first going off roading. And tires are just about due.

I also have to thank Todrick for backing me... He won't learn (as someone put it) if no one will discuss it or try it... I am very mechanically inclined... but even i will gladly ask for help...

I Like my X very much... at the moment to my knowledge is the fastes on the street (and if anyone wants to challenge me... hope your in AZ cause i only race on tracks)... I've already done enough work to it to not want to drop it for a different truck.

So all that are interested in a technical discussion... can we get back on topic and figure out how this can be done (for all those that want to say buy a new truck... money not being an option)... how do we do it? ... what needs to be changed?

-MMX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192486 - 28/10/03 12:48 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You want to encourage independent, off center thinking and you quote a corporate tagline? Oh brother.

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Nice Apple rip off, Jason. You forget some of us work in advertising...
um, ok.

Yeah I figured no one would know where that came from.[/b]

#192487 - 28/10/03 12:50 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

lol... its not where it came from its what it says.

#192488 - 28/10/03 12:59 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone is being constructive when it comes to your desire to consider a conversion.
99% think it's a waste of time. This isn't a put down, but telling you its a waste of time and money is just as constructive as telling you how it might be accomplished.

I didn't know you were just web-wheeling.

When you go and tackle some of the real stuff (not meant as an insult, btw), you will find that wrenching and learning how to wrench go hand in hand. You gotta walk the walk and talk the talk at the same time (that's got to be a quote from some Apple ad). Web wheeling gives you no real understanding.

Go max out your truck off road and this conversation will be a drop in the b.s. bucket.

#192489 - 28/10/03 01:07 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Ok.. I guess i need to define what i mean by critisisum...

How bout what part goes where... and maybe even a why. Not the typical got buy a different truck answer.

It's mine (or anyones elses) choice that wants to do this to consider as a waste of time. What is a waste to some is a great learning experience to others.

I would like to attempt this at some point... but untill i can find something (or some one) that can lead me in the right direction this post will just die with the same old response in it.

-MMX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

#192490 - 28/10/03 01:19 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MadManX:
[QB
How bout what part goes where... and maybe even a why. Not the typical got buy a different truck answer.

this post will just die with the same old response in it.

-MMX[/QB]
Very few people in this thread said "go buy anther truck". What I have read is people saying it is the cheapest alternative to a 4x4.

The whole beginning of this thread is technical info on why it will/won't work. My very first post to you was go get some lockers for your 4x2 and go wheel.

I also notice your strong supporter opted to buy a second 4x4 to modify. If this is such a great idea why didn't he modify his 4x2 a long time ago? Actually it doesn't matter because the bottom line is it wasn't done and, imo, not a good idea.

#192491 - 28/10/03 01:21 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Why?

Becasue when it came down to it i needed two vehicles... my harley doesnt work very well to get the kids to/from places

so it was buy a honda and let my wife drive that or buy a beater 4x4 and beat the piss out of it.

the second option sounded like more fun to me.

#192492 - 28/10/03 08:22 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
krisjon Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Nice Apple rip off, Jason. You forget some of us work in advertising...
um, ok.

[SARCASM] Yeah I figured no one would know where that came from. [/SARCASM]

-------edited for those who missed the obvious------[/b]
Edited? Actually, I think you got called on something and responded appropriately. Then when you realized it made you look less than authoritarian, you backpedal and throw a sarcastic twist on it. That Apple positioning is not common like you're making it out to be. It was put in a book for select Apple employees, on some t-shirts and a few other less than widely distributed materials...not national ads. How do I know this besides my advertising background you may ask? My sister also works for APPLE.

#192493 - 28/10/03 08:40 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
off2cjb Offline

If you got the time, the money, and the patience...then by all means, make it happen. I would love to see the first 4x2 swapped over to a 4x4. Don't let these jealous clowns spoil your dinner.

#192494 - 28/10/03 08:43 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jealous of...?

#192495 - 28/10/03 09:13 PM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Actually, I think you got called on something and responded appropriately. Then when you realized it made you look less than authoritarian, you backpedal and throw a sarcastic twist on it. That Apple positioning is not common like you're making it out to be. It was put in a book for select Apple employees, on some t-shirts and a few other less than widely distributed materials...not national ads.
Wow, thats a really big assumption to make... and honestly I find it very insulting.

I truly didn't know that it wasn't common knowledge. If i wanted to plagiarize I would have taken out the "We see genius".

I figured that everyone had seen these ads
It was the main ad that ran during the "think different" campaign. Had Richard Dreyfuss doing voice over while they showed clips of Einstein, Edison, etc. it even has Its own page on Apple.com. In fact it is the only TV ad I remember seeing for the Think Different Campaign... the rest of the TD ads where billboards and magazine adds.

------edited to ad-------

here i dug a bit:
"This ad kicked off the "Think Different" campaign. It shows short clips of several influential figures in this century. Such include Albert Einstein, Mohandas Gandhi, Alfred Hitchcock, Pablo Picasso, and several others. Richard Dreyfuss, the narrator, says how these were "the crazy ones", how they were the only ones crazy enough to think they can change the world, and did. The main theme though is that Mac users "think differently" as Steve Jobs said in his keynote speech at Macworld Expo Boston '97."

more investigation shows that this commercial was in fact the basis of the entire campaign. It Premiered on Sept 27th 1997 during ABC's world television premiere of "Toy Story", last I checked ABC was in fact "national". In reality it was not a national Campaign, it was a global campaign that even required apple the remove the Dalai Lama from the ads in Hong Kong. It was also in part a celebration as it was the first ad campaign following Steve Jobs return to Apple.
heres the .mov of the commercial

I really did just assume others had seen this.

Calling someone a plagerist is very insulting. I simply take pride in my knowledge of current events and pop-culture.

You go and check your sources, and while your at it Google:

"here's to the crazy ones" Television Commercial

and whenever you are ready to apologize I'm all ears.

#192496 - 29/10/03 12:00 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh man, how far do you have to dig before you look up and realize you're in a hole?

Suck it up and just take it like a man.

#192497 - 29/10/03 12:23 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
krisjon Offline

Jason,

I'm well aware of the spot that you linked to, and if you want to get down to brass tacks, it's a :60 sec spot that I was aware of running only a few times simply because :60sec spots are a pretty uncommon media buy. Not as many saw the entire Think Different as you think.

It indeed kicked off the campaign that was then, yes, taken globally with all the great figures you mentioned and a simple "Think Different". However, this campaign was nearly entirely print oriented and slated only with the Think Different tagline. The longer Think Different positioning statement as you have quoted was not largely seen in its entirety. Was I wrong in saying it never hit a national audience? Yes, I'm a big boy. I admit to that. My bad especially given my ties to not only Apple, but their ad agency and the art directors/writers behind it. Honestly, as brilliant a piece of writing as it was, it was largely relegated to sales materials, smaller things, and one limited edition Think Different book that I'm privileged to have a copy of as it was never sold publicly.

As far as my insinuation of plagarism, that's not what I was going for. You merely took it as such because someone actually called you on something for once. You're always on this board getting into discussions where it seems like your main aim is to show how much you know and how little everyone does - be it politics, religion, xterras, whatever. Look at your sig for god's sake:

I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?

Jason, we've hung out together and got along great. I don't think you're a bad guy. I just have a habit once in awhile of breaking people's balls a bit when I perceive their horse to be getting a little too high for them. Just so you know, man, there's a few other of us educated folks out there.

No hard feelings.

#192498 - 29/10/03 04:03 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
This thread has gone from 4x2/4x4 to, let's say, apples and oranges.
If it continues off the posted trail, it will be locked.

dave and xtoy - resident kill-joy moderator

#192499 - 29/10/03 06:08 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
bonesnTX Offline

Oh leave 'em alone Dave....Go study more thermal dynamics. These guys are way beyond tire pressures.

[Wave]

#192500 - 29/10/03 06:55 AM Re: 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion?
MadManX Offline

Hey I started this whole mess and I kinda agree with Dave... We are so far off topic it isn't even funny.

So aperently no one here thats is willing to post has any technical knowledge of the differences from the 4x2 to the 4x4... I'm better off getting the tech manuls and digging through those myself.

-MMX
2007 Red NISMO Frontier

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal