shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192661 - 06/03/02 04:56 PM True oil capacity?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Ok. I know Nissan list the Xterra as taking 3and 1/8 quarts w/o the filter and 3 and 3/4 quart with the filter. Here's my question. Dont all dipsticks have a 1 quart variance? Meaning, if your truck falls below the hatched marks on the dipstick, you can add a full quart and you shouldnt be TOO full. Not that you can read the dipstick in the xterra, but where does the bottom hash begin (volume wise) and the top hash end?

The reason I ask is b/c I was at a nissan dealer today and brought 4 quarts of Mobil 1. I asked for half a quart back after the oil change. He said he put it all in, and if needed the X could take a little over 4 quarts. I wanted to call bulshit, but then thought about the leeway on the dipstick? Anyone know for the answer? What problems could arise from filling too full?
Thanks in advance for the responses.
John

#192662 - 06/03/02 05:39 PM Re: True oil capacity?
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Why don't you pull out your dipstick and take a look?

If it's a hair over the high mark don't worry about it, but if it is more than that then it could cause problems as in foaming, pressure, and could leak/blow seals and such.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
-Chris

#192663 - 06/03/02 05:43 PM Re: True oil capacity?
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
3 1/2 is correct, but a half a quart over isn't going to hurt anything.

#192664 - 07/03/02 05:21 AM Re: True oil capacity?
UTJMAC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PismoTaco:
Why don't you pull out your dipstick and take a look?

If it's a hair over the high mark don't worry about it, but if it is more than that then it could cause problems as in foaming, pressure, and could leak/blow seals and such.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
-Chris
Have you ever checked the oil on an Xterra? The dipstick sucks and is about impossible to read. It uses a small wire to snake its way into the engine and then a small inch and a half incicator on the end to tell oil level. The only problem is, with all that snakeing through the engine, the inidcator ussually gets oil on it, and its near impossible to tell level. I put 3 quarts in my X one oile change and the dipstick looked like it showed full(which it was not). On any other car, I'd agree with you. But the dipstick on the X is about useless.
John

#192665 - 07/03/02 06:34 AM Re: True oil capacity?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I gave up on reading mine about a year ago. Couldn't decide which of the four sides had the correct answer. Now I just figure if there's oil on it, I'm good! smile

#192666 - 07/03/02 09:05 AM Re: True oil capacity?
PismoTaco Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by UTJMAC:
Have you ever checked the oil on an Xterra? The dipstick sucks and is about impossible to read. It uses a small wire to snake its way into the engine and then a small inch and a half incicator on the end to tell oil level. The only problem is, with all that snakeing through the engine, the inidcator ussually gets oil on it, and its near impossible to tell level. I put 3 quarts in my X one oile change and the dipstick looked like it showed full(which it was not). On any other car, I'd agree with you. But the dipstick on the X is about useless.
John
Thanks for the info, I see what you mean now. wink
-Chris

#192667 - 07/03/02 10:08 PM Re: True oil capacity?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
The only problem is, with all that snakeing through the engine, the inidcator ussually gets oil on it, and its near impossible to tell level.
I never have any problem, just wipe the cross-hatched area clean and check there.

The cross-hatches keep the oil in the same place so you can tell more easily.

Xterra101.com

#192668 - 07/03/02 10:27 PM Re: True oil capacity?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
[QBThe only problem is, with all that snakeing through the engine, the inidcator ussually gets oil on it, and its near impossible to tell level.[/QB]
How would the dipstick get any oil on it other than down in the pan where it's supposed to get oil on it? Oil doesn't flow up into the tube it snakes through. You might drag a drop or two up into it as you pull it out to wipe clean, but it won't be enough to screw up the reading when you re-insert to get the reading.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#192669 - 08/03/02 06:06 AM Re: True oil capacity?
UTJMAC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
How would the dipstick get any oil on it other than down in the pan where it's supposed to get oil on it? Oil doesn't flow up into the tube it snakes through. You might drag a drop or two up into it as you pull it out to wipe clean, but it won't be enough to screw up the reading when you re-insert to get the reading.

Brent[/QB]
I have no clue. But the times I try to read my oil level, it is a damn guess in my opinion. I just want to make sure I dont overfill. Like I said earlier, I put in 3 quarts after draining it, and it seemed like it was too full already by looking at the dipstick.
John

#192670 - 08/03/02 08:52 AM Re: True oil capacity?
kandacarlson Offline

Loc: United States
I always change my own oil, and 3.5 quarts always gets it pretty close to perfect with the filter change.

#192671 - 08/03/02 11:21 AM Re: True oil capacity?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by kandacarlson:
I always change my own oil, and 3.5 quarts always gets it pretty close to perfect with the filter change.
As do I , and the only reason I pull the dipstick after filling and checking for leaks is to see the pretty, clean Mobil1 on it.....

#192672 - 08/03/02 01:22 PM Re: True oil capacity?
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
I put in 3 quarts after draining it, and it seemed like it was too full already by looking at the dipstick.
John
Change the oil and filter, dump in 3.5 quarts of oil, run the engine a short while, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes. The level shown on the dipstick is your target, regardless of what the markings say. If the dipstick is 1/4" too long for some reason, it will read higher, but that doesn't mean you have too much oil in the crankcase now does it?

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#192673 - 08/03/02 03:49 PM Re: True oil capacity?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Also, if you're not parked really level, the dipstick reading may be a bit off one way or the other. I wouldn't get too crazy about it.

#192674 - 04/04/02 09:56 PM Re: True oil capacity?
Bruce Amacker Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
It's not a good idea to overfill it. My '91 3.0 Pathy (same engine family as my X) will tick on startup when it gets a 4 quart oil change. It's 3.5 for me.

#192675 - 05/04/02 07:54 AM Re: True oil capacity?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Change the oil and filter, dump in 3.5 quarts of oil, run the engine a short while, then let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
Brent
Where'd the 30 minutes come from???? The oil will drain back down into the pan in like 2-3 minutes. No need stand around for 1/2 an hour just to check your oil.

#192676 - 05/04/02 09:47 AM Re: True oil capacity?
OffroadX Offline

Can't hurt now can it?

Brent

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal