2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194385 - 29/01/01 11:54 AM Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Just figured I'd pass along some notes from the install I did this weekend.
Add to the 'tool' list a clear, flexable plastic ruler. One foot will do. Use this to double check the location of the holes that you will be drilling. The flexable ruler bends on the curved surface. This makes it easy to check that the holes on either side will be the same distance from the top/bottom of the frame. The advice - measure twice (or more), cut or drill once.
Speaking of drilling - center punch the holes, but don't over-do it least you crack the paint or dent the metal beyond the hole diameter. If your drill bits are not fresh and sharp, invest in new ones. The pair may cost about $5. Cheap verses a dull drill bit walking across your paint.
The rivnuts appear to be made of soft metal, aluminum I'd guess. So when you install them with the rivnut tool and allen wrench, don't over tighten - you'll strip the threads of the (soft) rivnut. How tight? You will notice loosness of the rivnut in the hole. As you tighten, the loosness will dissapear and the rivnut will firm up. Go just a little bit more. Maybe a turn of the allen wrench. You could always tighten it a bit more if it turns out that it is a little loose, but fixing stripped threads from over tightening would be a pain.
Note that figure 4 of the instructions shows the brackets with the mounting holes for the air deflector twards the center - figure 1 is correct. The air deflector mounting holes belong twards the outside. The profile of the bracket and rear hatch will make it obvious. So forget fig 4 and use fig 1.

dave and Xtoy - now if it keeps the window cleaner...

------------------

#194386 - 29/01/01 12:43 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Cool! Thanks for the tips, Dave.

I called up a local dealer over the weekend to see if they had one in stock and could install it, but no luck - they didn't have any.

In this cold weather, I'm just in no mood to go outside to fiddle. It'll wait until the Spring...

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#194387 - 30/01/01 06:58 AM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
DaveDatsun Offline

BF -
I ordered my deflector and some other items thru xterraparts.com - second time I've used them. Excellent service both times.
But geez, it was above freezing in the afternoon this weekend. Along with the deflector, we installed the urethane bushings for the end links of the front sway bar, modified the fog/now back-up light relay as per electro ken and got to stage two of the shifter upgrade. Did not get to the in-cabin air filter tho - what a slacker.

dave and Xtoy - next weekend...

------------------

#194388 - 17/02/01 06:42 AM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
xtatic Offline

Loc: Clinton County, New York 200...
Received my rear wind deflector from courtesy nissan....looked over the instructions for a while...cut out the template. Have to go buy new drill bits. Am a little anxious about doing this one myself but don't want to have something so minor professionally installed. May be singing a different tune if I screw it up Will keep you posted. Thanks for the tips Dave...

------------------

#194389 - 18/02/01 02:23 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
xtatic Offline

Loc: Clinton County, New York 200...
Well, its on and looks great! Can't tell how its working though as it is quite cold today and not a lot of dirt is forming on the roads. However, I did have a problem. Promptly lost one of those rivnut thingys. Try to find one somewhere. I went EVERYWHERE yesterday looking for one (Nissan parts department was closed). Most places didn't know what I was talking about. This morning I found one in the local RV repair shop. They just happened to have one floating around in their shop. Definately NOT a piece of hardware to lose. But, it all worked out in the end. Thanks for the tips Dave!!

------------------

#194390 - 19/02/01 09:05 AM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
DaveDatsun Offline

Xtatic -
Finding a rivnut, what a quest. Glad that everything worked out in the end. I can't begin to detail the bits that have fallen on my (3/4 in. mixed stone) driveway never to be seen again. There's a hardware store mixed in there I'm sure.

dave and Xtoy - buy two of everything

------------------

#194391 - 22/02/01 03:06 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
You could be lucky like me and not get all 4 of those rivnut thingies in your kit. I tried to install my deflector last weekend and now I have to wait for Nissan to send me the missing Rivnut.

I went to six different places including my dealer and only the last dude at the performance shop knew what I was talking about.

Sigh...

------------------
Xavier
"I said, Reading is GOOD, can we start the story now?" smile

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#194392 - 05/03/01 12:51 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I just got my deflector from Xterraparts and am gathering the materials to install it. Just out of curiosity, what did you all use in place of the "rust inhibitor" to treat the holes? Or did you just use some sort of waterproof caulk?

jeff

------------------

#194393 - 05/03/01 01:52 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
I made my Canadian Version into a U.S. version.. ( we don't get those rivets in our kit, but I have the real tool and selection of rivets ) I used waterproof caulk for the holes, can't remember if the U.S. model comes with a rubber gasket between the bracket and the roof, but I installed one there as well... everything nice and sealed. I've got pics of the install on my site if they would help

------------------
member of http://www.soxc.org
http://www.geocities.com/x_canuk

#194394 - 11/03/01 08:50 PM Re: Install Tips - Nissan Rear Air Deflector
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Thanks to everyone for the tips. I was able to install the deflector by myself (a minor miracle in itself) in about 90 minutes. Uh, that doesn't include the time it took me to go to the hardware store to pick up a 9/32" drill bit which I thought I already had but didn't notice I lacked until I was about to start drilling the 1/8" holes. D'oh! I'm sure I looked like quite the idiot driving to the hardware store with the template and foam tape stuck on the back of the truck. The 90 minutes does include, however, my checking the measurements 4 times and even taping the brackets to the truck to make sure the holes on the deflector would line up properly. Heh.

Only one other thing I'd contribute. Don't forget to check the rear window wiper after drilling the holes because it does a "great" job of catching shavings and I sure as heck wouldn't want the wiper to do even a single pass with that stuff sitting on it. Scratch city.

jeff

------------------

[This message has been edited by kirby34 (edited 03-11-2001).]

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal