2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1931 - 03/04/06 01:56 PM Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Zaskoda Offline

Loc: Austin, TX 2000 Green XE M...

#1932 - 03/04/06 02:37 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you're a month too late since this was a topic a month ago.

#1933 - 03/04/06 03:12 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
hm.. I didn't notice it then.

It's a shame they bashed the gen 1 so badly... but nice that the X came out on top.

#1934 - 03/04/06 07:30 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

It's a shame they bashed the gen 1 so badly... but nice that the X came out on top.
Yeah...that's pretty messed-up...
here's a Quote from that:

"If it was Carlos Ghosn who fixed the disaster that was the previous Xterra, then someone should hire the guy to direct FEMA. That first-gen effort, introduced in 1999, was underpowered and rode atop a chassis with all the structural integrity of squeezable Velveeta. Too bad this gen-two iteration, with its fast-revving 265-horse V-6 nestled within a modified Titan’s steel ladder frame, looks so much like the original, because it doesn’t deserve one iota of its forebear’s rep. It’s like the difference between Kate Smith and Kate Moss."

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#1935 - 04/04/06 06:20 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
[b]
Yeah...that's pretty messed-up...
here's a Quote from that:

"If it was Carlos Ghosn who fixed the disaster that was the previous Xterra, then someone should hire the guy to direct FEMA. That first-gen effort, introduced in 1999, was underpowered and rode atop a chassis with all the structural integrity of squeezable Velveeta. Too bad this gen-two iteration, with its fast-revving 265-horse V-6 nestled within a modified Titan’s steel ladder frame, looks so much like the original, because it doesn’t deserve one iota of its forebear’s rep. It’s like the difference between Kate Smith and Kate Moss."[/b]
That makes sense. After one Nissan event, watching front ends turn to dust, motor mounts break, sheet metal fracture, radiator core support wrinkle, suspension parts that.........
I hear all the time " I thought Xterras were junk?" when I mention I bought one. I always tell them, do not compare the old to the new!

#1936 - 04/04/06 09:17 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
[Finger]

#1937 - 04/04/06 12:08 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
"If it was Carlos Ghosn who fixed the disaster that was the previous Xterra, then someone should hire the guy to direct FEMA. That first-gen effort, introduced in 1999, was underpowered and rode atop a chassis with all the structural integrity of squeezable Velveeta. Too bad this gen-two iteration, with its fast-revving 265-horse V-6 nestled within a modified Titan’s steel ladder frame, looks so much like the original, because it doesn’t deserve one iota of its forebear’s rep. It’s like the difference between Kate Smith and Kate Moss."
Not surprisingly, considering it's from a mostly performance oriented magazine, judging a 1999 truck that using partial 1980's technology in year 2006.

Pretty sure magazines like FourWheeler would've said something different.

#1938 - 04/04/06 12:17 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
That makes sense. After one Nissan event, watching front ends turn to dust, motor mounts break, sheet metal fracture, radiator core support wrinkle, suspension parts that.........
I hear all the time " I thought Xterras were junk?" when I mention I bought one. I always tell them, do not compare the old to the new!
A little jealous that your big, fat, boxy, low-belly (might have more clearance, but looks low) 05 doesn't look nearly as lean, young, and cool as our classics? laugh

Honestly though, all offroad worthy SUVs are heading the same direction - bigger, lower, more comfortable, but just don't have that lean look nomore. Look at LR3 versus Discovery and 4runners.

#1939 - 04/04/06 01:34 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

This article (among other things) helped convince me that the Xterra is a better fit for me than the FJ Cruiser.

#1940 - 04/04/06 01:54 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like the FJ if it wasn't so fucking ugly.

#1941 - 04/04/06 01:58 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fact that it (FJ) requires premium fuel hurts it. And I didn't want any vehicle that could be called "cute". I saw a young chick driving one on PCH last weekend. I can guarantee it will NEVER leave the pavement.

#1942 - 04/04/06 02:38 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Zaskoda Offline

Loc: Austin, TX 2000 Green XE M...
Quote:
Originally posted by redorange:
I think you're a month too late since this was a topic a month ago.
Really???

Cause the article is dated April '06... and I posted it on April 3rd...

Now I know what This Post is all about.

#1943 - 04/04/06 04:31 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

well I believe if you look at page 4 of the next gen forum, a couple topics down, you will see that it was posted by NSANY on feb 4 of this year. that date must just be the internet version of the story, so I can't blame you. Oh and I agree that XOC can get very obnoxious. check out Thenewx.org....the people are very nice, helful, and keep things on topic. great place to get your info!

#1944 - 04/04/06 05:42 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Quote:
Originally posted by StarGazer:
The fact that it (FJ) requires premium fuel hurts it.
It does not REQUIRE premium fuel. It is recommended though. Just like the tacoma and 4runner recommend premium, but do not require it for the V6.

#1945 - 05/04/06 05:09 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Having owned a vehicle that needed premium fuel... I can tell you that if you don't, the onboard computer knows it. Before you'll ever feel the engine start to ping, it'll retard the timing.

Bottom line, cheap gas in a vehicle designed for premium fuel = reduced performance. Go-go juice is expensive enough these days, having to pay for premium fuel was a poor choice for Toyota. Nissan squeezed out plenty of power while using crap gas. I wish my Jeep had this Nissan engine!

The FJ (called a "Fake Jeep" on Jeep forums...) is too cutesy for me. Major yuppie mobile though. Expected to see in mall parking lots everywhere soon... right next to H2s.

#1946 - 05/04/06 11:49 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
I wish my Jeep had this Nissan engine!
You're gonna loose a lot of your mechanic friends laugh

#1947 - 05/04/06 12:55 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

2manytoyz, not true on the premium recommendation. My wife's Jetta has a "recommendation" of premium in the manual as well (it does not say it's "required"). The dealer and maintenance manager both told us when we bought it (along with a couple of friends who have one too) that it will run fine on regular. Do we lose a couple of HP by running regular? Probably. Does it hurt anything? Not from what anyone tells me or we can tell by driving it on regular. Do I still put mid-grade or premium in it from time to time, yes (my wife will not). But again, even the maintenance manager at our dealer says it will be fine on regular.

-G-

#1948 - 05/04/06 01:43 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood150:
Quote:
Originally posted by StarGazer:
[b]The fact that it (FJ) requires premium fuel hurts it.
It does not REQUIRE premium fuel. It is recommended though. Just like the tacoma and 4runner recommend premium, but do not require it for the V6.[/b]
Premium was also "Recommended" for my '03 SE S/C, but as soon as I started complaining about performance loss (All the while using premium) their first question was are you only using Premium. It was basically required per the Dealer and Nissan as a solution to the problems I was having. I'm soooo happy with my '05. wink

#1949 - 05/04/06 01:53 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well if there was no difference in performance in using premium, why would they recommend it? That would be a silly thing on their part.

I've had all kinds of vehicles in the past, a few with picky motors, such as a '97 Cobra, and a VW New Beetle 1.8L Turbo (also needed premium). Spend time on their forums, you'll hear people fussing about lack of performance on standard gas. Will you notice a difference in daily driving... no. But slam your foot into it, the engine will detect ping (pre-detonation) before you can feel or hear it, and automatically retard the timing. Lots of info about this very topic. So if you plan on getting top performance, premium fuel is a must. If you plan on getting to the mall in rush hour traffic, use the cheap stuff.

You can google this for more info, but here's a clip to back up what I've told you in my previous post:

Answer: Some cars have knock sensors that adjust timing for different grades of fuel and some do not. On cars equipped with a knock sensor and where the manufacturer recommends 91 octane, a lower octane fuel can be tried because the knock sensor will adjust the timing for the lower grade. However, performance and mileage will suffer. Now to your specific car, it most certainly will suffer if you use 87-octane fuel.

Read the full post here.

#1950 - 05/04/06 02:04 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Quote:
[b]I wish my Jeep had this Nissan engine!
You're gonna loose a lot of your mechanic friends laugh [/b]
I don't hang with brand snobs, Nissan, Jeep, or otherwise. All have their pros & cons. The inline 6 in our Jeep is very tough, trail proven, for many years. Few have anything bad to say about it other than fuel economy.

But that inline 6 is a 4.0L, just like the one in the Xterra (but it's a V-6). There's no comparison when it comes to raw power. The Nissan motor kicks butt. Their previous 3.3L, like I had in my 2000 Nissan Crew Cab, wasn't in the same class as either motor.

One thing Jeep has going for it is simplicity. Everything is easy to find and work on. The altenator is high on the motor, just like it should be. No need to pull a tin foil skid plate to remove the oil filter. I think the engineers at Jeep could learn a lot from Nissan, and vice versa! Oh, the sacrilege! [Huh?] wink

Pics of the Xterra next to the Jeep.

#1951 - 05/04/06 02:55 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The FJ (called a "Fake Jeep" on Jeep forums...) is too cutesy for me. Major yuppie mobile though. Expected to see in mall parking lots everywhere soon... right next to H2s.
Amen. I'd like the Toyota reliability, but not at the price of driving something that looks like ass and has a bunch of latte-sippers behind the wheel.

#1952 - 05/04/06 04:42 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
RJ Offline

Quote:
I don't hang with brand snobs, Nissan, Jeep, or otherwise. All have their pros & cons. The inline 6 in our Jeep is very tough, trail proven, for many years. Few have anything bad to say about it other than fuel economy.

But that inline 6 is a 4.0L, just like the one in the Xterra (but it's a V-6). There's no comparison when it comes to raw power. The Nissan motor kicks butt. Their previous 3.3L, like I had in my 2000 Nissan Crew Cab, wasn't in the same class as either motor.

One thing Jeep has going for it is simplicity. Everything is easy to find and work on. The altenator is high on the motor, just like it should be. No need to pull a tin foil skid plate to remove the oil filter. I think the engineers at Jeep could learn a lot from Nissan, and vice versa! Oh, the sacrilege! [Huh?] wink

Pics of the Xterra next to the Jeep.
I was just joking there, hence the smiley.

Good to hear you're a cool Jeeper who don't bash everything else. Nice jeep btw [ThumbsUp] For some reason I love their stock look (the jacked up on 40's are too common).

BTW: Hope the upcoming V6 will fix up the fuel economy a bit. The 4.0L I6 does suck gas, even worse than the 3.3L at times.

#1953 - 05/04/06 10:45 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
Well, I'm a moderator on a toyota truck board so I like to think I have my finger on the pulse of the toyota crowd...I'll re-iterate, premium is NOT required. Nobody runs it in the 4.0L unless they are anal about those kinds of things or want better performance. It'll run just fine with regular gas for daily driving.

#1954 - 06/04/06 06:52 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats rights...2nd GEN X are HOT....yeayea

#1955 - 06/04/06 10:40 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California
Quote:

"If it was Carlos Ghosn who fixed the disaster that was the previous Xterra, then someone should hire the guy to direct FEMA. That first-gen effort, introduced in 1999, was underpowered and rode atop a chassis with all the structural integrity of squeezable Velveeta. Too bad this gen-two iteration, with its fast-revving 265-horse V-6 nestled within a modified Titan’s steel ladder frame, looks so much like the original, because it doesn’t deserve one iota of its forebear’s rep. It’s like the difference between Kate Smith and Kate Moss."[/qb]
...and yet that same vehicle was Motor Trend's SUV of the year in 2000. Opinions are like ass holes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal