2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197384 - 17/09/01 08:12 AM Chassis lube points?
JohnA Offline

Loc: Central Tejas
With around 3K on the odometer, I'm starting to think of the 3750 service and so crawled under the X just to check out the various locations of grease fittings (Zerks). Couldn't find any!

Didn't really expect to finds zerks on the u-joints as most are sealed these days. But tierod ends and ball-joints/kingpins?

It occurred to me that maybe they use temporary caps, replaced by grease fittings when serviced. (I've seen that done before.)

I dunno. Didn't spend a whole lot of time under the X & maybe my light wasn't all that good. Did I just miss the grease fittings? (Admittedly, I didn't find anything on chassis lube in the OM, so maybe everything's all sealed up, but that sure seems unlikely.)

"Give me an army of West Point grads and I'll win a battle;
give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war."
- General George S. Patton

#197385 - 17/09/01 08:25 AM Re: Chassis lube points?
Rumpy Offline

Loc: Bayside, NY
I think everything is all sealed up. It seems to be the general concensus on the board and I have never been able to find any lube points despite looking for them.

#197386 - 17/09/01 12:32 PM Re: Chassis lube points?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There's one on the front driveshaft, but otherwise, it's all sealed.

Brent

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: OffroadX ]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#197387 - 17/09/01 12:34 PM Re: Chassis lube points?
JohnA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rumpy:
I think everything is all sealed up. It seems to be the general concensus on the board and I have never been able to find any lube points despite looking for them.

Yep, I should have done a search first but didn't . There were two previous threads on lube points, all to the effect that, no, there are no zerts. It's all sealed. Dang, that sure seems strange, given that some vehicles really get a workout while others spend 95% of their lives on blacktop. Oh well, one less thing to worry about, I guess, and that's a *good* thing!

~ja

#197388 - 18/09/01 11:54 AM Re: Chassis lube points?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA:
Dang, that sure seems strange, given that some vehicles really get a workout while others spend 95% of their lives on blacktop. Oh well, one less thing to worry about, I guess, and that's a *good* thing!

When I installed the SLR lift, my Xterra had 22,000 miles on it, according to my GPS, over 6000 of them were off road.

The lift requires removal of the stock upper ball joints, and when I removed them, the grease in them was still gold-green, and looked brand new, no sign of any wear.

I think the seals are quite good on the X.

#197389 - 19/09/01 11:39 AM Re: Chassis lube points?
JohnA Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

When I installed the SLR lift, my Xterra had 22,000 miles on it, according to my GPS, over 6000 of them were off road.

The lift requires removal of the stock upper ball joints, and when I removed them, the grease in them was still gold-green, and looked brand new, no sign of any wear.

I think the seals are quite good on the X.

That's good to know, Ian, and thanks for the update.

~ja

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal