shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197393 - 06/09/03 09:57 PM Help me change my differential fluid...
RACERX Offline

Loc: Vermont USA
Never tried it. How difficult is it to change the differntial fluid in my 2000 X SE 4x4? Can someone walk me through it?

#197394 - 07/09/03 06:45 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Try searching next time wink There are 3 threads in this section with this link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xterra/tech/Diff_fluid_change.txt

Have fun,
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#197395 - 07/09/03 11:38 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Brent, I'm curious why you don't recommend teflon tape? That's what I always use because it's less messy going in and coming out. The liquid is a total PITA both ways...hard to get to stay on the threads and then when you take the plug out it makes a crumbly mess that falls inside the diff/tranny/etc. I think I would use nothing before I would mess with that again. :rolleyes:

#197396 - 07/09/03 03:35 PM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
OffroadX Offline

The tape just seems more prone to gunking things up if it gets inside, have you ever stretched it and seen how strong it gets? I don't want that getting caught up in there.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#197397 - 07/09/03 04:18 PM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You could also avoid using thread sealant. Nissan doesn't recommend it, and I've never had a leak.

#197398 - 08/09/03 01:59 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
Tagawichin Offline

Loc: Central PA
I just changed mine this weekend and Brent's instructions were very easy to follow. Other than one fill plug that was installed by a gorilla, it was a very easy task.

For the front, I did not bother with removing the sway bar. It looked like it was under tention and there was enough room to work with out fooling with it.

The pump that is listed in the instructions was very helpfull and I consider it money well spent. You can get by with out the pump, but it makes filling the transfer case and front diff a lot easier.

Thanks for those instructions Brent.

Herbert Spencer, 1820-1903

#197399 - 08/09/03 04:29 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
OffroadX Offline

I've never had a drain plug leak, but my rear fill plug likes to start weeping after a while. Not a problem, but it does it.

#197400 - 05/03/07 11:09 PM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would also like to change my differential fluids and transfer case fluids.

Does anybody have any pictures of the drain and fill plugs? I only have experience changing the ATF and engine oil.

Thank you.

#197401 - 05/03/07 11:21 PM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kcnissan:
I would also like to change my differential fluids and transfer case fluids.

Does anybody have any pictures of the drain and fill plugs? I only have experience changing the ATF and engine oil.

Thank you.
Should be rather straight forward. Surely on the diffs the lower plug is the drain and the upper is the fill.

You wanna make sure that you can get the fill plug off first and then then drain. Reason being is that if for some reason you can't get the fill plug off you don't wanna sit there with a drained diff.

#197402 - 05/03/07 11:32 PM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen the transfer case and assume that it is: http://xterra101.com/images/transfercase.jpg, but I am not sure where the fill and drain plugs on it are.

To tell you the truth, I do not know what the differentials even look like or where they are located...

#197403 - 06/03/07 07:14 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
KCNISSAN you should hook up with members from your local club. They will be a wealth of information and would probably help you.

#197404 - 06/03/07 11:04 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kcnissan:
I have seen the transfer case and assume that it is: http://xterra101.com/images/transfercase.jpg, but I am not sure where the fill and drain plugs on it are.

To tell you the truth, I do not know what the differentials even look like or where they are located...
Easy. There's a front and read differentials. If you look at the rear, you will see your axle tube connected to both rear wheels. In the middle of it there's the differential. It's right in the middle and looks like a pumpkin.

Same thing in the front. Just follow the axle from the wheel till you see the pumpkins. Those are your differentials.

In this pic you can clearly see the rear diff (the pumpkin).

#197405 - 07/03/07 06:15 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Rear diff, viewed from back of truck...the threaded plug sticking out near the bottom is the drain....the one on the side of the diff facing you, mostly obscurred by the rear sway bar...is the fill plug.

For almost all diffs, you simply fill it to the lower edge of the fill hole.

The front diff looks similar...but is harder to see easily:

To be sure you have it...notice the drive shaft going into it, running from the middle of the truck, forward...and bolted in a circle at the flange....this view is from the P side middle of the truck, looking forward at the back of the front diff.

A half shaft, running to each side's wheels, comes out its sides, for further confirmation.

Use synthetic diff juice...its way more moisture resistant than the dino juice.

Good Luck!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#197406 - 07/03/07 06:15 AM Re: Help me change my differential fluid...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Rear diff, viewed from back of truck...the threaded plug sticking out near the bottom is the drain....the one on the side of the diff facing you, mostly obscurred by the rear sway bar...is the fill plug.

For almost all diffs, you simply fill it to the lower edge of the fill hole.

The front diff looks similar...but is harder to see easily:

To be sure you have it...notice the drive shaft going into it, running from the middle of the truck, forward...and bolted in a circle at the flange....this view is from the P side middle of the truck, looking forward at the back of the front diff.

A half shaft, running to each side's wheels, comes out its sides, for further confirmation.

Use synthetic diff juice...its way more moisture resistant than the dino juice.

Good Luck!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal