shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198546 - 30/03/06 09:19 AM Front Brake Pad Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was hearing some scraping on my front driver side brakes last week. Last night I changed the pads. When I pulled them out I found the inside pad completely wornout. The sqeaker was broken off so I had no warning that it was worn out. The 3 other pads still had plenty left on the pad. Has anyone else had this happen? Luckly I caught it before it damaged the rotor. I have about 45K on the truck.

#198547 - 30/03/06 10:26 AM Re: Front Brake Pad Issue
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Stock pads only have 1 tab out of the 4 pads. Usually the inside one on the right side that wears fastest, that's where I advise putting the tabbed pad.
Sounds like the slider pins on that caliper aren't greased properly.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xterra/tech/FrontBrakeJob.txt

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#198548 - 30/03/06 10:37 AM Re: Front Brake Pad Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sound like you have a stuck caliper, I had one of those on my 4 runner. I am sure you can rebuild and clean it out yourself, but after the core charge return you can get an already rebuilt one pretty cheap. Mine did the same as yours with the squeaker and killed my rotor as well. I have not heard of that as a common problem on the X's, and with that low of miles it is probably just a freak occurance.

#198549 - 30/03/06 10:38 AM Re: Front Brake Pad Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting only one tab. The new pads have 2. For some reason my left inside wore much faster then the rest. I greased the slider pins hopfully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the info.

#198550 - 30/03/06 02:34 PM Re: Front Brake Pad Issue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ScooterX:
Interesting only one tab. The new pads have 2. For some reason my left inside wore much faster then the rest. I greased the slider pins hopfully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the info.
I just replaced mine last weekend with new Nissan pads, I only got a wear tab on one pad.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal