shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198625 - 14/09/01 05:33 PM Best instructions for ARB install?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Okay who has got the best instructions for and ARB install?

Thanks, Rick

-Rick

#198626 - 14/09/01 07:41 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
1) pull off stock bumper
2) put on ARB bumper. wink

no seriously. just unscrw all the bolts out of the stock bumper, which will be the longest time of the install, pull it off. then line up the ARB, best to have a friend or 2 to hold the thing up. put the rear carriage bolts in lossly in first to take some weight off your friends holding it up. put in the middle bolts next. and remove the back bolts. put in the front bolts. then put in the back bolts again and tighten everything down. i know it sounds convoluted with the back bolts, but it saves the heaving and hawing of your friends and makes it a LOT easier to align the middle and front bolts IMO.

but overall it really is as simple as my first tongue and cheek instructions. your second amoutn of time will be lining everything up with the body and what not before tightening it down.

for extra strength, i really suggest drilling a new hole next to the original back most hole through the arb and frame support and putting in a grade 8 bolt in there. this will help keep the bar from shifting since the back holes are slotted. this will be especially helpfull if you ever have to recover from the ARB or have a winch. i have yet to do this to mine, but i will shortly.

#198627 - 14/09/01 08:06 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rrdstarr Offline

Thanks Kirk for the low down! I was going to actually add a couple of reinforcing bolts with recovery hooks bolted through the frame. Probably to the outside of the frame.

-Rick

#198628 - 14/09/01 11:15 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You left out the part about grinding and drilling for 4 hours, plus 4 hours of beer drinking and cursing.

#198629 - 15/09/01 08:32 AM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Make sure you unscrew the two padded supports on the original bumper that need to be taken off before it will drop these are circled in red. They are on the left and right edges of the bumper near where they meet the body. In my installation, which I did alone, that was my biggest problem. I couldnt figure out for a while why it wouldnt come loose. There is a cross bar of steel that goes from one "horn" to another of the frame. This area is circled in blue with the bar removed. The arb will not fit onto the frame with this bar in place. It is recommended you cut a couple of inches off of each end and reinstall it to add some stiffness to the arb.

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: imacsae ]

#198630 - 15/09/01 09:21 AM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I thought that if you attached the lower bolts first, you would likely trash the fenders with the "wing" portion of the bumper as you rotate it up to align the bumper. I would think the middle bolts should be loosely set to support the weight while you line up the others.

?
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#198631 - 15/09/01 07:43 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
i installed mine by drilling through the frame. took about four hours, like ian stated. but i believe it was worth it.

#198632 - 15/09/01 08:21 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rrdstarr Offline

I got the ARB on but it sits high in the front? I am going to have to elongate the holes in the front to level the bumper. I guess everyone is right in saying that there are differences between Xterra to Xterra. I also relocated the fog lights to the body flange below the body mount. They'll be protected there. I have photos on AF forums if you'd like to see. I also installed 4X4Parts idler arm brace which took 10 minutes. The ARB install, including removal of stock bumper was 2.5 hours.

-Rick

#198633 - 15/09/01 10:21 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
That's about a dozen I've seen now that sit the exact same way.

ARB's holes are off, and need to be fixed, they should not be parallel with the Navara holes.

Get out the grinder and a 6-pack.

#198634 - 15/09/01 10:57 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rjm022 Offline

i took a piece of L shaped steel (1x1) about a foot long and mounted it to the front holes on the arb and then attached my fog lights to it. looks great, but not much protection if you do serious offroading.

#198635 - 15/09/01 11:39 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rrdstarr Offline

RJM...do you mean you attached it to the holes that are inteneded for your liscence plate holder?

-Rick

#198636 - 16/09/01 05:53 PM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
That's about a dozen I've seen now that sit the exact same way.

ARB's holes are off, and need to be fixed, they should not be parallel with the Navara holes.

Get out the grinder and a 6-pack.

agreed. mine i had to grind and didn't line up correctly until i hooked up a snatch strap to a shackle on the tow point to doa straight on pull to get someone unstuck, cause i didn't have my new tow hook on yet. once i did that, it snapped into perfect alignment and has not moved since. even with winching it has stayed in place. i know, i know, not the best way, but it was discovered by accident.

and rick, i would get the email address of the ARB guy that has been helping Mosi and all that was at GOX and send him the pics and ask him to see what he can do.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: Synchro ]

#198637 - 18/09/01 09:13 AM Re: Best instructions for ARB install?
rjm022 Offline

rick, that is correct. i used the holes that were intended for the license plate bracket. at the moment i live in a state that doesn't require a front plate. i think it looks good. it's painted to match the arb, so basically it looks like an add on accessory to the arb.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal