shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#202228 - 19/03/03 04:25 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Hunter's X Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
UPDATE: The cop that hit my nephew was off-duty. As I'm told, he previously hit a drunk pedestrian while he was driving drunk and they charged the pedestrian who is now a paraplegic. Also, to try and assist someway, I ran his name through Google. I found out that the drunk cop was previously fired from the Harpers Ferry Police Dept. for multiple offenses. I wish I was there to see my nephew, but I would be afraid I'd take a baseball bat to the cops knees and cripple him. Oh ya, I forgot. Both my nephew and this bastard were airlifted to different hospitals. After the cop was released he had some sort of "head" related problem, and went to the hospital my nephew was. Guess who ended up in the next bed in my nephews room... you got it, the cop who hit him. My sister went BALLISTIC and he was quickly removed. Duh! Talked to my nephew today.... he said that they took 43 of the staples out of his head today... the rest to come out later. Grossed me out.

Again all, thanks a lot for your thoughts and kind words!!

Hunter

#202229 - 19/03/03 05:25 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I know what you're going through.

My brother was in a car accident in April 2002 in which he sustained compound fractures in both legs (tibia and fibula), destroyed the ligaments in both knees, and had major burns (from tranny fluid) on both legs. He was in ICU for almost the first month.

Apparently, someone in an oncoming car (who they assume was drunk) swerved into his lane. When he tried to avoid them, he hit a curb and lost control of the vehicle (high-centered). He hit a pole right at the front door seam (middle of his legs). The other vehicle came back, stopped, two guys got out, helped his passenger out, and looked at my brother. They freaked out and got back in their vehicle and left - haven't found them yet.

It took them two hours to get out of the car. They had to cut it in five places with the jaws of life and almost cut off his legs to get him out. Luckily the door and transmission tunnel pinched his legs enough to act as a tournicate and he didn't bleed to death. Because of the way his legs were lodged, they also didn't have to cut them off (which they seriously thought about).

It's been almost a year, and he's doing pretty well. Has some doctors' appointments this week to see if his right leg is healing. The tibia may need a bone graft. He has kept an amazing attitude. His personality is similar to how you describe your nephew.

I know what you are going through. You and your family (and especially your nephew) will get through this! You are all in my prayers.

Remember that it will take time, but keep in mind that modern medicine can do some amazing things. Remember, also, to always have hope and strength!

All my best to you and your family.

#202230 - 20/03/03 08:41 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
jaws_o_life Offline

Loc: RVA
[/QB][/QUOTE] If officers are required to be on stand-by, basically, even when they are off-duty, then isn't there some measure of accountability for their actions? I know, it doesn't seem fair, but being a police officer carries heavy responsibilities . . .[/QB][/QUOTE]

There is no question in my mind that public servants (police, firefighters, elected officials, etc...) are and should be held to a higher moral standard with regard to their actions both on and off duty. If they are not willing to accept that code of conduct, be it a stipulation of their employment or not, they are not fit to perform that job to the fullest extent. I can guarantee that this department will not stand by this individal who has tainted their public image, their profession, and their mission. Did the department make a mistake in hiring this individual, yes. Are they regreting this, definately.

#202231 - 20/03/03 01:41 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Viper X Offline

Loc: Mercer Island, WA
I know your pain man, my parents were airlifted, one by one, from a dinky little island where there's no medical care [Orcas Island] and I was then put in the same ambulance as the a-hole who hit me. It was all I could do to not drive my leatherman through him, and he was in restraints so it would have been easy.

All i can say is that I hope everything works out, and that justice will be done. I'd personally be alerting all the media, both local and national, about this. Also, might not hurt to tell MADD about it, they tend to have a pretty powerful presence in the court room.

#202232 - 24/03/03 11:27 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
jinx Offline

Loc: The T-dot! Ontario
my families prayers are with your nephew and your family, may it be a quick recovery...

EMS
PCP/FTO
AEMCA

#202233 - 15/05/03 11:38 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
i8a4re Offline

Loc: Winnipeg/Calgary Canada
Took me a while to find this thread again....

Hunter.. How's your nephew doing now?

Homer: What kind of mileage does this thing get?
McBain: One Highway, Zero City

#202234 - 16/05/03 04:28 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Hmm, I dont know how many times I have heard or read about a Police Officer with multiple DUI offenses, especially around Atlantic City. I hope your nephew recovers, with two broken thighs(femurs) he couldve easily bled to death. Keep positive, in this day and age it seems almost anything is possible medically. I hope it all works out for him.

#202235 - 23/05/03 11:09 AM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
Sorry to hear about the accident. The crash looks horrible. Just be thankfull he is alive. Take care and best wishes.

#202236 - 28/05/03 09:59 PM Re: Drunk Driver Hit My Nephew
Hunter's X Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thanks for the inquiry... lost the thread myself. My nephew is walking with assist from a walker. He can and does walk very short distances unaided, but it'll be awhile and he'll probably never be the same again. He's flying up from MD to So. New Hampshire this weekend for an anniversary party. And they are still getting married in August with Todd more than determined to walk down the isle! He's amazing to me... I spent a lot of time camping, hiking, fishing with him and he was never the "strong" kid, but now....

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers guys!

Hunter [Wave]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal