shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203066 - 27/06/03 08:18 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:

[b]Regardless of how you all here feel about NYMadman, he is exactly right on this point. This gay issue is a Texas problem, not a Supreme Court (Federal) issue. The Supreme Court overstepped its bounds again.

Stone
And slavery/segregation is only a problem for the southern states as well, eh?[/b]
Sean,
What's your point?
I am just clarifying that the Supreme Court should not be involved in this issue. That is why we have the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government. I don't care what issue it deals with - it is up for the individual States to decide, not the Supreme Court. States rights vs. Federal gov.

PS: Who gives a shit about slavery? That was 150 years ago. Let's move forward....... FYI, more blacks today are for segregation. I.e. United Negro College Fund, Black Essence Awards, Hip-Hop Awards, affirmative action laws, etc. Shall I go on? If they want to be intergrated, why the need for the these individual acts?

Stone

#203067 - 27/06/03 08:20 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
The black guy doesn't look that young to me actually. Sure he is younger than the other guy, but it ain't like he is 18 or something. Hey did you molest your wife/girlfriend when you were kids Madman? That is just as plausible as your comment about these two guys.

#203068 - 27/06/03 08:20 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nolarocks:
Graham,

My reply was directed toward Stonecoldchavez. Just to clear that up. Sorry.
No worries. [Wave]

#203069 - 27/06/03 08:21 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
[b]Regardless of how you all here feel about NYMadman, he is exactly right on this point. This gay issue is a Texas problem, not a Supreme Court (Federal) issue. The Supreme Court overstepped its bounds again.

Stone
Anyone taken you to the zoo lately?

Please, someone, please explain to me how the hell two people doing what the hell they want in the privacy of their own residences has any bearing on anyone else's life?

They weren't building bombs.

They weren't cooking up drugs.

They weren't making prank calls to have 100 pepperoni pizzas delivered to thir friends . . .

They were doing what grown, consenting adults do every night of the week. They just have slightly different tastes in who to do it with . . .

I'm at a loss. How is this in any way something that could harm anyone else?[/b]
Graham,

I could care less what homos do in the privacy of their own home.......I am just clarifing that the Supreme Court should not be involved in a States rights issue. Let the people of Texas decide; not the Federal gov.

Stone

#203070 - 27/06/03 08:24 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
nolarocks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
As far as it affecting your life..... the topic doesn't affect my life either. But the State's "Big Brother" mentality does. I'm sure you know this already.

If people want to act "immorally", that is their problem. If they break the law, that is another thing. ie. You rape/sodomize a child, you go to jail. Not because of Sodomy. Because you raped a child.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - The C man

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#203071 - 27/06/03 08:25 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Just to clarify for everyone. It ALL has to do with PRIVACY:

Justice Kennedy: "The present case does not involve minors. It does not involve persons who might be injured or coerced," he said. "It does not involve public conduct or prostitution."

"The case does involve two adults who, with full and mutual consent from each other, engaged in sexual practices common to a homosexual lifestyle," he said. They "are entitled to respect for their private lives."
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#203072 - 27/06/03 08:30 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
2001frontier Offline

The states rights issue is a BS argument. As has been stated the same thing happened during the civil rights movement. The Southern states wanted the feds to let them handle it themselves. That obviously was not acceptable. The job of the Supreme Court is to strike down laws that they see as unconstitutional. They saw the sodomy law as unconstitutional, so they said it had to go. Just because you may have liked the law does not mean it was legal. One thing that I found laughable was Thomas' statement about him not finding a right to privacy in the Constitution. Huh? I like Thomas as a justice, but I think he fucked up on this one.

#203073 - 27/06/03 08:36 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Here is a little something useless... [Wave]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#203074 - 27/06/03 08:42 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
One thing that I found laughable was Thomas' statement about him not finding a right to privacy in the Constitution. Huh? I like Thomas as a justice, but I think he fucked up on this one.
Actually, I think he is right.

There is nothing in the Constitution that ever says the word, "privacy."

The Constitution outlines what the Government can do, not what the American people can do.

You don't really see anything about Rights until the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution.

Then, in Amendments 9 and 10, privacy is referred to in a back-handed way . . .

Amendment 9: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Amendment 10: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

In other words, the Constitution lays out, specifically, what the Governemnt can tell the American people they can and cannot do. Everything else that isn't specified, is up to the States and the people.

Including privacy . . .

#203075 - 27/06/03 08:50 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
2001frontier Offline

I could not disagree more in this case Graham. I think Ammendment IV covers privacy. No it does not specificall say it, but it is implied. I believe this is what the justices were thinking of as well. We have the right to our private lives, without the police busting down our door for no reason.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

#203076 - 27/06/03 08:51 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
The states rights issue is a BS argument. As has been stated the same thing happened during the civil rights movement. The Southern states wanted the feds to let them handle it themselves. That obviously was not acceptable. The job of the Supreme Court is to strike down laws that they see as unconstitutional. They saw the sodomy law as unconstitutional, so they said it had to go. Just because you may have liked the law does not mean it was legal. One thing that I found laughable was Thomas' statement about him not finding a right to privacy in the Constitution. Huh? I like Thomas as a justice, but I think he fucked up on this one.
2001frontier,

Your a wrong here. Yes, the Supreme Court decides on what is Constitutional. But, the Constitution says nothing about gay rights. Therefore the SC should not be involved in deciding for the individual States. If, the individual States want to have sodomy laws, that is their decision. That is what their people want.

I agree with Moby now, it is a privacy issue, not a gay issue.

Stone

#203077 - 27/06/03 08:52 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
2001frontier Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The states rights issue is a BS argument. As has been stated the same thing happened during the civil rights movement. The Southern states wanted the feds to let them handle it themselves. That obviously was not acceptable. The job of the Supreme Court is to strike down laws that they see as unconstitutional. They saw the sodomy law as unconstitutional, so they said it had to go. Just because you may have liked the law does not mean it was legal. One thing that I found laughable was Thomas' statement about him not finding a right to privacy in the Constitution. Huh? I like Thomas as a justice, but I think he fucked up on this one.
2001frontier,

Your a wrong here. Yes, the Supreme Court decides on what is Constitutional. But, the Constitution says nothing about gay rights. Therefore the SC should not be involved in deciding for the individual States. If, the individual States want to have sodomy laws, that is their decision. That is what their people want.

I agree with Moby now, it is a privacy issue, not a gay issue.

Stone[/b]
So which is it. A privacy issue or a gay rghts issue to you?

#203078 - 27/06/03 08:58 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Since I am not gay, I could care less what issue it is.

My orignal comments were about the separation of the Legislative vs. Judicial branch of government.

The Supreme Court decides on citizens rights violations as described in the Constitution. Since gay rights are not in the Constitution, it should be up to the individual State's to decide if it is a privacy vs. gay issue. Let the people of the indivdual State decide what they want.

Stone

#203079 - 27/06/03 09:01 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
babyX Offline

I've never thought of it as a gay rights' issue but as a privacy issue. Much as sexual orientation is a private issue, or should be, and much as whether I prefer whipped cream and cherries or chocolate sauce on my ice cream is a private issue.

#203080 - 27/06/03 09:06 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Anyone taken you to the zoo lately?[/QUOTE]

Graham,
Before you go dissing me about my signature, do you even know what movie it is from?

Stone

#203081 - 27/06/03 09:13 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
Much as sexual orientation is a private issue, or should be, and much as whether I prefer whipped cream and cherries or chocolate sauce on my private issue.[/QB]
WHAT!

#203082 - 27/06/03 09:15 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Graham,
Before you go dissing me about my signature, do you even know what movie it is from?

Stone
Yes.

You quoted Rocky.

And that is relevant to anything because . . . . ?

#203083 - 27/06/03 09:18 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
THIS IS A PRIVACY ISSUE. If my g/f/fgiance/wife likes to be kinky and get done up the bum, I dont think a State has the right to say I cant do that. I am not hurting anyone by doing it. Privacy not gay rights is what it is about.

#203084 - 27/06/03 10:05 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Actually, I think he is right.

There is nothing in the Constitution that ever says the word, "privacy."
That is true, there is not one mention of the word "privacy."

Quote:
The Constitution outlines what the Government can do, not what the American people can do.

You don't really see anything about Rights until the Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution.
The Amendments are part of the constitution. When one speaks of the "constitution," we are not talking about only the original document.

Quote:
In other words, the Constitution lays out, specifically, what the Governemnt can tell the American people they can and cannot do. Everything else that isn't specified, is up to the States and the people.
Quote:
Including privacy . . .
Nope:

"(The right to privacy is a person's) right to be left alone by the government... the right most valued by civilized men."
- Former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

1973 Roe v. Wade was decided on the "Right to Privacy."

The Fourth Amendment protects us from federal government intrusion.

The Fourteenth Amendment protects us from state and local government intrusion. The actual text enforcing this: "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States." Therefore, since the federal government cannot do unreasonable search and seizure, neither can the states.

Thomas can ignore previous cases if he wants, but the court has ruled many times that individuals do indeed have a "right to privacy" under the fourth and fourteenth amendments.

EDITED TO ADD:

Several Amendments have been used to support the right to privacy:

First Amendment in NAACP v. Alabama, 357 U.S. 449,462.

Third and Fifth Amendments in Tehan v. Shott, 382 U.S. 406,416.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#203085 - 27/06/03 10:26 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
It's time to put some faces on this case.....

This is a picture of the two deviants that originated the case.

The white guy is old enough to be the other deviants grandfather. Does anyone have the opinion that the old pervert probably started molesting the other one as a teenager?

This picture is the deviants lawyer. She is also a deviant (yes.. it is a woman.. I think). Word around Capitol Hill is that she has every episode of "Ellen" on tape.

She is also representing Anne Heche for her upcoming autobiography "Hot Dogs and Donuts".
the guy on the left is in his 50's, the guy on the right looks to be in his late 30's, early 40's. I dont see a problem.

#203086 - 27/06/03 10:27 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone taken you to the zoo lately?
Graham,

Stone[/QUOTE]
Its from Rocky! The mob boss' driver who hated Rocky said it.

#203087 - 27/06/03 10:40 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
babyX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
Much as sexual orientation is a private issue, or should be, and much as whether I prefer whipped cream and cherries or chocolate sauce on my private issue.
WHAT!
You've got to at least do the ... when you leave part of a quote out!

#203088 - 27/06/03 10:46 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
I prefer whipped cream and cherries or chocolate sauce on my ...
Like this ? Did I use the dots correctly ?

#203089 - 27/06/03 11:34 AM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
babyX Offline

Unfortunately, yes....

#203090 - 27/06/03 12:17 PM Re: finally getting out of the 18th century
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Graham,

Stone
Yes.

You quoted Rocky.

And that is relevant to anything because . . . . ?[/b]
I don't know....you tell me, why did you ask me if I have been to the zoo lately?

Stone

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal