shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#203125 - 29/08/04 01:11 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by OhioXterra:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
[b]Is that loophole really still open?
I thought Nissan was notified of it...I guess I assumed it had been closed. confused
I did pay the $20 backs way back when...then i realized you could type in any Nissan vehicle model/year in the address window & come up w/a manual for that vehicle (& the chapters had same title format for all models). I downloaded the 350Z manual just as wishful thinking (I'm still hoping it'll turn out to be some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy). laugh
What is the syntax you're using? I'm confused.[/b]
As I recall, when you had a PDF file open, the URL address window would read something like ".../2001Xterra/ec.pdf", which would be the Engine Control System manual for the 2001 Xterra. What I found is, if you typed in something like ".../1999Pathfinder/ec.pdf", you would then be taken to the engine control system chapter for the 1999 pathfinder. The formatting for each chapter was the same: fwd.pdf was the table of contents chapter, which had the links for each subsequent chapter (lc.pdf, ec.pdf, mt.pdf, at.pdf, etc....).
So, if you typed ".../2000Altima/fwd.pdf" you would be taken to the table of contents for the Altime FSM, where you could then click on whatever chapter you were interested in (and download it).
I'd be very surprised if it were still possible to do this though.

#203126 - 29/08/04 06:57 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
You pay for access to any model and year, plus the rest of the content. Your $20 lets you suck down whatever you can from the entire site, no need to "change" the URL and think you're being clever about it.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#203127 - 29/08/04 07:12 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh OK, I thought you were saying you were doing that on the web. Changing the URL in IE or something. Gotcha.

#203128 - 30/08/04 12:38 AM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
You pay for access to any model and year, plus the rest of the content. Your $20 lets you suck down whatever you can from the entire site, no need to "change" the URL and think you're being clever about it.
Sheesh, all this time I thought I was really clever back then 1.5 years ago; thanks for bursting my bubble! [Finger]
What really sucks, I don't seem to have that 350Z FSM like I thought I did...so much for that self-fulfilling prophecy. frown

#203129 - 30/08/04 12:44 AM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterrabull Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioXterra:
Oh OK, I thought you were saying you were doing that on the web. Changing the URL in IE or something. Gotcha.
Yes, I was doing it on the web, changing the URL for each model/year for which I wanted to view the FSM pdf file. But apparently, as much as I can tell from offrdx's post, once you pay, you can just browse to the different FSMs by clicking on hyperlinks. I don't recall this at the time, but it's been 1.5 years & I really don't remember it that clearly.
Let us know how it works out!
Strange, such a nice & kind feature Nissan's got set up there!

#203130 - 01/09/04 03:20 AM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
ElectroKen Offline

Loc: Shelton, CT
The original loophole was the fact that you were able to bypass the payment screens if you knew the URL. For about a month, anything and everything you could download was free.

#203131 - 02/09/04 05:48 AM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
And what a fine month that was. I downloaded and printed the entire manual at work. smile

#203132 - 07/09/04 01:56 AM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
so you all are wasting your time trying to download this thing, format it, get a cd, hope it burns correctly or you could just pay someone for it let them make a bit of profit and everyone is happy and Nissan takes another hit!!!! thats a win win situation in my book.

Tim
You know, if you hate Nissan so much, why don't you get rid of your X and buy a Dodge or something to that accord?

It's getting old, really. Quit bitching about the same damn thing. [Sleep]

#203133 - 14/09/04 03:51 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
yes i hate nissan as you can read but not my truck. nissan as a corporation is piss poor at consumer relations and support. they survive because the products are good. and as long as i have my keyboard i will continue to bitch and piss off as many people as i wish. if you dont like it then dont read it, wow!!! what a concept!!

Tim [Finger]

Thomas Jefferson

#203134 - 14/09/04 03:52 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterra3202 Offline

forgot something the NEW Dodge Power Wagon.......WOW!!!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#203135 - 14/09/04 05:26 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I paid Nissan the $20. The manual has come in handy more times than I care to count.

Thanks NISSAN, sure you raped me like a transvestite prisoner, after I already forked a ton out on the truck, but hey.. what can you do right?

The ebay jerks [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown]

#203136 - 18/09/04 12:44 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
xterra3202 Offline

since i have no life i have been surfing my ebay purchased service manual. best 20 bucks ive ever spent. after simply reading what nissan themselves have written i now realize that my dealer is full of not only bull shit but that they are a bunch of blatant liars!!! i think ill go and print out the specific pages, manual transmission, and maybe show them how to do their fucking jobs!!!

Tim [LOL]

Thomas Jefferson

#203137 - 19/10/04 03:01 PM Re: Service Manual CD on Ebay?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In case anyone's still interested, the "loophole" is still in place. I passed the URL to the X SM to a friend and it pulled right up. Users guides and navigation systems are also in there.

They still aren't disabling the save function in the PDFs, and they aren't bothering to authenticate requests for them either. They're using javascript to pop the PDFs open in a new window, but it's not exactly challenging to get the direct URL. Only thing that sucks is the various sections are separate files. The index file for the service mans is always fwd.pdf.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal