shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204372 - 02/10/03 04:25 AM Rush Limbaugh.
Happy Birthday xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Looks like Captain Morality ain't so perfect after all. "Rush Limbaugh investigated for illegal drug purchases." Of course, I'm sure it's just the liberal media trumping something up, right Madman? :rolleyes:

#204373 - 02/10/03 04:40 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
If he did it then he should face the consequences. I find it hilarious that the article states he is being investigated for getting illegal prescription drugs, and almost completely ignores that subject to talk about his comments on ESPN. There is only one line in the second paragraph that actually talks about the drugs. And then one or two more in the paragraph after.

Living here in the Philadelphia area, I see McNab play week in and week out. If Limbaugh left out the racial stuff and just concentrated on the stuff about McNabb being overated as a quarterback this controversy wouldve been was smaller.

The real problem is that he had every right to say what he did. Just because a person makes a comment about race does not mean that he is a racist. The NFL has been making a very public effort to promote black coaches. The media around here as on a number of occasions referred to him and other as BLACK quarterbacks. The media around here on occasion has bandied about whether he is overrated. Can we honestly say that if James Carville made these statements people would go as crazy as this?

As a quarterback I too think he is overated. And by that I mean actual quarterback skills like accuracy and ability to read defenses and the like. He makes up for these deficiencies by being very mobile, fast, and tough. And he also has a gun for an arm. But the bottom line is that the Eagles defense has carried that team over the last few years. You may disagree with the method, but the statement had some merit. Even if it was not completely accurate. But hey, thats his opinion.

Now if we can find an article that ACTUALLY talks about the drugs...... Ahh, here\'s one.

edited to add...this story seems fishy, National Enquirer and all, but where there's smoke.... :rolleyes:

#204374 - 02/10/03 05:33 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrapin:

Looks like Captain Morality ain't so perfect after all. "Rush Limbaugh investigated for illegal drug purchases." Of course, I'm sure it's just the liberal media trumping something up, right Madman?
Damn... It's pile on Rush week.

A saw this on the NY Daily News site a couple of minutes ago. A lot to digest before I even finish my morning coffee.

I was never aware Rush was a paragon of morality but if that's how you see him, fine. His business is politics and entertainment. (His new business could be making Florida license plates). Hey.... You live in Florida... maybe you could visit him in jail.

Bottom line ... we will have to wait and see. It is after all The National Enquirer that is making these allegations. The maid sold the story to them? I'm sure the DA's office is real happy with her selling this story while there is an ongoing investigation. It could jeopardize any immunity agreements she made with the prosecutors office. After all she claimed that she was his supplier. Something doesn't sound right about how this is unfolding.

We will have to see what this investigation turns up.

Plus I just heard on the radio he is having a press conference at 9AM.

If the guy is guilty... he did it to himself and will have to answer to the law. Then maybe his show can be replaced by a guy that talks about conservative issues and the problems that face this country. Not just Republican Party issues.

#204375 - 02/10/03 05:42 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
off2cjb Offline

The big Democratic candidates call on ESPN to fire Rush for his non-racial comments, but the same three do not call on the Chicago Cubs organization to fire Dusty Baker for his racial comments. How interesting.

#204376 - 02/10/03 05:54 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
MBFlyerfan Offline

Rush Limbaugh is not some diety we conservatives hold upon high. In fact, I think he is mostly just a schill for the Party. I agree with him sometimes, I disagree with him sometimes. Just Like I agree with O'reilly sometimes, I disagree with him sometimes. I like Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity. There is no one out there that any of us completely agrees with all of the time. Then we would be just robots. But I find that if I agree with that person the majority of the time (remember thats only 51%!) I tend to listen to what they have to say. Listening to what a person has to say is not the same as doing what they say.

But I still cant listen to James Carville. (How does that marriage work? [Uh Oh !] )

#204377 - 02/10/03 05:58 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

The real problem is that he had every right to say what he did. Just because a person makes a comment about race does not mean that he is a racist.
No, the problem is that as a high-profile personality, he needs to know what to say and what not to say.

And yes, he absolutely has every right to say what he said.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#204378 - 02/10/03 06:09 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
I've always liked rush. I'm not sure if I like him as a sports commentator, however, his career" there didn't last long enough to form a strong opinion).

Two things I'll add here:

1. Sports radio is a bacterial swamp of opinions. Its the nature of the job. They have every right to express their opinions and you have every right to change the channel. I think the "outrage" over his comments is a bit over hyped by the media and way "over-reported." Jimmy the Greek got less coverage when he prattled and spewed the shit about "Civil war era slave owners breeding their big black bucks to their biggest women to produce bigger stronger blacks and that's where todays athletes come from."

2. The current NFL is completely infested with racism. How on earth can Dennis Green get away with suing the Lions organization? He was invited to an interview, he turned it down, they hired a different coach, who happened to be white, and suddenly Dennis believes he was discrimminated against? BS. That's only one example, but there's more.

Personally, I believe the media DOES "over hype" black quarterbacks to a certain extent. If I hear one more local clear channel or disney owned sports caster glorify Dante Culpepper as God's second born, I'll hurt somebody. He had more fumbles last year BY HIMSELF than 28 other ENTIRE TEAMS did last year and he finished with a major loosing record. He's on pace to fumble as many times this year and he hasn't decisively beaten ANYBODY, yet Gus Frerote's flawless performance last Sunday has gone completely unreported, unannounced, and un-covered by the local sports talk. The guys on KFAN even announced that they were going to start "hanging up on callers who wanted to suggest that Gus start next week." You can't tell me Rush was "wrong."

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#204379 - 02/10/03 06:44 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You guys are going to flip out, but I honestly think that Rush is getting a bum deal with this. Watching the clip on Yahoo, it wasn't that offensive. He was stating a position in a debate type argument, and I wasn't offended when he said it...

The truth of the matter is that what he's saying is right. There IS a push to be less discriminatory in the NFL. But that's not a BAD thing. The effort is being made, and that's all that me and my lefty friends are asking for. A little bit of effort to make things better. smile

#204380 - 02/10/03 06:49 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
You guys are going to flip out, but I honestly think that Rush is getting a bum deal with this. Watching the clip on Yahoo, it wasn't that offensive. He was stating a position in a debate type argument, and I wasn't offended when he said it...

The truth of the matter is that what he's saying is right. There IS a push to be less discriminatory in the NFL. But that's not a BAD thing. The effort is being made, and that's all that me and my lefty friends are asking for. A little bit of effort to make things better. smile
You and I agree for once. It seems that today when someone makes a comment that just INVOLVES race anymore. The media starts the whole insensitive racism BS. It PC run amok. It all started getting crazy when Cosell made his "Monkey" comment. There wasnt a racist bone in that man's body.

#204381 - 02/10/03 06:59 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
The NFLs new 'anti-discrimination' policies are racist in nature. Just like affirmative action, the policies insinuate that minorities are to stupid to get somewhere on their own. Fining the Lions like they did should be a crime.

#204382 - 02/10/03 07:01 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
The NFLs new 'anti-discrimination' policies are racist in nature. Just like affirmative action, the policies insinuate that minorities are to stupid to get somewhere on their own. Fining the Lions like they did should be a crime.
Beside, no matter how you slice it, Mariuchi was the best candidate.

#204383 - 02/10/03 07:05 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
2001frontier Offline

Yep, but that doesn't mean anything. We have to give the poor millionaire TV announcers the job ahead of them because their skin is a different color. If we don't we are evil white men, trying to keep a brother down.

#204384 - 02/10/03 07:20 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

It seems that today when someone makes a comment that just INVOLVES race anymore. The media starts the whole insensitive racism BS. It PC run amok. It all started getting crazy when Cosell made his "Monkey" comment. There wasnt a racist bone in that man's body.
True... But it's even worse than that. There is a double standard there too. How come a Democrat senator can use the N word on a radio show and no one raised a stink. One of the Democrat candidates for governor in CA has used the N word in public. No one said a thing.

There is a double, double standard. Minorities can say anything offensive against whites, jews and no one says a thing. Democrats can say racist things and it is overlooked.

A white republican or conservative says anything that can even remotely be construed or twisted out of context and they want to put him up against a firing squad.

Rush's comment about McNabb was not racist. It also was directed at the media, not McNabb.

#204385 - 02/10/03 07:28 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
How come a Democrat senator can use the N word on a radio show and no one raised a stink. One of the Democrat candidates for governor in CA has used the N word in public. No one said a thing.
Give me a name and a link.

Quote:
There is a double, double standard. Minorities can say anything offensive against whites, jews and no one says a thing. Democrats can say racist things and it is overlooked.
You want some cheese with your whine?

Quote:
A white republican or conservative says anything that can even remotely be construed or twisted out of context and they want to put him up against a firing squad.
Cheddar or Swiss?

#204386 - 02/10/03 07:34 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
2001frontier Offline

How about proving his statement wrong? The double standard in this country most definately exists.

#204387 - 02/10/03 07:37 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blah blah blah.

When he provides a link, then I can debate. Until then, it's just hearsay and inadmissable in court.

#204388 - 02/10/03 07:38 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
2001frontier Offline

I did not know we were in a court. :rolleyes: The CA governor candidate would be one Cruz Bustamante. I guess it is OK for him though since he is a minority.

#204389 - 02/10/03 07:43 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:

You want some cheese with your whine?

Cheddar or Swiss?
That's the best your educated, enlightened and progressive mind can come up with?

Are we to assume you agree with these double standards?

Some links:
Sen. Robert C. Byrd\'s (D-W.Va.) using the N word. The media seemed to have overlooked it and the NAACP forgave him right away.

Cruz Bustamante says the N word. This is a link to a liberal web site also. The media conveniently forgot about that. Cruz is also linked to the racist organization La Raza. The media is overlooking that.

All the while the LA Times is printing all kinds of shit today about Arnold 5 days before the election... and this is stuff they sought out and held until today.

But there is no bias in the media right?

#204390 - 02/10/03 07:46 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Just exactly what role does Rush Limbaugh play in the grand scheme of things anyway? Why do people hang on his every word, or jump at the chance to smack him down? He's just another windbag that has somehow found an audience when he should be ignored.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#204391 - 02/10/03 07:59 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
He's just another windbag that has somehow found an audience when he should be ignored.
Pot calling the kettle black . . .
laugh

#204392 - 02/10/03 07:59 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
DAMN! Our company normally goes to NAB Radio. This year we aren't (it's happening right now). And who is a keynote speaker? Rush. In Philly! That'd been pretty interesting, really.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#204393 - 02/10/03 08:00 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Pot calling the kettle black . . .
laugh
eek

I mean, pot calling the kettle color-to-be-determined . . . didn't mean to imply . . . I mean, I never . . .

Oh shit . . .

#204394 - 02/10/03 08:12 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Touche` Graham, that's funny (first reply)

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#204395 - 02/10/03 08:18 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Look...all of them apologized for it.

Bustamante obviously didn't mean anything by it. He's (as the article says) apologized for it over and over. That's why nobody's reported it, because he apologized for it immediatly.

Byrd apologized also! I'm no fan of Byrd (he's kind of the crazy old man...he's the democrat version of Strom Thurmond), but he apologized. If they apologize, and know they're wrong, then there's no reason to report it, because there's no story or mystery there.

The Arnold story is old news. It's basically a reprint of an article written in Premiere magazine two years ago. The information has always been out there. I'm no fan of Gray Davis either (the man gives Democrats a bad name), and I'm actually rooting for Arnold. I think he has some good MODERATE ideas. But it's OLD NEWS.

Please, I beg of you, tell me...what is your point??

#204396 - 02/10/03 08:19 AM Re: Rush Limbaugh.
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
He'd feel right at home, here in the XOC ALR, Brent.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal