2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#204850 - 09/10/03 07:06 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
I give up. Uncle. Oh, you got me. Damn, do I feel dumb now.
You have to realize your up against a brick wall here, they're so brainwashed by conservative outlets that they begin to believe everything really IS a liberal conspiracy, and they won't change.

It's fun to throw mud at the wall and make fun of it but soon the fun wears off and you just end up throwing insults at it.

Don't let it get you that far. You should have walked away as soon as they started with the personal attacks.

The rest of us thought the link was funny, but we already knew that FOX wasn't the most reliable source for un-biased information. Hell back in September 12th 2001, I remember making a post where I was pissed that FOX was reporting stories that 30 minutes later they were retracting. Even the corespondent apologised saying something like, "Sometimes in a rush to be the first to report a story we don't verify the information we report."

We got it, now let the blind lead the blind, and laugh at the stories they tell themselves to justify their extreme right-wing beliefs.

Xterra101.com

#204851 - 10/10/03 06:29 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
[b]I give up. Uncle. Oh, you got me. Damn, do I feel dumb now.
You have to realize your up against a brick wall here, they're so brainwashed by conservative outlets that they begin to believe everything really IS a liberal conspiracy, and they won't change.

It's fun to throw mud at the wall and make fun of it but soon the fun wears off and you just end up throwing insults at it.

Don't let it get you that far. You should have walked away as soon as they started with the personal attacks.

The rest of us thought the link was funny, but we already knew that FOX wasn't the most reliable source for un-biased information. Hell back in September 12th 2001, I remember making a post where I was pissed that FOX was reporting stories that 30 minutes later they were retracting. Even the corespondent apologised saying something like, "Sometimes in a rush to be the first to report a story we don't verify the information we report."

We got it, now let the blind lead the blind, and laugh at the stories they tell themselves to justify their extreme right-wing beliefs.[/b]
Me brainwashed by conservative news outlets... Me believe all the Right wing propaganda that Newsweek, Time, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS and NPR report. Me know that even though more than 90% of people in the news media are Democrats and/or liberals, they are endowed by their creator with a much better capacity to be objective than the evil Republican/conservatives.
[Finger]

#204852 - 10/10/03 06:35 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant:
Me know that even though more than 90% of people in the news media are Democrats and/or liberals,
Ah.... Care to show a source for that claim?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#204853 - 13/10/03 09:31 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Me know that even though more than 90% of people in the news media are Democrats and/or liberals,
Ah.... Care to show a source for that claim?[/b]
90% may have been an overstatement, but less than 10% are conservative or Republican. That leaves 90% that are moderate to liberal, independent to Democrat. Here is but one source, my friend...

Quote:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/specialreports/news/tcstat.html

Reporters voted overwhelmingly for Clinton, call themselves liberal and had little respect for the Contract with America:

89% of Washington reporters voted for Bill Clinton in 1992.

7% voted for George Bush in 1992.

61% called themselves "liberal" or "moderate to liberal."

9% "conservative" or "moderate to conservative."

50% said they are Democrats.

4% are Republicans.

59% called the Contract with America "an election year campaign ploy."

3% thought it was "a serious reform proposal."

Source: Roper Center poll for the Freedom Forum of 139 Washington bureau chiefs and congressional correspondents, released April 1996.

#204854 - 13/10/03 09:39 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

More interesting info about the media and the public's perception of it. (circa 1996)

Quote:
The following are the results of a poll (December, 1996) conducted by Louis Harris and Associates for the nonpartisan Center for Media and Public Affairs:

1) most Americans think that the media are biased. Almost half (49%) think that the media usually don't "get the facts straight."

2) some two-thirds believe the media don't "deal fairly with all sides" in social and political reporting.

3) almost three-fourths of Americans see a "fair amount" or "great deal" of political bias in the news. And by more than a 2-to-1 ratio, poll resondents said that bias is liberal rather than conservative (43%-19%).

4) more than 60% of Americans surveyed prefer the media to "simply report the facts" and not "weigh the facts and offer suggestions about how to solve problems." This is a sharp break from ABC News' motto "News With Solutions."

5) some 65% do not believe that "journalists should point out what they believe are inaccuracies and distortions in the statements of public figures."

6) nearly 60% believe the news media have "too much influence."

7) some 47% think journalists have values different from their own.
This is kinda funny...

Quote:
"The old argument that the networks and other 'media elites' have a liberal bias is so blatantly true that it's hardly worth discussing anymore. No, we don't sit around in dark corners and plan how we will slant the news. It comes naturally to most reporters"
CBS News correspondent Bernard Goldberg, Feb 13, 1996 Wall Street Journal op-ed.
Source - Times Mirror Center for the people and the Press, May 1995

#204855 - 13/10/03 12:34 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Me know that even though more than 90% of people in the news media are Democrats and/or liberals,
Ah.... Care to show a source for that claim?[/b]
90% may have been an overstatement, but less than 10% are conservative or Republican. That leaves 90% that are moderate to liberal, independent to Democrat. Here is but one source, my friend...

Quote:
http://www.mediaresearch.org/specialreports/news/tcstat.html

Reporters voted overwhelmingly for Clinton, call themselves liberal and had little respect for the Contract with America:

89% of Washington reporters voted for Bill Clinton in 1992.

7% voted for George Bush in 1992.

61% called themselves "liberal" or "moderate to liberal."

9% "conservative" or "moderate to conservative."

50% said they are Democrats.

4% are Republicans.

59% called the Contract with America "an election year campaign ploy."

3% thought it was "a serious reform proposal."

Source: Roper Center poll for the Freedom Forum of 139 Washington bureau chiefs and congressional correspondents, released April 1996.
[/b]
So 139 Washington media members speak for the whole country? 61% liberal/moderate. 9% conservative/moderate. What happened to the other 30%?

Oh...and that link doesn't work.

But...from the same website:

"There is no convincing evidence that journalists infect their stories — intentionally or otherwise — with their own political prejudices....While a few studies suggest such a link, most are the handiwork of right-leaning groups and critics whose research methods can’t withstand scrutiny....The credibility of the media is not suffering because of a liberal bias; it’s suffering, in large part, because of the continuing charge of bias that has gone unanswered for too long." — Everette Dennis, Senior VP of the Freedom Forum, in the January-February 1997 edition of ASNE’s magazine, The American Editor.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#204856 - 13/10/03 01:10 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

Bernard Goldberg seems to disagree with her.

As far as only polling 139 Washington correspondants, since Washington is the center of the Federal government, (and national politics) and because many local news sources get stories from AP, Reuters, etc, these numbers are applicable to the nation. When it comes to local and state politics, your news source may be different, but if you are getting any news from the networks, there's a good chance it's skewed by the left leaning press in D.C.

Oh, and the missing 30% are probably Greens or Communist party members. laugh

#204857 - 13/10/03 02:11 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Oh, and the missing 30% are probably Greens or Communist party members. laugh
Well...not all of them. Some (maybe 1% of the 30%) are Nazi's and Fascists.

laugh Back atcha.

#204858 - 13/10/03 02:12 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Bernard Goldberg seems to disagree with her.
The thing I find interesting is she said that after the poll you mentioned. I wonder about that. Either she didn't read that data, or they had something after it we haven't seen.

#204859 - 14/10/03 01:43 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
The following are the results of a poll (December, 1996) conducted by Louis Harris and Associates for the nonpartisan Center for Media and Public Affairs:

1) most Americans think that the media are biased. Almost half (49%) think that the media usually don't "get the facts straight."

2) some two-thirds believe the media don't "deal fairly with all sides" in social and political reporting.

3) almost three-fourths of Americans see a "fair amount" or "great deal" of political bias in the news. And by more than a 2-to-1 ratio, poll resondents said that bias is liberal rather than conservative (43%-19%).

4) more than 60% of Americans surveyed prefer the media to "simply report the facts" and not "weigh the facts and offer suggestions about how to solve problems." This is a sharp break from ABC News' motto "News With Solutions."

5) some 65% do not believe that "journalists should point out what they believe are inaccuracies and distortions in the statements of public figures."

I agree with all of those points (except #3) but I think that the news is biased to be more conservative. Since that poll was done in '96 I think alot has changed, since 9/11 the news has gotten the idea that if you don't support the invasion of another country then you're "Un-patriotic" or soft on terrorism.

I can also see how they got the results from #3, I belive that many people (especially then) think of the news as being liberal biased because it shows both sides of the story, good and bad, and not just the "We're #1" typical US superiority.

If the news were liberal you'd see alot more stories on environmental conservation: we're running out of oil, Bush endorses more logging, weaker standards of arsnic in drinking water. And more stories about loss of civil rights; when was the last time you heard a story on the US PATRIOT Act? In my opinion the PATRIOT act and the PATRIOT Act II are some of the most un-constitutional things to happen to our country, yet the "Liberal" media hardly acknowledges its presence. The ACLU has the PATRIOT act plastered all over its web page but you never see any discussion about it on mainstream news.

Xterra101.com

#204860 - 14/10/03 06:55 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Oh, and the missing 30% are probably Greens or Communist party members. laugh
Some (maybe 1% of the 30%) are Nazi's and Fascists.
[/b]
Yeah, I forgot about Pat Buchanan... laugh [LOL]

#204861 - 14/10/03 07:25 AM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
Andre the Giant Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
Quote:
[b]The following are the results of a poll (December, 1996) conducted by Louis Harris and Associates for the nonpartisan Center for Media and Public Affairs:

If the news were liberal you'd see alot more stories on environmental conservation: we're running out of oil, Bush endorses more logging, weaker standards of arsnic in drinking water. And more stories about loss of civil rights; when was the last time you heard a story on the US PATRIOT Act? In my opinion the PATRIOT act and the PATRIOT Act II are some of the most un-constitutional things to happen to our country, yet the "Liberal" media hardly acknowledges its presence. The ACLU has the PATRIOT act plastered all over its web page but you never see any discussion about it on mainstream news.[/b]
I disagree, I think there are plenty of stories about the environment and how Bush is a "Big Oil" man who wants to ruin everything. Examples:

When Bush took office, he proposed letting the park service or the forest service do some selective clearing to prevent or reduce forest fires out west. This proposal was met with fierce opposition by democrats, some of whom had pushed through similar legislation that would allow their states to do just that. My observation was that the mainstream media only reported that Bush wanted to allow loggers access to public land. (please, report all the facts)

The topic of drilling in ANWAR came up and there was a lot of BS flying around. The press would readily report how drilling would harm the wildlife, yet they seldom mentioned the fact that elsewhere in Alaska, wildlife seems unimpacted by drilling. Bush was painted as pro-oil industry and anti-environment. Once again... my observation.

Bush has consistantly endorsed renewable energy sources, alternative fuels, hybrid technology, etc. He angered some in his own party by increasing the fuel economy standards for automobiles. Yet I have to go to Fox News, Neil Boortz or conservative websites to find anyone reporting on those topics. Everytime I tune in to CNN, ABC or CBS, there is report where an environmental activist is bashing the current administration for wanting to destroy the environment.

There's so much more to my reasoning that the media is liberal. But if it makes you feel any better, I watch and read a variety of news sources, not just Fox, and I'm skeptical of all of them.

As far as the Patriot Act goes, I don't know why the press hasn't reported on it. The legislation is way too intrusive. It reminds me of something that Clinton would have done. It proves that neither political party is interested in preserving our civil liberties.

#204862 - 15/10/03 04:40 PM Re: Fox News Breeds Ignorance
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
holy flying monkeys batman this is still going on. i thought this was done when we all agreed that WilMac is full of shit and that link. everyone knows that the media is liberal and tries to point out conservatives problems at any given chance and downplay liberals. oh well who the hell cares, ALL politicians are cheats, crooks, sell-outs, and slimy bottom dwelling toilet trash. maybe some are decent humans but they are so few and far between they dont even matter. oh well just adding flames and nitro to the fire, my works done. cool [Argue]

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal