shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205517 - 25/08/03 08:03 AM Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Xterra Rick Offline

Loc: Malta NY
This is screwed up....what the hell is going on with society today??? [Freak] [Huh?]

http://www.app.com/app2001/story/0,21133,795694,00.html

The kicker was that they couldnt read the street signs..but they have a drivers licence....

#205518 - 25/08/03 08:07 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Any wonder why navagation systems are available on almost all cars nowadays ?
laugh

#205519 - 25/08/03 08:19 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
"Lawson said he believes the couple had difficultly returning home because neither Meneses-Zehuancatzi nor Rojas speaks or reads English well, making the highway signs impossible to understand."

Coincidence? I think not! :p

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#205520 - 25/08/03 09:05 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
neither Meneses-Zehuancatzi nor Rojas speaks or reads English well, making the highway signs impossible to understand.
I can understand tourists having this problem, but don't these people LIVE in your country? How the hell can they get a drivers license without understanding English? Last time I checked your roadsigns weren't in Spanish. Although that would look pretty cool. cool

Hola! El Exito en 5 km!

#205521 - 25/08/03 09:14 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Xterra Rick Offline

I had to wonder about the part where they had to bring a friend to the hospital that had given birth to a premie....so let me get this straight..they didnt call an ambulence for the premature birth???? They all just jumped into a mitsu eclipse [Freak] (the woman, boyfriend, kid that was supposedly kidnapped, and woman that just had given birth to a premie)...yeah...ok...but the way its about a 10 mile trip from there to the hospital! [Uh Oh !]

#205522 - 25/08/03 09:28 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Well, heck, look at how many different languages in which your local DMV offers both the handbook and the written exam. I'm not sure if there's a difference among individual states, but around here, I think there are at least 5 or 6 handbooks. They'll even provide an interpreter if they don't have an exam in your native language. Also, with regards to recognizing road signs, I don't recall having to be able to identify (or follow) street signs and you can easily teach someone the "major" directional signs by looking for shape and or color, so being able to read English isn't all THAT much of a factor. After the test, they can forget about them since hardly anyone else pays attention to STOP or YIELD signs anyhow, so they'll fit right in. wink

I'm not sure a navigational system would've helped that couple...or are some of the systems available in different languages?

#205523 - 25/08/03 09:30 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Morons I tell ya. Send 'em back where they came from, they have no business in this country if they can't even read road signs and realize they've travelled through 4 freakin' states, much less to think that driving for hours in the same direction will get them home!

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#205524 - 25/08/03 09:42 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
You would think at least when they hit the Delaware bridge it would have sparked something...

"Hey...I don't remember this huge ass bridge!"

Can hardly read English...ok. But you'd think they would at LEAST know "Welcome" and "To" and either "Delaware" "Maryland" or "Virginia." At least ONE of them.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#205525 - 25/08/03 09:48 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
daventx Offline

Loc: Midtown Houston, Texas
Well I hate to break it to ya but In Houston they went as far as to have road signs in Spanish, Vietnamese, English and in some parts Chinese.
To me this is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen.
So when you see street signs downtown they look like a CHristmans tree from all the different signs on the polls.

#205526 - 25/08/03 09:59 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Bucweet X Offline

Loc: Houston TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra Rick:
I had to wonder about the part where they had to bring a friend to the hospital that had given birth to a premie....so let me get this straight..they didnt call an ambulence for the premature birth???? They all just jumped into a mitsu eclipse [Freak] (the woman, boyfriend, kid that was supposedly kidnapped, and woman that just had given birth to a premie)...yeah...ok...but the way its about a 10 mile trip from there to the hospital! [Uh Oh !]
"The couple told police they left their home Thursday night to take a friend, whose wife had given birth to a premature baby, to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch."

#205527 - 25/08/03 10:14 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Xterra Rick Offline

ahhh...but still

read that part a bit too fast...

#205528 - 25/08/03 11:08 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Your tax dollars and police at work...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#205529 - 25/08/03 11:34 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by A Katonk:
Well, heck, look at how many different languages in which your local DMV offers both the handbook and the written exam. I'm not sure if there's a difference among individual states, but around here, I think there are at least 5 or 6 handbooks. They'll even provide an interpreter if they don't have an exam in your native language. Also, with regards to recognizing road signs, I don't recall having to be able to identify (or follow) street signs and you can easily teach someone the "major" directional signs by looking for shape and or color, so being able to read English isn't all THAT much of a factor. After the test, they can forget about them since hardly anyone else pays attention to STOP or YIELD signs anyhow, so they'll fit right in. wink

I'm not sure a navigational system would've helped that couple...or are some of the systems available in different languages?
Well thing is - no matter what languages they got drivers books in - driving exam still ought to be done with english speaking officer (thats why i didnt let my wife to get even written exam in other lang).. So what the heck they done for that? Plus its not like you have to READ signs.. Its as simple as memorizing pictures.

I mean hey - so they wont ever been in forest? You just memorizing where you going and tracking back, if you stupid enough to not able determine where you have to go (i.e not capable of finding north or something like that).

Plus - there are LOTS of policemen and just regular people who actually wont bite if you ask them directions...

*sighs*

#205530 - 25/08/03 11:48 AM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
babyX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
I can understand tourists having this problem, but don't these people LIVE in your country? How the hell can they get a drivers license without understanding English?
Same way lots of immigrants do in Vancouver -- they buy them.

#205531 - 25/08/03 12:21 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
;(
i know couple of people who purchased licenses

It looks like it is easy to do in PA and CT
3000 for PA and 3500 for CT ( or was it other way around , i forgot )

In NY you CAN take a written test in one of 10-15 languages, but the driving test is only in English

#205532 - 25/08/03 01:18 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uzbad:
Well thing is - no matter what languages they got drivers books in - driving exam still ought to be done with english speaking officer (thats why i didnt let my wife to get even written exam in other lang).. So what the heck they done for that? Plus its not like you have to READ signs.. Its as simple as memorizing pictures.
Well, things like "Stop" and "Right turn only" can be memorized (in fact, I think they are international symbols), but signs like..... "broadway next exit" or "davis street north" are harder to memorize.

This brings up the whole "driving is a priviledge" debate. Why is it so hard to learn enough english to get around? That should be a basic requirement for getting a license. I don't know why its not.

#205533 - 25/08/03 01:23 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Trihead Offline

Loc: Austin Texas
It should be a minimum to get a resident alien card or citizenship or a discount card at Krogers. I am traveling abroad in 05 and will be trying to learn German out of repect for the local population.

While in the Navy back in the day. I would try to learn as much as I could before I hit port. The local young ladies always were willing to help if you tried. smile It worked very well

#205534 - 25/08/03 01:51 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Trihead:
It should be a minimum to get a resident alien card or citizenship or a discount card at Krogers. I am traveling abroad in 05 and will be trying to learn German out of repect for the local population
Good grief... I dont know how old are you, but learning German is serious pita smile Its seriously different from English.. then again - so is English from Russian cool

#205535 - 25/08/03 02:07 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Trihead Offline

Loc: Austin Texas
Dude I am old. 40 I know a little my mother is German and I recognize a lot of what I hear so I am not starting from scratch. I doubt I will get as far as speaking it without help but I feel if you are in someone elses country you gotta make an effort.

#205536 - 25/08/03 02:12 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
but learning German is serious pita smile Its seriously different from English.. then again - so is English from Russian cool
German isn't *that* difficult to learn if you know English.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#205537 - 25/08/03 02:47 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b] but learning German is serious pita smile Its seriously different from English.. then again - so is English from Russian cool
German isn't *that* difficult to learn if you know English.[/b]
Considering the majority of the english language has more of its roots in the Germanic languages as opposed to the romantic languages like French, Italian, Spanish, it would seem like it wouldnt be any harder. Vermisst, gefallen, verwundete=missing, fallen(as in dead), and wounded. You can see the similarities in the words. There are many like this. German is cool.

#205538 - 25/08/03 04:30 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:
German is cool.
Yep. Wish I had kept up with it. Haven't touched it in about 6 years.

#205539 - 25/08/03 08:31 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
Stone4x4 Offline

Loc: Chandler AZ
I think the lost people should sue the crap out of all those States for not making signs in a language they can understand.

And that cop needs to go to jail for not being able to converse with them. And only seven bucks? I mean c'mon. He lives off of the taxpayers and makes a killing compared to those people, who by the way are only doing jobs we won't do. Who cares if the cash came out of his pocket, he had a twenty in there for sure.

We need to all band together to ban this type of wanton abandonment of our immigrants. Please join me in learning every language and help me to pay to have every single thing (well except Spanish only billboards, they are okay) printed and made with every single language known to man, including Klingon. Would not want to exclude anyone. Because, doggone it, only then will we all be able to join together around a simulated fire in a big paved lot, with no hazards to anyone or our environment, and sing Kumbaya so that every person, person and person (formerly man women and child, removed due to ACLU regs...) can know all the words.

Because that should truly be our goal. Thank you.

#205540 - 25/08/03 09:56 PM Re: Couple missing with child got lost (whacked)
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Stone4x4:

I think the lost people should sue the crap out of all those States for not making signs in a language they can understand.

And that cop needs to go to jail for not being able to converse with them. And only seven bucks? I mean c'mon. He lives off of the taxpayers and makes a killing compared to those people, who by the way are only doing jobs we won't do. Who cares if the cash came out of his pocket, he had a twenty in there for sure.

We need to all band together to ban this type of wanton abandonment of our immigrants. Please join me in learning every language and help me to pay to have every single thing (well except Spanish only billboards, they are okay) printed and made with every single language known to man, including Klingon. Would not want to exclude anyone. Because, doggone it, only then will we all be able to join together around a simulated fire in a big paved lot, with no hazards to anyone or our environment, and sing Kumbaya so that every person, person and person (formerly man women and child, removed due to ACLU regs...) can know all the words.

Because that should truly be our goal. Thank you.
Ahh Stone....

We don't call them immigrants anymore. The updated rules of "newspeak" require you to use a hyphen. For example we would call them Hispanic-Americans. We are all hyphenated now.

If they were illegal immigrants, we don't call them that either. We use the terms "undocumented aliens" or "migrant workers".

I am glad you mentioned the taxpayers should pay for everything. After all, the taxpayers are nothing but capitalists who got rich via racism and abuses of a more noble victimized class of people. In the People's Republic of America the only thing that is important is to be a member of a victimized group. You are never responsible for your personal behavior.

Anyone who thinks these "noble victimized people" are morons or stupid, should be thrown in jail for 5 years for "hate thought crimes"..... [Uh Oh !]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal