shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205562 - 14/07/03 03:41 PM 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Claus Offline

The beef producers in Canada are dying, the closed borders and Japan refusing to accept imports are both major causes to the disaster in the beef industry. 1 Case of Madcow decease which can NOT be transmitted to humans is costing the industry $11 million a day.

The major Grocery chains in Canada are now supporting the beef industry by selling beef at $1 CANADIAN a pound, imagine buying a full side of beef for as little as $750. happy BBQ season

My father inlaw is a cattle rancher with a current stock of 29.000 heads where half are due to be sold in 6 weeks, which means he is out of business if nothing changes.

How is the whole situation viewed in the US?. are the beef prices higher due to less supply?.

#205563 - 14/07/03 05:01 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I love beef. I eat the hell out of it, but I get mine (by the side) from a rancher I'm acquainted with. No feed containing crushed dead cows ever crosses the lips of the ones I eat. Not paranoid about Mad Cow or anything like that, but pasture cattle just tastes a whole lot better than the feed-lot fed crap-cow in the grocery store. Costs a lot less, more lean. Worth the price of the freezer to store it in 10 times over...

I wonder if we even get much of our beef from Canada. Maybe the processed stuff, like Mickey-Dee's burger patties and such, come from across the border, but do the tri-tip's and top sirloin's in the meat department over at the Piggly Wiggly really make that long of a journey? I doubt it.

Anyway, wish you and your family the best. Economy sucks everywhere. And hey, if your father-in-law does get stuck with all those cows you could have a big BBQ at the next PNWX weekend outing!

#205564 - 14/07/03 05:03 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
To tell you the truth Claus I have heard nothing about this. I dont know how much Canada imports into the US (if at all)BUt it most likely doesnt come this far south if it is. So I guess thats why there hasnt been much news about it here, at least in the Philadelphia area. frown

#205565 - 14/07/03 05:45 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
That is screwed Claus!!! Hope Gwen's Dad survives this!

-Rick

#205566 - 14/07/03 08:22 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Welcome to the world of capitalism.

The closer an issue comes to your wallet, the more passionate you become about it.

It's good to see that your wife's inheritance is turning you into a capitalist. Losing millions hurts when it hits home.

Congratulations. Be good to her....

Actually... Mad Cow disease can be transmitted to humans.

I think the price of beef has always been high here in NY. It does seem to have noticeably climbed in price in the last year or so.

You would think with all the pot grown and smoked in Canada that hamburgers would be a big thing for the munchies up there? [Uh Oh !]

#205567 - 14/07/03 08:28 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus A Christensen:

The beef producers in Canada are dying, the closed borders and Japan refusing to accept imports are both major causes to the disaster in the beef industry. 1 Case of Madcow decease which can NOT be transmitted to humans is costing the industry $11 million a day.
Since when can bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) NOT be transmitted to humans? The infecting protein itself needs at least 1000 degrees F of heat to fully denature. I work in biotech and I can tell you first hand that the FDA in this country (as well as equilivant agencies in other countries) would like the industry as a whole stop using ALL bovine derived ingredients completly (a lot of cell cultures still use FBS). Can the Canadian government prove no other cattle have the diease? Do the cattle farms in Canada still allow the feeding of cow to cow?

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#205568 - 14/07/03 08:43 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I care as much about the price of beef as I do about buying gas. I just buy it without any thought to the price.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#205569 - 14/07/03 08:54 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Quote:

[b]The beef producers in Canada are dying, the closed borders and Japan refusing to accept imports are both major causes to the disaster in the beef industry. 1 Case of Madcow decease which can NOT be transmitted to humans is costing the industry $11 million a day.
Since when can bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) NOT be transmitted to humans? The infecting protein itself needs at least 1000 degrees F of heat to fully denature. I work in biotech and I can tell you first hand that the FDA in this country (as well as equilivant agencies in other countries) would like the industry as a whole stop using ALL bovine derived ingredients completly (a lot of cell cultures still use FBS). Can the Canadian government prove no other cattle have the diease? Do the cattle farms in Canada still allow the feeding of cow to cow?[/b]
Feeding Cow to Cow has been illegal in Canada for some time, There was NO proof that the one cow that tested positive got it from contaminated feed. There has been no other symptoms on any other farm in Canada, Testing is changing here. There is actually speculation that the lone cow was a 2nd generation that came from the states. I talked to the vet at my father inlaws hospital (they are so big the have their own) he said it could have been spontanious??. I was also told that the beef itself is not contaminated?.

70% of the beef produced in Canada is exported to the US and other countries.

I guess I will have to buy a freezer for all that tenderloin and striploin we have coming our way....

#205570 - 14/07/03 09:01 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Welcome to the world of capitalism.

The closer an issue comes to your wallet, the more passionate you become about it.

It's good to see that your wife's inheritance is turning you into a capitalist. Losing millions hurts when it hits home.

Congratulations. Be good to her....

Actually... Mad Cow disease can be transmitted to humans.

I think the price of beef has always been high here in NY. It does seem to have noticeably climbed in price in the last year or so.

You would think with all the pot grown and smoked in Canada that hamburgers would be a big thing for the munchies up there? [Uh Oh !]
Well Madman I have always considered myself a capitalist. I hope we do not enherit the family business, they, as most farmers are int eh hole for millions, work 18 hour days and get depressed if it rains the wrong days.

Besides the Feedlot (29.000 heads) they farm about 19.000 acres a year, all the crop is used to feed. It takes 8.5 hours to do one feeding which is done 2wice a day, Summer winter (they get 30 below most of the winter). They have a machine shop that employs 3 full time mechanics...just to give you a scale of business...naaah I stick to sitting in my office loosing money on selling Airline tickets to Business travelers.

and thank you for the congratulatory, she is a keeper..a true farm gal who can drive a semi and buck a horse.

In regards to the Pot comment...think about it the majority of potheads up here are treehuggers.....vegans or what ever they call themselves

#205571 - 14/07/03 09:15 PM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
70% of the beef produced in Canada is exported to the US and other countries.

I guess I will have to buy a freezer for all that tenderloin and striploin we have coming our way....
To be honest, I don't think it would cause a dent if Canadian beef wasn't sent down.

Doing a search, it showed Canada sending about 238,000 tons to the US in 1999. In 2002, US production alone was 3,567,861 tons in just 2 months. (Though I couldn't tell if the Canadian site was talking metric tons or not.)

Myself...if I could, I would always order beef from Indiana. Screw this angus shit. Give me Hereford's.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#205572 - 15/07/03 07:56 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
We got plenty of our own cows to eat down here.

#205573 - 15/07/03 08:27 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I care as much about the price of beef as I do about buying gas. I just buy it without any thought to the price.

Brent
So Brent, what do you care about? :rolleyes:

#205574 - 15/07/03 08:58 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Brent does not care about anything. I meant above that we have plenty of beef in Texas to eat, not that I was against importing Canadian beef.

#205575 - 30/07/03 01:26 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
i8a4re Offline

Loc: Winnipeg/Calgary Canada
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the *1* infected cow's history traced back and discovered that the cow was purchased from the US?

Homer: What kind of mileage does this thing get?
McBain: One Highway, Zero City

#205576 - 30/07/03 10:42 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
I'd like 100 loonies worth of beef please. That has a funny sound to it...

#205577 - 30/07/03 10:49 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
babyX Offline

The part that gets me is that even if I go home (to canada) and purchase some beef product (like Oxo bouillon, which I can't find down here), I can't bring it back into the States. What a crock.

#205578 - 30/07/03 11:42 AM Re: 1LBS of beef for a loonie (canadian$)
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by i8a4re:
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the *1* infected cow's history traced back and discovered that the cow was purchased from the US?
That is a rumour which has not been proven. It is all political now, Japan is playing "Payback" for past times in not opening the import, They can not give anymore valid reasons for not opening as they has recieved assurances that all required measured has been implemented. As long as Japan does not open their doors the US are not going to either, If the US allowed import they would be banned from exporting to Japan.

13 days from now on a farm just North of Saskatoon SK 1460 perfect heads of steer will be culled without reason, 1460 cows could feed 2000 families for a month..it does not make sense, Gimme just 5 tenderloins and 100 T bone Steaks I'll gladly pay a couple of $100 for it.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal