shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207212 - 14/11/03 06:15 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
[b]Why not just pull over to the right and let the jerk pass? Your threshold for revenge is pretty low, huh?

:rolleyes:
You seems to miss the whole "it was a two lane road" you know... the kind with no shoulders?

[Wave]

edit..
And this brings to mind a saying I once heard.. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"[/b]
AND...You drive a 4X4...Designed for offraod use? I get off the road way too often to let the dumb shits pass.

The knucklehead got at least part of what he deserved.

#207213 - 14/11/03 06:20 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
Fortunately nobody was hurt or at least that is what we think. What about our insurance claims that go up because he had an accident. You didn't say that you attempted to get him off your back while he was tailgating you. Did you attempt anything other than helping to damage his car. Now if he would have rearended you then that would have been his help but you helped to damage his car. Nice job. You must be so proud.

For the record, I was rearended once by an SUV. The Land Rover did not drive away. Thank God no was hurt in that accident. Just some sheet metal damage to my truck. However, I would never knowingly damage some other persons vehicle. What you did is the same as keying someones vehicle. This my opinion and I don't expect you to agree.

#207214 - 14/11/03 06:21 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:

You seems to miss the whole "it was a two lane road" you know... the kind with no shoulders?

[Wave]

edit..
And this brings to mind a saying I once heard.. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
Your Xterra is a 4x4, right? Anyway, how do you know this guy wasn't rushing to the hospital or something? You don't because you didn't stop to find out.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207215 - 14/11/03 06:24 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]You seems to miss the whole "it was a two lane road" you know... the kind with no shoulders?

[Wave]

edit..
And this brings to mind a saying I once heard.. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
Your Xterra is a 4x4, right? Anyway, how do you know this guy wasn't rushing to the hospital or something? You don't because you didn't stop to find out.

:rolleyes: [/b]
Good point Sean. There could have been some type of emergency and you dicked him Carlton. Then again, maybe he was being a complete jerk.

#207216 - 14/11/03 06:29 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Finger] [Finger] [Finger] Mr. Beamer Man!

#207217 - 14/11/03 06:40 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:

First.. there was no place for me to go even IF that was where he was going (and if he was he was going the wrong way..) And why should I endanger myself by going off a paved road into a wet soft shoulder (with a steep incline) for some inconsiderate driver that likes to ride on peoples asses? I bet money that he drives like that all the time. At least did. [Crybaby]

Second that is a lame excuse anyway. With him not being in an emergency vehicle he has to operate under the same traffic laws that we all do. He was not flashing his lights or making any other attempt to let me know he NEEDED to pass so I think it is safe to say that he was just like so many dicks out there.

You know.. the ones that think that they are the best drivers.. don't use turn signals.. tailgate.. run red lights.. got their license from a cracker jack box, etc..

#207218 - 14/11/03 06:42 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Quote:

[b]You seems to miss the whole "it was a two lane road" you know... the kind with no shoulders?

[Wave]

edit..

:rolleyes: [/b]
If he was in such a hurry "emergency" or such...He would have passed Carlton. Some people just don't seem to know where they are going except behind the bumper in front of them.

#207219 - 14/11/03 06:48 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was classic... the only thing better then this story would have been if you went back and took a nice picture of him stuck. Then posted it on here!

Where I live the little bastards tail gate all the time. This is why there are so many rear end collisions. Even if it's pooring rain, they don't care. To top it off, everyone around here is always at least 10mph over.

#207220 - 14/11/03 06:59 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
sb Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
if he was a jackass there was no reason for you to do the same, you just went down to his level, you didn't teach him anything just got everybody's insurance higher
sergei

#207221 - 14/11/03 06:59 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
My simple opinion....the f*cker got what he deserved. Period.

I am amazed that anyone would actually try and justify a dangerous and stupid act such as tailgating, as being anything other than what it is. It is an outward expression of aggressiveness and self-righteousness. The BMW driver felt it was his right to break the law of proper following distance, and by cramming his vehicle up the ass of Carlton's X, thought he could use at least a modicum of intentional suggestion that Carlton either speed up or move over for this gentlemen's obviously more pressing need to be somewhere sooner.

I suppose, had Carlton been faced with a sudden braking situation, in the eyes of some members here, it would have been Carlton's fault, rather than the BMW driver's fault that he rear-ended the Xterra. This logic is no different. The Beamer driver gambled by practicing dangerous and unnecessary behavior, and lost. Screw him. Not Carlton's problem.

If the Beamer driver was in a legitimate hurry for and emrgency reason, he has flashers that I'm sure work (and if they don't, he again is responsible for the properly maintained condition of his vehicle). He should have been using them.

But he was not dealing with an emergency situation, at least not one that justified the act of extreme tailgating and dangerous driving. He was just exemplifying behavior we all see everyday.....the need to be somewhere sooner than he is, due to either poor planning on his part or over-extension of obligations.

I would like to think that this behavior would be altered by his little mishap.....but I fear that as soon as his little race rocket is mended, he will be out there driving in the same assinine fashion again. Let's just hope his behavior doesn't lead to more devastating results next time.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#207222 - 14/11/03 07:01 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by sb:
if he was a jackass there was no reason for you to do the same, you just went down to his level, you didn't teach him anything just got everybody's insurance higher
sergei
So you wanted him to do a civilian traffic stop and brief him? Please.

#207223 - 14/11/03 07:06 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hooray for Carlton and Tagawichin! Those idiots deserve to have the shit scared out of them, and they're responsible for every bit of what they got.
[Finger] to anyone that thinks Carlton had ANY obligation to make any effort to let the schmuck pass him. Carlton was doing the speed limit on a 2-lane road, he was dead-center within the letter of the law, and the jackass in the Bimmer can stew all he wants.
I think those of us that know Carlton even a little can be certain that if he thought for a moment there was any chance the Bimmer jackass could have been injured by the incident, he would have stopped to check on the guy.

Justice served, [ThumbsUp] Carlton!
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#207224 - 14/11/03 07:09 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

On a side note:

About a week ago I was driving home through a residential area on the main road. The speed limit was 35 MPH and there was a solid double yellow line on the whole road as it was residential and windy. Well, I see children out so I am going about 32 MPH. The SUV behind was right on my ass trying to make me speed up. This went on for about 1 minute and Mr. Antsy Pantsy got tired and passed me on the left hand side, crossing the double yellow line and almost running into an oncoming car head on.

The funniest part of this whole thing is the idiot turned into the very next section of the neighborhood indicating to me he/she was almost home. Guess those 5 seconds were so important that they were willing to risk life.

I will also note that this same vehicle almost hit me at the intersection prior to me turning on the road. I was an all way stop. I had made my stop and was taking a left onto the road. I was already in the intersection and they ran their stop sign almost hitting me, they slammed on the breaks at the last minute.

So for all those tailgaters... [Finger]

#207225 - 14/11/03 07:23 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
I want a bumper sticker that says "I Slow for Tailgaters". I feel like I am always either taping the brakes or just letting off the gas to let the morons know I don't like being taligated. Tailgaters deserve whatever they get. Cheers to you Carlton! [ThumbsUp]

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#207226 - 14/11/03 07:30 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Tailgaters suck. Even if there's an emergency, there's no reason to tailgate. How much faster is trying to ram your nose up some other vechicle's ass going to get you to your destination? None. Posistioning your car so I can't see your headlights is the easiest way to get me to slow down 10 MPH.

This knob got what he deserved. The laws regarding following two close are there EXACTLY for this type of situation. He broke the law, and got nailed by what the law was trying to prevent. If that ain't justice, I don't know what is.

#207227 - 14/11/03 07:31 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Good work Carlton. That beamer driver is responsible for his own actions. Those here that suggest any different can [Save the fine unicorns]

#207228 - 14/11/03 07:36 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
edit..
I LOVE it... that will have to be my new motto.

As to the event in question... I don't think I would have done what Carlton did... but I really can't fault him for it. That guy screwed himself - Carlton just chose not to try to keep him from screwing himself.

Hey Suspect2 - aren't you a cop? I don't know what your legal restrictions are... but it would be nice to follow the dude home in uniform and give him a good lecture... or watch that neighborhood while on duty and try to catch him doing something wrong again...

#207229 - 14/11/03 07:49 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
GrayHam Offline

What the hell was Carlton supposed to do?

Tailgaters can fuck right off. To hell with 'em.

"Oh, oh, but he could have pulled off to the side of the road!"

Fuck off. If the guy in the BMW had stones, he could have waited until the road was clear, and passed Carlton. Last I looked, Beamers are speedy little machines, with excellent passing capabilities--especially compared to Xterras.
But he didn't. He was just trying to be a jerk.

The guy in the BMW was being an asshole, and he was the one who reduced his vision of the road, which reduced his warning lead time for roadway hazards, which in turn led to him driving over a fucking log.

Tough shit.

#207230 - 14/11/03 07:56 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:

First.. there was no place for me to go even IF that was where he was going (and if he was he was going the wrong way..) And why should I endanger myself by going off a paved road into a wet soft shoulder (with a steep incline) for some inconsiderate driver that likes to ride on peoples asses? I bet money that he drives like that all the time. At least did. [Crybaby]
You could have stopped completly, and let him pass. How many people a day actually ride your bumper?

Quote:
Second that is a lame excuse anyway. With him not being in an emergency vehicle he has to operate under the same traffic laws that we all do. He was not flashing his lights or making any other attempt to let me know he NEEDED to pass so I think it is safe to say that he was just like so many dicks out there.
No, that was a lame excuse for your sophmoric actions. What if this guy swung left to miss that log, then went head-on into the on-coming traffic? Would that have made you feel good? Besides, if I had to drive a member of my family to the hospital in a hurry, I wouldn't be worring about the speed limit, or a courtesy flash.

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207231 - 14/11/03 07:59 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by distant planet:
[Finger] [Finger] [Finger] Mr. Beamer Man!
It's Bimmer...not Beamer... [Smoking]

#207232 - 14/11/03 08:01 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

"Oh, oh, but he could have pulled off to the side of the road!"

Fuck off. If the guy in the BMW had stones, he could have waited until the road was clear, and passed Carlton. Last I looked, Beamers are speedy little machines, with excellent passing capabilities--especially compared to Xterras.
But he didn't. He was just trying to be a jerk.
Did you skip your anger managment class last week? I know why you wouldn't have pulled over for this guy, you would have got stuck.

[Finger]

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207233 - 14/11/03 08:09 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
You could have stopped completly, and let him pass. How many people a day actually ride your bumper?

What if this guy swung left to miss that log, then went head-on into the on-coming traffic? Would that have made you feel good? Besides, if I had to drive a member of my family to the hospital in a hurry, I wouldn't be worring about the speed limit, or a courtesy flash.
Stop completely? On a two lane curvy road right after a rain with a speed limit of 40? You are nuts. Really you are.

Speaking of What if's and coulda happend.. What if by delaying his movements I stopped him from running a red light and him killing a family on the way to church? Or if he was a terrorist and was in a rush to go bomb a daycare but because he was delayed all the kids were picked up and went home?

We can go both ways on the what if thing..

Fact is.. he was driving in an unsafe way by tailgating me to the point that he could not see a road hazard and he payed for it with a bit of bump and grind.

And if you are that kind of driver I hope you don't kill anyone rushing your kid to the hospital with a sprained ankle. [Huh?]

edit.. He did not swerve because he was too freaking close to my bumper to see anything more than my rear tire. How could he have seen the log?

#207234 - 14/11/03 08:20 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I think what Carlton did was perfectly fine. Driving 101 says 1 car lenght for every 10 MPH. The conditions Carlton describes he (BMW) should have been at least 6 lenghts IMHO, no matter what you drive or your driving skill.
Really on a peasonal note. What the hell is with H2s now! In my area they are tailgating like crazy here. These assholes think they are god-like driving these things!
Dan

#207235 - 14/11/03 08:21 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:

Stop completely? On a two lane curvy road right after a rain with a speed limit of 40? You are nuts. Really you are.
I can brake from 40 on a wet road safely, can you?

Quote:
Speaking of What if's and coulda happend.. What if by delaying his movements I stopped him from running a red light and him killing a family on the way to church? Or if he was a terrorist and was in a rush to go bomb a daycare but because he was delayed all the kids were picked up and went home?
Nice story. At least my senario was believable.

Quote:
Fact is.. he was driving in an unsafe way by tailgating me to the point that he could not see a road hazard and he payed for it bit a bit of bump and grind.
And the other fact is you let him run over that log, and you're lucky no one got hurt.

Quote:
And if you are that kind of driver I hope you don't kill anyone rushing your kid to the hospital with a sprained ankle. [Huh?]
Pretty poor statement for deflecting the real issue here. Piss poor actually.

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207236 - 14/11/03 08:27 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Oh....now it is Carlton's fault that the log was in the lane!!! confused eek [Laughing] [LOL] [Spit]

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal