2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207262 - 14/11/03 10:31 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Ok Sean, fine. You were playing devils advocate. In light of our previous jousts and our obvious philosphical differences, it is hard to tell. To me it sounded like a postion you would normally take.

Depending on the situation, I too, wouldve moved the (insert item here). If it was a major highway like the windshield story, probably not. There is too much risk involved. More than likely in that situation you will be leveled by oncoming traffic and now you are the debris in the road.

I dont have enough info in Carltons case to say whether I wouldve moved the log. Is the road curvy? Are sight lines good enough that I could be seen at a distance? Could my parked X with flashers on be seen? Is there enough shoulder that I wouldnt be in traffic thus causing an even greater hazard. Is light good? All in all I would probably not move it in this case because it sounds like it would be hazardous to my health to try to move it. None of us want to become road kill.

#207263 - 14/11/03 10:32 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
In this entire thread no one addressed the root of the problem (pun intended). Why was the log in the road, and WHY does NO ONE ever stop to get road hazards off on the shoulder so that EVERYONE can safely pass.
Sounds to me like the guy in the BMW did a relatively effective job of both stopping and removing the debris from the road....

[LOL]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#207264 - 14/11/03 10:33 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
ok this is nuts.

anyone who thinks carlton was the one who was wrong is just insane.

I am mellower now(after years of riding a motorcycle) but when i was younger, on two seperate occasions, I got so sick of the guy riding my ass that i simply jumped on my brakes... HARD. Causing them to rear-end me... when interviewed by police i said "a cat ran in the road"

the guys that hit me both had the same answer... "I couldn't see ahead of him."

fuck them, they deserved it. as did the jackass tailgating carlton.

Truth of the matter is they still caused the accident, they were following too close and could not react to the situation presented to them.

I wouldn't do the same thing now, but i will "brake check" people. Hit the brakes hard for a split second... just long enough to make them think they are gonna die.... works best at highway speeds.

I have driven in every major city in the continental united states, as well as many in canada... and I have to honestly say no where can hold a candle to Phoenix for high speed tailgaters other places have bumper to bumper traffic but the valley of the sun is the king of not being able to see the grill of the car behind you at 70mph

#207265 - 14/11/03 10:41 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
I wish Carlton would of had a cam rolling or at least some pics for us. If it was pre-meditated as has been suggested he'd have at least one or both. The SOB tailgating got a little of what he deserved.

Next "X Mod" ...Remote Log Dropper?

#207266 - 14/11/03 10:43 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

To put an exclaimation point on my previous post, it reminds me of a similiar story that happened to me a couple months ago.

I was coming down a hill on a relatively busy road at a relatively un busy time of day.(around noon.)

I notice that up ahead of me a car is sitting in the middle of the lane with flashers on. I slow down and finally stop, wondering what the hell this idiot is doing. I finally realize that he is watching a turtle cross the street and did not want to hit it. I put my flashers on and get out to help the guy.

Cars are stopping behind us because they see what is happening. Cars coming the opposite way are also slowing down. Its all nice and cozy.

Anyway, the turtle crosses the center line. A few cars coming the other way slow down and go around it. About 5 seconds after, here comes another car, it isnt slowing down, and runs over the turtle. Visibilty on this road in either direction is a good half mile. Its a nice straight road. he never stopped, never slowed down. Dead turtle, and about 6 people in my lane direction just looking on in disbelief. I almost cried.

Moral of the story: Not everyone is paying attention to thier surroundings. And that is why most of us don't get out and move the debris because there is always someone who will add us to the pile.

#207267 - 14/11/03 10:44 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, this situation sounds like a great idea for a new mod! Maybe Calmini could come up with a sort of 007ish log/debris releasing rear bumper to combat asshole tailgaters all the time. [LOL]

#207268 - 14/11/03 10:45 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

Ok Sean, fine. You were playing devils advocate. In light of our previous jousts and our obvious philosphical differences, it is hard to tell. To me it sounded like a postion you would normally take.
You may have branded me a "Liberal", but I'm not an asshole. As for our differences, we have less than you think.

Quote:
Depending on the situation, I too, wouldve moved the (insert item here). If it was a major highway like the windshield story, probably not. There is too much risk involved. More than likely in that situation you will be leveled by oncoming traffic and now [b]you are the debris in the road.[/b]
Agreed. Carton did mention that he was "coming up to an intersection" when he noticed the log, and that "The cars in front of me are all going out of their way to avoid hitting this log", so I assumed that if he had time to acknowledge he had someone on his ass, an intersection coming up, and a log in the road that everyone in front of him was avoiding, that he must of had time to possibly stop to get that log out of the road.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207269 - 14/11/03 10:45 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
Carlton does not need to "accomidate" anyone else's speeding or tailgating. I say way to go Carlton. When I'm being tailgated, I slow down to make myself safer if they were to hit me, and to make it easier for the tailgater to pass. If any of you are tailgaters in the Chattanooga area and you get on my ass you will be in the slow lane [Finger] .

#207270 - 14/11/03 10:51 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Its log log, its better than bad its good. Everyone wants a log, everyone loves a log.

#207271 - 14/11/03 10:59 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Way to go Carlton! I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Just so I'm clear, exactly how fast can an Xterra go while flawlessly absorbing a log? How big was the log? What mods have you done to your rig that would help in "log cruising?"

Details man... we need to do the math!

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#207272 - 14/11/03 11:24 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:

Hey Suspect2 - aren't you a cop? I don't know what your legal restrictions are... but it would be nice to follow the dude home in uniform and give him a good lecture... or watch that neighborhood while on duty and try to catch him doing something wrong again...
Yes I am but I was in my truck off duty and unarmed. Unless I am armed and someone is gonna die I aint doing shit![/QB][/QUOTE]

I did that once while off duty, some prick passed me by the right, freak me off, pissed me off, enough that I followed him hime ( bout 30 seconds away, just like in your story ) and briefly informed him that what he had done was illegal and dangerous. He was obviously annoyed about what I was telling him, and told me to go check with police and that what he had done was proper. I then told him that I had forgotten to tell him that I was a RCMP member, and that I was the one patrolling that road. He was even more annoyed and just went home.
The following day, his girlfriend came to the office and asked for excuses, saying that I wasn't supposed to tell people how to drive etc.. The officer taking the complaint was furious ! Kicked her out of the office, and went looking for the boyfriend for weeks after, trying to nail him good.
Complaint was dismissed, and I stop carring about what people are doing while I'm off-duty.
I just get pissed cause I don't get any tailgaters when I drive police cruiser, but in my truck, they're everywhere.

As for this topic story, the BMW was driving dangerously, took risk, and had an accident because of his actions.
Deserve a ticket, and a huge increase in insurance.

Dob

#207273 - 14/11/03 11:38 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Bucweet X Offline

Loc: Houston TX
Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:
Its log log, its better than bad its good. Everyone wants a log, everyone loves a log.
[LOL]

#207274 - 14/11/03 11:56 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
That is great!!

#207275 - 14/11/03 12:07 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
This thread is pretty [Rainbow] .

Maybe its time for a good old fashioned XOC Religion debate or political debate. I think some people here are going thru internet arguing withdrawl and are iching to bitch about any little thing.
Haven't seen this one in awhile:

#207276 - 14/11/03 12:31 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
I always love when people get their arguement thrown out of the water and look like complete asses always come back with " I was just playing devil's advocate, or I am just bringing up another point".

No you were not. You were trying to be a dick or trying to be funny neither of which worked. It is a bit late to try and open your mouth and insert your foot. [Finger]

#207277 - 14/11/03 12:51 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Darren K Offline

Loc: Aurora, CO
This is such a great story, Carlton! I don't care if the whole situation could've been avoided or not.

I guess Sean had to use his screen name because distant planet was taken? Even devil's advocate has no place in such a thread. :rolleyes:

MyColorado.org (CO landscapes, destinations & trip reports)

#207278 - 14/11/03 12:57 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
TravelingFool Offline

HOW BIG WAS THE FLIPPIN' LOG???
HOW FAST WAS HE GOING???
WHAT MODS DID CARLTON DO TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE??

#207279 - 14/11/03 01:02 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
HOW BIG WAS THE FLIPPIN' LOG???
HOW FAST WAS HE GOING???
WHAT MODS DID CARLTON DO TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE??
Calm down Ken [Too much XOC]

the log was about 8" dia. and about 2 ft long ( guess )

We were going the posted speed limit of 40mph

Only mods were a lift kit and knowing where all my low hanging stuff is under the truck (and the skid plates for added assurance)I am sure the 32" tires helped with the clearance too..

did you get my PM?

#207280 - 14/11/03 01:05 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
TravelingFool Offline

Oops... my bad. Off to check my messages (and to re-acquaint myself with my "low hangy downies")!

#207281 - 14/11/03 01:05 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Hey Carlton...

2 final questions.

When and where are you moving to MN?

(I want to make sure I avoid following any heavily modified white Xterras too closely)

laugh

#207282 - 14/11/03 01:06 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Guido Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
Oops... my bad. Off to check my messages (and to re-acquaint myself with my "low hangy downies")!
Just make sure you keep your "low hangy downies" to yourself!! [Uh Oh !]

#207283 - 14/11/03 01:06 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
Hey Carlton...

2 final questions.

When and where are you moving to MN?

(I want to make sure I avoid following any heavily modified white Xterras too closely)

laugh
:p

We will be in our new home near the end of the month.. And that is in Lakeville

#207284 - 14/11/03 01:09 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Guido Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
:p

We will be in our new home near the end of the month.. And that is in Lakeville
Good, you'll be closer to Ken...I'm well north of you! (I will be on the look out on my trips to Iowa though!)

#207285 - 14/11/03 01:16 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Darren K:
I guess Sean had to use his screen name because distant planet was taken? Even devil's advocate has no place in such a thread. :rolleyes:
Hey dipshit, I merely stated that he was aggressive in what he did--whether justified or not. If you read my earlier posts, I mentioned that I probably would have done the same thing as him had it happened to me. I never stated that he was at fault or should be blamed for what happened. As an aside dipshit, I'm entitled to my opinion. [Finger]

#207286 - 14/11/03 01:31 PM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Darren K Offline

Loc: Aurora, CO
Whoa there! My apologies! Just to clarify, as I must have written it poorly, I wasn't referring to you or your posts, as I'm sure I agree with them (I'd have to re-read) whole-heartedly. I was merely referring to the simple fact that it would be a perfect screen name for him. wink

For the record, I would've done the same.

MyColorado.org (CO landscapes, destinations & trip reports)

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal