2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207237 - 14/11/03 08:36 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by LmtdSlip:
Quote:
Originally posted by distant planet:
[b] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] Mr. Beamer Man!
It's Bimmer...not Beamer... [Smoking] [/b]
You say Potato, I say Pototo, you say Tomato, I say Tomoto... [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

#207238 - 14/11/03 08:37 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Sean, is anyone ever responsible for thier own actions in your world? The guy in the BMW is TOTALLY at fault. He was the one tailgating. He was the one driving irresponsibly. He was the one playing a dangerous game on a one lane highway. It is not Carlton's job to to be nursemaid for other drivers on the road. What the BMW should have done was back off. End of story. No excuses. Why should Carlton put himself in danger by stopping or pulling off on a small or non-existant shoulder just to let this asshole by? The safest play for him was to go over the log, he knew he had the clearance. Why should endanger himself by trying to go around it? He could lose control on the shoulder, or worse, could have endangered oncoming traffic.
It was no ones fault but the BMW driver for following too close. There is no excuse. Karma can be a beautiful thing.

#207239 - 14/11/03 08:37 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by excelagator:

Oh....now it is Carlton's fault that the log was in the lane!!! confused eek [Laughing] [LOL] [Spit]
Who said it was Carlton's fault the log was there? Making up shit to be funny, huh? Keep trying, you're still not funny.

If Carlton would have either pulled over enough to let this person pass, or stop completly, and then this guy still hit that log, well it's all Mr. BMW's fault. Carlton still hasn't answered my question about how many times this scenaio of people riding his ass happens a day. I drive in rush hour traffic on rt 93 just about everyday, and rarely does someone ride my bumper like Carlton has described, and that's at speeds much higher than 40 mph.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207240 - 14/11/03 08:37 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
And the other fact is you let him run over that log, and you're lucky no one got hurt.
Damn you Carlton....how dare you LET him run over that log.

[LOL]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#207241 - 14/11/03 08:43 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
I can brake from 40 on a wet road safely, can you?
Yes.. But can I expect others on a busy road to do the same? Should I stop traffic and cause a hazard to allow someone who is driving in an unsafe manner to make an illegal pass on a two lane road? Am I responsable for that other drivers actions when he makes that illegal pass and runs someone in the opposite lane off the road? Or worse causes a head on collision? He was not paying attention when he was tailgating so why should I expect him to pay attention when he makes this illegal pass?

Quote:
Nice story. At least my senario was believable.
No more than mine. But in the end, they are both just stories. Nothing more.

Quote:
And the other fact is you let him run over that log, and you're lucky no one got hurt.
I was in no danger of being hurt so I guess that I am lucky, I was paying attention to the road. But that is not luck.

Quote:
Pretty poor statement for deflecting the real issue here. Piss poor actually.

And what would the real issue be here? I would like to know your thoughts.

#207242 - 14/11/03 08:43 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Loop Choke Offline

Loc: Peoria,IL
Good job Carlton. I commend you for your actions. Jerkoff got exactly what he deserved.

Jason

#207243 - 14/11/03 08:45 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

Sean, is anyone ever responsible for thier own actions in your world?
Why am I not suprised with this personal jab of your's? Leave it to you to make this discussion a weak political/idealogy stand. Why don't you just come right out and blame me for being a liberal?

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207244 - 14/11/03 08:45 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
[QUOTE] Carlton still hasn't answered my question about how many times this scenaio of people riding his ass happens a day.
What does that matter?

#207245 - 14/11/03 08:52 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Quote:

[b]Sean, is anyone ever responsible for thier own actions in your world?
Why am I not suprised with this personal jab of your's? Leave it to you to make this discussion a weak political/idealogy stand. Why don't you just come right out and blame me for being a liberal?[/b]
O.K. I will say it then.. Does anyone in your world ever take responsibility for their actions?

It was HIS responsiblity to mainain a proper distance between himself and the car in front of him.

It was HIS responsiblity to watch the road in front of him to make sure that there were no dangers.

At no point was it my responsiblity to be big brother to this idiot. Should I have put a warning label on the back of my truck saying please obey the law and keep back? Are people that stupid that we need to hold their hands for everything?

I suppose he could sue someone for not protecting him from his own stupidity.
[Freak]

#207246 - 14/11/03 08:57 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Quote:

Why am I not suprised with this personal jab of your's? Leave it to you to make this discussion a weak political/idealogy stand. Why don't you just come right out and blame me for being a liberal?[/b]
That is not the point. It seems like you are trying any lame argument possible to exonerate this idiot of any wrong doing. You actually stated that Carlton let this guy hit the log. As if it was his responsiblity not only to be in control of his own vehicle, but the BMW as well. Instead of trying to figure out a reason whythis idiot was tailgating, cant you just admit that he shouldnt have been? No matter what the circumstances. Why are you so quick to assume that the BMW driver was doing nothing other than being an asshole?

#207247 - 14/11/03 08:58 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

From a legal standpoint, it is ALWAYS the responsibility of a person driving behind a vehicle to leave a safe distance between themselves and the car in front of them. On the flip side, to drive defensively also means it is the responsibility of the lead driver to conduct themselves in a manner that does not put others in harms way (including themselves).

Don't get me wrong, I would have probably done the same thing myself. But what about the minivan full of kids that could have potentially been behind the Bimmer and got into an accident as a result. I consider both drivers aggressive in this circumstance. Now let me get off of my high horse and say...fuck the bimmer driver. He should have been paying more attention and left more distance. An expensive lesson to learn...

-dp [Smoking]

#207248 - 14/11/03 09:00 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser442:
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
edit..
And this brings to mind a saying I once heard.. "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
I LOVE it... that will have to be my new motto.

As to the event in question... I don't think I would have done what Carlton did... but I really can't fault him for it. That guy screwed himself - Carlton just chose not to try to keep him from screwing himself.

Hey Suspect2 - aren't you a cop? I don't know what your legal restrictions are... but it would be nice to follow the dude home in uniform and give him a good lecture... or watch that neighborhood while on duty and try to catch him doing something wrong again...
Yes I am but I was in my truck off duty and unarmed. Unless I am armed and someone is gonna die I aint doing shit!

#207249 - 14/11/03 09:02 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Scary thing is that there others who believe as Sean does.....

As exemplified by the many filed AND won lawsuits by people who clearly are in the wrong....

confused

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#207250 - 14/11/03 09:06 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by distant planet:
From a legal standpoint, it is ALWAYS the responsibility of a person driving behind a vehicle to leave a safe distance between themselves and the car in front of them. On the flip side, to drive defensively also means it is the responsibility of the lead driver to conduct themselves in a manner that does not put others in harms way (including themselves).

Don't get me wrong, I would have probably done the same thing myself. But what about the minivan full of kids that could have potentially been behind the Bimmer and got into an accident as a result. I consider both drivers aggressive in this circumstance. Now let me get off of my high horse and say...fuck the bimmer driver. He should have been paying more attention and left more distance. An expensive lesson to learn...

-dp [Smoking]
And Carlton, by not swerving in a matter that may have lost him control of his vehicle, put no one else in harms way. The BMW did that to himself by following too close.

Carlton was in no way driving aggresively. had a minivan full of kids hit the BMW, it wouldve been a)The fault of the BMW for not allowing proper following distance. and B) The fault of the minivan for not allowing proper stop time. Either way Carlton is not at fault.

#207251 - 14/11/03 09:09 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Quote:

Oh oh... he OUTED himself!!!

Hi ho - hi ho - it's off to ALR we go...

#207252 - 14/11/03 09:11 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Personal responsibility anyone?

#207253 - 14/11/03 09:22 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
OnlyOneDR Offline

In this entire thread no one addressed the root of the problem (pun intended). Why was the log in the road, and WHY does NO ONE ever stop to get road hazards off on the shoulder so that EVERYONE can safely pass.

And before someone says another snide remark, Yes, I have stopped in the middle of the road to get "obstacles" out of the way, just because I can drive over it does not mean the next vehicle can (as evidenced in the original post). We all have hazard flashers, was that not a hazard in the road?

In no way am I suggesting that we all try to cause traffic accidents to remove debris from the road, but it seems that no one makes the effort to ensure everyone's safety. Just yesterday I was on the highway near downtown Houston and traffic stopped dead just around a curve. Cars were pointed in 3 different directions, but everyone was stopped between 2 lanes of traffic. The cars jockeyed around and everything started rolling again, and as I rolled by I saw the problem, it looked like a new windsheild fell out of a truck or something and was busted in a few pieces in the middle of the road. Now I was already rolling by with thousands of cars right behind me, but what of the people that were stopped in the road just before I went by? They could have put it in park, popped the flashers on, and grabbed the big chunks and threw them off the side of the road (it was on the left side of the far right lane). People.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#207254 - 14/11/03 09:44 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
Sean is either a)dumber than the log that was in the road or b)messing with you guys for fun.

#207255 - 14/11/03 09:57 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
cbx Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
That is F#$%ing GREAT! hahahahahhhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

#207256 - 14/11/03 10:06 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:

[qb]That is not the point. It seems like you are trying any lame argument possible to exonerate this idiot of any wrong doing. You actually stated that Carlton [b]let
this guy hit the log. As if it was his responsiblity not only to be in control of his own vehicle, but the BMW as well. Instead of trying to figure out a reason whythis idiot was tailgating, cant you just admit that he shouldnt have been? No matter what the circumstances. Why are you so quick to assume that the BMW driver was doing nothing other than being an asshole?[/b]
The tactic I was using here was "Playing Devil's Advocate", and it just goes to show how fast people get bent here and jump all over the few that share a different opinion on something. No one here, including Carlton, knew why this guy was riding his ass.

Kudos for great pyr-hauler for being the only one here smart enough to know my original intent. Really, sometimes it's just to easy. And to think I didn't even have to hide in the "Supporting Members" section to do it.

Now for the people who don't believe that was my initial intent here, here's some more fodder for the shit slingers:

Personally I still would have let the person pass me because if the road was as dangerous and busy as Carlton has suggested, it wouldn't be worth risking a serious accident over something as petty as someone riding my ass. I kept asking Carlton how often this happens because obviously he felt the need to exhort a little revenge here with the BMW driver, so much for driving defensively. It's also obviouse he was proud of his actions, or he wouldn't have posted it to begin with, hence he shouldn't get upset when someone disagrees with his actions. I don't know about you, but I have bigger things in life to be worry about, and I definitely wouldn't have posted something a high school student would have done in the same situation.

And another thing, I definitely would have tried stopping for that log in the road before someone else hit it (as someone here already suggested). Sounds to me there might have been a chance since we're only talking a 2 lane road here, not a major highway.

Flame away.

[Wave]

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207257 - 14/11/03 10:15 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Of all the things I have read on this board, this one takes the cake...

All of you who says it's Carlton's fault for any of this....you are a liberal!!!

All of you who say he should of pulled over to let the moron pass....needs to review their driving laws. Carlton has no responsibilty for other's driving habits...never does it state in any driving law mandated by the gov't to pull over because other poor decision making skills....heck if that was a law...then we should all pull over when someone cuts us off (are we at fault for that?); when someone SPEEDS past us over the posted speeding limit (ar we at fault for that?); when someone passes us on a no passing zone (are we at fault for that?)...we can't hold the hand of others to do right in this world.

There are consequences to life...good or bad based on your decisions...Based on Carlton's decisions, he "suffered" good consequences...Going the speed limit on a two lane road NOT TAILGATING others in front of him allowed him to react/adapt to changing road conditions...justice served!

The jack a$% behind him chose poorly...and got what he deserved...what's he going to say to the police? "Ah, I was tailgating the guy in front of me and he didn't give me enough warning"

The police would laugh in his face....as a matter of fact the law states 1 car length for every 10 mph...and that's on a dry surface!!!

Liberals are always trying to push the responsibility (and poor decision making) of themselves on to others....they hate accountability.

Remember "Everything is permissable, but not everything is Beneficial".

#207258 - 14/11/03 10:23 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me restate. If Carlton drove over that log because he knew that his 4x4 could handle it and it looked like fun--then no, he was not being aggressive. If Carlton drove over that log because he was fucking with the Bimmer driver and knew that it would cause problems--then yes, I consider that aggressive. And, if in fact this was Carlton's thinking, then his actions clearly set a chain of events in motion that could have potentially resulted in a more dangerous road incident.

From a legal standpoint, Carlton is not to blame. But one would argue that he showed bad judgment in doing what he did (if in fact he did it with ill-intent). Only Carlton can tell us what he was thinking at the time. Now...if Carlton's actions were innocent, he has every right to gloat about that idiot Bimmer driver who, because he was in a rush, clearly "followed the leader" and underestimated the abilities of his own vehicle.

-dp

Quote:
And Carlton, by not swerving in a matter that may have lost him control of his vehicle, put no one else in harms way. The BMW did that to himself by following too close.

Carlton was in no way driving aggresively. had a minivan full of kids hit the BMW, it wouldve been a)The fault of the BMW for not allowing proper following distance. and B) The fault of the minivan for not allowing proper stop time. Either way Carlton is not at fault.

#207259 - 14/11/03 10:23 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IceChickenX:

Of all the things I have read on this board, this one takes the cake...

All of you who says it's Carlton's fault for any of this....you are a liberal!!!

Liberals are always trying to push the responsibility (and poor decision making) of themselves on to others....they hate accountability.

Remember "Everything is permissable, but not everything is Beneficial".
IceChickenX,

The cat is already out of the bag here, you can calm down now.

As for your blanket statement about liberals, you really need to get a life, really.

:rolleyes:

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#207260 - 14/11/03 10:23 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
This thread is pretty [Rainbow] .

Maybe its time for a good old fashioned XOC Religion debate or political debate. I think some people here are going thru internet arguing withdrawl and are iching to bitch about any little thing.

#207261 - 14/11/03 10:26 AM Re: So I am being tailgated today...
Sean Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:

This thread is pretty [Rainbow] .

Maybe its time for a good old fashioned XOC Religion debate or political debate. I think some people here are going thru internet arguing withdrawl and are iching to bitch about any little thing.
My excuse is I was bored, it's Friday, and the Madman hasn't posted all day.

laugh

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal