shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#207676 - 08/07/03 11:32 AM Damn shame, another nut job!
X-Yotaluva Offline

Loc: Rural Hall, NC

#207677 - 08/07/03 12:08 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Cool.

6 new job openings at Lockheed-Martin.
Send your resumes.

#207678 - 08/07/03 12:11 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Cool.

Send your resumes.
LOL, That's f*cked up Ian!

#207679 - 08/07/03 12:23 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Cool.

Send your resumes.
Have to dust off my resume. Worked for what is now Boeing Helicopter from 1983 to 1991

I would have to move to MERIDIAN, Miss. an work a few years... then get laid off and be stuck in Meridian. [Finger]

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#207680 - 08/07/03 12:40 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
LOL, That's f*cked up Ian!
In this job market it's not. laugh

I cancelled my cell phone with T-Mobile yesterday (cutting back on all non-essential items), and it took an hour because it was a call center in India, and the guy had trouble understanding English.

#207681 - 08/07/03 12:46 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
off2cjb Offline

Are you sure the call center was in Indiana? Bank of America outsources their call centers all over the world. I believe the newest one is in India. Many other companies are doing the same thing.

#207682 - 08/07/03 12:47 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
off2cjb Offline

Oh yeah, I work for Lockheed Martin, and you don't want to work in Mississippi. Geez, that humidity will kill you.

#207683 - 08/07/03 12:50 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
Are you sure the call center was in Indiana? Bank of America outsources their call centers all over the world. I believe the newest one is in India. Many other companies are doing the same thing.
How true! My sister works for a telecommunications company whose sole purpose is to provide telemarketing services, call centers, client services, ect to companies. They have a call center that they use that is located in India.

#207684 - 08/07/03 12:50 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
Are you sure the call center was in Indiana? Bank of America outsources their call centers all over the world. I believe the newest one is in India.
confused confused confused confused

Quote:
I cancelled my cell phone with T-Mobile yesterday (cutting back on all non-essential items), and it took an hour because it was a call center in India, and the guy had trouble understanding English.
Seems like Ian is on the same page, man . . .

#207685 - 08/07/03 01:07 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
What's funny is, the internal job I am waiting on (If I don't find something internal, I am out of a job this friday) is a telecom role. I will be building out call centers in India and Prague for our clients smile I will be implementing the very f*cking think I hate, how ironic is that!

If I get the job, which would be nice, since I could work from home when I am not "onsite"......

#207686 - 08/07/03 09:07 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
bennet Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Seems like Ian is on the same page, man . . .
He is. So is off2cjb. Appears to me he's just being "tongue in cheek".

I lived 22 years in Mississippi. I love certain things about it. You get used to the heat and humidity. And bugs. But these days, I go visit and within four days, I'm ready to leave. Texas is my place.

#207687 - 09/07/03 10:10 AM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
People like me who are doing tax returns for a living might get pushed out too. I recently read that the international accounting firm Ernst & Young is outsourcing tax return work to Bangalore, India. It costs them roughly half what they have to pay American workers.

One more reason why I don't feel sorry for corporate America when some more bad news comes out, such as a CEO coming under fire for improper accounting policies. I just don't have a lot of faith in the future of capitalism.

#207688 - 09/07/03 10:55 AM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
Ski_Patrol_Guy Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bangalore is certainly a going concern. Companies can get University educated english speaking Java programmers for about $200/month!

We had some guys from Bangalore in our Telecom shop for a few months. Well educated, hard working, nice guys too. Worrysome.

Time to start learning to do something practical I think. Maybe I'll become a lumberjack wink

#207689 - 09/07/03 10:59 AM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ski_Patrol_Guy:
Bangalore is certainly a going concern. Companies can get University educated english speaking Java programmers for about $200/month!

We had some guys from Bangalore in our Telecom shop for a few months. Well educated, hard working, nice guys too. Worrysome.

Time to start learning to do something practical I think. Maybe I'll become a lumberjack wink
I am right there with you. Tired of computers anyway. I have a buddy whose company contracted out some work to a programmer in India. It ended up costing more than a stateside guy would have, because there was still a communication barrier, the guy was slow as hell, the work was not that great and the long ass conference calls to India were a bit pricey.

#207690 - 09/07/03 11:11 AM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
Ash - 95 positions here in Ballantyne are being cut because we are ......" going to position ourselves better in the market place by tapping resources in Bangalore where we can strategically co-partner with them."

nice company.......the only goodside to getting laid off is that I can now do my Alaska road trip.

smile

#207691 - 09/07/03 12:24 PM Re: Damn shame, another nut job!
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Sorry to hear that emt. That is the way business is being done, and we can't sit around beating ourselves up over something. It's no one's fault, except business owners who are more greedy than loyal.

But for me to call anyone dis-loyal is the biggest pot calling a kettle "black" of all time. I am on my 4th employer in 6 years. And I am looking around right now. Hell, they need me, but they don't want me. All companies want to hire in business is middle-aged, single women with no life or kids, who will work for 20% what the average white male with a family who depends on him will ask.

And all the colleges and professors can say is "go back to school"... Bullshit. And pay 90,000 for a MBA that will be useless in 2 more years?

No thanks....

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal