shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#208507 - 29/04/03 01:55 PM Nissan SARS discrimination!
jinx Offline

Loc: The T-dot! Ontario
For those who dont know me, I am a Paramedic, and I'm from Toronto, which at the moment is going through a international crisis with this SARS issue. The media has made a storm about it, so we will be feeling the repercussions from this for a long time. Below is an incident that occurred to a fellow bros of mine. What is your take on this everyone? what now?

[edited to leave out specifics]

Today I was going downtown to do some shopping when my car broke down. As luck would have it the car broke down in front of Nissan. Since my car is a 2001 Nissan I was in the perfect place.

I was able to get the car started long enough to get it into the service bay at the dealer. I explained the situation to the service advisor and then they started to assess the car.

Shortly thereafter I went into the garage to speak to the mechanic. As I approached the mechanic who was working on my car I noticed that he was starting to back away from me. His coworker who was also near the car started to back away. I thought this was kind of odd.

Just then the mechanic asked if I was a paramedic. Realizing that I had my jacket in the back seat I replied that I was. The mechanic then aksed me to
leave the building. He stated that they did not want me in there cause I was a paramedic and that he was scared of "catching something from me". I
was shellshocked, dismayed and for the first time in my life embarassed to be a medic.

I stated that I was clean and that I followed all precautions and that I would not be around my child if there was any risk. He didn;t care he
just wanted me out.

When I went to complain to the management I was again asked to leave as I was a dirty paramedic.

Needless to say I immediately arranged to have my car towed from that dealer to my home dealer.

Just thought I would share my experience with all of you. When the lease is up on my car I will be getting rid of it and I will NOT be purchasing
another nissan again.

(dirty SARS paramedic) .

#208508 - 29/04/03 02:01 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Fear is one of the biggest motivators of people's behavior.

#208509 - 29/04/03 02:04 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
GrayHam Offline

People are worried.

It appears that you can get SARS from immediate contact with an infected person. I don't know the specifics of how "intimate" the contact has to be, and I doubt the mechanics know, either. But it is an airborne condition, yes?

I'd probably be as wary as them. Would I ask you to leave? Who knows.

It's a new disease, and the media has pumped the scare factor up huge.

Paramedics didn't face this same kind of fear during the opening years of the AIDS scare, back in the 80s?

#208510 - 29/04/03 02:05 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
Doesn't surprise me at all.

why are you afraid? laugh

#208511 - 29/04/03 02:21 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
NY Madman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus A Christensen:

why are you afraid?
No. I'm not afraid of SARS. The car mechanics obviously were.

Most people here in the US take showers daily and wash their hands frequently throughout the day (not some immigrants). There must be a lot of dirty Canadians or dirty immigrants up there for this disease to get out of hand.

I have noticed that Japan has no SARS problem. They are the cleanest people in Asia.

#208512 - 29/04/03 02:53 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
The situation is truly unfortunate for everyone involved. The dealer lost out on repair work, the customer was inconvienced and others were fearful of a potentially fatal virus. Would I condemn an entire company for the behavior of an authorized vendor; no! That's like saying you're never buying Levi's again because the kid behind the counter at Hudson's, where you bought them, (are they still open?) was an asshole.
This SARS thing has everyone freaked out! Until there is a worldwide "handle" on this situation, people are gonna get freaked out everywhere for every little thing.

#208513 - 29/04/03 03:27 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
The dealer isn't owned by Nissan. It's like swearing off Pepsi because the guy behind the counter at 7-Eleven gave you a dirty look.

#208514 - 29/04/03 03:53 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Claus Offline

Quote:
Quote:

why are you afraid?
No. I'm not afraid of SARS. The car mechanics obviously were.

Most people here in the US take showers daily and wash their hands frequently throughout the day (not some immigrants). There must be a lot of dirty Canadians or dirty immigrants up there for this disease to get out of hand.

I have noticed that Japan has no SARS problem. They are the cleanest people in Asia.
Naaah not falling for that Neonazi rightwing comment. You know better, you are more intelligent than that (I said intelligent not ignorant).

When were you in Japan last?.

#208515 - 29/04/03 04:13 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

Naaah not falling for that Neonazi rightwing comment. You know better, you are more intelligent than that (I said intelligent not ignorant).

When were you in Japan last?.
What's so neo nazi about it? It's the truth. You need to lighten up.

Do your own research. I have never been to Japan but I have noticed that people of Japanese descent are much cleaner and have cleaner homes than Chinese immigrants.

The net is loaded with articles about the cleanliness of Japanese may save them from a lot of SARS cases. They will get some, but it won't be an outbreak.

Here's one dispatch from Shanghai:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/star/2003/0424/he19-3.html

#208516 - 29/04/03 04:25 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Claus Offline

Well if the Coronavirus (viral ) is linked to the cause then how can it have anything to do with cleanliness?.

I am not trying to speculate nor am I an expert in this field, My business has been hit very hard due to SARS and I am following it closely.

pot calling the kettle black on the "lighten up" comment. I think calling all immigrants dirty is drawing a conclusion that is a bit far fetched. The virus is aparently spread virally and has reached North America from Asia due to travel.

#208517 - 29/04/03 04:49 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
NY Madman Offline

Quote:

I think calling all immigrants dirty is drawing a conclusion that is a bit far fetched. The virus is aparently spread virally and has reached North America from Asia due to travel.
Not all of them are dirty. A lot of them are. Most don't have the same hygienic habits as average Americans. Do you deny that everyone with SARS is connected to Asia or someone who has had a connection with Asia. Toronto is loaded with Chinese immigrants.. is it not?

Good hygiene is always the first line of defense against disease.

Here is an article about Chinese farmers feeding chickens pig feces. Sounds real clean.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32244

#208518 - 29/04/03 06:29 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:

I totally agree. Case in point: your hatred towards others not like you.

Quote:
Not all of them are dirty. A lot of them are. Most don't have the same hygienic habits as average Americans. Do you deny that everyone with SARS is connected to Asia or someone who has had a connection with Asia. Toronto is loaded with Chinese immigrants.. is it not?
Your stupidity at times rivals Off-His-Crib. A virus can mutate into a more dangerous and virulent form in ANY living being, and at ANYTIME. Granted quite a few flu strains can be traced to central asia, but a panademic much worse than SARS could occur tomorrow in this country, especially if the strain is pneumonic.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#208519 - 29/04/03 07:30 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
How many goddamn cases of SARS are there in Toronto, or in all of North America for that matter? This is un-fucking-believeable, people are acting like it's the next plague or something, when it's really not a big deal. It's the stupid media machine going full-tilt again.

:rolleyes:
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#208520 - 29/04/03 07:41 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Toronto has 267 probable cases of SARS, 124 remain in the hospital, and it has incurred 16 deaths from the disease.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#208521 - 29/04/03 08:56 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Toronto has 267 probable cases of SARS, 124 remain in the hospital, and it has incurred 16 deaths from the disease.
Make that 21 Deaths and yes the media is part of the hysteria.....

#208522 - 29/04/03 09:10 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
SARS cases helped sell out the Skydome.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0427/1545538.html

I have a friend who just got back from Thailand. He told me that the president of Thailand was working to thart the SARS scare. He guaranteed to anyone who got SARS in Thailand, would be treated to free medical care at the countries best hospital, and the government would pay for all expenses to fly in friends and relatives from anywhere in the world. If you happen to die from SARS, then your next of kin would be given $250,000 in Thailand dollars. (which equals about $1 million?? in US dollars)

I guess the president was trying to reinforce his confidence that Thailand was clean of SARS.

#208523 - 30/04/03 04:50 AM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
People are worried.

It appears that you can get SARS from immediate contact with an infected person. I don't know the specifics of how "intimate" the contact has to be, and I doubt the mechanics know, either. But it is an airborne condition, yes?

I'd probably be as wary as them. Would I ask you to leave? Who knows.

It's a new disease, and the media has pumped the scare factor up huge.

Paramedics didn't face this same kind of fear during the opening years of the AIDS scare, back in the 80s?
From what I saw on the news yesterday, it is only contagious from those who are outwardly showing symptoms. I heard this from a story done about that High School in Ohio that closed because parents were afraid of the kids that came back from Toronto . They were there for a band competition. All were certified healthy, but the histeria won out and the school was closed.

Jinx, I feel bad that you had to go through that. You should never be embarrased you are a paramedic, you are a hero.

#208524 - 30/04/03 07:42 AM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Cobrastrike Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Being from Toronto, I'd just like to share a little insight for those of you who aren't following that closely:
- The Toronto Blue Jays hosted a $1 a ticket game last night and the stadium was filled with almost 50,000 fans. This was done to show that Toronto is still a safe place and you can go to large venues without fearing for your safety.
- A number of stars have cancelled appearances here for fears of catching SARS. If close contact is required for the spread of SARS, why are they worried? They're always surrounded by their own bodyguards to make sure people don't get close anyway. Some of the more famous would include Jennifer Lopez, Richard Gere, Elton John, and Billy Joel.
- The World Health Organization yesterday lifted the travel advisory they had issued last week about coming to Toronto.
- As of yesterday, there were 69 probable/suspect cases in the hospital, 16 at home, and no further cases under investigation. These figures are for the entire province of Ontario, not just Toronto. (note, almost all of the cases are in the Toronto region).
-Probable case: A probable case is someone who either has chest x-ray findings of pneumonia or Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome OR is a suspect case with an unexplained respiratory illness resulting in death, with findings of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome of unidentifiable cause AND has had close contact with a probable or suspect case of SARS or traveled to Hong Kong, Vietnam, China, Taiwan or Singapore in the last 10 days.
- Suspect case: A person with a history of high fever (over 38 degrees C)AND respiratory symptoms including cough, shortness of breath, difficulty
breathing AND no other known cause of current illness AND has had close contact with a probable or suspect case of SARS or traveled to Hong Kong,
Vietnam, China, Taiwan, or Singapore in the last 10 days.

Knowledge is the best weapon in any fight.

#208525 - 05/05/03 05:18 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
MichaelShaw Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
to put things in perspective, "regular" strains of the influenza virus kill 36,000 every year in the U.S. alone.

#208526 - 05/05/03 10:32 PM Re: Nissan SARS discrimination!
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I guess I don't get what "Nissan" has to do with it. He dealt with a couple jackoffs that worked their. I'm sure Nissan didn't send out a corporate memo telling their employees to do this.

You need to separate these individuals from the larger corporate entity. Granted, I'd never go back to that dealership, but it wouldn't stop me from buying decent vehicles in the future. [Freak]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal