shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#208577 - 08/08/03 01:42 PM Re: My turn to rant....
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
My skill set is too varied and people don't believe I do all that shit. No one thinks a programmer can design graphics, or that a graphic artist can write code.

ebags.com interviewed me last week. They've been trying to fill a position for 3 months that was basically me, code/html/graphic design/IT/database. It went well and I'm waiting for a verdict.

I also have an interview tomorrow for a security company. They needed 2 people, a web designer, and a VB programmer with multimedia/DirectX experience. I recommended they combine the positions into one, and they agreed.

Wish me luck smile

#208578 - 08/08/03 01:54 PM Re: My turn to rant....
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Wish me luck smile
Okay wink ... good luck. laugh
If accepted... you did get the week of August 31st off... right. laugh wink

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#208579 - 08/08/03 01:55 PM Re: My turn to rant....
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Good luck Ian. cool

And yeah there is possibility to be "overqualified" in that industry.

#208580 - 08/08/03 02:39 PM Re: My turn to rant....
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
Good luck Ian. Next time my company needs a website designed/coded, I'll run your contact info up the flagpole!

I've been fortunate to be a "big fish" in a "small market." One of the things that helps is that I can shoot network quality video, and edit just as well. In St. Louis, the nearest major market, I would be one of dozens of shooters capable of that kind of work. In Hollywood, I'd probably be considered a beginner. But these big market people usually specialize in just one area (editing, videography, animation, audio). The fact that I can do multiple jobs, moderately to very well, makes me more valuable to the company I work for. (That doesn't mean that the owner won't freak out and can me next week, but it means he'll have a hell of a time trying to replace me.) I'm also continuing my education. The more you learn and diversify, the better your chances of successfully weathering an economic downturn.

Good luck everyone, (I'll probably be on the street next week. :rolleyes: )

#208581 - 08/08/03 02:53 PM Re: My turn to rant....
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I prefer the term "well-qualified" better than "over-qualified" The latter is just an instrument to say "you're not the one".

Having a Phd and wanting to sell ice-cream out of a van, now that's "over-qualified" IMO. Having several skills within a particular vocation, is a bonus. Not over-qualification to me. I wish some of the people working with us could do most of the shit they claim when they are hired on.

I'm thankful to have a good job, and I do wish you luck on finding the job that's good for you. smile

#208582 - 08/08/03 04:41 PM Re: My turn to rant....
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Wish me luck smile
Remember,

No Noogies
No Swearing
Do not stare at pictures on Desk uttering "Nice tits"
Wash arm pits, the smell of hot Bologna is a turn off.
Do not use words like: Radical, Rightious, and Fochizzle
Do not start the interview by yelling "Objection" or "Move to strike"

#208583 - 11/08/03 10:24 AM Re: My turn to rant....
XtremeFlyer Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Thought this was an interesting editorial. Not necessarily my views, I think we should increase the amount of "Buy American" percentages.

USA Today Editorial

#208584 - 11/08/03 08:03 PM Re: My turn to rant....
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by XtremeFlyer:
Thought this was an interesting editorial. Not necessarily my views, I think we should increase the amount of "Buy American" percentages.
Buy american as we sit on a message board dedicated to a vehicle produced by a foriegn company :rolleyes:

It's a global economy kids - just like the article points out.

The days of us rolling up into a cacoon and ignoring the rest of the world are over - we need trading partners.

So what if the shit jobs are moving overseas? If you are in a shit industry, better yourself, take the salary with it and move up.

As my grandfather was fond of saying "don't wait for the roast duck to fly into your mouth"....

#208585 - 11/08/03 10:17 PM Re: My turn to rant....
XtremeFlyer Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Well, the Xterra is built in the US, creating US Jobs, first of all.. And the Buy American from the article is pertaining to defense items, and since I work in the defense industry, its in my best interest for the government to Buy American.

And even though I work in the Defense Industry, I get to pick and choose pretty much what I want to work on. I would not work on any missle programs or any fighter programs (I had an offer to work on the Joint Strike Fighter, which admittedly would have been a lot 'cooler' than what I am working on now).. I work on intelligence programs that help keep our troops safer, and hopefully our homeland safer, I can't control how the government uses the info unfortunately, just do the best I can to help provide it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal