shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#211777 - 13/05/03 10:37 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
The point is, it is a Democrat dressed in 'the uniform of a warrior'. :rolleyes:
Are you saying dems can be that? Tell that to Kerry or JFK. :p
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#211778 - 13/05/03 11:06 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:

Quote:
[b]The point is, it is a Democrat dressed in 'the uniform of a warrior'. :rolleyes:
Are you saying dems can be that? Tell that to Kerry or JFK. :p [/b]
Good point Mobycat! What war did Bush Jr. serve in? BZZZZZZZ! (buzzer sounds)...NONE! 10 to 1, "Uniform of the warrior" will be the most popular costume this Halloween...

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#211779 - 13/05/03 11:30 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
You both missed the point. That idiot legislator who stirred this up, said that Bush should not have worn the flight suit, because he is not a soldier. The other picture shows a Democrat wearing the same type of suit when he was not a soldier.

#211780 - 13/05/03 12:20 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
I heard this on Neil Boortz radio show. I thought it was pretty funny. I wonder if it's true.

Quote:
I am led to understand that George Bush was making some of the radio calls when his Navy SB3 approached the USS Abraham Lincoln almost two weeks ago.

When an aircraft approaches the carrier for landing the pilot is, as I understand it, supposed to line up some brightly lit balls in a display off to the side of the landing deck. As Navy One was on final approach for trap aboard to the Abraham Lincoln Bush is said to have keyed the mic and say “Lincoln, Navy One, 12,500 lbs, I have the balls."

The crowd, as they say, went wild.

#211781 - 13/05/03 01:44 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
You both missed the point. That idiot legislator who stirred this up, said that Bush should not have worn the flight suit, because he is not a soldier. The other picture shows a Democrat wearing the same type of suit when he was not a soldier.
Actually, I'm not so sure you have a choice. I did a video on the CH-53 helicopter with the Marines. When we went up in the craft to do some shooting, we HAD to wear the flight suits. None of us were soldiers.

(Also - flying in a CH-53 is awesome. Especially when you get to sit right at the back with the rear hatch opened, held only in by a strap. Shooting two of them flying all around you up there is cool as shit, too. Also got to play around in the simulator for a quick spell...pretty funny to crash it when you aren't trying to learn it for real. laugh )
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#211782 - 13/05/03 02:43 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
2001frontier Offline

That is what I thought. The ex-Klansmen that was spouting off about Bush talked about him wearing the flight suit, and said it was innapropriate. From what you are saying, it sounds like he had to.

#211783 - 13/05/03 02:45 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Trihead Offline

Loc: Austin Texas
Flight suits are made of Nomex a flame retardant material. He would have had to.

#211784 - 13/05/03 03:02 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
buck Offline

Loc: Shohola,PA. 18458
Let's cut the crap! Bush is the President of the United States, and he decided where to give the speech. Was it good PR? Yes. Was it a great morale builder for all the troops, not just the ones on the carrier? You bet! Let's get off the President and the cost...bottom line is it was great, and everyone on the carrier appreciated it. Did it delay the arrival at port? No....friends of mine have sons on that carrier and said that the policy is to arrive on time as scheduled for the welcome home festivities. All they would have done is stayed out another day. Too much about the PR and $.........it was a great event and made us proud to be Americans.

#211785 - 13/05/03 03:11 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by buck:
Did it delay the arrival at port? No....friends of mine have sons on that carrier and said that the policy is to arrive on time as scheduled for the welcome home festivities. All they would have done is stayed out another day. Too much about the PR and $.........it was a great event and made us proud to be Americans.
Well, if they stayed out another day, it delayed them, didn't it?

I'm not saying it was wrong. On the contrary, I think it was fine for him to do, and everyone on that ship deserved it.

#211786 - 13/05/03 04:12 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
MBFlyerfan Offline

Loc: NJ, Just east of the Walt.
Quote:
Originally posted by buck:
Let's cut the crap! Bush is the President of the United States, and he decided where to give the speech. Was it good PR? Yes. Was it a great morale builder for all the troops, not just the ones on the carrier? You bet! Let's get off the President and the cost...bottom line is it was great, and everyone on the carrier appreciated it. Did it delay the arrival at port? No....friends of mine have sons on that carrier and said that the policy is to arrive on time as scheduled for the welcome home festivities. All they would have done is stayed out another day. Too much about the PR and $.........it was a great event and made us proud to be Americans.
Quote:
Well, if they stayed out another day, it delayed them, didn't it?

No, he is saying that this wouldve happened anyway.
Buck makes the point the Dems conveniently forgot. The ship docked exactly when it was supposed to. President or no, it wouldve circled out there until Friday NO MATTER WHAT. Keep digging your holes you stupid democrats. (not you Moby, those in office) laugh They cant stand that the President looked good, but they also cant stand that he was welcomed so joyously and obviously looked like he belonged. Not like those military hating democrats.

#211787 - 13/05/03 05:01 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Why am I not suprised by your xenophobic and racist remarks? What's wrong with trying to save the millions of people in Africa? Should we just sit back and watch the Pope just tell them to abstain? Actually, I'm suprised Bush is even attempting this, definitly something you don't hear about coming from republican's.

:rolleyes:
What's wrong with abstinence? It works 100% of the time.

#211788 - 13/05/03 05:15 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
[b]Why am I not suprised by your xenophobic and racist remarks? What's wrong with trying to save the millions of people in Africa? Should we just sit back and watch the Pope just tell them to abstain? Actually, I'm suprised Bush is even attempting this, definitly something you don't hear about coming from republican's.

:rolleyes:
What's wrong with abstinence? It works 100% of the time.[/b]
Nothing's wrong with it. But trying to teach it (and leave everything else out) is irresponsible.

#211789 - 14/05/03 09:00 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
That is what I thought. The ex-Klansmen that was spouting off about Bush talked about him wearing the flight suit, and said it was innapropriate. From what you are saying, it sounds like he had to.
The flight-suit for an F-16 contains air-filled bladders.

During high-G manoeuvers, these bladders inflate, crushing against the thighs, forcing the blood back up into the body to keep the pilot (or passenger) from passing out.

Chances are, the F-16, in a lazy, sweeping turn, can still generate enough G-force to drop an unprepared politician in a heartbeat . . .

S-3 Vikings generate almost no G-force, certainly nothing on par with the Viper. Whether it was the flame-retardant properties of the suit that were the benefits, I don't know. But wearing a flight-suit in an F-16 and in an S-3 Viking are very different concerns . . .

I'll bet the President would have been just fine in a suit. Helicopters can crash and burn, too, but I've never seen a President in a nomex suit on the Presidential helo . . .

#211790 - 14/05/03 11:07 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
bennet Offline

I'm fortunate enough to fly in F-16s. The life-support gear, including clothing, is all engineered with purpose, part of which is to keep one alive. I don't even know what type of aircraft Bush flew in. I didn't read it that closely.

Here's what one wears as an F-16 crewmember.
  • Flight suit - special material, pockets, velcro, adjustable, zippers working special ways.
  • G-suit - the item containing the air bladders that squeeze your thighs and abdomen. Fits very tightly prior to g-activation with zippers and velcro.
  • Boots - specially designed with features specific to pilots - won't go into it.
  • Gloves - standard, nothing special.
  • Harness - heavy, network of nylon-webbed straps and buckles that straps around your body parts, very tightly, and keeps you attached to your seat at five attach points and also to your survival kit, it is the harness for your parachute in the event of emergency egress.
  • Skullcap - under the helmet.
  • Helmet - incorporates minimal impact protection, incorporates headset and visor, and attachment points for mask and chinstrap.
  • Mask - the worst part. Provides air and O2, and reverse breathing modes at altitude. Incorporates the mic. Fits very tightly and is not pleasant to wear.

In this aircraft, these things are not an option. Then there are special things in addition sometimes.
I think Bush's posing is great PR. I like having a leader that presents the image of a crewmember decked out in "warrior gear" on a flight deck, as opposed to the image of a man cheating on his wife, getting a hummer from an intern behind a closed door (which costs the public how much?).

#211791 - 14/05/03 11:25 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
bennet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bennet:
I don't even know what type of aircraft Bush flew in....
So I hear he landed in an S3. The flight gear he was wearing is all appropriate for that aircraft. He flew in as a crewmember.

In fact, it would have been inappropriate for him to not have that gear.

If he had flown in as a passenger on a helicopter or carrier, then civilian clothes would have been okay.

#211792 - 14/05/03 01:32 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
(Also - flying in a CH-53 is awesome. Especially when you get to sit right at the back with the rear hatch opened, held only in by a strap. Shooting two of them flying all around you up there is cool as shit, too. Also got to play around in the simulator for a quick spell...pretty funny to crash it when you aren't trying to learn it for real. laugh )
Yeah. Jump out of one. That's a hoot.... smile

#211793 - 30/05/03 11:48 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
X-Yotaluva Offline

Loc: Rural Hall, NC

#211794 - 31/05/03 11:14 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
2001frontier Offline

That picture is pretty cool! I don't know if it is supposed to be derogatory or not, but I like it.

#211795 - 01/06/03 08:59 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
MBFlyerfan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Yotaluva:
I prefer to look at it with pride. laugh

#211796 - 04/06/03 01:23 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Bassque Offline

Loc: St. Louis
See Byrd doesn't realize that his rambling are costing more tax $$$ then the president's landing. They wern't delayed, and they were happy he was there. My cousin was on that boat. I'd love to see how much of my money Byrd spends on his tantrums.

#211797 - 06/06/03 11:39 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
babyX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mbflyerfan:
It seems to me that safety was a non-issue. A million dollars is like $5.50 in government speak. I wonder how much it wouldve cost for Marine 1 to make the same trip. My guess is not much less. [Freak] :rolleyes:
*Heather drags out her Liberal soapbox and climbs aboard, apologizing for not having seen this thread earlier*

Safety is always an issue. I haven't had a car accident for over two years, but that doesn't mean I don't buckle up.

And a million dollars means a hell of a lot more than $5 to millions of kids who aren't fed well on a daily basis, animals who are abandoned in the streets to die, or to cancer research or stem-cell research or any other sort of "charity".

Jesus Christ, people, ever heard of "priorities"?

Bush can ride in buck-naked on a cactus, for all I care. But there's no reason to waste money on a stunt like that.

#211798 - 06/06/03 10:46 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
2001frontier Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
*Heather drags out her Liberal soapbox and climbs aboard, apologizing for not having seen this thread earlier*

Safety is always an issue. I haven't had a car accident for over two years, but that doesn't mean I don't buckle up.

And a million dollars means a hell of a lot more than $5 to millions of kids who aren't fed well on a daily basis, animals who are abandoned in the streets to die, or to cancer research or stem-cell research or any other sort of "charity".

Bush can ride in buck-naked on a cactus, for all I care. But there's no reason to waste money on a stunt like that.
Did you read the whole post. It cost $7 more per hour to fly in on the airplane than the chopper.

#211799 - 07/06/03 08:31 AM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
MBFlyerfan Offline

Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

#211800 - 07/06/03 02:00 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
[b]*Heather drags out her Liberal soapbox and climbs aboard, apologizing for not having seen this thread earlier*

Did you read the whole post. It cost $7 more per hour to fly in on the airplane than the chopper.[/b]
Yeah, instead lets spend that $7 feeding and sheltering two-bit crack whores who do nothing more than lie on their back and give birth to bastardized children in order to collect more $7. You liberals are the biggest waste of tax dollars going today.

#211801 - 07/06/03 03:40 PM Re: President Bush: Glory Hound?
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by off2cjb:
You liberals are the biggest waste of tax dollars going today.
Unlike those $600 toilet seat covers Reagan was buying, eh?

[Wave] Just kidding. I still don't see what the big deal was with Bush doing it.

This thread is like a dripping faucet...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal