shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212682 - 10/10/05 05:51 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:

The only reason you don't get stuck is because you think sandy dirt roads is offroading.[/QB]

Just one of our many "sandy dirt roads". See ya on the trails, maybe.

#212683 - 14/10/05 07:43 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Xterra probably has the largest (offroad) aftermarket of any SUV currently on the market. If you are having trouble getting stuff, it's because your vehicle hasn't been out a year yet.
[/QB]
Jeff, please don't take this the wrong way, but you're spouting a load of bull.

I love my X, but it definitely doesn't have "the largest offroad aftermarket." 2manytoys already told you that you can practically build an entire Jeep out of aftermarket components. He was not joking. There are tens of catalogs, and thousands of websites, devoted entirely to Jeeps. The aftermarket for the X is not even on the same scale. We're lucky to get a front and rear bumper and a lift, while the jeep folks can easily and cheaply buy new axles, trannys, entire bodies, COUNTLESS suspension, lift, and steering components, etc...

Even my F250, that I traded in when I got the X, had a much larger off-road aftermarket than the X.

Here are just a few of the bumpers available for the F250 (what I found after a 5 minute search):

http://www.roadarmor.com/ --my favorite
http://www.offroadalloys.com/
http://buckstop.biz/index.html
http://www.aluminess.com/
http://www.randyellisdesign.com/FAB%20PICS%20AND%20STUFF/
http://www.uteltd.com/pages/bullbar.htm
http://www.reunel.com/products.html
http://www.arb.com.au/ford.htm

Like I said, that's what I found after a short search. I'm sure there are many more. As for the X, we have 2 choices (and that's probably all we'll ever have).

Accessories after market size for SUVS/Trucks:

1. Jeep
2. Jeep, Jeep, Jeep!
3. Thats right, Jeep!
4. Did I remember to mention the Jeep!

5. Ford Trucks
6. Chevy/Dodge Trucks

...somewhere down the list...

-. Nissan Xterra

Where's the truck conversion for the X?
http://www.roadarmor.com/ra3/summitsut.html

BTW... There are way too many jeep parts and accessories websites for me to even begin listing them. I googled "jeep off road" and got 2,180,000 results. I also googled "xterra off road" and got 66,900 results.

We're all here because we love our Xs. But please stop saying things that are so totally untrue that they will completely embarrass any rational Xterra owner.

You guys all rock. I love XOC and enjoy modding my X (as much as possible). Jeff, sorry about the rant, but you were just wrong on this one. The super-gay [Rainbow] jeep-bashing pictures don't help either. smile

#212684 - 15/10/05 11:51 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

C'mon guys, you all seem to forget this is an Xterra board... of course there are going to be bias twards Nissans.

I love the X more than most of my family members.

We all chose the X on that day in the dealership, not because of it's capability, but because it appealed to us in some form. Wether it was the Nissan commercials (which still make me giddy when I see them), the unique style, or what ever, we all picked it for some reason. Me personally.. I also chose it because there was a strong brotherhood of X drivers, centralized right here on XOC, crazy bastards that love this truck as much as I do.

It comes down to:

Buy a jeep if you want to be like every other schmuck out there, just a number

Or buy an X and be one of the few, the proud, the Nissan Enthusiasts.

[Finger]

#212685 - 15/10/05 01:25 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about something a little more realistic:

-Buy a Jeep if you want a pure off-road vehicle, with an extremely developed aftermaket that can provide you with any part imaginable. Unfortunately, you lose all the creature comforts, fuel economy, on-road drivability, etc...

-Buy a X if you want a great off-road vehicle that is also extremely capable on-road. The X was not designed to be a pure off-road vehicle (a.k.a. Jeep). There is a post somewhere on this board which says that the majority of X owners are women (most of which would never imagine taking their truck off-roading). I believe this demographic is much closer to that of Grand Cherokee owners; so if you want to compare the X to the GC, have at it.

Personally, I would never buy a Jeep for the reasons I listed throughout this thread, and many others. I love the X and when I'm done with it, it will be an extremely off-road capable truck. I just don't pretend it is what it isn't (and was never meant to be).

-There are many great reasons to buy an X; but pretending that you are better than the Jeep crowd is not one of them. They're just gonna laugh at you for driving a chick truck. wink

#212686 - 15/10/05 06:50 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:

-There are many great reasons to buy an X; but pretending that you are better than the Jeep crowd is not one of them. They're just gonna laugh at you for driving a chick truck. wink
So then you are saying that Jeepers are better than people who drive Xterras? Interesting.

It seems to me that there is no "better" one. It's all a matter of preference.

#212687 - 15/10/05 10:19 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian:
[b]
So then you are saying that Jeepers are better than people who drive Xterras? Interesting.

It seems to me that there is no "better" one. It's all a matter of preference.[/b]
dude are you kidding? is the jeep better offroad than the X, possibly, depending what its doing, if offroading you mean ripping up ruts with 38-40inch tires so no one else can use the trails, ok ill give jeeps that, chick trucks? umm i believe out of every 10 modded jeeps i see, at least 6 of em are chicks, plenty with the "jeeps are for girls silly!" tire covers, and the "cute" girly sayings, as for the X, well lets see, i can sleep in it, carry all my gear, go and actually wheel without tearing up the trails (not saying all jeepers too, but many that i've talked to all gloat on how they were ripping up the trails making huge ruts) and its comfortable for daily driving, long highway use, im with WolfmanX, there is no "better" offroader, just what you make of it, and i honestly have NOTHING against jeeps, they are awesome offroad rigs, but when you come on and start making fun of Xs calling em chick trucks, and saying the Xs arent as capable, well i can list plenty of links for girly accesories that is made FOR the jeep, and plenty of pics of Xterras doing exactly what jeeps do

#212688 - 16/10/05 12:02 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why is this thread even still here?

#212689 - 16/10/05 12:11 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutz:
Why is this thread even still here?
Exactly!!! [ThumbsUp]

#212690 - 16/10/05 01:42 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PavementWarrior:
Quote:
[b]Why is this thread even still here?
Exactly!!! [ThumbsUp] [/b]
So we have somthing else to do other than work? [LOL]

#212691 - 16/10/05 07:54 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by PavementWarrior:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Why is this thread even still here?
Exactly!!! [ThumbsUp] [/b]
So we have somthing else to do other than work? [LOL] [/b]
OK, you got me there! Continue on with this thread! I can't argue with getting out of work! laugh

#212692 - 16/10/05 10:19 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

this thread is still here because either:

A: this topic is/was a huge factor in MANY X buyers decision when purchasing it

B: many X buyers have a massive inferiority complex (which is absurd but true) (this also adds to their inept ability to stay in a conversation with a jeep owner...now they'll have ammunition.

C: helps folks to truly recognize the fair differences between the two, and they all want to get out of work all while being mentally productive towards their X.... and they're foaming at the mouth to go offroad.

D: let's face it, we're all interested in this because we want to know exactly how close our X is to performing like a Jeep offroading, and other opinions help us understand our truck better.

SO, to those that option B applies to (and deep down you know who you are, it's ok to admit it), RELAX guys [Smoking] . UNDERSTAND the differences of our two vehicles. If you are so eager to prove yourself, and feel inadequate in an X, go buy a damn Jeep and stop worrying... but don't be an elitest dick. Spare the ones that have no complex and would way rather own an X. Pick a side I guess, I don't know. Otherwise, you help make this topic truly worth while... so keep posting, it's fun.

i'm still totally a newbie... never been offroading. but all these truths are very obvious, clear and easy to understand. i recently bought an OR black 4x4 05 model. i'm waiting on some more money to start my modding, but i'm in no rush yet. been talked into sliders first, then serious underarmor, then i think tires lastly. (probably wuss out on the wait and get my delta flow 40 pipes somewhere at the beginning though).

can't wait to start!

#212693 - 16/10/05 10:44 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good luck! It only gets better from here! [ThumbsUp]

#212694 - 16/10/05 12:13 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

im late responding to this thread because i thought it was a dumb topic, but anyways i have an idea, get an XTERRA with wranglers on it

i just dont understand why anyone would ask that type of question here.

im sure you dont have people jeep boards ask if they should buy a jeep or an X..

its kinda like going to a chinese resturaunt and ordering a cheeseburger!!!

:rolleyes:

#212695 - 17/10/05 07:59 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

... and plenty of pics of Xterras doing exactly what jeeps do...

Again, the Xterra is wonderful, does a lot of things a Jeep will do, but I don't think you'll find too many Xterras doing what all Jeeps can do. Keeping it real...

#212696 - 17/10/05 08:25 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wait 'til 2007, and get a 4-door Wrangler... It's coming soon...

[Finger]

#212697 - 17/10/05 09:06 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#212698 - 17/10/05 10:08 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Let's compare apples to apples, first off. I don't care if you can get a lift on some behemoth truck that won't even fit down a trail.

A 2004 Xterra has at least 5 choices for winch bumpers. Plenty of lift and armor choices, too!

How much can you get for a 2004:

Escape?
Santa Fe?
Highlander?
4runner?
Equinox?
Liberty?

The 2005's aftermarket is shaping up great, too. Make no mistake about it, the Xterra's offroad aftermarket is better than any other SUV on the market right now. Thi Libby has some interesting options, but I'd still take an X.
You've got to be kidding me... Somebody is actually touting Nissan aftermarket options as a PLUS?? Are you retarded? Just asking. Because if you compare the only two vehicles in that list that compete w/ the Nissan (4Runner & Liberty), and decide to pick strictly on the available aftermarket, if Nissan even comes in anything other than 3rd, then you can answer that question with a firm, "YES!!"

Nissan's aftermarket is the weakest of all the offroading SUV's. The Escape, Sante Fe, Highlander, and Equinox (isn't that a mini-van w/ regular doors...?) aren't offroad capable rigs. They're street/sport SUVs, NOT street/offroad SUVs.

And if you want to compare the Liberty & 4Runner's aftermarket, then the 4Runner has the most, followed by the Liberty, and very slowly limping in at 3rd would be the Xterra.

But then again, maybe you've never heard of all the Jeep & Toyota aftermarket companies. There are 3 main aftermarkets for Nissan. I can't even count on two hands, the main aftermarket companies for Jeeps and Toyotas.

Tought the abilities of the Xterra (good on street, good on trail), but don't try to say we have a great aftermarket! We pay approximately double the price for similiar upgrades, and we have less options available to begin with. That's not good aftermarket; that's a painful aftermarket. Yes, it's getting better. But it's got a very, very long way to go before it catches up to Jeep & Toyota.

#212699 - 17/10/05 10:12 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
......It comes down to:

Buy a jeep if you want to be like every other schmuck out there, just a number

Or buy an X and be one of the few, the proud, the Nissan Enthusiasts.
[ThumbsUp]

#212700 - 17/10/05 10:49 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Let's compare apples to apples......
You've got to be kidding me... Somebody is actually touting Nissan aftermarket options as a PLUS?? Are you retarded? Just asking. Because if you compare the only two vehicles in that list that compete w/ the Nissan (4Runner & Liberty), and decide to pick strictly on the available aftermarket, if Nissan even comes in anything other than 3rd, then you can answer that question with a firm, "YES!!"

Nissan's aftermarket is the weakest of all the offroading SUV's. The Escape, Sante Fe, Highlander, and Equinox (isn't that a mini-van w/ regular doors...?) aren't offroad capable rigs. They're street/sport SUVs, NOT street/offroad SUVs.

And if you want to compare the Liberty & 4Runner's aftermarket, then the 4Runner has the most, followed by the Liberty, and very slowly limping in at 3rd would be the Xterra.

But then again, maybe you've never heard of all the Jeep & Toyota aftermarket companies. There are 3 main aftermarkets for Nissan. I can't even count on two hands, the main aftermarket companies for Jeeps and Toyotas.

Tought the abilities of the Xterra (good on street, good on trail), but don't try to say we have a great aftermarket! We pay approximately double the price for similiar upgrades, and we have less options available to begin with. That's not good aftermarket; that's a painful aftermarket. Yes, it's getting better. But it's got a very, very long way to go before it catches up to Jeep & Toyota.
Retarded? That's pretty lame, man.

Regardless, I'll call bullsh!t.
Not true, not true, not true.....

Old Generations of 4runners have strong aftermarket. The new generation's options pale in comparison to the Xterras options.

You're stuck in the past, bud. Out of all the recent (2003+) vehicles I listed, The Xterra has the best aftermarket options. It might take a little bit for the '05s to catch up, but the die is cast.

The reason I listed all the grocery getters is because they are comparably sized & priced 4-door SUV.

We're talking about SUVs here. So you can stop being a Jeep/Toyota whore. The vast majority of aftermarket on those is for CJ/YJ/TJ, and old yota pickups not SUVs. The older generation 4runners and Cherokees have good options, but that's history.

As for CURRENT PRODUCTION SUVs, the Xterra is the only choice for a decent aftermarket. The Libby has options but is a unibody piece of sh!t.

I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble understanding that current models need to be compared to each other, not compared to '85 4runner options......

#212701 - 17/10/05 11:40 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Now that is a LAUGH. You post a pic of some highly modified rigs and talk about what jeeps can do? Gimme a break. Most Jeeps (like Xterras) are just grocery getters.

If I were gonna spend a bunch of $$$ on modding a trail rig, it wouldn't be on a Wrangler. An Xterra is simply a better trail rig. My Xterra holds a lot more gear and is perfect to sleep in (backseats fold flat).

If you want a vehicle to get out to the wilderness, but an X. If you want a vehicle to flex in the parking lot or trailer to some rocks, go buy a Jeep.
Jeff,

You obviously missed the point, again. Yes, these were highly modified Jeeps. Read slowly... these parts are READILY AVAILABLE. Can you buy such parts for your X? Can you get this kind of articulation from your X?

As for camping in your X, great...

Don't know about the capacity of this roof rack, but the one I had on my Jeep was 500 lbs, unlike the 125 lb rating of the one for the X. This one is much beefier than the 500 lb model I had.

Your problem is you can't accept that the Jeep is more capable out of the box. Nor can you accept that Xterra is WAY down on the list of vehicles supported by the aftermarket. To even suggest the X has any support versus a Jeep is silly. How many Xterra exclusive aftermarket catalogs are there? Is there even one??? A single page flyer doesn't make a catalog!

Oh, here's a fairly stock Jeep for ya:

Helluva grocery getter, eh?

If you have to knock the competition, it doesn't say much for your rig. I don't know of any Jeep owners bashing X owners. You go figure out why.

Love my X, but I know it has far less support, and without modifying it, it isn't as trail ready as my Jeep was. I don't do extreme off-roading, and my X will certainly do anything I ask of it... But the original question was asked, and without getting knickers in knots, I answered the question. Having actually owned both, I at least have some real world experience. I'm not knocking either one, just trying to keep the BS from swamping the facts. :p

Psst, nobody said your vehicle sucked... you assumed that. If I didn't like mine, I wouldn't have bought it.

#212702 - 17/10/05 11:49 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

And I'm not sure how you don't know of the options for the liberty. Even if it is a "unibody piece of shit", like you think, it still has a stronger aftermarket than the Xterra.

Proof positive, name 2 manufacturers of differential gears available for Nissan... Heck, name 1 manufacturer that isn't a division of Nissan...

I think the X is a great SUV, and a moderately capable offroader. Off the lot, it's just as capable as any other SUV that's "offroadable". That inclues the Wrangler, Libery, 4Runner, and any other SUV you want to discuss. I'll agree with you on that.

But if you're talking about aftermarket, then the X just plain isn't in the same league. And if you want to discuss the newest versions of each, then the X really misses out, because other than coil spacers, there's not yet a single manufacturer of a lift kit, for the '05 model Xterra. The 3 aftermarket companies for the X all say "Coming Soon".

But if I had a new model of the 4Runner, or if I had a Jeep Liberty or Wrangler, I could go out and take a pick from DOZENS of manufacturers of lift kits. Or gears. Or body lifts. Or body armor, etc. Like it or not, that's the way the market is.

#212703 - 17/10/05 12:05 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
Quote:
Now that is a LAUGH........want a vehicle to get out to the wilderness, but an X. If you want a vehicle to flex in the parking lot or trailer to some rocks, go buy a Jeep.
........To even suggest the X has any support versus a Jeep is silly........I don't know of any Jeep owners bashing X owners........
I think reading previous posts would be a good idea before replying.

The Xterra has the best offroading aftermarket of any current model SUV. That's what I said; that's what I meant.

Jeeps are OK. If they didn't break all the time I'd probably like them better.

The Xterra os a better offroad rig IMO.

Since you've obviously never even been offroading outside of a sandy road or some mud, I welcome you to bring any rig you want out to Colorado. Once you get on a trail, you'll only be ten years away from having the experience it takes to speculate on this matter.

I don't care for Jeeps because of the short wheelbase, the lack of a decent interior, weak stock axles (non-rubis), and the lack of a decent place to sleep.

The Xterra is a better trail rig in 99.9% of scenarios. For trails that require more modification, theres plenty of mods available for the X.

Modding any vehicle is expensive. So why waste all your $$$ on a jeep just to be like everybody else..........

...Besides, when you hit a steep hill in a SWB rig, you get

#212704 - 17/10/05 12:13 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
......But if I had a new model of the 4Runner, or if I had a Jeep Liberty or Wrangler, I could go out and take a pick from DOZENS of manufacturers of lift kits. Or gears. Or body lifts. Or body armor, etc. Like it or not, that's the way the market is.
The Wrangler's not an SUV.

A 2003 X vs a 2003 4runner, the X has better options, period.

For the Libby:

There's no body lift kit (obviously)

No SAS kit

Limited bumper options

Talking about mods that haven't come out yet on a brand new vehicle should be taken with a grain of salt. The aftermarket on the '05 has every indication that it will be even stronger than on the Gen I's.

Like I said. The Xterra has the strongest aftermarket of any mid-sized/compact SUV on the market. I stand by that statement.

#212705 - 17/10/05 12:22 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How is the Wrangler NOT an SUV? It's ALWAYS been an SUV.

You've got to be kidding me...

And you're right. There isn't a SAS kit for the Liberty.

But there is a 7" lift, long-arm suspension kit. For less $$ than the '05 Xterra's 5" suspension lifts will cost (as estimated by their manufacturers).

There's also plenty of options for a regular lift kit, in the 4" range, for under $500.

There's also t-case gears, differential gears, and underneath protection, from several different manufacturers. All for lower costs than anything you can get for Nissan.

And whether you like unibody or not, Jeep proved it can be made VERY well, with the XJ. So just 'cause it's unibody, doesn't mean it's necessarily bad. I've seen plenty of tricked out Xj's on trail. Most of which are even more capable than the SAS'd Xterra's, just because of the aftermarket support.

#212706 - 17/10/05 12:47 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, mine never broke, and having owned it for a year, and spent actual time talking with other owners in person and online, I sure didn't read about them breaking their Wranglers either.

Yes, SWB has some downsides. But so does have 1000-1500 lbs extra weight, much of it being up high:

So get a LWB Wrangler.

Heavy rigs suck in the mud.

Well, I have been to Pismo beach a number of times, lived in AZ for 3 years, been to Utah, New Mexico and Colorado numerous times (including Engineer Pass). Also been off-roading in GA, and TN.

Wahoo, the Xterra is the most widely supported SUV. But compared to the Jeep, that ain't saying much. Like having a single sheet of available mods versus an old Sears catalog... sheesh!

Maybe you should read the TOPIC again. Wrangler vs. Xterra.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal