shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212757 - 19/10/05 05:36 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys, seriously... You all are just repeating yourself and nothing more. Advantages and disadvantages of both have already been mentioned, there's no need to post that the X is better on road than the Jepp - we know that.

Let it go Enjoy what you have. How freaking hard is that? A good healthy argument is nice but the same thing over and over, and over, and over...

#212758 - 06/11/05 09:30 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Im a noob too, well at least to xterras...i previously had a gen I montero with 33's and a lift...looking to suppliment my vw with a x in the near future....relocating to the mountains...i have a few questions for those who dont mind answering......what years were the xterras produced...was 00 the first year? Were all 4x models produced with limited slip rear ends? is there a factory locker model...or do you have to go the ARB route...what is gas mileage stock? what about with, say 32/33's my montero had 33's and got 10-12 mpgs, please tell me the x's are higher...i finally sold my montero for 3500, it had 300k on the original motor...do these rigs get that milage with proper maintenance....what engines are available i assume most 4x's have v6s, if so what size..did nissan ever make a 4 banger turbo or a diesel model? whew thats enough for now....hopefully i will get some answers rather than a do a search function...becasue search is down..and i may by an 01 tommorow....thanks in advance smile

#212759 - 08/11/05 03:56 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by balsaaaq:
Ok Im a noob too, well at least to xterras...i previously had a gen I montero with 33's and a lift...looking to suppliment my vw with a x in the near future....relocating to the mountains...i have a few questions for those who dont mind answering......what years were the xterras produced...was 00 the first year? Were all 4x models produced with limited slip rear ends? is there a factory locker model...or do you have to go the ARB route...what is gas mileage stock? what about with, say 32/33's my montero had 33's and got 10-12 mpgs, please tell me the x's are higher...i finally sold my montero for 3500, it had 300k on the original motor...do these rigs get that milage with proper maintenance....what engines are available i assume most 4x's have v6s, if so what size..did nissan ever make a 4 banger turbo or a diesel model? whew thats enough for now....hopefully i will get some answers rather than a do a search function...becasue search is down..and i may by an 01 tommorow....thanks in advance smile
Jeez man, the search function deserves a work out but here's the briefing:

The X went into pruction as a '00 model. Not every X has a limited slip rear end. Mostly SE models came with it, although there are some exceptions like the enthusiast package in 02+.

There was no factory locker option until the '05 came out. ARB is the only way for not on older models. Gas mileage stock is about 14-17 mpg in the city with a V6. All 4wd Xs were V6. The mileage with 32's or 33's will be anywhere from 10-14 mpg depending on whatever else you have on there.

Yes, with proper maintenance these engines can go to 300,000 although I don't think there's anyone on here with that high a mileage. The most I have seen on here was a bit over 150,000. they are still driving, however.

Yes, the X was offered as a diesel 4 banger but not here, in Australia. There was no turbo 4 banger or V6, however 2002 and up were available with a supercharger. Mileage with a supercharger drops about 2 mpgs from stock regular.

Have fun and browse the forums. There's a lot to read here.

#212760 - 09/11/05 09:43 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My coworker (soft-core jeep nut) claims his son's stock Wrangler X would run circles around my 4x4 OR off road. He keeps going off about mil-specs and BS like that.. According to my research, the OR Xterra has more power, torque, tire size, and clearance than the Wrangler X... AND I have a locking rear diff.

I really don't care, either way.. I hate the argument. They are both capable of getting the job done for the average person. As far as I can tell, the Xterra offers a more comfortable ride, more gear space, etc. (better features for MY life). Drive whatever you want! wink

#212761 - 09/11/05 06:34 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got both. the new X is too big to really seriously be used over rocks, but does everthing else better (and cheaper).

#212762 - 09/11/05 07:51 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Karlan:
My coworker (soft-core jeep nut) claims his son's stock Wrangler X would run circles around my 4x4 OR off road. He keeps going off about mil-specs and BS like that.. According to my research, the OR Xterra has more power, torque, tire size, and clearance than the Wrangler X... AND I have a locking rear diff.
So... take him up on it. Lots of talk on these forums. Be one that'll take someone up on a challenge.

If he has a regular length Wrangler, he's already 1000 lbs lighter than you. The X is heavier, and much of it is sprung, making it top heavy. Did you also catch the part about drainplugs in the floor, the computer being in a watertight housing at the top of the firewall, the altenator being mounted at the top of the motor, and even the stereo being splashproof?

Serious off-roaders go for straight axles, rather than IFS. I'm into R/C stuff too, and here's a simple demonstration of an IFS suspension versus a straight axle:

Both vehicles have their rear axles firmly planted. Anything more would raise a rear tire. I show you, and others, this picture so you can see why straight axles perform better when climbing over obstacles. Having an extra inch of ground clearance is great, but having the ability to put a tire on the obstacle, and go over it, changes the game entirely. Do a little more research and you'll find out the new suspension on the Wranglers out performs most vehicles, even many older, modified Wranglers. It's VERY nible and has a lot of articulation. Oh, if you want to see a real world stock Jeep with this articulation, follow this link. Here's how an Xterra stacked up with the swaybar removed: Link. Compare the RTI (Ramp Travel Index) figures yourself, keeping in mind both vehicles are stock, but swaybars removed.

Be glad he didn't get the "off-road" version, or he'd show up in Rubicon trim, and eat your lunch. Yes, those come with factor lockers, front and back.

If you want him to respect your ride, then earn it. wink

FWIW, my girlfriend is looking at buying a new 06 Wrangler Unlimited in a few weeks. She really enjoyed my last Jeep. I might pay the difference, and get it in Rubicon trim. The X is MUCH more refined, gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable, more room, blah blah. We all own one because they are such outstanding vehicles. Great daily driver, but dontcha think "some" of these benefits come at some cost? You can't have your cake and it it too.

I enjoy trail riding, and I'm not a snob with either vehicle. But for those who doubt how well a Wrangler does, I hope to see some of you on the trails. My buddy thinks his old Range Rover (Jeep clone) is the best thing to ever hit the dirt. You'll be welcome to join us. Prove us both wrong. laugh

#212763 - 10/11/05 06:21 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2manytoyz:
Quote:
My coworker (soft-core jeep nut) claims his son's stock Wrangler X would run circles around my 4x4 OR off road......
So... take him up on it. Lots of talk on these forums. Be one that'll take someone up on a challenge....
2manytoyz just couldn't let sleeping dogs lie.

Sorry, but a stock TJ with 29" tires Won't present much of a challenge for an Xterra OR unless he finds a spot that favors the SWB.

Like we've hashed out 1000X over on this thread, A good rig is a built rig. 2manytoyz is the only one on this board that won't admit that a D30/35 combo is crap. Anybody who doesn't believe me is welcome to head over to their local Jeep board and pull up all the threads where they break.

Hey 2manytoyz. You can stop the the Jeep whorin' already. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BTW, I learned on IFS...

#212764 - 10/11/05 07:28 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

...and Jeff is the only one who apparently can't read.

The Rubicon comes with what axles? You make it sound like there's no choice, a Wrangler comes with Dana 30/35s, and there's no other choice.

Any Wrangler can be purchased with Dana 44s, lockers, etc., RIGHT FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

Jeff, you know not of what you speak. Go lurking on any Jeep forum and see what the compaints actually are. You won't find many complaining about axles or steering boxes, as you so think. Yes, I participated on those boards too. Same handle, look it up.

I'd LOVE to have an H1 play follow the leader. We'll see how one of those fat pigs does in the soft muddy stuff here in FL. It's only 7000 lbs heavier than a Wrangler. That's probably why I've NEVER seen one off-road here.

Yea, you're probably right. Who needs front lockers and gobs of articulation. Those things mean nothing off-road. Neither does being much more mud and waterproof.

Jeff, I enjoy both vehicles. You're too narrow minded to accept your vehicle has any flaws, or lacks some ability. When you get a little older and wiser, you'll come to realize nothing is perfect. And what's funny is you haven't figured out that some of us just like to watch you get spooled up. [Huh?] :p

See no Jeep, Hear no Jeep, speak no Jeep. Can't hear facts, La La La, not listening, La la la. laugh

#212765 - 10/11/05 09:26 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Be glad he didn't get the "off-road" version, or he'd show up in Rubicon trim, and eat your lunch. Yes, those come with factor lockers, front and back.
Yeah.. I was talking about a specific stock Wrangler X sans locker... Not a Rubi, and not modified.. Sorry you missed that part? (I consider the picture of your toys as 'modified' due to the lack of toy body, and it's hard to tell what's going on with the frame on your solid axle toy example).. Considering SAS and other mods, once you start modifying, a rig is a rig, IMHO. I meant no offense to Jeeps, they have great potential.

There wasn't really a challenge involved.. the guy was just stating his opinion. Of course I'd take the opportunity to run trails with him and we'd both probably learn a lot.

My real opinion about the topic:
DRIVE WHAT YOU WANT! <-- Maybe you missed that part, too?

Edit: So far, in your last few posts, you've replaced a Wrangler X with a Rubicon or better, and looks like you swapped Jeff's H1 with an H2, as well? You say 'H1', but you show 'H2'? -- just asking. smile (No offense intended -- it's just frustrating when people try to change what someone posted.)

#212766 - 10/11/05 10:24 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ssshhhhh, i hear KMOVING lurking somewhere. "im better than you, and if you dont believe me come find out" said in dumb voice.

#212767 - 10/11/05 11:02 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
........Jeff, you know not of what you speak. Go lurking on any Jeep forum and see what the compaints actually are. You won't find many complaining about axles or steering boxes, as you so think.....
Sorry again, bud.

You are the one who has posted pics of dirt roads. So keep yer dirt roads and mud pits. if you want to talk smack, I recommend that you come out here and do it near some obstacles.

Not only am I on the Jeep boards, I wheel with those guys. The built guys will tell you the same thing about your silly little Rubi.

[Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [LOL]

So come out to CO. We aren't into your little pissing contest. Hell, we'll even help ya out....

Rubis are nice. But a stock Rubi or Xterra just isn't a good choice for a hardcore trail. The Xterra is a better vehicle IMO for the moderately difficult trails a stocker is likely to hit.

#212768 - 10/11/05 11:17 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
and I can take my mini van anyplace you can take your 4x4. Driver skill man.

"I don't care"

#212769 - 10/11/05 07:43 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
I'd have to say a pre 90 Range Rover, modded they kick arse. Coming from a family of Jeep owners, except myself, these things in stock form will always outperform an stock X. Add lockers to both and the Jeep will still go farther. SAS and the Jeep will still go farther (tire size limitations on the X, and axle limitation). Warranty running out on both and the X will go farther. laugh

#212770 - 10/11/05 08:00 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

""Yes, the X was offered as a diesel 4 banger but not here, in Australia. There was no turbo 4 banger or V6, however 2002 and up were available with a supercharger. Mileage with a supercharger drops about 2 mpgs from stock regular. ""

Has anyone in the US done a conversion to diesel that you know of? I have had some problems with non-us engine swaps is the past...ie steering is rhd which could cause swaps to be impossible, do you know if it is a strait swap? Im going to assume the supercharger can simply bolt on to any other V6(the engine model hasnt changed thru the production line)

The search feature was down when I tried...it now works for me...so I will be using it more frequently...

but since you seem informed....do you know if there are any sources for factory manuals(repair not the kind that show you how to roll down the window) available online(pdf version)...or is dealer only for the big book?

#212771 - 11/11/05 05:32 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by southernx7:
I'd have to say a pre 90 Range Rover, modded they kick arse. Coming from a family of Jeep owners, except myself, these things in stock form will always outperform......
None of that is true.

A Jeep with its stock 29's will have trouble following an Xterra with its 32s.

Quote:
Originally posted by balsaaaq:
......Has anyone in the US done a conversion to diesel that you know of?......
It's been done on Pathys, but I haven't seen it on an X. It's pricey.

#212772 - 11/11/05 06:40 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Come on, Jeff...

Quote:
A Jeep with its stock 29's will have trouble following an Xterra with its 32s.
Since when does tire size make that big a difference? Once you air 'em down, they're both only gonna' have a couple inches of rubber around the rim, anyways... Tread design makes a huge difference, so a stock X w/ BFG's A/T's will have better traction than a stock TJ with street radials. But that advantage swings back to the TJ Rubicon edition, w/ MT/R's.

In stock form, in my experience, it's an even match between a TJ & an Xterra. The X is slightly better on hill climbs, w/ it's slightly longer wheel base. The TJ is slightly better in the rocks, w/ it's shorter wheel base and solid front axle. But in reality, it's almost a wash, because a stock TJ can't do anything in the rocks that the IFS limits the stock X. And the stock X can't go up any more extreme an angle hill climb than a stock TJ. That's because they're BOTH stock.

Once modded vehicles come into the mix, it's a whole different ball game. But we shouldn't try to compare those, as build-ups can vary EXTREMELY between owners/builders. A good fabricator can make EITHER rig be as extreme as he/she wants. Nothing limits either, except time and $$. With enough of both, anything can be accomplished on either rig, to make them equally as capable, anywhere. True, you'll see a lot more highly modified TJ's (and jeeps for that matter) in the wilderness, 'cause they've been around longer, and they're a hella' lot cheaper, and more available. That DOESN'T mean an X can't be built up to the extreme; it just means there are less # of owners that are willing to do so.

#212773 - 11/11/05 05:07 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Southernx7 Offline

Really, it's a mute point. We love our trucks but I'm not going to admit that they are better than a Jeep. That would be absurd, commonsense won't let me. Will our trucks do better than most suv's? yes. Will the heavily modded ones keep up with a lot of Jeeps? Sure. But they will never be better than a Jeep. One of the things we have going for us is reliability on our trucks, they sure as Hell don't have that.

#212774 - 11/11/05 05:09 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Southernx7 Offline

Jeff. It is true a pre 90 Range Rover does kick ass.

#212775 - 13/11/05 06:10 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah.. I was talking about a specific stock Wrangler X sans locker... Not a Rubi, and not modified.. Sorry you missed that part?
No, I didn't miss it, I said just be glad he doesn't show up the the "off-road" version of the Wrangler. That's a fair statement since you have the "off-road" version of the X. Apples to apples, so to speak.

Quote:

(I consider the picture of your toys as 'modified' due to the lack of toy body, and it's hard to tell what's going on with the frame on your solid axle toy example)
It was a real simple dispay of an IFS versus a solid axle. The models are different brands, and are often compared in R/C forums. The IFS is very fast and handles great, but the solid axles on the other model allow it to articulate. Both vehicles are at their max front wheel lift, just before one of the rear tires lifts. Sorry if this was confusing. But if you don't understand the difference between what IFS is capable off-road compared to a solid axle, you will never understand that having 2" more clearance on an IFS means little since the solid axle vehicles can simple put a tire on a rock, and climb up and over it. You don't need massive tires and vehicle bodies WAY up in the air, if you can get the tires to stick, the suspension to flex, and just twist and climb over the trail.

And unlike you guys, I posted what a real STOCK Jeep can do versus a STOCK X. See my last post. Follow the links, learn about articulation. Gee, NOBODY had a comment on THAT topic??? Yes, it's hard to argue with actual numbers.

Quote:

.. Considering SAS and other mods, once you start modifying, a rig is a rig, IMHO. I meant no offense to Jeeps, they have great potential.
You're talking about a lot of money to get an X to an SAS. Since you jumped in this thread late, you probably didn't read the comments about COST VERSUS AVAILABILITY. Two niche aftermarket companies support the X, all the others, worldwide, support Jeep. Consequently, Jeep mods are cheap, readily available, and are easy DIY most times. I wish the X had this kind of support, but it never will. This is my 3rd new Nissan, and in the past 10 years, I've always been disappointed with the upgrades available.

Quote:

My real opinion about the topic:
DRIVE WHAT YOU WANT! <-- Maybe you missed that part, too?
Nope, but you did. Read ALL my posts in this thread. I've said the same thing. I've also said the X excelled at a number of things, but not everything.

Since you've hopped in late, and hijacked the thread, please allow me to post the original comment... Does anyone have real experience with either a Rubicon Wrangler or another Wrangler package AND with an Xterra so they can give a VERY accurate comparison?

Since I've owned both, and will likely own both again soon, I am qualified to respond to the original post. Are you? Or are you armchair quarterbacking it like some others? I put 32,000 on my 04 Wrangler last year. How 'bout you?

Quote:

Edit: So far, in your last few posts, you've replaced a Wrangler X with a Rubicon or better, and looks like you swapped Jeff's H1 with an H2, as well? You say 'H1', but you show 'H2'? -- just asking. smile (No offense intended -- it's just frustrating when people try to change what someone posted.)
No, I'm just screwing with Jeff. He likes taking pot shots, posting pics of Jeeps in bad situations. Read my other posts, you'll find that I shot back with other pics of Xs getting stuck and flipping over. Can happen to any of them willing to risk it.

But go back to the first post, read what he was really looking for. If you have any actual seat time in a Jeep, then speak up. Otherwise, well, it'll be taken as talking crap. wink

For Jeff, and others... you want a real comparison of the Jeep crowd versus the X crowd? Pick any of the many Jeep forums, look in their 4x4 type section, see all the 100s of threads. Come to our 4x4 forum, and read our pidly 14 threads on off-roading. frown

I love my X. I wouldn't trade it for my last Jeep, nor a new one. I look forward to having BOTH in my stable in the near future. Just don't kid yourselves into thinking the X does everything great, has no flaws, and is the best, out of the box, 4x4 there ever was, or you'll be very disappointed. [Huh?]

#212776 - 13/11/05 07:07 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm competing for the title of "Ultimate Jeep Whore"
I can see that. Bully for you.

Look at what Porsche996, Xtoolbox, Alpine and lots of other guys who actually wheel are saying.

The simple truth is that trail rigs aren't bought, they're built.

What a sandy road driver like yourself says holds no water whatsoever, IMO. If you want to talk smack, I recommend you do it in the rocks. Talking about what you've read can't compare to what others have done and seen.

I can't believe you keep reviving this ridiculous thread to repeat yourself.

The bottom line is that you don't know anything about wheeling. When you're ready to learn, CO and UT are waiting for you. wink

#212777 - 13/11/05 08:10 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The bottom line is that you don't know anything about wheeling. When you're ready to learn, CO and UT are waiting for you.
[Huh?]
Hey fruitcup, don't forget AZ!
smile

#212778 - 13/11/05 08:54 PM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, I've been to YOUR State, along with many others... California, New Mexico, Utah, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and I lived and wheeled in AZ for 3 years (Luke AFB).

You guys have it made out West. You can see the trail, it's solid, and sinking in muddy water up to your roof line isn't a real threat. Take a wrong turn here, you'll find out if your rig is waterproof. Seemingly easy puddle crossings can turn out to be a 5' deep mudpit. So, while you think FL is nothing but beach, it ain't. I've posted a picture of one of our trails (see page 7). No, a top heavy Xterra isn't going to make it down one of those muddy trails without a serious lift kit and monster tires. 1500 lbs of extra weight is fine on a hard trail like you ride on. Try that here, you'll be calling for help.

We used to have a local off-road park with a mud-bog event about once a month. The only thing resembling stock that ever made it was a Jeep. Everything else was too heavy, and even monster tires didn't help. I'll scan those pictures if ya want, but, you're still not listening... la la la!

So why don't you post some pictures of all those broken and stuck Jeeps you keep running across? Hell, as much as you hate Jeeps, there's no way you'd pass up the opportunity if it actually happened. I'm not talking about ones on other people's websites. Yes, Jeep do get stuck, but that's because their owners constantly push them to the limit. I'd just like to see a trail YOU would drive on, that a Jeep couldn't.

Again, ya don't own a Jeep. Others who've responded who did, had a VERY different view from you. So either everyone else is full of it, or it's just you.

And yes, I will likely go back to Colorado in the next year or two. In the meantime, come on down and ride our sissy trails.

And in the now famous words of Jeff himself...

Originally posted by JeffW:

Secondly, I won't disagree about your statement about jeeps being more capable out of the box, especially, Rubis.

Yes my friend, I couldn't have said it better. eek :p

#212779 - 14/11/05 06:22 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
....We used to have a local off-road park with a mud-bog event....
Sorry, bud.

Driving through mud puddles isn't wheeling. When you're ready to learn, CO, UT and AZ are waiting for you! [Finger]

Wheelin':

Whorin':

Like I said, n00b. You have plenty to learn before you can speculate...

BTW, a Sammi is lighter than a TJ. If you think that weight is the only issue to consider, go buy a Sammy!

Regardless, a properly built Jeep weighs plenty.

Request to thread starter:

Would you mind changing the name of this thread to "Jeep whorin' by somebody who has never wheeled"?

The invite is there, 2muchwhorin. Bring your D35 equipped TJ (comparably priced to Xterra) on 29's out here to CO. I guarantee that it's not as invincible as you think. [Wave]

Trail rigs are built, not bought.

#212780 - 14/11/05 09:56 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jeff, you have to go for personal insults, since you have no facts to dispute anything I've said.
Everyone else read where I've been off-roading.

I didn't have someone holding my hand, guiding me along the trail, and taking my picture. Dang, that sure looked extreme. Smooth, dry trail with some rocks. Go get 'em kiddo!

Maybe a Noob on this forum, but been places you'd only visit via the web. wink

Yep, even a Samuri will go places in the soft stuff a heavy vehicle won't. The sad part is you can get more stuff for a Samurai than you can for an X.

Oh, Pssst, Jeff... my X was $28K+... That's the cost of a new fully decked out Rubicon. We're moving into our new house next month, probably get the Jeep shortly after that. No, I'm keeping my X. But, like I said, in the meantime, come on down and take a trip with us on our sissy trails. Oh, you might have heard on TV that there's some stuff here called swamp, pay no attention to that. Oh, and with the recent rains, the trails are underwater once again, making it fun. And if you decide to get hero shots here, make sure you can swim.

But back to the main topic, yes, I've owned a Jeep and an X. Both are fantastic, both have the benefits and downsides. I will be a proud owner of both and will tout the benefits of both.

#212781 - 14/11/05 09:57 AM Re: Ok. Wrangler or Xterra?
Anonymous
Unregistered

jeff this is getting old,let it go, please stop feeding the trolls.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal