shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212862 - 24/10/03 09:41 AM Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm quite disappointed with my wife's 2003 Xterra. It is seriously underpowered and gets terrible mileage. Shoot, my 4,400-pound Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon with a LT1 V-8 in it gets better mileage than her Xterra! That's sad.

For a 3.3L V-6, I expected better, especially since it's very close to the engine used in Nissan's more prestigious vehicles. It takes serious pressure on the gas to get the car moving to roadway speeds, and that only kills the mileage even worse.

I know what you're going to say -- why didn't we get a different vehicle, especially since it's used for urban use, not for off-roading excitement??? *shrugs* Talk to her, y'all -- she wanted a friggin' Xterra, and she wouldn't take "How 'bout a sedan?" for an answer!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say: Just bitchin', I guess. Nothing I can do about it now. [Freak]

#212863 - 24/10/03 09:44 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Did you not test drive or check the MPG on the sticker?

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#212864 - 24/10/03 09:46 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Did you not test drive or check the MPG on the sticker?
...or get on XOC, before you got the X... [Crybaby]

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#212865 - 24/10/03 09:47 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
What kind of mileage are you getting? I always felt my X accelerated up to speed just fine! Have you though about a trip to the dealer to have it checked out?

Mike

#212866 - 24/10/03 09:48 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love the X. I could give a rats ass about the gas mileage.

#212867 - 24/10/03 10:02 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gas Mileage, BLAHHH

I have a Supercharged X, I barely get 17MPG, I say that is pretty good, and also It is fun to drive. With a Supercharged X, I have no pick up problems, when I have the overdrive off..

#212868 - 24/10/03 10:09 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally posted by BORX:
Gas Mileage, BLAHHH

I have a Supercharged X, I barely get 17MPG, I say that is pretty good, and also It is fun to drive. With a Supercharged X, I have no pick up problems, when I have the overdrive off..
Must be nice.

#212869 - 24/10/03 10:18 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
GrayHam Offline

You guys must be doing it wrong.

2001 V6. No S/C. Automatic.

I have never been unable to keep up with traffic. Ever. I get walked away from by Mustangs and BMWs, sure, but those guys are standing on the throttle, and there's no keeping up with them in almost any SUV . . .

Little hint: Turn off the O/D, and do not stomp on the gas. That bogs the Xterra down.

Give the throttle increasing pressure, and the engine will respond. Just don't mash it!

The Xterra is not a hot rod, but is not a sluggish pig. Learn how to drive your truck . . .

#212870 - 24/10/03 10:22 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Quote:
Gas Mileage, BLAHHH

I get 13 so [Finger]

I'm sure its because of the MT's laugh
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#212871 - 24/10/03 10:24 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Give the throttle increasing pressure, and the engine will respond. Just don't mash it!

I agree. I have a 5-speed, none SC, normal v6, 2001. When I mash the gas, it does nothing. When I gradually apply pressure, then it picks up just fine. The Xterra is easily one of the slowest vehicles I have ever driven, but its definetly manageable in SF Bay Area traffic, and I have no complaints. It is what it should be - a slow SUV.

Is your Xterra your wifes primary vehicle? does she complain about the sluggishness, or is it just you? If she doesn't complain, and it sounds like she chose the vehicle, then she should otherwise be pretty happy with it - right?

#212872 - 24/10/03 10:25 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
You guys must be doing it wrong.

2001 V6. No S/C. Automatic.

I have never been unable to keep up with traffic. Ever. I get walked away from by Mustangs and BMWs, sure, but those guys are standing on the throttle, and there's no keeping up with them in almost any SUV . . .

Little hint: Turn off the O/D, and do [b]not
stomp on the gas. That bogs the Xterra down.

The Xterra is not a hot rod, but is not a sluggish pig. Learn how to drive your truck . . .[/b]
I second that notion! I've never read so many post on MPG for the X as I have the last week or so. For crying out loud [Crybaby] , if MPG is so important avoid all SUV's period.

hey someone voted for me!! laugh My first little trucks! I hope they get better MPG [LOL]

#212873 - 24/10/03 10:37 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
XTONKA Offline

Loc: Kailua Hawaii
Quote:
Gas Mileage, BLAHHH

17 MPG? You lucky bugga. I only get 13-14 tops with ny S/C X. No whining here though. I expected to get worse mileage than I got with my 2000 X and it has remained the same. Gas prices do keep going up though. I just paid $2.23 per gallon for Super Unleaded [Crybaby]

Chaney

#212874 - 24/10/03 10:44 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
cbx Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
If you bought the truck brand new...there is always a break in period, after which you can expect your mileage to improve. Dont know how many miles are on yours now, but I've found this to be true. Give it a little time and at least your mileage will get better.
-cbx

#212875 - 24/10/03 10:48 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
daventx Offline

Loc: Midtown Houston, Texas
Take it back, get a Camry and be done with the bitching.
I love my X despite the gas and power.
Then again I didnt by an SUV to win the Gand Prix.

#212876 - 24/10/03 11:24 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
daventx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Horsepower issues - it's called a test drive
Gas mileage issues - there is a sticker on the window when you buy it. :rolleyes:

You work here? - http://tcsdesign.com/Default.htm

And this is your home page? - http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/

Scary eek
so you have top secret clearance and hang with Zakk Wilde?
Cool.

#212877 - 24/10/03 11:37 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
"...and she wouldn't take "How 'bout a sedan?" for an answer!"

I don't blame her.

Just to make you feel better, I hate my wife's car as well....but...She likes it and that is all that matters at my house. I got the X and she has the crap (my opinion)...A happy woman in one's home is worth a whole lot to some I guess.

[Wave]

#212878 - 24/10/03 11:53 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I average 15 mpg in my Xterra, and my wifes 2003 Ford Explorer (XLT 4x4, 4.0 L V6) gets 17 mpg.

[Crybaby]

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#212879 - 24/10/03 12:06 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Horsepower issues - it's called a test drive
Gas mileage issues - there is a sticker on the window when you buy it. :rolleyes:

You work here? - http://tcsdesign.com/Default.htm

And this is your home page? - http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/

Scary eek
I don't know why you think that's scary, but you're uninformed opinion is worthless to me unless you car to comment further. :rolleyes:

Fellas, believe me, I tried to get her to test drive it first, and she didn't. I don't know why. If you think you can uinderstand the female brain any better, you're welcome to give it a shot. I wish she had test driven it.

But, no, she doesn't complain. I DO!!! I still have to drive it occaisionally, even though she is the primary driver. And when I do drive it, I'm always grumbling about it's lack of power. I guess that's what happens when you're used to a Corvette engine under your hood.

Thanks for the easy throttle advice. I'll try it next time. I've never been one for mashing on the gas in any vehicle I drive, but maybe I need to baby this one even more than I'm used to when it comes to accelleration. I'll give it a try and see if I have better results. THANKS!

#212880 - 24/10/03 12:08 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by daventx:
[QUOTE]you have top secret clearance and hang with Zakk Wilde?
Cool.
Zakk Wylde. And no, it's not a secret society or anything like that. Anyone who dig's Zakk's work is an SDMF and get's to hang.

#212881 - 24/10/03 12:09 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bonesnTX:

A happy woman in one's home is worth a whole lot to some I guess.

[Wave]
True, true. laugh [ThumbsUp]

#212882 - 24/10/03 12:52 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
daventx Offline

Get the family in the Vista Cruiser and head to Wally World!

#212883 - 24/10/03 01:03 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
daven8844x Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SDMF:
I know what you're going to say -- why didn't we get a different vehicle, especially since it's used for urban use, not for off-roading excitement??? *shrugs* Talk to her, y'all -- she wanted a friggin' Xterra, and she wouldn't take "How 'bout a sedan?" for an answer!
Well if you're letting her make the decision then she should be the one on the board bitchin'. If she's happy with it then it doesn't matter.

#212884 - 24/10/03 01:16 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by SDMF:
blah blah blah If you think you can uinderstand the female brain any better, you're welcome to give it a shot blah blah blah she doesn't complain. I DO!!! I still have to drive it occaisionally, even though she is the primary driver. And when I do drive it, I'm always grumbling about it's lack of power. I guess that's what happens when you're used to a Corvette engine under your hood. [e-penis++]
Maybe you'd be better off riding in this:

#212885 - 24/10/03 01:37 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
When we bought the Xterra, we bought it for the styling, utility and ruggedness of the vehicle. If you want sportscar speed and handling, might I suggest a Nissan 350 Z. Oh, wait, I forgot, you're used to having a Corvette engine under your hood. (yeah, right) :rolleyes:

Maybe you should take her Xterra and trade it in on a Porche Cayanne. I think you'd be happier with that.

#212886 - 24/10/03 01:46 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant:
When we bought the Xterra, we bought it for the styling, utility and ruggedness of the vehicle. If you want sportscar speed and handling, might I suggest a Nissan 350 Z. Oh, wait, I forgot, you're used to having a Corvette engine under your hood. (yeah, right) :rolleyes:

Maybe you should take her Xterra and trade it in on a Porche Cayanne. I think you'd be happier with that.
I'd be happier with an Xterra, a Z, and about 10 grand in my pocket. laugh

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal