2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#212912 - 26/10/03 09:46 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk:

[b]Do owners of the Hummer or the Excursion complain about the gas milage?
Yes they do. Poor gas mileage was the number one complaint for H2 owners according to JD Power.[/b]
Well when JD Power asks you what you DONT like about your truck the things that come to mind are "I have to fill it up every 4 days". It is a hastle but we accept it but when asked what we dont like its something we dont like.

#212913 - 26/10/03 10:49 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
...I like my X, but I am not getting another one after I am done with this one. It no longer fits what I need. Since we bought the X, we have purchased a boat, and I would like to have a tad bit more power for towing it around. I also am finding I need the utility of a pick-up bed more than I need an enclosed cargo area....
Sounds like Titan is on its way... laugh

#212914 - 26/10/03 07:21 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Quote:
Originally posted by SDMF:
My wife hates my Roadmaster Wagon, and I dislike her Xterra's acceleration and gas mileage. [Smoking]
We'd love to hear from your wife on this forum!

#212915 - 26/10/03 07:54 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by XSAL:
Quote:
[b]...I like my X, but I am not getting another one after I am done with this one. It no longer fits what I need. Since we bought the X, we have purchased a boat, and I would like to have a tad bit more power for towing it around. I also am finding I need the utility of a pick-up bed more than I need an enclosed cargo area....
Sounds like Titan is on its way... laugh [/b]
I would love to get a Titan, but Fords are much cheaper. I know everyone hates Fords around here, but I had fewer problems with the Explorer I had than with my X which I replaced it with. Those new F-150's look pretty nice.

#212916 - 26/10/03 08:40 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good idea SDMF, if you wanna race your X then put a Vette engine in it and it may haul ass. Better not give Nissan that idea, they may try to get better MPG out of it by replacing the current engine with a lawn mower engine.

#212917 - 26/10/03 08:42 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the Excursion gets,what,about 10 MPG? I don't know what the hell the Hummer gets. I think they rate that one by gallons per mile. the oil companies must wet their pants knowing all the profit they'll make off Hummer owners.

#212918 - 26/10/03 09:44 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Xterra Owners Club.
This is your wife's car right?
"'Nuff said"

In response to the "does turning the O/D off actually increase acceleration" question:

The answer is yes, and not just for an Xterra, but pretty much any vehicle with an automatic tranny and overdrive. Same thing as driving in "D", as compared to "O/D". By driving with the O/D off the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before shifting gears up. OD is great for the highway when you're at a fairly constant speed as it keeps the RPM's lower and thus conserves fuel usage.

Disclaimer: I'm fairly new here so feel free to correct any of the above incorrect information.

#212919 - 26/10/03 09:47 PM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

My guess is that the people who own Hummers have very few things to complain about in life, so they picked gas mileage. No offfense to any H2 owners, I really like the "Jack" commericial.

#212920 - 27/10/03 02:56 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TXTERRA78:
Xterra Owners Club.
This is your wife's car right?
"'Nuff said"

In response to the "does turning the O/D off actually increase acceleration" question:

The answer is yes, and not just for an Xterra, but pretty much any vehicle with an automatic tranny and overdrive.
Even more than that, actually. Acceleration is aided by turning the A/C off in any vehicle, regardless of tranny; the A/C draws HP from the engine - that HP is available for acceleration when it is turned off -
Just don't open the windows instead; the air drag will cause more HP drain than the A/C at higher speeds.

Terry

#212921 - 27/10/03 04:11 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Good idea SDMF, if you wanna race your X then put a Vette engine in it and it may haul ass. Better not give Nissan that idea, they may try to get better MPG out of it by replacing the current engine with a lawn mower engine.
LOL! Yeah, I won't tell Nissan! [LOL] But I don't race, especially on streets. Too dangerous and too costly if you get caught.

#212922 - 27/10/03 04:12 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:
We'd love to hear from your wife on this forum![/QUOTE]

I highly doubt you'll see her here. She's a stay-at-home mother, so she doesn't have time to get on-line and chat. Me, on the other hand.....I get to do this at work all day when I'm not working. laugh wink

#212923 - 27/10/03 04:57 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:

I would love to get a Titan, but Fords are much cheaper. I know everyone hates Fords around here, but I had fewer problems with the Explorer I had than with my X which I replaced it with. Those new F-150's look pretty nice.
I agree. No problems with my wifes 2003 Explorer so far (knock on wood), and I too think the new F150 is sweet. If the redesigned Explorer is any indication of what the new F150 is like, Ford will have another big winner. One just has to look around to see how many 2002-2004 Ford Explorers are on the road these days.

This year I drove from Cleveland OH to NY city, and I have to say driving the Explore was a complete joy, definitely the smoothest/quitest/easy to drive SUV I've ever drove (8 1/2 hours of driving with NO back pain!). I've stated before, I hope the Titan sells well, then Ford will have to bring back those rebates/low interest rates. They were practically giving away the Explorer 3 months ago. Even back in Feburary when we bought the 2003 XLT 4x4, I had no problem getting it at invoice, top dollar for our 2001 Honda CR-V trade, $2500 cash back, free third row seat, AND 3.9% interest for 5 yr.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Xterra, but I'm glad we took the Explorer when we went to Ohio. I'm sure the Titan will be a solid truck and all, but I have a feeling they're going to want too much for it. In these days of a shaky economy and increasing layoffs, Nissan better not get too cocky when it comes to their vehicles.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#212924 - 27/10/03 05:45 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

If Gas Mileage is the problem then from investigating these forums closely and a few other sites I see that the following is reccomended by some folks to ease the gas bill:

1. The K&N Air Intake - Get rid of the restrictive old box, should set you back around $220.

2. Get a Good set of spark plugs, don't skimp.

3. Tornado Fuel Saver - Available on Ebay for $40 or $50.

This not only saves on Gas mileage but will add a little more power, then for the ultimate power gain and another increase add a less restrictive Exhaust system and you should be laughing all the way to the Gas station with 3 or 4 mpg better.

Now has anyone tried any of these mods and seen an improvement? As I plan to add these to my 2000 5 speed shortly.

#212925 - 27/10/03 06:34 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:

If Gas Mileage is the problem then from investigating these forums closely and a few other sites I see that the following is reccomended by some folks to ease the gas bill:

1. The K&N Air Intake - Get rid of the restrictive old box, should set you back around $220.

2. Get a Good set of spark plugs, don't skimp.

3. Tornado Fuel Saver - Available on Ebay for $40 or $50.

This not only saves on Gas mileage but will add a little more power, then for the ultimate power gain and another increase add a less restrictive Exhaust system and you should be laughing all the way to the Gas station with 3 or 4 mpg better.

Now has anyone tried any of these mods and seen an improvement? As I plan to add these to my 2000 5 speed shortly.
You're kidding, right?

eek

1) I've seen NO increase in mpg since installing my K&N drop in filter and modifing my air box. More responsive yes, better mileage no.

2) How will changing your already good stock plugs help (unless they're old)? I've installed iridium plugs in my truck, better starting and a smoother idle, but again no change in mpg.

3) A Tornado Fuel Saver? absolutely useless for a fuel injected motor. Big waste of money (i.e. "snake oil").

In addition, I've also installed a Gibson S.S. exhaust system, and I never get a chuckle when filling my gas tank. To make a long story short, after adding/modifing my Xterra, my truck is more responsive than it was stock, but I get the same gas mileage (average 15 - 16 mpg).

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#212926 - 27/10/03 06:52 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that Tornado Fuel Saver does not help one bit.

#212927 - 27/10/03 06:56 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by SDMF:
Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant:
[b] Oh, wait, I forgot, you're used to having a Corvette engine under your hood. (yeah, right) :rolleyes:
All 1994-1996 GM B-bodies (Chevy Caprice/Impala SS, Buick Roadmaster, or Cadillac Fleetwood) came with an option for an LT1 engine, the same engine used in Corvette for those same years. GM chose the LT1 because it adequately produced enough torque and horsepower to move the 4,000+-pound vehicles. The only real differnce between the b-body engines and the ones used in the Corvettes was that they exchanged some horsepower for torque (to get the big whales off the line a little better since they weigh more than the Vette) and the Corvette LT1 has aluminum heads. [ThumbsUp] [/b]
So you drive a road barge. Which one is it? I'm sure it gets great milage. :rolleyes:
Oh, I see from later posts that it's a Caprice station wagon. That's a great street racing machine in my book.

To each his own. You don't like the handling, milage or the horsepower. I find those attributes to be quite acceptable and suitable for the vehicle. When we want to drive fast and take the twisties, we choose a sports car. When we want to go somewhere, haul stuff, tow a trailer, go off the beaten path, etc. we take the Xterra.

I hope you and your wife don't spend too much time bashing each other's ride... that's not too healthy in a marriage.

Have a nice day. [Wave]

#212928 - 27/10/03 06:56 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by durango:
I agree that Tornado Fuel Saver does not help one bit.
Yeah, I've heard the "snake oil" rumors, too. If it were that great, it would be advertised on TV during "Freinds." laugh :rolleyes:

#212929 - 27/10/03 07:27 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant:
So you drive a road barge. Which one is it? I'm sure it gets great milage. :rolleyes:
Oh, I see from later posts that it's a Caprice station wagon. That's a great street racing machine in my book.

To each his own. You don't like the handling, milage or the horsepower. [/QUOTE]

You don't read too well. First of all, it's a Roadmaster Wagon, not a Caprice. And, as I also stated before, it gets VERY good mileage for a 4400-pound, 5.7-liter V-8. As I stated in my original post, it gets better mileage than a V-6 Xterra. I get around 24 on the highway and 20-21 in the city.

I also said I LIKED the Xterra's handling. For a high COG vehicle, it corners very well, and I'm impressed.

And, finally, I also said that I do not street race, another point you apparently missed. Anything else, or do you wish to make up more B.S. to try and bash me with? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Did you actually read this entire thread before replying, or are you one of those people that just reads the first page and then decides to jump in, assuming your ideas are the only ones that are original? :p laugh [LOL]

#212930 - 27/10/03 07:44 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Mensa Troll.

#212931 - 27/10/03 07:50 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
Mensa Troll.

Yeah, I'm having trouble with the whole quoting thing. The board I frequent only quotes what the last person said, not all the quotes they may have quoted. So when I try to clean up the posts, I end up screwing it up! [LOL] Meh, no biggie, I may waste my whole work-day on the internet, but at least I'm not paid for my performance! wink :p cool

#212932 - 27/10/03 08:48 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
1. An Xterra is shaped has aerodynamics of a doghouse. It is not sleek.

2. The Xterra has 4.63 or 4.90 gears, Not 3.70s.

3. It's a 4000 pound vehicle empty. put 4 adults and your added an easy 600 pounds to it. Then the gear and mods you can do. An easy 5000 vehicle your driving now

I am getting sick and tired up of the bitching about gas mileage! I guess you should have bought a Honda Civic.
Food for thought, I tow a small pop-up camper, I get from 12-13 MPH loaded with my family and gear and dead winds. I get 17.5 MPH with my family of 4, an automatic, misc drag options on the roof and 31s. Next year it will drop again due to pulling a small boat behind the camper. I use my X for what it is made for. One of them is not being a Honda Civic!
Dan

#212933 - 27/10/03 08:51 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by excelagator:

2. The Xterra has 4.63 or 4.90 gears, Not 3.70s.
I wish my Roadmaster had 3.73's. frown It came with 2.93's as part of the "tow package." :rolleyes: I think the X is geared a bit too high, though. 3.70's would have been a much better choice for gears, IMO. [ThumbsUp]

#212934 - 27/10/03 08:53 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
3.70 is a higher gear. 4.63 and 4.90 is much lower.

Go earn some automotive knowledge.

#212935 - 27/10/03 08:59 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
3.70 is a higher gear. 4.63 and 4.90 is much lower.

Go earn some automotive knowledge.
You're right, of course. I naturally end up saying "higher" for the higher numbers out of bad habit. I also say "turn up the air conditioning" when I mean lower the temperature. Semantics. [Smoking]

And how do you suggest I earn some automotive knowledge? confused

#212936 - 27/10/03 09:42 AM Re: Disappointed with Xterra
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by TXTERRA78:

The answer is yes, and not just for an Xterra, but pretty much any vehicle with an automatic tranny and overdrive. Same thing as driving in "D", as compared to "O/D". By driving with the O/D off the transmission allows the engine to rev higher before shifting gears up. OD is great for the highway when you're at a fairly constant speed as it keeps the RPM's lower and thus conserves fuel usage.
I'm not quite sure if turning the overdrive off changes the shift points and I'm not inclined to root through the service manual to check, but it may be the case. However, it's more the fact that by turning the overdrive off and forcing the engine to kick down to third gear vs. asking it to strain against fourth gear, you'll get better punch. Otherwise it will simply unlock the torque converter in 4th gear and while the engine will rev harder, much of the output and gas is going towards stirring the fluid in the torque converter. Eventually it will build power to the wheels, but not nearly as efficiently or as effectively as it will in third where the TC does not unlock except in a few rare conditions.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal