2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#215407 - 22/03/05 09:49 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevi1:
Silly question. This is for anybody really, regardless as to which side of the issue you come down on. Please show me where a person has a constitutional right to marriage, or a civil union, for that matter. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm seriously curious.
Here's a good layman's write-up on equal protection.

Quote:

The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits states from denying any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. See U.S. Const. amend. XIV. In other words, the laws of a state must treat an individual in the same manner as others in similar conditions and circumstances. A violation would occur, for example, if a state prohibited an individual from entering into an employment contract because he or she was a member of a particular race. The equal protection clause is not intended to provide "equality" among individuals or classes but only "equal application" of the laws. The result, therefore, of a law is not relevant so long as there is no discrimination in its application. By denying states the ability to discriminate, the equal protection clause of the Constitution is crucial to the protection of civil rights.

Generally, the question of whether the equal protection clause has been violated arises when a state grants a particular class of individuals the right to engage in activity yet denies other individuals the same right. There is no clear rule for deciding when a classification is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has dictated the application of different tests depending on the type of classification and its effect on fundamental rights. Traditionally, the Court finds a state classification constitutional if it has "a rational basis" to a "legitimate state purpose." The Supreme Court, however, has applied more stringent analysis in certain cases. It will "strictly scrutinize" a distinction when it embodies a "suspect classification." In order for a classification to be subject to strict scrutiny, it must be shown that the state law or its administration is meant to discriminate. Usually, if a purpose to discriminate is found the classification will be strictly scrutinized if it is based on race, national origin, or, in some situations, non U.S. citizenship (the suspect classes). In order for a classification to be found permissible under this test it must be proven, by the state, that there is a compelling interest to the law and that the classification is necessary to further that interest. The Court will also apply a strict scrutiny test if the classification interferes with fundamental rights such as first amendment rights, the right to privacy, or the right to travel. The Supreme Court also requires states to show more than a rational basis (though it does not apply the strictly scrutiny test) for classifications based on gender or a child's status as illegitimate.

The 14th amendment is not by its terms applicable to the federal government. Actions by the federal government, however, that classify individuals in a discriminatory manner will, under similar circumstances, violate the due process of the fifth amendment.
While there's no mention of the right to marry in the constitution, the government is offering that right to heterosexual couples but not homosexual couples. They key is whether that is justified - and I think that there is no legit reason, so not extending the same rights to homosexual couiples is an equal protection violation.

PS - here's the link to the text I quoted above: http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/equal_protection.html

#215408 - 22/03/05 09:54 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Digityzed:
[b]If you think the "if it feels good do it" mantra is what homosexuals live their lives by, then you need to get to know a homosexual person a little better before you judge.
I actually knew quite a few gays here that my wife used to work with, and actually, thier mantra was just that. We used to talk to them and hang out with them before we realized we had a moral dilemma with thier lifestyle, and promiscuity, and how we could justify it in our hearts and minds when we were trying to teach our children differently. So, you see, my opinion comes from my experience with the gay people that I have met and gotten to know.[/b]
If that's been your experience, and you're grouping an entire group of people in with that, that's pretty sad, but there's not much I can do about it. Just know that homosexuals aren't the exclusive group to that mantra.

What if one of your children comes out to you later in life? I hope you'll support them, and not dump them to the wayside as you did your friends.

#215409 - 22/03/05 10:03 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
jerseydevi1 Offline

Loc: Yorktown, VA USA
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]If you think the "if it feels good do it" mantra is what homosexuals live their lives by, then you need to get to know a homosexual person a little better before you judge.
I actually knew quite a few gays here that my wife used to work with, and actually, thier mantra was just that. We used to talk to them and hang out with them before we realized we had a moral dilemma with thier lifestyle, and promiscuity, and how we could justify it in our hearts and minds when we were trying to teach our children differently. So, you see, my opinion comes from my experience with the gay people that I have met and gotten to know.[/b]
If that's been your experience, and you're grouping an entire group of people in with that, that's pretty sad, but there's not much I can do about it. Just know that homosexuals aren't the exclusive group to that mantra.

What if one of your children comes out to you later in life? I hope you'll support them, and not dump them to the wayside as you did your friends.[/b]
Digityzed, thank you. I understand that each group has it's "bad eggs" and that the people we knew might have been some of them. And you are right, to lump and entire group together is dangerous. However, I can only go by my personal experience and value system.

As to the point of my children, I love them with all of my being, and would never turn them out for any reason. My family the reason I go to work every day, and the reason I wake up in the morning.

#215410 - 22/03/05 10:11 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
As to the point of my children, I love them with all of my being, and would never turn them out for any reason. My family the reason I go to work every day, and the reason I wake up in the morning.
As much as we (obviously) don't see eye-to-eye on many things, I admire this statement.

Who's got a tissue? wink

#215411 - 22/03/05 10:16 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
While there's no mention of the right to marry in the constitution, the government is offering that right to heterosexual couples but not homosexual couples. They key is whether that is justified - and I think that there is no legit reason, so not extending the same rights to homosexual couiples is an equal protection violation.
Would you say the same thing for those that want to have more than two people in a marriage? How about consenting siblings that want to marry?

#215412 - 22/03/05 10:25 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
Quote:
Would you say the same thing for those that want to have more than two people in a marriage? How about consenting siblings that want to marry?
A slippery slope argument? You and Thomas think alike... :rolleyes: Do you actually find such arguments compelling?

And I thought you weren't against same-sex marriage...is the truth slipping out?

In any event, the answer to your question lies in the text I quoted above.

#215413 - 22/03/05 10:28 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
jerseydevi1 Offline

Loc: Yorktown, VA USA
Quote:
Quote:
[b]As to the point of my children, I love them with all of my being, and would never turn them out for any reason. My family the reason I go to work every day, and the reason I wake up in the morning.
As much as we (obviously) don't see eye-to-eye on many things, I admire this statement.

Who's got a tissue? wink [/b]
Just don't let this go too far, I have a rep as an asshole to protect.
laugh

#215414 - 22/03/05 10:40 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
2001frontier Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
[b]
Quote:
A slippery slope argument? You and Thomas think alike... :rolleyes: Do you actually find such arguments compelling?

And I thought you weren't against same-sex marriage...is the truth slipping out?

In any event, the answer to your question lies in the text I quoted above.[/b]
No, not a slippery slope argument at all. I think these things would have to be made legal as well if gay marriage was.

#215415 - 22/03/05 11:12 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Umm, that's exactly what a "slippery slope" arguement is.. An arguement that's based on, "if this happens, then this will, then this, then this, then..."

It's like the arguement people used in KY this past november. We passed a "ban" on gay marraige this past November. A lot of people said they voted for it because, "If they make gay marraige legal, then we'd see gays walking down the street kissing...". Bullshit. I can already go to where the gays hang out in this city, and see people walking down the street kissing...

Not to mention, we 1)already had a ban against gay marraige, 2)we NEVER had any push to "legalize" gay marraige, and 3)the constitutional amendment in our state went WAY too far in its wording. I voted against the amendment for those 3 reasons.

Some legal genius got our amendment to restrict "marraige-like" rights to ANYONE that is not married, and made it illegal for gay marraige. Unfortunately, some of those "marraige-like" benefits would include un-wed couples... For instance, a guy knocks up a chick. The chick goes is in the hospital; the guy is no longer legally allowed to visit her. Why? Because they're not married. He could visit the baby, because he would be the father. But technically, he's not allowed to visit the mother. Now how assinine is that?

#215416 - 22/03/05 11:27 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
2001frontier Offline

It is very asinine. I was just saying that if you are willing to have gay marriages, you should be willing to have the others. Why shouldn't you allow the others?

#215417 - 22/03/05 04:12 PM Re: inaguaration protestors
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Doesn't KY allow common-law "marriages"? As it was explained to me, this is when a couple live together and present the image that they are married.
After speaking with a friend who is rather knowledgable of the Constitution and ammendment process, I don't think we have to worry about an ammendment coming anyway, as heated as this arguement is. I believe the last ammendment to the Constituion took around 200 years to pass. MI was the hold out. Don't quote those figures exactly - My memory sucks lately and he's an IU Hoosier.

#215418 - 23/03/05 06:11 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm fairly certain we still have "common-law" marraiges in KY, but I don't know how many years you have to be living together for it to go in effect. I believe it is 8 years, but I honestly don't know why I'm thinking that. It could be an even 10 years, or as few as 5.

Like I said; our constitutional amendment was not worded correctly, and now we have an extremely stupid law in the books, that is going to take a helluva' wake-up call for the state, to get it fixed. I don't know that it will ever be corrected, as the majority of the people in this state are not, how do you say, smart...

The thing that bothers me the most about ANY of these state "laws" or "amendments", is that the majority of people don't bother to read the whole thing, before they vote. They don't bother to think about what it actually says, or how it could be interpreted. I'm a firm believer in keeping the laws to a minimum. Other than a few places in the country, giving gays a "right" to get married hasn't even been considered. So why do ordinary people feel that all the sudden, they're going to be forced to allow it?? And to listen to the proponents of these assinine laws screaming, "The GAYS are coming! The GAYS are coming!", is just plain annoying!!! Look, the gay population is LESS THAN 1% of the population in the country. Yet for some strange reason, that's a majority of the topics of conversation, in the political world right now. Why in hell are we even talking about 1%??? Isn't there a helluva' lot more important things to talk about?

#215419 - 14/04/05 10:14 AM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband is in the military and I am happy to see so many Bush supporters around here! For those of you who have said "End this war and bring our boys home." Speaking from experience, I want to let you know that you are not "Supporting Our Troops". Yes its a dirty job but nobody can deny that somebody has to do it. The Democrats act like "Our Troops" were forced to go to war, you forget each and every one of our troops and lets not forget their families CHOSE this way of life and most of us are quite happy with our lives. Yes its hard but who's life isn't?

I feel this way because I was in the third grade during Desert Storm and the war frightened me very much (mostly because the only war stories I had heard were from my Dad in Vietnam, no worries they were very sensored.) I honestly felt very thankful that our troops were taking care of that situation so when I grew up, my friends would not have to worry about the middle east...Well, here we are again...and now I am grown up. We pulled out of there once and look where that landed us. Why exactly should we go that rout again? Besides as the most "well off" country I believe it is our duty to help free those who can't free themselves.

Thank you, I'll get off my soap box now. wink

#215420 - 14/04/05 12:14 PM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperBlackXterra:
Yes its hard, but who's life isn't?
This guy's:

#215421 - 14/04/05 12:57 PM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
Quote:
[b]Yes its hard, but who's life isn't?
This guy's:
[/b]
Right... I'm sure it's not stressful or hard at all to be a President....

Maybe in your own little mind, wilmac... Gotta' be easy to rule in that lala land; doesn't appear to be anything there.

#215422 - 18/04/05 09:50 PM Re: inaguaration protestors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Yes its hard, but who's life isn't?
This guy's:
[/b]
Right... I'm sure it's not stressful or hard at all to be a President....

Maybe in your own little mind, wilmac... Gotta' be easy to rule in that lala land; doesn't appear to be anything there.[/b]
You are wasting your time porsche996. Wilmac is a moron who would argue with a 5 year old if the opportunity arose.

Page 17 of 17 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal