shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#216320 - 24/07/03 07:38 AM Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Who all got the email from the ad company wanting permission to use pics from the club website?

They state that they do the ads for Nissan and want to do one called "Xterra Owners CLub" and have an Xterra with a laptop in the back showing pics from the websites.

Ian do they have your permission to use the name?

I know that AZXC and HXOC got one already.

#216321 - 24/07/03 10:05 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
We have been talking to the over the last month about this.

Just recently they decided to get more images than what XOC and the SWXC supplied them. That is why they have contacted the other clubs.

#216322 - 07/08/03 11:19 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
The marketing lady for Nissan contacted me today and said she now wants only "Xterra-lifesyle" type pictures with like mountain bikes, kayaks and etc shown with the Xterra in a cool background "outdoorzy" setting. Kind of like their commericals now. She said Nissan doesn't want 4-wheeling pictures because they don't want to advertise that they compare and compete with Jeep. :rolleyes: They want to leave the offroading to Jeep and the lifestyle with Xterra.

#216323 - 07/08/03 12:39 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
That's the saddest thing I have heard.

I guess I better sell my X and get a Jeep laugh

#216324 - 07/08/03 01:30 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by KCX:
She said Nissan doesn't want 4-wheeling pictures because they don't want to advertise that they compare and compete with Jeep. :rolleyes: They want to leave the offroading to Jeep and the lifestyle with Xterra.
uh?

Yeah I quess it's pretty hard to compete with this..... confused

#216325 - 07/08/03 01:50 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
She said Nissan doesn't want 4-wheeling pictures because they don't want to advertise that they compare and compete with Jeep. :rolleyes: They want to leave the offroading to Jeep and the lifestyle with Xterra.
Well then, I say fuck 'em. If they want to ignore a large part of their demographic then let them contact some Lifestyle people for pictures.

I truly hope you guys don't sell out to Nissan's whack ass marketing theory and give them only whack ass lifestyle photos.

I wouldn't expect a 4-Wheeling only commercial but c'mon - leaving it out of the picture entirely is bullshit. Like I said earlier, let 'em contact lifestyle people for their photos. They can use all the shots showing mom taking little Johnny to soccer practice.

FUCK!

#216326 - 07/08/03 03:42 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
What's funny is the current commercials (Foghorn, the Caving one, etc) show them abusing the fuck out of an Xterra, driving way too fast on rough roads, bouncing tires off the ground and whatnot.

#216327 - 07/08/03 08:37 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
....whats funny too is I have only one picture from the many of thousands of pictures from the HXOC gallery to send her with one of the members having a kayak on the top of the roof next to a river. The other 1,999 pictures?...all 4-wheeling.

I should explain to her that we are not "posers" of 4-wheeling, thats why if you show a commerical with real owners of xterra's, yes it can be soccer-moms mountain biking in the park, but also it should show others who use the truck what your other commercials advertise, we just have lifts and bigger tires! laugh

#216328 - 08/08/03 07:58 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
....whats funny too is I have only one picture from the many of thousands of pictures from the HXOC gallery to send her with one of the members having a kayak on the top of the roof next to a river. The other 1,999 pictures?...all 4-wheeling.

I should explain to her that we are not "posers" of 4-wheeling, thats why if you show a commerical with real owners of xterra's, yes it can be soccer-moms mountain biking in the park, but also it should show others who use the truck what your other commercials advertise, we just have lifts and bigger tires! laugh
Please tell me that you are not seriously considering submitting that 1 lifestyle photo to her. Just give her the middle finger.

#216329 - 08/08/03 10:20 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Well then, I say fuck 'em. If they want to ignore a large part of their demographic then let them contact some [b]Lifestyle people for pictures.

I truly hope you guys don't sell out to Nissan's whack ass marketing theory and give them only whack ass lifestyle photos.

I wouldn't expect a 4-Wheeling only commercial but c'mon - leaving it out of the picture entirely is bullshit. Like I said earlier, let 'em contact lifestyle people for their photos. They can use all the shots showing mom taking little Johnny to soccer practice.

FUCK![/b]
All I got say is
[Finger]

So since my X had a couple kayaks on top of it my lifestyle is a "whack ass" one and I'm using my X like a soccer mom? WTF?

Seriously, I understand your point and agree with it to an extent. There is absolutly no reason they shouldn't include offroading pics because it is part of our lifestyles. But to tell Nissan to fuck off instead of working with them to convince them why they should including offroading pics is just immature. Especially when they are working to promote the clubs which is something they sure hell don't have to do.

#216330 - 08/08/03 07:38 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Quote:
Please tell me that you are not seriously considering submitting that 1 [b]lifestyle photo to her. Just give her the middle finger.[/b]

#216331 - 09/08/03 08:28 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Well I guess this explains why they blew us off this year for ECXC. I guess we'll change the name to ECJeepC for next year. What a bunch of shit! mad

#216332 - 11/08/03 12:26 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
All I got say is
[Finger]

So since my X had a couple kayaks on top of it my lifestyle is a "whack ass" one and I'm using my X like a soccer mom? WTF?

Seriously, I understand your point and agree with it to an extent. There is absolutly no reason they shouldn't include offroading pics because it is part of our lifestyles. But to tell Nissan to fuck off instead of working with them to convince them why they should including offroading pics is just immature. Especially when they are working to promote the clubs which is something they sure hell don't have to do.
You have to understand that by playing by this set of rules does nothing but hinder the current Xterra 4x4 community. To say that offroading in the X is not part of the Xterra lifestyle is untrue and bullshit.

Sure, XOC welcomes all types of Xterra owners but the vast majority of it's membership is into offroad 4X4. After all, what is GOX and GoneMOAB? They're not Xterra Kayaking events. They're not Xterra mountain biking events. They're not Xterra rock climbing events. They're Xterra offroad 4X4 events promoted and staged by XOC - mainly Ian Firth. Who, as far as I know, is not an employee of Nissan.

What does that tell you? It says that there is a cult following for the Xterra and I would wager that it is comprised of at least 95% offroad 4X4 usage. You don't see Xterra "LIFESTYLE" clubs around, do you? Just Xterra offroad clubs. Hmmm.

If you reread my earlier post you will see that I never said that other extreme activites were whack. I stated that the act of bypassing a major portion of the so called Xterra lifestyle was bullshit. Take a chill and feel comfortable that I don't think kayaking is stupid.

Now, if you truly feel the need to say that your picture was in an offical Nissan television commercial then go for it. I just know that I wouldn't give them any photos. Let them take their own pictures so they could advertise and market their product how they see fit. They won't use my talent, passion or hobby to just overlook something I'm really into.

As far as trying to "educate" or "work with" them so they will include offroad images is pointless. They know exactly how popular this 4X4 thing is. Why else would they be coming to XOC for material? They know and they are deliberately thumbing their nose at you and your usage of the X. How does that make you feel?

All I know is that I don't do business with people that patronize me. But, I guess you do.

#216333 - 11/08/03 01:03 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Quote:
Quote:
[b]All I got say is
[Finger]

You have to understand that by playing by this set of rules does nothing but hinder the current Xterra 4x4 community. To say that offroading in the X is not part of the Xterra lifestyle is untrue and bullshit.

Sure, XOC welcomes all types of Xterra owners but the vast majority of it's membership is into offroad 4X4. After all, what is GOX and GoneMOAB? They're not Xterra Kayaking events. They're not Xterra mountain biking events. They're not Xterra rock climbing events. They're Xterra offroad 4X4 events promoted and staged by XOC - mainly Ian Firth. Who, as far as I know, is not an employee of Nissan.

What does that tell you? It says that there is a cult following for the Xterra and I would wager that it is comprised of at least 95% offroad 4X4 usage. You don't see Xterra "LIFESTYLE" clubs around, do you? Just Xterra offroad clubs. Hmmm.

If you reread my earlier post you will see that I never said that other extreme activites were whack. I stated that the act of bypassing a major portion of the so called Xterra lifestyle was bullshit. Take a chill and feel comfortable that I don't think kayaking is stupid.

Now, if you truly feel the need to say that your picture was in an offical Nissan television commercial then go for it. I just know that I wouldn't give them any photos. Let them take their own pictures so they could advertise and market their product how they see fit. They won't use my talent, passion or hobby to just overlook something I'm really into.

As far as trying to "educate" or "work with" them so they will include offroad images is pointless. They know exactly how popular this 4X4 thing is. Why else would they be coming to XOC for material? They know and they are deliberately thumbing their nose at you and your usage of the X. How does that make you feel?

All I know is that I don't do business with people that patronize me. But, I guess you do.[/b]
I hope you understand that I was giving you crap in the first part of my post. :rolleyes:

Like I said in my first post: There is absolutly no reason they shouldn't include offroading pics because it is part of our lifestyles. It doesn't make me feel patronized that they don't want offroading pics, but like you, I don't agree with it. Hell, I'd love for them to use my offroading pics from today.

The only reason that I do go along with it is because they are promoting the clubs. I don't know the true numbers but I'll bet that at 70% of the existing xterra owners have no clue that these clubs exist.

#216334 - 18/08/03 12:56 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
[qb]

What does that tell you? It says that there is a cult following for the Xterra and I would wager that it is comprised of at least 95% offroad 4X4 usage.
[QB]
A cult following....yes. But it's here on XOC only. Maybe 95% of XOC is into offroading, but take a look at the average driver of an Xterra on the highway or wherever. To me, they appear to be regular people who want to drive a stylish SUV and probably have no clue how to even shift into 4-hi. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Ou of all of the Xterra's in my neighborhood, I know of maybe one other guy who leaves the pavement. A lot of people I see driving Xterra lately are the Britney wanna-be college age chicks. Not there's anything wrong with that either. laugh

Nissan is promoting the coolness factor of the Xterra and it shows by looking at the "typical" driver.

#216335 - 18/08/03 02:25 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Cygnus-X1:
...To me, they appear to be regular people who want to drive a stylish SUV and probably have no clue how to even shift into 4-hi. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Ou of all of the Xterra's in my neighborhood, I know of maybe one other guy who leaves the pavement. A lot of people I see driving Xterra lately are the Britney wanna-be college age chicks. Not there's anything wrong with that either. laugh
"College age chick" at work did not even know if her X was 4WD or 2WD. eek

She thought it was a 2001(she bought it then). Had to explain to her that it was a 2002 because it had round headlights. laugh

Edited to add:
Had to show her video stills photos of my X in the Nissan Shift TV commercials. laugh

Seems my X has been the inspiration for her an two other people at work to buy a X(the two others have 4WD). Only one of the three total has gone out with SCCX. frown

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#216336 - 19/08/03 10:29 AM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
therob Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
One of the girls I work with just bought a 02 because she liked mine. I was telling her about XOC and GOX and stuff and she looked at me like I had just told her I was in to dungons and dragons. She loves her X but chances are she will not take in off pavement. Interest in Xterras is on the decline... Not for must of us, but for most people who drive an Xterra its just a car. Nissan is selling Xterras like hotcakes but to kids and women (IMO). They need the advertising to be directed toward people who wanna look cool, not drive over rocks.

#216337 - 19/08/03 12:14 PM Re: Xterra Owners Club Commercial ??
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Quote:
[QB I would wager that it is comprised of at least 95% offroad 4X4 usage.[QB]
I think is time for a poll to see how many on here actually go off-roading on a regular basis.

I have only done some very minor off-roading with my X (logging roads and construction sites). I bought my X because I needed 4X4 to get to work in the winter (at the time I was working for a city and had to plow streets and often left before any plows had been out) and because it was the most affordable and coolest looking SUV out at the time.

It gets a little tiring to here some on here who think that the X is only for people who take their Xterra's off road and those who don't are poser's.

(the only poser's are those that have 4X2 X's...or is that 2X4??) :p

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal