2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#229084 - 09/10/03 01:08 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben E Gas:
On the issue of Brush Guards:

I think they look damn cool. Well, some of them do, anyway. The one on my truck makes the truck look better. I guess it's personal preference. Then again, I don't do major offroading like you folks, so if I did, I may change my mind.
we are not talking "major" anything... if you get in a 5mph fender bender... the brush gaurd 9/10 times will caus emuch more damage to your vehicle than would have happened without it

#229085 - 09/10/03 01:30 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Brush guards look ok. They look alot better on the Xterra than some other suvs.

I've read different opinions on the brushguards but I've also seen alot of owners with them in the pictures, GOX and regional club sections so they seem to think they are ok.

#229086 - 09/10/03 01:35 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Ben e gas,

#229087 - 09/10/03 01:37 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
quote:
why? what's wrong with that?
Go look at the rest of the pictures.
Going 'wheeling' on the side of a road just gives SUV and truck owners a bad name.[/b]
I saw the pictures. Unless you can explain to me what you think is wrong with them, then I can't agree. It looks like he's just having fun.[/b]
It's an issue of responsible off-roading. Off-roading in construction zones, on private property (without permission), in environmentally sensitive areas, or just on the side of the road "cause its there" are generally considered poor form.

Generally, off-roading should be limited to controlled OHV's, private land (with permission), or similar.

OK, that's understandable, but do we know for sure that the picture wasn't taken from Mr. Jim's property?

If its his own property, then I suppose its "ok". However, the greenies will still object to ramming into trees with an airborn SUV.

Land abuse is what gets public lands closed.

#229088 - 09/10/03 01:41 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
we are not talking "major" anything... if you get in a 5mph fender bender... the brush gaurd 9/10 times will caus emuch more damage to your vehicle than would have happened without it
Or if someone "taps" you in a parking lot, the brushguard could wiggle over and do some damage to your: hood, grill, bumper, and fenders.

There is a story here somewhere about a guy who was off-roading in the snow and he ran into a rock that was about knee high. Normally, the rock would have dented his bumper. But this guy had a brushguard and so the forces of the crash were transfered to his hood, grill, and fenders. One of his fenders was damaged so much, that he even had trouble opening his driver door.

Damage with brushguard:
new hood, new fenders, new grill, fix door, brushguard brokem

potential damage without brushguard:
dent in bumper.

Do the math on what his repair bill was WITH the brushguard and compare with what his repair bill could have been without a brushguard.

#229089 - 09/10/03 01:43 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
KJ_dragon Offline

Pics of sample brushguard damage:

#229090 - 09/10/03 02:27 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

what did that guy hit anyway?

I see your points. That last pic with the blue X looks all too familiar to my truck. Except, mine isn't damaged. Scares me a little, but I'm not going to take the brush guards off at this point.

I had thought I'd be a little more protected in small fender benders, since the plastic grill on the X seems like I could rip it off with my hand. But I'll take your word for it that the brush guards don't help in those situations.

Pasadenax, the last pic you posted didn't show up.

#229091 - 09/10/03 02:38 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

can't find the other pic but here's 1/2 of the duo from your hometown! wink

#229092 - 09/10/03 03:03 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

is that the lady from Sat. night live? she's from my town?

#229093 - 09/10/03 03:42 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
I'm curious how does one get themself in that predicament on the first page. Usually the front will sink faster that the front. Was he going in reverse and what the hell terrain is he driving on for it to sink that deep. It doesn't look like mud to me.
Take another look at that pic. It also threw me off until I saw the video. His front is pointing up not becasue he's sunk, but becasue he's in the middle of a jump. The 4Runner in the background is probably a good 10 feet below from where the photographer was standing. Like I said, at first it totally looked burried to me too. smile

#229094 - 09/10/03 05:26 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I like how his website has how-to's for all the mods and maintenance he's done.

But I'm a member of Tread Lightly and shit like this pisses me off.

This is the second time on this trip that it happened apparently, the other picture was just too big to put on.

Note to Mr.Jim, if you stay on the trails you don't have to look like a dumb ass getting stuck and pulled out of trees, twice.

Xterra101.com

#229095 - 09/10/03 07:16 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Mr. Jim, your a tool for putting your name on your licence plate and your a stupid fuck for doing shit like that. [LOL]

#229096 - 09/10/03 07:28 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
How can you take someone seriously who utters, "Holy Shitorama" ??
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#229097 - 10/10/03 01:43 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Yeah this guy's a lousy driver...definitly...I enjoyed laughing at his stucks and all the damage he takes because of his driving skill (or lack thereof).

Still.... funny to me that some people on this board will think it's perfectly fine to drive up and down a creek, to try out thier snorkles so they can take cool pictures and what-not, but the same people will jump all over some dude for driving his truck through a mud puddle on the side of the road.

DKX01

#229098 - 10/10/03 07:56 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by DKX01:
Still.... funny to me that some people on this board will think it's perfectly fine to drive up and down a creek, to try out thier snorkles so they can take cool pictures and what-not, but the same people will jump all over some dude for driving his truck through a mud puddle on the side of the road.
The creek is a designated trail.
The side of the road is not.

#229099 - 10/10/03 08:22 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DKX01:
Yeah this guy's a lousy driver...definitly...I enjoyed laughing at his stucks and all the damage he takes because of his driving skill (or lack thereof).

Still, a good point. A stream is a stream and a mud puddle is just a mud puddle.

#229100 - 10/10/03 10:12 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
KJ_dragon Offline

Quote:
Still, a good point. A stream is a stream and a mud puddle is just a mud puddle.
If a mud puddle or stream is part of a trail at an OHV, then its ok. If someone has to wander off a designated trail to find a stream or puddle (just so they can play in it), then that is not ok.

#229101 - 10/10/03 10:46 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by seamonkey:
I'm sure thats ok though, since he has a 'square headlight' Xterra. Round headlights and brushguards are against the law in XOCville. :p

#229102 - 14/10/03 09:51 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
Anyone else notice the Mr Jim vs. Xterra page? I'm confused? How'd we do?
MV

#229103 - 14/10/03 10:13 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
Pics of sample brushguard damage:

Hit Ice and had the choice of driving off a 200 foot cliff or slide into a rockface, He hit it doing 15 mph..dammage aboot $1500, Bush guards are Moron Bling, Mr Jim is the King of Morons...sad to see he lives in WA

#229104 - 15/10/03 08:59 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
From the Mr. Jim site:
As we heading for the hill side, she was saying, "No, no, no" and as soon as we left the ground she said, "Son of a B!%ch".
If I ever meet this guy I will beat the shit out of him. Granted, she's stupid for getting in the truck with him... but it's just like sex... when the woman says NO - you STOP!!! (and then finish up on your own smile )

#229105 - 15/10/03 09:49 AM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to say, despite that damage, I love how my truck looks with the brush guards on.

Also, thank god they changed from square headlights to round headlights. The round look so much better.

#229106 - 15/10/03 01:18 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Granted, she's stupid for getting in the truck with him... but it's just like sex... when the woman says NO - you STOP!!! (and then finish up on your own smile
Where the hell did that come from?! Man, you've got issues...

#229107 - 15/10/03 03:35 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
R&R LOPEZ Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs (Security)
Here are couple more pictures of brush guard damage

Or go here to view in the orginal size
click here

FEAR NO ONE
RESPECT ALL

Life is but a Dream, Live it to its fullest!!!

#229108 - 15/10/03 05:00 PM Re: Seen Mr. Jim yet?
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
that accident happend just outside our battery, i heard the bang from my closed office window. no one hurt but pissed, the guy in the X came around the corner and some moron was speeding in a blind parking lot, oh well shit happens. as for these morons they give us all a bad name. im known to hit water puddles but to blatently do stupid stuff, no excuse. stupidity? yes. bad press? yes. fun to laugh at? yes.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal