2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#230281 - 10/04/04 07:20 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx:
So, not that anyone cares, but here's my prediction: no matter what or how it happened on the rollover, they're gonna get buttreamed here by a bunch of armchair 'wheelers. Am I right?
It was simply a bad line and no spotter.

The driver is ok. The truck was upside down for 2 hours and refused to start when righted. I took a small group back up Gold Bar Rim to Golden Spike the next day with my tech from Tynan's Nissan, and he got it running in 2 hours. It was then driven back to town by the owner.

If anyone does any armchair wheeling about the incident, I will ban their account.

Things are going to change drastically for all future events that I host. There were a lot of things I was not happy with this year (and last year and the year before, plus 4 GOX events), and it has to stop.

Someone is eventually going to die at one of my events, and I will not be part of that. I either stop doing them, or the rules change.

#230282 - 10/04/04 07:25 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

johnnyx, a person here may bust my balls for this but I said it once and I will say it again this whole "enviroment" reminds me of the Army. I say this because I feel my "six" is covered. One moment some one is giving you shit, and the next they are buying a beer for you, your rig gets busted on the trail and and a person you may or may not know gives you the part and helps you fix it.

I sound like some emotional person (being politicaly correct) but its true, I look forward to my next adventure with these guys/ladies. [ThumbsUp]

#230283 - 10/04/04 07:31 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
I stopped in Grand Junction and took a picture of the "chop top Xterra" most likely the last time any of us will see this guy. Not going to post this photo. I will send it to the owner in time.

Nice job taking an Xterra on Potato Hill, anyone care to guess who accomplished this feat....

I had a good time this year. Lots to wheeling.

Big Hair Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#230284 - 10/04/04 08:31 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
MaloCS Offline

Great week. My wife and I had a great time in Moab.

Met some new people and squashed some old beefs with a fellow XOCer who I'm proud to now call a friend. All is well. [ThumbsUp]

Our prayers go out to the rollover owner and a big [ThumbsUp] to da man that got up Potato Salad Hill.

See ya guys next year. smile

#230285 - 10/04/04 08:40 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Just rolled up in PHX. Wanted to say thanks to anyone who watched my dog, spotted me, or made breakfast... Ya'll know who you are laugh This was a great trip and the wheelin' was as good as it gets! Except for possibly that damned Lions Back eek

PS- ALL HAIL HUSTLER!
NISSAN. CLIMB.

#230286 - 10/04/04 09:18 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Hey, Just rolled up in PHX. Wanted to say thanks to anyone who watched my dog, spotted me, or made breakfast... Ya'll know who you are laugh This was a great trip and the wheelin' was as good as it gets! Except for possibly that damned Lions Back eek

PS- ALL HAIL HUSTLER!
NISSAN. CLIMB.
Is it still the worst $10 you ever spent? laugh

#230287 - 10/04/04 10:27 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

10 bucks on lion back is only worth it if you go up alone the mind trip turning around is worth it. Ian is it still snowing in Denver? Airborne its the same pic I showed you on hells revenge.
Alone on lions back
Going back down

#230288 - 10/04/04 11:04 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
XOC Offline
Admin

The snow has been on and off. We left Moab at noon, and in Grand Junction a sign said "Chains required for single drive axle vehicles 155 miles ahead". We had a bit of rain and light snow, but nothing was sticking all the way home. Eric called and said he was in a blizzard at Vail Pass about 8PM, and Vince got snow near Georgetown.

#230289 - 11/04/04 12:39 AM Re: You should of "GONE"
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Forks Xterra:
10 bucks on lion back is only worth it if you go up alone the mind trip turning around is worth it.
Bravo, Your trip up Lion's Back was very ballsy for someone that hadn't been there before.

Nice Signature. smile

#230290 - 11/04/04 01:38 AM Re: You should of "GONE"
Aero Steve Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
It was simply a bad line and no spotter.
Part of this is to Ian and the rest to the peanut gallery.

I agree with the bad line, but totally disagree with the spotter comment. Any driver out there should recognize his limitations and ASK for a spotter if he thinks he needs it. Having a spotter on an obstacle for EVERY driver is a waste of time and not necessary for a good number of drivers.

Ian, you take too much responsibility for yourself. The ultimate responsiblity rests with the driver of the truck. Anyone should feel they are able to ask for a spot if they think they need it. Two of us had already gone up which should have established A line that worked. The driver can still do what HE wants. I do and will continue to ask for spots if I think I need it. You shouldn't be holding their hands every time the trail gets tough. Last year you hammered on about everyone needing to be able to spot themselves over stuff.

The driver must recognize their ability and they have to take in account the terrain thet are in. That's a tough one. The driver has to be honest with himself about his abilities. I've seen too many people that think all problems can be solved with a little more skinny pedal. Moab and this obstacle in particular is something some drivers may have no experience on and they should ask themselves if they are capable of doing it.

I did appreciate the spotting on some of the downhill ledges, but there were a couple of times where I didn't think I needed a spot, but you were there anyway. I was real interested in trying the left line down the big drop on Steelbender, but didn't to avoid holding up the line. I only did the gulley because there was time to fuck around, otherwise I would have been right up the hill behind you.

Lastly rollovers happen. I've seen it from being stupid, badlines and bad luck. My club has the "wall of shame" of all the hoods of trucks that rolled with their driver's name, location and date. Everyone has to prepared to deal with it. What do you do if there are trapped casualties? I don't know dick about treating the trauma that could result, but one simple thing I do is pay for a cell phone that gets very wide coverage for calling for a medevac. No digital only single band crap for me.

#230291 - 11/04/04 07:25 AM Re: You should of "GONE"
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Just learned who it was. Yup, an X owner. He's OK, X is a loss and isn't coming back home w/ him.
Shit that sucks about his X,but I'm glad he's ok..

#230292 - 11/04/04 05:19 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian;
Don't get discouraged by the rollover. Sometimes shit happens. The driving knowledge you taught me at GONEMoab turned obstacles that I saw as road blocks into passable roads. I would have never dropped off that 2.5 ft step on Steelbender.

Thank You!!

Eric

Now for some RMXC trips.

#230293 - 11/04/04 05:25 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

The pic's I took of the week are coming up at There still rough but resized. I should have all of them up in a hour or so and they are filed by the run they were taken on.

Moab pictures

#230294 - 11/04/04 07:00 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
I have video of the rollover online, but after reading this, I'll wait for his ok before posting it. I had a great time this week - thanks Ian for all the help you gave everyone over the week.

-Tim

#230295 - 11/04/04 07:15 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
XOC Offline
Admin

Grand Forks, you need to compress those images. 250k for a 640x480 shot is about 10 times the filesize it could be. Good stuff though, keep them coming.

#230296 - 11/04/04 08:06 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Playing with a program to compress the images right now. Thanks for letting me stay at your place fri night and for the help on the trails. By the way the parrot was still friendly and actually climbed onto my hand and I still have all my fingers and no blood was shed.

#230297 - 12/04/04 05:51 AM Re: You should of "GONE"
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Forks Xterra:
The pic's I took of the week are coming up at There still rough but resized. I should have all of them up in a hour or so and they are filed by the run they were taken on.

Moab pictures
Awesome pics man...I saved many of them... [ThumbsUp]

#230298 - 12/04/04 10:49 AM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok all pics are up and sorted
Fins and Things
Steel Bender
Hells Revenge
Poison Spyder Mesa
7 mile
Lions Back

If anyone wants a full size version just shout.

#230299 - 12/04/04 12:29 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Quote:
Originally posted by tcdesign:
I have video of the rollover online, but after reading this, I'll wait for his ok before posting it. I had a great time this week - thanks Ian for all the help you gave everyone over the week.

-Tim
I thought no one was supposed to post pics of the rollover until the owner could tell the story?

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#230300 - 12/04/04 12:46 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
I haven't posted the video to any boards - I just have it digitized. It was on my website last night, but I deleted it this morning. I have it ready to upload again, but am waiting for Jorge to give the ok before I post the link to it here.

#230301 - 12/04/04 02:16 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Is that maroon truck a Titan? Or did someone get an 05 Frontier?

#230302 - 12/04/04 02:34 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Aero Steve Offline

It's a Titan. The only 05 Frontier we saw was a mock up made of fiberglass without a drivetrain.

#230303 - 12/04/04 02:37 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
How did the Titan do? Just fine I assume?

#230304 - 12/04/04 02:56 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Aero Steve Offline

In stock form it was a little long and low. The breakover angle sucked big time. This was a crew cab version and I suggested they try a king cab or standard cab next year. A little lift would have been a big help also. The biggest problem it had was getting high centered.

#230305 - 12/04/04 03:51 PM Re: You should of "GONE"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to say Thank you to everyone for allowing me and my lowly Lemondrop (Toyota) to follow you guys along on the trail.

You guys were great, as usual, again this year. Welcoming myself and my father like family was awesome. This was his first time rock crawling/four wheeling, and he said he'd never met a nicer group of guys.

Who else would spend that much time out of their fun trip to go back and 'Get one of their own'? Not many Jeepers that I've met, that's for sure.

Looking forwards to next year already. Definately the whole week. That is, if you don't mind the Lemondrop following along (perhaps at a distance? laugh )...

Allen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal