shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232801 - 10/01/06 09:29 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
That's why if you're carrying a load that sticks out the back, you're supposed to put a red flag on it; to warn drivers behind you that there is something else that's the true rear of the vehicle, and not the bumper. And it's a visual warning, that moves, and grabs your attention.
I seriously thought you were joking when I read your first post. I've gotta agree with everyone else, if your head is too far up your ass that you get that close, the problem is you, not the hitch.

Quote:

Not to mention, whenever asshats have the ball on their hitch, and you try to parallel park behind them, there's either not enough space, 'cause they're hanging over into the spot behind them w/ their hitch, or you don't see it until the last second, and you accidently smack into it.
You either have to have your eyes checked, your actually pay attention. Or do you forget so quickly that as soon as the hitch is out of your line of sight, you forget about it? I parallel park almost daily for one thing or another, and have never hit somebody's hitch. I notice it before I pull into the spot, and don't get close enought to hit it. Maybe I'm better at parallel parking, maybe I'm better at judging distances, maybe a have a better memory, but more likely I just don't have my head up my ass.

Quote:

Or, because the asshat can't see the hitch behind them, they forget when they're backing out of said parking space, and slide the ball right onto the person behind 'em. And don't realize what they've done so they pull off.

Or when an asshat leaves a ball on, and they pull into a regular parking space, but they're overhanging into the driving lane 'cause they don't realize they've still got some jiggly hanging over.

Or when you're driving in city traffic, and the asshat in front of you pulls out in front of you, because they *think* they have enough space; not realizing they're shit is hanging back a good bit behind their bumper. But they're too damn stupid to remember and/or think about it.
Then the problem is not the fact that they have their hitch on there, the problem is that they were too dumb to remember it.

Now, all that said, I think it's dumb to leave the ball hitch on in at least 90% of the cases. I see only 2 reasons to: 1) You tow a lot, and you don't feel like taking it on and off, and 2) Most frequently, because people think it looks cool, like the people that lift their trucks but never take them off pavement. I can understand why this might be a pet peeve, but if it's the other car that does something stupid, you don't have to blame the guy with the hitch. If the guy with the hitch just happens to be a dumbass, he's gonna be a dumbass whether or not he has a hitch. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the car was the dumbass, not the guy with the hitch.

#232802 - 10/01/06 09:32 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pfft when I had a hitch and it was snowing and icey I made sure it was on.... if some dip shit is following me too close I am gonna fuck his car up. I even hit my brakes hard at times just to scare em off [Finger] .

And now I have even more steel back there!!!!!! AHAHAHAHHHAHHHAHAHHHAAAAAA I am gonna fuck some stupid retards vehicle up for following to close!!!! ***

*** This Xterras bumper is tested and proven to stop another vehicle without damage to said Xterra... and very serious damage to anyone who hits it.

#232803 - 10/01/06 10:15 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
You either have to have your eyes checked, your actually pay attention. Or do you forget so quickly that as soon as the hitch is out of your line of sight, you forget about it? I parallel park almost daily for one thing or another, and have never hit somebody's hitch. I notice it before I pull into the spot, and don't get close enought to hit it. Maybe I'm better at parallel parking, maybe I'm better at judging distances, maybe a have a better memory, but more likely I just don't have my head up my ass.
Let me explain a few things to you... I commute every day on a motorcycle. I parallel park my motorcycle in a spot that is ONLY wide enough for a motorcycle, as that's what it's intended for.

Whenever an jerk parks in the spot directly in front of this, and has a ball hitch attached, that extra 8" into the motorcycle space ELIMINATES the space for being useable. AKA, I have to now walk 6 blocks to work, because the ONLY motorcycle parking space anywhere nearby my work is now useless because a jerk was too lazy to take off his hitch.

The other situation is this. When my bike is parked, and a jerk parks in the space in front of my bike, and happens to have a ball-hitch on their truck, my bike is now BLOCKED from being removed, until said jerk gets back into his truck and leaves. Let me tell you how appreciative I am at 5:30 in the afternoon, when I'm waiting for some jerk that parked to close to come out and move, so I can go home... A motorcycle sits on its sidestand, which means I have to tip it upright before I can drive away. Which means I have to, literally, tip it into their ball hitch. No thank you.

Evidently, there are a lot of arrogant jerks around here, that don't understand they aren't the ONLY one using the road... I don't have my head up my arse. I just don't see how screwing up the roadway for other users, is my god-given right when driving my truck. If y'all would see how OTHERS have to interact with your freaking lazy arses on a daily basis, maybe you wouldn't be so slow at taking the darn things off.

edit: I realized I was cussing way too much, so those words have been edited.

#232804 - 10/01/06 10:43 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That's why if you're carrying a load that sticks out the back, you're supposed to put a red flag on it; to warn drivers behind you that there is something else that's the true rear of the vehicle, and not the bumper. And it's a visual warning, that moves, and grabs your attention.
need ya some bumper nuts. ive seen lotsa blue balls hanging off of hitches around here. saw some the other day at work and one of the guys said, man that trucks got some balls. it was a chevy = no balls. anyway, i dont like to leave my ball mount in if im not towin. not because someone might hit it, its that fact that it might get stolen.

#232805 - 10/01/06 10:43 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have GOT to be kidding. It's 8 inches! What if the fucking car was 8" longer. There is no way you can convince me that 8 extra inches will block you in. God forbid if I was standing there with me johnson hanging out. You'd really be SOL then! [Uh Oh !]

#232806 - 10/01/06 11:01 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GoBuX:
You have GOT to be kidding. It's 8 inches! What if the fucking car was 8" longer. There is no way you can convince me that 8 extra inches will block you in. God forbid if I was standing there with me johnson hanging out. You'd really be SOL then! [Uh Oh !]
Tell you what. I'll take a picture of it the next time it happens, if I have my camera around.

A fucking dually pulled this crap on me YESTERDAY! So yeah, it DOES happen. And yeah, when the parking spot is only 3' wide, and you're taking away 22% of it by having your balls hanging out, you're damn straight it's a problem.

I doubt your dick would be a problem, though. As soft as that little limp thing is, it would easily just be bent and pushed out of the way.

[Finger]

edit:

This is the bike I own.

http://www.motorcyclejournal.net/models/triumph2001/trophy.html

Notice it's 31.1" wide, w/ the hard saddle bags. Now, let's do some math, and realize that 36" minus 8" leaves 28", which means my ass is having to walk 6 blocks, 'cause some jackass with a ball hitch just took up my space...

If his rig were 6" longer, or if he was parked differently (aka, not in their space), then I'd be bitching about people that can't park. But no, the problem is they can park, and their vehicle IS in their own space, but their balls hang over 6-8", 'cause they don't know any better.

So bite me. You don't know what you're talking about.

#232807 - 10/01/06 11:06 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
GrayHam Offline

This thread has inspired me to look into getting a hitch, with frame-stiffeners, and a ball-hitch.

#232808 - 10/01/06 11:14 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can I get a 10" long hitch? maybe 6-8" will not stick out far enough to protect my bumper from idiots that try to rearend me!

#232809 - 10/01/06 11:17 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by chrishaynesusa1:
Can I get a 10" long hitch? maybe 6-8" will not stick out far enough to protect my bumper from idiots that try to rearend me!
Yep... But any decent speed of impact, and they're still gonna' hit your rig. I've got a 10" drop ball for my truck; it sticks back about 10" or so. Not for sure, exactly how much. But it's almost at a 45 degree angle, so if it's 10" down, then it's got to be 10" back, with the ball on it.

#232810 - 10/01/06 11:17 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Porshe, just park your motorcycle in a regular parking spot, like all people do around here. Besides, I barely ever see a motorcycle parking spot anywhere.

Park like a car and you'll have no problem leaving your spot.

I don't have a hitch, or a ball on it, for that matter, but if I did then I'd leave it on.

If some asshole can't drive right and slams into me, you bet your ass his car better be fucked up. Maybe that will teach him a lesson next time to watch the road or not to follow too close.

#232811 - 10/01/06 11:27 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would love to park in a regular spot. Problem is, PARC won't let me. Regular spots are 2-hour only, w/ meters. So if I can't get my regular space, I have to park down at the baseball stadium (6 blocks away), and catch a trolley into work, or else huff it. Parking in downtown Louisville is not easy to come by during the day.

Thing is, a ball hitch offers about as much protection as a brush guard. Sure, it looks like it might do something, but all it does is cause more damage for a low impact, that may not have caused any damage in the first place. If a car hits you at speed, they're gonna' be skewered by the ball, but they'll still be smacking your arse a good bit.

#232812 - 10/01/06 11:40 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I would love to park in a regular spot. Problem is, PARC won't let me. Regular spots are 2-hour only, w/ meters. So if I can't get my regular space, I have to park down at the baseball stadium (6 blocks away), and catch a trolley into work, or else huff it.
That explains it.

I really don't see how a ball hitch would cause more damage in a slow collision (comaping it to a brush guard?). It might screw someone esle, but most likely not you. High speed, high impact collisions are a different thing. In that case you are fucked anyway so it really does not matter what you have and is irrelevant to the subject.

I see you point on why you dislike balls left on hitches, but a bit of protection on your rear end when you're driving an X is nice, you have to admit that. every little bit counts and as witnessed by the pics looks like it helped this time. The lady's car would have been fucked anyways because of not the the hitch she would have slid up under X's bumper thus screwing up the lights and possibly bending the hood. I do not agree with you sayin that those 6 inches made a difference in this case. She still would have hit.

I admit, some people are idiots when it comes to driving, parking or anything that has to do with operating a vehicle. Chances are those are the people that block you in wht the hitch ball when you ride your bike to work. It's only a matter of paying attention and being courteous to other people if you have one on.

#232813 - 10/01/06 11:42 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm glad this lady's her car was f'd up by the hitch.

She should pull her head and her cell phone out of her a$$ and start paying attention.

It all sounds innocent when bitching about scratches, a few dents, etc but if this guy was not in an Xterra but instead on a motorcycle she would have run him down completely. As it is, she barely saw a freaking Xterra in time.

I say, this should be a "lesson learned" for her. I'm sure she will sue though because of the ball hitch being left on and it's having beat the piss out of her bumper.

#232814 - 10/01/06 11:46 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Quote:
[b]I would love to park in a regular spot. Problem is, PARC won't let me. Regular spots are 2-hour only, w/ meters. So if I can't get my regular space, I have to park down at the baseball stadium (6 blocks away), and catch a trolley into work, or else huff it.
That explains it.

I really don't see how a ball hitch would cause more damage in a slow collision (comaping it to a brush guard?). It might screw someone esle, but most likely not you. High speed, high impact collisions are a different thing. In that case you are fucked anyway so it really does not matter what you have and is irrelevant to the subject.

I see you point on why you dislike balls left on hitches, but a bit of protection on your rear end when you're driving an X is nice, you have to admit that. every little bit counts and as witnessed by the pics looks like it helped this time. The lady's car would have been fucked anyways because of not the the hitch she would have slid up under X's bumper thus screwing up the lights and possibly bending the hood. I do not agree with you sayin that those 6 inches made a difference in this case. She still would have hit.

I admit, some people are idiots when it comes to driving, parking or anything that has to do with operating a vehicle. Chances are those are the people that block you in wht the hitch ball when you ride your bike to work. It's only a matter of paying attention and being courteous to other people if you have one on.[/b]
True. It "helped" the X in this instance. Whethere there would have been any damage to either vehicle w/o the ball is questionable, but yeah, she probably would have slid underneath his bumper, anyways.

It's just when I see trucks (and even some cars) w/ ball hitches mounted all the time, I get iratated. 'Cause they don't understand how that can effect others; especially when they forget that the ball is still on there.

But I'll drop it, now. 'Nuff said on this from me, already.

#232815 - 10/01/06 12:26 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think Porsche likes it when people leave their hitches in.

#232816 - 10/01/06 12:36 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GoBuX:
[LOL]

#232817 - 10/01/06 12:53 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

While this thread is off and running...

If somebody does park you in, and the hitch ball is in the way, why not just take the damn thing out? As previously stated, it only takes a few seconds.

Whether or not you decide to put in back in, leave it in the street, leave a note, etc... the problem is easily solved. No need to wait for them to return.

#232818 - 10/01/06 01:05 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know I have a hitch with a 2" ball in it and I have been hit a few times, and each time it fucks thier car up and leaves mine fine and you know what I say to that? FUCK THEM DONT HIT ME!!! Porsche I dont think anything you said is correct, How could more very durable steel protecting your truck cause more damage? Doesnt make sense. If they had ones that stuck out and up with a big orange sticker on it that says STOP ASSHOLE, then I would get that. But until then I am going to leave my hitch in, and never take it out. If I back into someone, I will take that responsibility, but until that happens tell them fuckers to stop hitting me and maybe I will remove it. There is your quest, have the idiots stop rear ending people, then maybe we would remove them.... [Finger]

#232819 - 10/01/06 02:16 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
"So what does that do? It causes insurance companies to have to pay more per accident, because some driver was too damn lazy to take off their ball. And then, since insurance companies aren't about to take a loss on something, it causes everybody's insurance rates to go up just a smidge, because some asshat was lazy.

So this little fender bender you were in now has turned into a much bigger ordeal, because you left the ball on. Most likely, considering how little damage was actually done to that car, NOTHING would have happened to either your truck or the car, if the hitch hadn't been there."
SO you think the problem is people with hitches and not people who drive like idiots. I don't see the insurance companies adding fees cause I have a hitch, but they do care how many "harmless fender benders" I've had. Does having a lift make me more more liable cause you're more likely to slide under my bumper causing damage to your hood....

Leaving my hitch in may make me a lazy asshat, but my rear is protected from people who can't pay attention to the road. As someone who drives a motorcycle I would think that should be your reason to preach.

You real issue is with your parking space, not people rear-ending hitches. Oh yeah and you're whining way to much about having to walk 6 blocks. You act like you get bad weather or something......you wouldn't be riding a motorcycle if it wasn't nice enough to walk. Quit whining you sissy bitch [Crybaby]

#232820 - 10/01/06 02:22 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Porsche, I can’t imagine what you would think if somebody with a bike hitch (w/their bike on the hitch) park next to you. I take my bike hitch off every time I’m not carrying my bikes just because it would cause significant damage to both vehicles if I were rear-ended and I don’t want anybody walking into it. I don’t see any problem with the ball hitch sticking out, but I have seen people driving around with their bike hitch on without any bikes on them. Now that is something you could bitch about!!

#232821 - 10/01/06 02:53 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
And anyway, why not remove the hitch pin and take the damn thing out rather than ripping the front of this lady's car off? I'm sure there was a less-damaging way that it could have been removed....
Gotta agree with Kaiser on this one. You probably (with instructions from the officer) tripled the amount of $$ damage by ripping the entire front end apart. What might have been a "minor" fender bender may have just turned into a large dollar accident.

Even if it wasn't your fault in all these wrecks your insurance company might use the "we know it wasn't your fault, but you're always at the wrong place at the wrong time and we're gonna drop you or raise your rates" excuse...

Anyway, yeah, she probably deserved it...but no need to make the situation worse if you didn't have to.

#232822 - 10/01/06 04:01 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah no shit, although it might sound "cool" to post something like this on the board, in actuality that was a retarded way to get get your vehicles unhooked. As previously stated unhooking your hitch wouldn't have done you any harm and might have reduced the damage that occured.

"*** This Xterras bumper is tested and proven to stop another vehicle without damage to said Xterra... and very serious damage to anyone who hits it."

Yeah it might not look like you had any damage but whens the last time you had your rig on a frame rack. Even with frame stiffeners a hitch is still a lever.

#232823 - 10/01/06 06:41 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

From personnal experience, good for you that you ripped the bumper. So many people have hit me in the hitch and thank god i had my ball on it or they might have hit the bumper. I know it sticks out, but if you too blind to notice it or even not get that close to the car, then i hope you do go into the ball. So many people dont really pay attention when they drive. But its a great wake up call when a ball goes through their bumper. The hitch is a great investement and i will always keep my ball on whenever around town because people are fools.
Also for that lady to slide and hit you hitch, thats gotta be one stupid drive to not notice a truck in front of her and brake that late. Next time she will probably look at the road and not at her shopping list when driving.

#232824 - 10/01/06 07:19 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
[b]I hate to agree with porsche on anything... but I do on this one.
Wow.

Are you running a fever?

The thing I don't get, is a hitch ball causes more damage to the vehicle in the rear, whether it's a rear-end and their fault, or whether it's a backing-up, and it's the truck's fault.

But that much damage could ALL be prevented, if just the owner of the truck wasn't so freaking lazy to take 2 seconds out of their day, and take the damn thing off.

I've been rear-ended, several times, when I used to drive a dodge dakota. Of the 3 times, not 1 of them did enough damage to my truck, that I couldn't just bend the bumper right back into shape. None of them ever caused a lot of damage to the car behind me. But if I had been an ass enough to ride around with a ball, it could have easily punched through their grill, and then through their radiator & oil cooler, and caused WAY more damage than what should have happened.

So what does that do? It causes insurance companies to have to pay more per accident, because some driver was too damn lazy to take off their ball. And then, since insurance companies aren't about to take a loss on something, it causes everybody's insurance rates to go up just a smidge, because some asshat was lazy.

So this little fender bender you were in now has turned into a much bigger ordeal, because you left the ball on. Most likely, considering how little damage was actually done to that car, NOTHING would have happened to either your truck or the car, if the hitch hadn't been there.

But congratulations. You got your big [Finger] to the person that hit you. And you got to post a thread & some pictures to show how "great" your truck & hitch are, because it completely fucked up some person's day.

2 seconds to remove a ball. For the love of god, quit being lazy and take the damn thing off.[/b]
You know what?? Any time you want to ram into some one for having a ball in their hitch then come and find me. I always have mine in there for just that reason. I live in Norfolk and we have lots of damn tunnels where 99% of the time most people don't let you merge into the lane even though they know when and where lanes need to merge or they are riding behind you so close because they want to be a dick to the guy that is trying to merge into the lane that all it will take is one hard hit of the brakes and they are going to nail you.

If it does more damage to the dumbass because he wants to be a dick to someone else by not letting them in and they hit me then so be it. I'm sorry but if you can't see a damn ball on the back of someone's truck than you need to get the f**K off of the road because you are blind as hell and shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I know that when I have a couple of people that want to tail gate me then I make sure that I can safely do a brake check to them without getting hit and then pull up enough so that they see that they will have a ball go through their radiator the next time they get to f**king close to me and I have to stop in an emergency situation.

It's all about being smart enough to maintain the 2 second rule but most people out there are just to stupid to apply it and so they hit someone. I've almost gotten t-boned by the dumbass drivers here in Norfolk that are to busy talking on their phones that they don't pay any attention to what they are doing so that's another reason that I have sliders on and welded to the frame. So if some dumbass hits me in the side it will hopefully protect the body and f**k up their ride instead. So if I have sliders and someone hits me and causes a lot of damage to their car does that make me a dumbass and a lazy f**k for not taking them off after each time that I offroad. Hell no. [Finger]

#232825 - 10/01/06 07:21 PM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
John, your way to excited about someone leaving the drawbar on their truck man. smile You tailgate me, your gonna hit my ball. Tough luck for you.
Granted I pay a price for leaving it on sometimes, its a hell of a shin bruiser!

Ramness, sorry you got nailed man but dang, tough way to get you 2 apart! Simple damage is now major.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal