shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#232776 - 09/01/06 11:35 PM Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Stopped in traffic at a light on my way to work and noticed a car coming up way to fast behind me. I moved up to give them a bit more room but she slid about 30 feet and smacked me. Went to pull over out of traffic and found that the truck would not move. Gave it a little more gas and the tires spun a little. My hitch was stuck to her car!

Got out of the truck to survey the problem and found this…

I ended up pulling her car along with me (previously she had it in park) out of traffic and the Police officer and I popped her hood see what it was hung up on. We could not see anything so I put the X in 4Low and first gear and while the officer pushed the front of her car down a bit I punched the gas.

This was the end result…

The bottom of the hitch was hooked on the metal substructure of her bumper and you can guess what happened when I gave it a good pull.

My damage… a couple more little scratches on the hitch.

This makes 3 times now I have been rear ended. Twice in the last 14 months. This one was less than a half mile from where I was hit in November 2004

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#232777 - 10/01/06 12:21 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

damn, im definitely getting a hitch...stupid drivers deserve that kind of damage to their vehicles

#232778 - 10/01/06 02:08 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
damn, im definitely getting a hitch...stupid drivers deserve that kind of damage to their vehicles
Be sure you have frame stiffeners (i.e. the factory hitch) or you'll be the one with more damage. An aftermarket hitch can act as a lever and bend your frame ends downward where the hitch is bolted on. Found that out the hard way back when I had my 2000 X.

#232779 - 10/01/06 06:01 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Damn, Idiot Drivers...She was probably on her Cell Phone...I got rear ended one time, by a woman occupied with her cell phone...X looks good though, no damage...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#232780 - 10/01/06 06:05 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate fuckers that leave their ball hitch on at all times...

Maybe she wouldn't have even hit you, if your ass end wasn't sticking out 6-8" beyond your bumper.

I swear I wish they would make this crap illegal. 'Cause you can never see where the rear of the truck really is.

If that had been me, and after I got the car stopped, and saw that it was your hitch that got me, I'd get back in the car, and slam on the gas. By god, I'd get your X if it were the last thing I did...

[Finger]

#232781 - 10/01/06 06:07 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn.....thats a killer hitch!! laugh

#232782 - 10/01/06 06:28 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should add some sort of remote Dynamite trigger... that'll stop 'em!

I would also inspect and reinspect and..... that hitch ! You dont want to lose a trailer full of ??????, Knowutimean?

MGJ

#232783 - 10/01/06 06:29 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I have a D-Shackle in my receiver hitch...and its a pre-bumper.

laugh

I was on the way to CT a few weeks ago and some bone head came flying up behind me, noticed the 3 mile line of traffic in front of him, coming to a stop, of which I was the tail gunner apparently...

Slams on his breaks, his nose dives while my tail is rising as I break with the stopping traffic, and, tap?

I ask my son if he felt anything, he said no, I said I thought I felt a tap...he says, maybe we hit a small bump in the road....I shrugged, and we kept going.

I looked in the rearview, but the car was still tailgating me so I could barely see its roof let alone its grill, etc.

A ways later, the car fell back enough to see....and, on HIS HOOD was a very plain imprint of my hitch and D-Shackle.

laugh

He went around me, and never turned his head or even gestured.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#232784 - 10/01/06 06:36 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
[LOL] Nice! Payback's a bitch!

#232785 - 10/01/06 06:43 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got mounted by a woman a few years ago while I was driving a plow truck, wound up chaining her car to a guardrail support and had to get a running start.

#232786 - 10/01/06 06:52 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by granitex:
I got mounted by a woman a few years ago while I was driving a plow truck, wound up chaining her car to a guardrail support and had to get a running start.
??

#232787 - 10/01/06 07:03 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Man, you guys from Ohio have a real strange interpretation of Interstate intercourse [Spit] [Spit] JIMBO

#232788 - 10/01/06 07:06 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your truck is a rear end magnet... geez dude, you really abuse that hitch wink

#232789 - 10/01/06 07:07 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

back before i dislocated my knee this past time, i was taking my bike to work with me and went riding each night afterwards. one morning a guy came right up on me off the on ramp and he was real close to my bike rack for a while so i did a break check and felt a little bump and he slowed way down and pulled over. i kept going and before he got 2 far away, i saw the hole i put in hit front bumper. no scratches but a little blue paint on it.

#232790 - 10/01/06 07:29 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by granitex:
[LOL] This is my new signature.

#232791 - 10/01/06 07:57 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
I hate fuckers that leave their ball hitch on at all times...

Maybe she wouldn't have even hit you, if your ass end wasn't sticking out 6-8" beyond your bumper.

I swear I wish they would make this crap illegal. 'Cause you can never see where the rear of the truck really is.

If that had been me, and after I got the car stopped, and saw that it was your hitch that got me, I'd get back in the car, and slam on the gas. By god, I'd get your X if it were the last thing I did...

[Finger]
If you ride 6 to 8 inches from someones bumper than you deserve to get you car fucked up.

#232792 - 10/01/06 08:21 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's got nothing to do w/ driving that close. It's got everything to do w/ not being able to see where the end of the vehicle in front of you is.

That's why if you're carrying a load that sticks out the back, you're supposed to put a red flag on it; to warn drivers behind you that there is something else that's the true rear of the vehicle, and not the bumper. And it's a visual warning, that moves, and grabs your attention.

Not to mention, whenever asshats have the ball on their hitch, and you try to parallel park behind them, there's either not enough space, 'cause they're hanging over into the spot behind them w/ their hitch, or you don't see it until the last second, and you accidently smack into it.

Or, because the asshat can't see the hitch behind them, they forget when they're backing out of said parking space, and slide the ball right onto the person behind 'em. And don't realize what they've done so they pull off.

Or when an asshat leaves a ball on, and they pull into a regular parking space, but they're overhanging into the driving lane 'cause they don't realize they've still got some jiggly hanging over.

Or when you're driving in city traffic, and the asshat in front of you pulls out in front of you, because they *think* they have enough space; not realizing they're shit is hanging back a good bit behind their bumper. But they're too damn stupid to remember and/or think about it.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves; seeing somebody riding w/ these things still hooked up.

It makes me WANT to rear end them... To shove that ball up into their throat. I guarantee my truck won't swerve first...

#232793 - 10/01/06 08:30 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Or when you're driving in city traffic, and the asshat in front of you pulls out in front of you, because they *think* they have enough space; not realizing they're shit is hanging back a good bit behind their bumper. But they're too damn stupid to remember and/or think about it.
You're talking like the hitch sticks out 2 feet. Even if it sticks out 6 inches or so it's not gonna make it or break it, so to speak. You're saying that in city traffic they cut in not thinking about their ball hitch, well, if it's enough to make a difference, it means that you are too close on their ass, or they are being dumb asses and cutting in too close.

If you say that you can't judge distance to the vehicle when you're pulling up behind them, that means that you're pulling up too close to them and too fast in order to judge the distance cerrectly.

I honestly don't see a problem because with decent vision you can always see it on the back of someone and just back off a little. You know it's there so give yourself some more room. 6 more inches are not gonna killa ya.

I do agree on your point of people backing into spots with them on. I live in the city and there's nothing but parallel parking around here. I've gotten backed into numerous times when I used to drive a Sentra and later a Maxima.

#232794 - 10/01/06 08:43 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
If they were going fast enough to have that hitch go into their bumper like that, 8" would not have been enough space for them to stop.

Furthermore. If 6" - 8" causes you a problem in telling where the end of the vehicle is then you are following way to close.

:rolleyes:

#232795 - 10/01/06 08:45 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I hate to agree with porsche on anything... but I do on this one.

I thought it WAS illegal to drive around with a ball installed in the receiver... but maybe not.

And anyway, why not remove the hitch pin and take the damn thing out rather than ripping the front of this lady's car off? I'm sure there was a less-damaging way that it could have been removed.

The liberally-applied-on-XOC high and mighty attitude of "that dumbass deserves whatever happens to them" just sucks. If I had gotten what I deserved everytime I got away with something stupid I wouldn't be sitting here... and neither would anyone else. You just have to try to remember the stupid things you did and try not to do them again.

#232796 - 10/01/06 08:51 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
If I had gotten what I deserved everytime I got away with something stupid I wouldn't be sitting here...
Sometimes Darwin takes a vacation.

Quote:
And anyway, why not remove the hitch pin and take the damn thing out rather than ripping the front of this lady's car off? I'm sure there was a less-damaging way that it could have been removed....
What about the lady paying attention to traffic and not trying to mount the Xterra from behind? That would have caused less damage to her car.

#232797 - 10/01/06 08:55 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I hate to agree with porsche on anything... but I do on this one.
Wow.

Are you running a fever?

The thing I don't get, is a hitch ball causes more damage to the vehicle in the rear, whether it's a rear-end and their fault, or whether it's a backing-up, and it's the truck's fault.

But that much damage could ALL be prevented, if just the owner of the truck wasn't so freaking lazy to take 2 seconds out of their day, and take the damn thing off.

I've been rear-ended, several times, when I used to drive a dodge dakota. Of the 3 times, not 1 of them did enough damage to my truck, that I couldn't just bend the bumper right back into shape. None of them ever caused a lot of damage to the car behind me. But if I had been an ass enough to ride around with a ball, it could have easily punched through their grill, and then through their radiator & oil cooler, and caused WAY more damage than what should have happened.

So what does that do? It causes insurance companies to have to pay more per accident, because some driver was too damn lazy to take off their ball. And then, since insurance companies aren't about to take a loss on something, it causes everybody's insurance rates to go up just a smidge, because some asshat was lazy.

So this little fender bender you were in now has turned into a much bigger ordeal, because you left the ball on. Most likely, considering how little damage was actually done to that car, NOTHING would have happened to either your truck or the car, if the hitch hadn't been there.

But congratulations. You got your big [Finger] to the person that hit you. And you got to post a thread & some pictures to show how "great" your truck & hitch are, because it completely fucked up some person's day.

2 seconds to remove a ball. For the love of god, quit being lazy and take the damn thing off.

#232798 - 10/01/06 08:58 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
What about the lady paying attention to traffic and not trying to mount the Xterra from behind? That would have caused less damage to her car.
What about the lady actually trying to get stopped, and almost being successful, but the joker in front of her had a hitch on, causing an accident that she almost avoided in the first place.

And what about that justifies putting the X into gear, and darn near ripping her front bumper off?

How about just disconnecting the ball, turning it 90 degrees, and removing it from the grill w/o causing any more damage.

Sure, she's at fault for hitting the X in the first place.

But if I were an insurance adjuster, I'd blame the X driver, for causing more damage to the vehicle, by slamming into gear and driving forward. One stupid thing (rear end) doesn't justify doing another (ripping out).

#232799 - 10/01/06 09:04 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:

So this little fender bender you were in now has turned into a much bigger ordeal, because you left the ball on. Most likely, considering how little damage was actually done to that car, NOTHING would have happened to either your truck or the car, if the hitch hadn't been there.

But congratulations. You got your big [Finger] to the person that hit you. And you got to post a thread & some pictures to show how "great" your truck & hitch are, because it completely fucked up some person's day.

You speak like it is his fault some idiot was not paying attention to their driving and caused and accident.

Put the blame where it belongs , the dumbass who was not paying attention while operating a 3k pound car.

#232800 - 10/01/06 09:13 AM Re: Rear ended... Again! (pics)
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
What about the lady actually trying to get stopped, and almost being successful, but the joker in front of her had a hitch on, causing an accident that she almost avoided in the first place.
If she slid 30 feet and he already moved up some then how much coddling do you want to give this person?

Quote:
And what about that justifies putting the X into gear, and darn near ripping her front bumper off?

How about just disconnecting the ball, turning it 90 degrees, and removing it from the grill w/o causing any more damage.
While the way he disconnected himself from her bumper may be extreme why should he be made to take a course of action that (from the way it looks) would not have been successful unless you removed the grille from the car?

Quote:
Sure, she's at fault for hitting the X in the first place.

But if I were an insurance adjuster, I'd blame the X driver, for causing more damage to the vehicle, by slamming into gear and driving forward. One stupid thing (rear end) doesn't justify doing another (ripping out).
I would guess that with the police at the scene and directing events after the crash that the police did not want to waste time jacking with her bumper any longer.

So now we can blame the police too!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal