2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#236426 - 18/12/03 06:16 PM New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK...So I deleted the other forum topic about this, and posted the pics on a different host.....are they showing up now?!?!?

#236427 - 18/12/03 06:16 PM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

oops....aorry bout the size.....I thought they were smaler than that.... [Uh Oh !]

#236428 - 18/12/03 08:18 PM Re: New Bumper guard
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
is that custom made or is it a modified version of the available grill guard?
sorry my monitor is terrible and displays everything incredibly dark.

#236429 - 18/12/03 09:11 PM Re: New Bumper guard
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
I like it! are the rubber strips suposed to stick up on the back like that?

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#236430 - 18/12/03 09:29 PM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's actually made by Smittybilt. I got it off of Ebay for $95 + $25 shipping. It took about an hour to install, and it bolts directly to the frame in 4 locations - two on the underside by the tow hooks, and two inside the bumper where the bumper itself is bolted to the car(by the radiator...I'll try to get better pics to show...). I'm gonna have a buddy of mine, who installs custom winches and winch plates, to check it out to see if something can be done about mounting a winch to it(seeing as it is bolted to the frame in 4 locations, it may be possible). Also going to add two Piaa 520's to the top of it....

As for the rubber stripping, it runs along a rail that is on the front of the side plates. It doesn't stick up anywhere(even though it may look like it does from the angle of the pics taken).

#236431 - 18/12/03 09:32 PM Re: New Bumper guard
Ramness Offline

oh and you suck cause you have snow!

I have vacation time next week, Im getting new tires then drivng I-75N till I find snow to play in.

#236432 - 18/12/03 10:58 PM Re: New Bumper guard
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Haha, I have snow too and will have it until probably the middle of March! laugh I haven't even seen the concrete on the road for several weeks!

#236433 - 19/12/03 03:25 AM Re: New Bumper guard
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
It looks like a Police bumper?

-Rick

#236434 - 19/12/03 05:54 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:
oh and you suck cause you have snow!
I don't know if I'd call the 1/8th of an inch Snow. Its all gone now too because we had rain after that.

[Crybaby]

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Haha, I have snow too and will have it until probably the middle of March! laugh I haven't even seen the concrete on the road for several weeks!
[Crybaby] [Crybaby] [Crybaby]

I WANT SNOW!!! And not this cheesy fraction of an inch crap either. laugh

#236435 - 19/12/03 06:22 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
It looks like a Police bumper?
Someone here on the XOC asked if something like a Police Bumper existed fot the X. This is actually
similar, but I think a factory Nissan brush guard(or a similar by Waag, Smittybilt, etc...)without the headlight guards, would look more like a police bumper. The squads around here have the bumper that comes up above the hood and covers the entire grill. My guess is to protect the radiator.

This is called the Sport Bumper, and is made by Smittybilt.

Here are one of the Ebay ads -

This one's for a 98-01 Fronty

I'm guessing it would work for the 00-01 X.....

#236436 - 19/12/03 06:54 AM Re: New Bumper guard
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
No offense, but that bumper decoration is for pushing shopping carts and mounting extra fog lights, not for a winch. I don't know how your buddy is going to make that work for a 100 lbs. winch that pulls a 2 1/2 ton truck out of mud.

#236437 - 19/12/03 08:20 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by KCX:
No offense, but that bumper decoration is for pushing shopping carts and mounting extra fog lights, not for a winch. I don't know how your buddy is going to make that work for a 100 lbs. winch that pulls a 2 1/2 ton truck out of mud.
Thats similar to what I said too!! But if he wants to have a go at it....by all means! Go for it!! If it works, sweet! If not, no biggie because I didn't think it could support it anyways! It is MUCH stronger than something that is used to push around shopping carts....thats what the Westin Safari bar is!!! [Finger]

It can DEFINATELY support more than 100 lbs though....I weigh 235 and stood on the top bar and literally jumped up and down on it. Didn't phase it in the least!!! So....it MAY be possible....Remember...IT IS BOLTED TO THE FRAME IN 4 LOCATIONS!!!! 2 underneath, and 2 where the bumper is bolted on under the grill by the radiator!! If my trailer hitch, that is bolted on by 6 bolts, can tow a trailer with a 19' Stingray with a 4.3L Vortec inboard, then this can lug some heavy shit around too....

#236438 - 20/12/03 04:25 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Ramness Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
[b]It looks like a Police bumper?
Someone here on the XOC asked if something like a Police Bumper existed fot the X. [/b]
That was me... should be done in a few weeks!

#236439 - 20/12/03 02:26 PM Re: New Bumper guard
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Quote:
Originally posted by KCX:
[b]No offense, but that bumper decoration is for pushing shopping carts and mounting extra fog lights, not for a winch. I don't know how your buddy is going to make that work for a 100 lbs. winch that pulls a 2 1/2 ton truck out of mud.
Thats similar to what I said too!! But if he wants to have a go at it....by all means! Go for it!! If it works, sweet! If not, no biggie because I didn't think it could support it anyways! It is MUCH stronger than something that is used to push around shopping carts....thats what the Westin Safari bar is!!! [Finger]

It can DEFINATELY support more than 100 lbs though....I weigh 235 and stood on the top bar and literally jumped up and down on it. Didn't phase it in the least!!! So....it MAY be possible....Remember...IT IS BOLTED TO THE FRAME IN 4 LOCATIONS!!!! 2 underneath, and 2 where the bumper is bolted on under the grill by the radiator!! If my trailer hitch, that is bolted on by 6 bolts, can tow a trailer with a 19' Stingray with a 4.3L Vortec inboard, then this can lug some heavy shit around too....[/b]
wow, it's BOLTED IN FOUR LOCATIONS??!!!!!!!!!

my stock rails were too. i guess i should've kept them on huh?
you could say the same about lots of bolt on pieces but that doesn't mean anything. i'm not saying that thingamajig you have is strong or not, but i hope you have more info than the number of bolts and your body weight to decide to test it w/ a winch.

and your trailer hitch is, well, a fucking trailer hitch for god's sake.

to me, that piece you have on looks like nothing more than a damaged grille guard. whatever floats your boat. but when people use the kind of logic you used to calculate strength and safety it annoys the fuck out of me.

#236440 - 21/12/03 12:26 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off, I am not the one that is going to test the strength...I merely stated that I got on it to show it can hold the weight of a winch. The testing will be done by someone that custom builds the winch plates. In my eyes, he is more qualified than just about any of you here. ALSO, I am a structural engineer....I know what can and cannot be done and the stresses that can be applied and where they will be applied.....I am not going to put something on the truck that can and may damage it. I merely stated IT WAS A POSSIBILITY!!! So to all of you who question it's ability... [Save the fine unicorns] [Finger]

#236441 - 21/12/03 01:47 AM Re: New Bumper guard
ClaptoVaughn Offline

obviously all of us, including you even, have some level of doubt as to its ability.

sorry about the flame but no need to flip me off smile .

#236442 - 21/12/03 06:19 AM Re: New Bumper guard
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do have some fairly high level of doubts myself, as it was not purchased with a winch in mind, but rather more protection for the front end, and a place to mount some nice Piaas. That is why it is not my top priority to get a winch put onto it. If it happens, it happens....but if a winch were at the top of my list, I would have gone Calmini, ARB, or the likes...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal