2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#246530 - 29/07/03 11:32 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
puffdc Offline

Loc: NOR CAL
you're kidding right??? wink
that was before the sas, as you can see in the pics the ifs is still there(back when it was only a measly 6" lift).
wait till he lowers it a couple of inches and puts in bigger tires, i do concur with you with it being "badass" smile

#246531 - 29/07/03 11:36 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Some people have just too much time and money, which only balanced by lack of sense...

[Edited to add]
Oh and Snoopy - thanks a lot for Moon Patrol link. Travelled back in time for like 16 years... cool

#246532 - 29/07/03 12:39 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Commanding view of the traffic but not blocking cars behind you, smart idea! Though other heavy trucks that sit eye level with him would have trouble seeing.

#246533 - 29/07/03 01:21 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Looks pretty fragile. Props for doing something different. I don't know what it could ever be used for, but it's *different*. I just can;t understand why people spend loads of cash to build something that serves no purpose (other than show). Even as a show truck it doesn't exactly look pretty. I dunno. Weird. [Freak] [Huh?]

#246534 - 29/07/03 04:33 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Must be fun to drive on the roads near the North Shore. Hehe.

#246535 - 29/07/03 06:01 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not gonna thrash his ride; however, to me, it would look 100% better if he hadn't raised it so high, or put skinnier tires on it. The wide tire look with such a small SUV look just doesn't grab the attention.

Would rather see a big 3/4 ton truck upon that set-up - that to me would be cool.

#246536 - 29/07/03 07:13 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I'll give him respect for doing the first SAS, but no front driveshaft screams poser. I'm getting some made for my Heep right now, it's not that tough. Keeping it from blowing Ujoints is, and I'm sure will be on that X.

Is that a 44 front axle? Cant pick them out that well. I'd take off the body lift, and put on some tires that aren't quite as wide and a little taller. Also, some extended flares like on the hardbody would look decent. Nice X
though, but it does look like a moon buggy laugh
John

#246537 - 30/07/03 11:48 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:
[b][b] Moon Patrol [/b]
coolness...[/b]
How the hell do you play??? whenever i jump over the holes i die, whenever i do anything i die?? WTF?? [Crybaby]

#246538 - 30/07/03 11:50 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
That looks like complete ass.

Some people have no taste. And too much money. And time.

Way to ruin a nice truck.

#246539 - 05/08/03 10:36 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
OK, here's the scoop. It's still a work in progress. It was jacked extra-high for now for a car show, and will come back down a bit. The rear is just set up with 4" lift blocks for now and will be re-done sanely. The front driveshaft is pending, a guy there claims to be able to make one that will handle the angle and will replace it for free if it breaks.

Even after it's finished I think it will be a bit too much, and I think it's nuts to do that to a vehicle only a year or so old, but I'm glad to see someone doing it. The next one I know of in the works should be done by the end of the month, with coilovers and radius arms.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#246540 - 05/08/03 10:51 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
GrayHam Offline

Looks like a rollerskate . . .

#246541 - 05/08/03 05:31 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Booya Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
Now it looks like the Tyco RC Xterra. Totally out of proportion.
Exactly. Although, If someone has the money to dink around.. all power to them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Looks like a rollerskate . . .
Funny, but it does sort of does look that way. "Hey, can I have some truck with those wheels... please?"

#246542 - 14/08/03 07:44 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
chocalx Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Congrats on the Super high Xterra wink .
Its always good to do something totally different. Alot of people will not like it at first but as we start seeing more and more of these projects and fixing the minor design flaws their will be much more acceptance.
Just like lifting the X 6 inches was ugly stupid and a waste of money, a year and half almost two years later everyone has, wants, can't aford to do it. eek
I think it really looks great. Once you get everything worked out. drive shaft in, taller ruber, let us know how she performes off road.
"Too each his own"
enough said [Wave]

#246543 - 17/08/03 04:38 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
RJ Offline

Hey chocalx, you have a six inch lift on your truck?! It looks nice BTW. But I'm wondering why you didn't just go spring over in the back? And also, who sells the kit? or did you make it yourself?

Thanks

#246544 - 17/08/03 05:05 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
OffroadX Offline

That's 3" suspension and 3" body, not 6" suspension...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#246545 - 18/08/03 12:24 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Hey chocalx, you have a six inch lift on your truck?! It looks nice BTW. But I'm wondering why you didn't just go spring over in the back? And also, who sells the kit? or did you make it yourself?

Thanks
agreed. body lift or not, your xterra looks great.
on a side note, i wonder if they will ever make a 6" suspension lift for the xterra.

#246546 - 18/08/03 06:15 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You really can't make a 6" lift for an IFS truck like the Xterra.

6" would be basically pointless anyway. 33" tires fit under a 3" lift, why go 3" higher than that ? Just to make it handle worse ?

#246547 - 18/08/03 12:43 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
off2cjb Offline

I like the idea of being able to SAS, but this truck is just way to high. It would like much better a few inches lower. I wouldn't do it, even if I had the money to blow though. Suspension lift of 3" and a 2" body lift is all you need, in my opinion.

#246548 - 18/08/03 01:26 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
RJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
You really can't make a 6" lift for an IFS truck like the Xterra.

6" would be basically pointless anyway. 33" tires fit under a 3" lift, why go 3" higher than that ? Just to make it handle worse ?
I just want to go spring-over. The rear axel the X is too messey compared to 4runners and Pathfinders (and LRs, pickups and a whole bunch of other vehicles); my X always catch branches or other things poking out of trails (one time even a steel cable of somesort used to hold drain pipes). But to do that the front must be raised atleast 5 inches or so. I know this is a relatively easy job on YJs but with the IFS, it must be physically impossible to raise the front that high.

I'd like to go SA myself, it'll provide more articulation and allow me to go airsuspension. Which means ride height control, firmness control and the ability to easily tackle 40 degree sideslopes.

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't like the idea of a body lift much because I heard it puts too much stress on the body.

#246549 - 18/08/03 07:14 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
If you want to lift the front 5", then you will need to resort to a lift like TrailMaster makes, which essentially lowers the diff and control arms 5 inches away from the frame (thus raising the vehicle).

The only drawback is the torsion bars, which mount to the lower a-arm, instead of the upper. This means the torsion bar would be hanging 5 inches below the frame, unprotected.

You'll end up with something like this...

#246550 - 19/08/03 07:16 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
...or you could ditch the T-bars and use coilovers with some custom upper and lower arms. You'd still have to drop the front diff to get useable CV angles, though. I was considering that before trading in my Xterra.

#246551 - 19/08/03 07:28 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Hey Ian... where did that pic come from... that looks like butt! I want to find out what that guy was thinking!!!

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#246552 - 19/08/03 10:26 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
RJ Offline

Yeah thanks Ian for the info.

Guess I'll just wait around. I don't like the idea of everything hanging 5 inches down, that defeats the whole purpose of suspension lift. Looks like Nissan never had aftermarket modifications in mind, why do they have to put the torsion bar suspension system?

Also, has anyone here ever dropped their front diff? It'll solve the CV angle, but what about the front driveshaft angle? 5 inches of lift is probably too much for an X to handle. You'd have too many problems unless you go SA.

Thanks a lot guys

#246553 - 19/08/03 11:47 AM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris McCracken:
...or you could ditch the T-bars and use coilovers with some custom upper and lower arms. You'd still have to drop the front diff to get useable CV angles, though.
And that $ and time would get you a decent solid axle conversion too.

Pretty sure that pic was of the Frontier done by custommotorsports.com, as seen here:
http://www.custommotorsports.com/BIGYELLA.html
$13,000 worth of work in that pile of crap.

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Looks like Nissan never had aftermarket modifications in mind, why do they have to put the torsion bar suspension system?
Does any manufacturer actually do this? Not on that scale they don't. Torsion bars are inexpensive, easy to incorporate, do not add to unsprung weight, and are perfectly suitable for the 95% of the owners that they build vehicles to satisfy...

Brent

#246554 - 20/08/03 06:01 PM Re: First SAS'd Xterra
chocalx Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Thanks for the compliments on the truck guys. wink

But yeah OffroadX is right it is a 3 inch suspension and a 3 inch Body lift laugh

I knew I could fit 33s under the X with a 3 inch suspension lift. But I really wanted the added stability that the wider stance of the 3.5 inch back spacing wheels give. cool
In order to have enough clearance for a complete turning radius, I was forced to put on the extra 3 inch Body lift (which gave it the perfect stance IMOP). Granted I still had to trim about 2 inches in front and in back of the front tires. [Huh?]
Even then I still had a little rubbing under full turns while on uneven terrain. eek

Man that BIG YELLA Frontier. Great components why keep it IFS with all the money they spent on it.
It probably will never see a dirt road any way.
They will be too busy towing it from one car/truck show after an other.
Like I said "To each their own"

[Wave]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal