2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#258143 - 22/02/01 09:23 PM Good in snow?
M3Pilot Offline

Loc: New York
Quick tire question: I'm looking for a stock size tire that I can use all year 'round that will perform good in snow as well as pavement. I'd like to avoid all terrain tires to keep the highway ride on the quiet side. Any recommendations? Anyone have a link to an online SUV winter tire test?

Tom

------------------

#258144 - 22/02/01 10:13 PM Re: Good in snow?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
You might want to try the search feature for this proverbial "dead horse" - but a lot of people like the Pirelli Scorpion A/T and the Winter Dueler A/T tires. They're highly regarded in the snow.

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#258145 - 22/02/01 10:13 PM Re: Good in snow?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
BFG AT/KOs aren't at all noisy on the highway, and do pretty well on the snow. They're excellent all-around tires.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#258146 - 23/02/01 06:48 AM Re: Good in snow?
Tex-X Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
You can't go wrong year round with the Dueler AT. Very quiet on the road and good in the snow. If you want the best snow tire made get the Bridgestone Blizzak. We do media test drives on ice rinks. They are amazing tires. E-mail me if you want specific info on any Bridgestone/Firestone product.

------------------

#258147 - 23/02/01 08:05 AM Re: Good in snow?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-X:
E-mail me if you want specific info on any Bridgestone/Firestone product.

"Yo, wassup wit all the treads coming off?" ;>

------------------
2001 Solar Yellow SE 4x4 V6 5spd

#258148 - 23/02/01 08:09 AM Re: Good in snow?
TimR Offline

Loc: Forest Lake, MN
Yokohama Geolander AT+'s are plenty quiet on the highway. They do well in snow as do the BFG AT's. Pirelli Scorpions however... can get stuck in some not-so-deep-snow. See X's on ice in the picture section. Yellow got stuck, silver and red didn't.

TimR

------------------

#258149 - 23/02/01 08:27 AM Re: Good in snow?
Tex-X Offline

Hey BP, it's on a Ford, what do you expect? Please don't get me started.

------------------

#258150 - 23/02/01 09:33 AM Re: Good in snow?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
He isn't after a "winter" tire guys, so don't bother suggesting Blizzaks/WinterDuelers or the like.

Brent

[This message has been edited by OffroadX (edited 02-23-2001).]

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#258151 - 23/02/01 11:19 AM Re: Good in snow?
Tex-X Offline

That's why I rec. the Dueler AT. However, another option would be the Bridgestone Dueler HT. It is closer to what came as OE. Great on the road with some off road ability. I use to run them on a 2wd Chevy P/U to haul the ATV's and they worked surprisingly well in the dirt. Great warranty too.

------------------

#258152 - 23/02/01 11:33 AM Re: Good in snow?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
I'd second the recommendation for the BFG AT's. I've noticed no difference in noise on the highway, and I'm running 31x10.50's. They chew through the snow like its nothing, last forever, and perform off-road quite well too. Plus they just look "burly". The Geolander's are a little less aggressive and won't last as long, but are quite a bit cheaper if you're buying four.

------------------
Caver-X
'01 Alpine Green XE 4x4
Manual tranny, 3pak
31x10.5 BFG AT's Torsion/SLR Shackle Lift
Sedan-Basher rear bumper

#258153 - 23/02/01 12:20 PM Re: Good in snow?
TimR Offline

Loc: Forest Lake, MN
I got a 60k mile warranty on the Yoko AT+'s at Tires Plus. That is plenty long for me.

I don't know if I buy that the BFG is a more agressive tire or not. Certainly as an off-road tire it has attributes that make it better (3-ply), but the tightly packed tread design seems less aggressive to me compared to the more open design of the Geolander. I can see (and have seen) the BFG's having problems with hydroplaning, and having difficulty shedding mud and snow. Certainly an excellent tire for many, though.

TimR

Quote:
Originally posted by Caver-X:
I'd second the recommendation for the BFG AT's. I've noticed no difference in noise on the highway, and I'm running 31x10.50's. They chew through the snow like its nothing, last forever, and perform off-road quite well too. Plus they just look "burly". The Geolander's are a little less aggressive and won't last as long, but are quite a bit cheaper if you're buying four.

------------------

#258154 - 23/02/01 07:57 PM Re: Good in snow?
DTWXTERRA Offline

Loc: Brighton, MI
TEX-X
I will replace my long trails this fall with a set of duelers. I got 90K out of a set on a 4 runner. That sold them for me. I would like some other information on the various models, but you don't have a current e-mail listed??

------------------
Dan
2000 silver XE
Thor's Wind Deflector Mod

#258155 - 24/02/01 10:37 AM Re: Good in snow?
Tex-X Offline

Dtwxterra

Don't know why my e-mail is not listed. I checked the edit page for me and it is supposed to be there.

Moderator? Can you help?

Go to our web site www.Bridgestone.com. There is a ton of info on tires there. My e-mail is mikejperkins@netscape.net. Let me know if you have any questions. The ATs we are producing now are even better than those you had on your 4-Runner.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tex-X (edited 02-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tex-X (edited 02-26-2001).]

#258156 - 24/02/01 09:33 PM Re: Good in snow?
dborden0 Offline

Loc: albany, or, usa
I have to agree with the road noise with the BFG All Terrains. I just put on 245/75/R16's and the ride is so much better now. It is much quieter, and not nearly as stiff a ride. I used to have the bridgestone dueller All terrains on my old pathfinder before I bought the xterra, and they did excellent in the snow.

#258157 - 24/02/01 10:31 PM Re: Good in snow?
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-X:
Dtwxterra
Go to our web site www.Bridgestone.com. There is a ton of info on tires there. My e-mail is mjperkins@netscape.net. Let me know if you have any questions. The ATs we are producing now are even better than those you had on your 4-Runner.

Umm...if you really work for Bridgestone, am I the only one a bit concerned as to the impartiality of the information you provide? It already sounds like corporate propaganda, but until now I thought you were just a very very enthusiastic customer.

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#258158 - 26/02/01 06:14 AM Re: Good in snow?
Tex-X Offline

Valid point, 16 years with the company. However, I came up through the store ranks, working on cars and selling tires at your local Firestone store. Bridgestone didn't come along until 1990. I believe in the product and the company from personal experience. The numbers of people that visit this board would equate to the number of people that visit one Firestone store in a month. We have 1530 company locations. Do the math. If I was going to spout propaganda, I'd go to the Jeep boards where the numbers are higher or be recommending Firestone Wilderness tires. But, I love the X and think that opinions on this board are just that opinions. Do you question Steve Fisk because he works at Nissan? If you think I'm am enthusiastic, you are right. I always will be even if I leave the company. I'm also enthusiastic about ATV's, camping, canoeing and golf. If someone has a question about those topics I'll do my best to give my opinion. By the way I don't like Bridgestone golf clubs, wouldn't use them if they were free, but they make a hell of a golf ball...

------------------

#258159 - 26/02/01 08:13 PM Re: Good in snow?
cookiemonster Offline

Loc: houston,TEXAS
does any one knows anything about Pirelli Scorpion ZERO...is it good for off roading, snow?mud?

2000 XE 3-pack
houston

------------------

#258160 - 26/02/01 08:25 PM Re: Good in snow?
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Try none of the above...

Seriously, looking at its tread pattern, it might do okay in snow, but it's a "performance" tire that comes in truck sizes...I'd bet traction on anything but wet and dry pavement was NOT a priority when they designed this tire.

Anyone have any actual experience with them? I've only seen them in person on lowered Suburbans...

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html ---> moving to http://www.4x4LO.com

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal