2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#259940 - 21/03/01 02:40 PM Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Anonymous
Unregistered

Word from Bilstein is that their shocks for stock Xterra's are available. Here are the part numbers:

Front 4x4: B46-1099-H2
Front 4x2: B46-1099-H1

Rear 4x4 & 4x2: BE3-6422-H0 (zero, not oh)

I was told cost will be about $60 ea.

Lory

------------------
Onward and Forward
or at least Onward
SCCX: http://www.sccxterra.com/

#259941 - 21/03/01 03:01 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
SkiCalif Offline

Loc: La Selva Beach, CA
They are available. I ordered mine yesterday.

Some have been valved differently(might be a different part#) for those with rear shackles and/or an ARB up front.

------------------
Patto
Silver 2001 4WD XE 3 Pak
ARB, 31" BFG AT KOs
F-Jackie

#259942 - 21/03/01 03:17 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
LJ, Thaxks for all your efforts & testing that was done by you + others from SCCX & Bilstein for helping us build a better truck.

Hopefully, Nissan will get the message and include these shocks as part of an off-road package like Toyota offers on their trucks.

About the extended length Bilstein shocks some may offer for the X, I would proceed cautiously with them because they could be generic 5100's and not specifically valued/designed for Xterra's and/or the added weight some have upfront, didn't go through the same Blistein testing process that the stock production ones did, are not really proven yet (The stock production ones are based on the prototypes that Lory/ others have been pleased with for 6+ months) Although I really hope they work out, until I see more details, actual Bilstein P/Ns, and/or feedback from real Xterra users I would be hesitate to consider them especially if Bilstein doesn't bless them.

[This message has been edited by Xtoolbox (edited 03-21-2001).]

#259943 - 21/03/01 03:35 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Anyone know what kind of differences there are between the different aftermarket brands of shocks? I don't so much mean the design or manufacturing, but what kind of ride difference is there going to be between a Bilstein, a Rancho, a Tokico, and any other brands there are? From the raves I've heard about that TRD package on the Toyota, I'd lean towards the Bilsteins. But that's all I have to go on. Anyone with good/bad experiences with one or the other? Or anyone with a lot of suspension background? I will buy something... just want to know what.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#259944 - 21/03/01 09:57 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
number41 Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I got my Bilstiens today from SLR.

2001 4x4 with shackles in the rear going on tomorrow with the new shocks.

Front: F4-B46-1099-H2
Rear (longer version): F4-B46-2126-H0

They are $65 each.

------------------
Xavier
"I invented electricity. Benjamin Franklin is the devil"

[This message has been edited by number41 (edited 03-21-2001).]

Small hands in third world countries make quality products.

#259945 - 21/03/01 10:05 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Hmm. I wonder if my local 4Wheel Parts is going to have them. I've been waiting for these to come out ever since Lory first mentioned he was testing them. I can then see if removing the rear anti-sway bar is feasible for me and that should take care of my mods for a while.

jeff

#259946 - 21/03/01 10:50 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:

Hopefully, Nissan will get the message and include these shocks as part of an off-road package like Toyota offers on their trucks.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....yeah right.

------------------
Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

2000 Aztec Red 4x4 V-6 XE-3Pak
www.xterra4x4.com

#259947 - 22/03/01 08:23 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
SkiCalif Offline

Loc: La Selva Beach, CA
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/

------------------
Patto
Silver 2001 4WD XE 3 Pak
F-Jackie

#259948 - 22/03/01 08:54 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Xtoolbox Offline

Schlud…You sound a little cynical? FYI Nissan had been in touch with Bilstein, showing interest in offering their shocks in a factory package. "Nothing concrete, just more interest than in the past." according to a contact at Bilstein

Number41…FYI Bilstein doesn't recommend P/N F4-B46-2126-H0 for Xterra's only the ones listed in the first post. They may indeed workout? But they're designed/valued for the old Toyota 93-99 T100 Trucks and most likely won't be warranted/supported by Bilstein if installed on an Xterra. Also the Front: F4-B46-1099-H2 ones are designed/valued by Bilstein for stock Xterra's without consideration for the xtra weight of bullbars/winchs, etc.

Jeff…you should be able to purchase the production shocks from any authorized dealer including 4WP

[This message has been edited by Xtoolbox (edited 03-22-2001).]

#259949 - 22/03/01 09:57 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Anonymous
Unregistered

Schlud,
As Brian said, I talked with the R&D Manager at Bilstein, the one I dealt with for prototyping the Xterra shocks, and he's the one that told me that Nissan has been talking about offering Bilstein's in a factory package. Admittedly, at this point, it is just talk, and may never happen. But it was enough that he mentioned it to me!!

To give an idea of the testing that went into these Bilsteins, they had my X for 2-1/2 days, and put over 130 miles on it. They drove over everything from surface streets, freeways with uneven expansion joints, on a dirt trail, and through a rock quarry. When I picked it up, Lou had me drive through the rock quarry - the speed signs said 12-1/2 MPH (YES -- 12-1/2), and I took it at about 40! The speed bumps were those long ones -- about 18-24" long and about 4" high -- needless to say, the box of gear I had in the cargo area got airborne over every one, and you DEFINITELY knew you had hit a bump (after all, the X doesn't have a whole lotta suspension travel) -- but the shocks just ate the bumps up! I never felt like I lost any control, and recovery was VERY quick. It's like the shocks were begging for more!

As comparison, I took Xtoolbox's X for a quick drive across an open dirt area at Hungry Valley -- got it up to about 35 MPH. Although it felt under control, the ride was a bit jarring (he had his RS9000's set to '5'). I then drove the same area in mine, and it was quite a bit smoother ride. The Bilsteins appear also to recover alot quicker from impacts. Xtoolbox also commented that during a trail ride that same weekend, where I was driving right in front of him, it appeared that I was bouncing in my seat alot less than he felt he was.

I am XTREMELY happy with my shocks and the vast improvement in ride/control they give.

Lory J

------------------
Onward and Forward
or at least Onward
SCCX: http://www.sccxterra.com/

[This message has been edited by BlueLeader (edited 03-22-2001).]

#259950 - 22/03/01 10:10 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Schludwiller Offline

I'm not cynical about Bilstein. I'm a customer. Mine should be here tomorrow.

I'm just cynical about Nissan making an Offroad package for the Xterra. Would this be the one with the floor e-brake or the 17 inch wheels? Nissan is moving towards grocery carriers, not offroading.

You just caught me on a grumpy day. I think it would be very disingenuous for Nissan to offer an "offroad" package when using that package as intended would void most of your warranty.

It would probably come with a WAAG guard anyway.

------------------

www.xterra4x4.com

#259951 - 23/03/01 12:31 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Schludwiller Offline

Got 'em.

Should have them installed Friday or Saturday.

------------------

www.xterra4x4.com

#259952 - 23/03/01 02:58 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
number41 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Schlud…You sound a little cynical? FYI Nissan had been in touch with Bilstein, showing interest in offering their shocks in a factory package. "Nothing concrete, just more interest than in the past." according to a contact at Bilstein

Number41…FYI Bilstein doesn't recommend P/N F4-B46-2126-H0 for Xterra's only the ones listed in the first post. They may indeed workout? But they're designed/valued for the old Toyota 93-99 T100 Trucks and most likely won't be warranted/supported by Bilstein if installed on an Xterra. Also the Front: F4-B46-1099-H2 ones are designed/valued by Bilstein for stock Xterra's without consideration for the xtra weight of bullbars/winchs, etc.

Jeff…you should be able to purchase the production shocks from any authorized dealer including 4WP

[This message has been edited by Xtoolbox (edited 03-22-2001).]

I am so far extremely impressed. I was talking to Spencer Low today and they are going with the 2126 based on testing they have done in numerous configurations, if you dont have the shackles then the 6422's are better suited to the Xterra. It was a gamble on my part that I believe paid off since they perform quite well.

I have a new post in this forum on my first impressions.

------------------
Xavier
"I invented electricity. Benjamin Franklin is the devil" smile

#259953 - 23/03/01 03:33 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueLeader:

As comparison, I took Xtoolbox's X for a quick drive across an open dirt area at Hungry Valley -- got it up to about 35 MPH. Although it felt under control, the ride was a bit jarring (he had his RS9000's set to '5'). I then drove the same area in mine, and it was quite a bit smoother ride. The Bilsteins appear also to recover alot quicker from impacts. Xtoolbox also commented that during a trail ride that same weekend, where I was driving right in front of him, it appeared that I was bouncing in my seat alot less than he felt he was.

I am XTREMELY happy with my shocks and the vast improvement in ride/control they give.

Lory J

The RS9000s aren't meant for going 35mph on setting 5. Maybe 3 or 4 but not 5.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB Bullbar & air locker, 32" BFG Mud Terrains
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#259954 - 23/03/01 03:35 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
RE: 35mph.. I meant 35mph through bumps =)

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB Bullbar & air locker, 32" BFG Mud Terrains
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#259955 - 23/03/01 09:46 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
Mine where shipped from SLR on Wed. Can't wait to get them and install them. I'm glad to hear so many good things about them so far.

------------------

#259956 - 26/03/01 12:55 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Put my front on yesterday that I got from SLR. I like it so far, I no longer get that eXtra bump from speed bumps or pulling into my driveway. I will be able to test it more this weekend when the AZXC goes to Crown King.

------------------

#259957 - 01/04/01 05:41 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
with the rear sway bar removed, how do the bilstein's hold up on cornering when driving on road? is there much sway or does it feel as if the sway bar was still on?
looks as if there's great feedback with those who have installed them. i'm just about ready to purchase a set myself. this board is a great help on how and what to buy before doing it.

------------------
2001 silver 4x4 SE
steinism's x

#259958 - 04/04/01 12:20 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
number41 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
with the rear sway bar removed, how do the bilstein's hold up on cornering when driving on road? is there much sway or does it feel as if the sway bar was still on?
looks as if there's great feedback with those who have installed them. i'm just about ready to purchase a set myself. this board is a great help on how and what to buy before doing it.

Both body roll and pitch are DECREASED with the Bilstiens. I removed the rear sway bar when I put them on and I think the rear end is more solid going around corners than it was stock.

I am extremely happy with my bilstiens.

------------------
Xavier
All your trail are belong to us

#259959 - 04/04/01 03:04 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
ShipRekd1 Offline

How does $69.95 sound for the stock length 4x4 Bilsteins. That is the going rate from OK Auto. I think its a few bucks more that SLR, but OK is 10 minutes from my house..so I wouldn't have to pay freight...only "Uncle Sam" (hahahaha)

Thanks

Jason

------------------
www.ec4x4e.com

#259960 - 05/04/01 09:41 AM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
number41 Offline

SLR charges 65.00 plus shipping so you do the math with you figure in Tax and all that.

------------------
Xavier
All your trail are belong to us

#259961 - 05/04/01 05:01 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
SLR would be the only place I would buy them from.

------------------
"I can make it over any obstacle, I just might not be able to make it to the next one."

#259962 - 06/04/01 01:43 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
SLR would be the only place I would buy them from.

why? OK tire is great and very helpful. have you had a bad experience with them?

------------------
2001 silver 4x4 SE
steinism's x

#259963 - 06/04/01 03:40 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I just got an email from them, but it brought up something I hadn't seen anyone mention before. I know they have the straight OE replacements and also some longer ones for anyone with their lift or shackles, but they also listed one for that is specially valved for someone who just wants to remove the swaybar (IE: no lift or shackles). It's the same price as the other special ones ($65).

It is my intention to remove the swaybar after I install the shocks, but I was under the impression that people were doing so with just using the "regular" $60 Bilsteins. Obviously, $10 isn't the factor here, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off going with the ones that were actually tested by Lory, etc.

jeff

------------------
"Tell a person that you're the Metatron and they stare at you blankly. Mention something out of a Charlton Heston movie and suddenly everybody is a theology scholar."

#259964 - 06/04/01 04:02 PM Re: Bilstein shocks for stock Xterra's are now available
Xtoolbox Offline

Jeff,

FYI removing the sway bars works just fine with the OE replacement Bilstein's. Lory's rear sway bar has been disconnected for sometime. For the front one just make sure you reconnect before reaching pavement.

Keep in mind that Bilstein only recommends the OE ones listed in Lory's first post for X's. Bilstein may not warrant any other model or modification with their regular lifetime deal for the original owners. Check out http://www.bilstein.com/index2.html and/or give them a call for the official line/related details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal