2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26090 - 15/11/05 04:35 PM Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am considering the purchase of an 00 X. I would be getting this from a friend of mines sister who has had all maintenance done on schedule, babied it, used as grocery getter etc.

It has about 80K on it and is in excellent condition. I am not inquiring about price as I would be getting it for trade in value. The price I can research myself. Here is what I really need to know.

1. I am aware it is a dog, but would it possibly tow a 3200 lb. trailer on? My kids (13 and 15) have their own ski boat and when we go to the lake I take two trucks. My wife tows my boat with the Tahoe and I tow the kids boat with the Blazer. The Blazer is a 73 with stick and only has 7,500 original miles on it so when the oldest boy turns 16 he will not be driving hence the need for a second tow vehicle. My wife will use it running around rather than putting miles on the Tahoe. When 15 year old turns 16 he would use it so I am no longer a chauffer to sports practice.

2. I know there were some problems with the 00 but if it has already made it 80K should I look out for anything else? Issues such as replacing brakes and simple mechanical procedure don’t really bother me.
2a. How many miles should one get out of the tranny (auto) before it goes tits up?
2b. Would the engine live a comparable life span to a 4runner 6?
I suppose what I am really asking is are these as reliable and long running as the Toyotas?

3. How bad does the mileage such with the 6 in an 00 or other years that have basically the same driveline? I was sort of looking at 4 Runners or Durangos. I know the Durango would probably pull a house with the 318. Not sure about the 4 Runner’s 6.

4. What else should I ask that I did not?

Thanks,
Possible Future X Owner…

#26091 - 15/11/05 04:48 PM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also maybe a little history lesson on the changes from year to year. And don't flame me for using this as Wrestling/Football Mom truck. My stable has been full for years with everything from FJ40 to BB Burbs and 460'd Broncos. Just never had a Nissan before. Many of my old mudding buddies had 4 runners and I was amazed at what they would put up with. After many years of abuse the engine finally gave up in one so we slapped an aluminum SBC in and ran it some more.

#26092 - 15/11/05 06:35 PM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a 2000 XE 4x4. It has almost 90K on the odometer and I haven't had any problems with it. Owned it since it had 54K. The stated towing capacity for 00' with AT is 5000lbs. The MT is 3250lbs. I think?
I'm running 31" mud tires and getting around 16mpg, when I had street tires on I was getting close to 19mpg.
My brother in-law has an 02' Supercharged model with 32" AT tires and get's only 11-12mpg.
Not sure if this is helpful, but I haven't had any issues with my rig. No repairs at all. Just basic care.

#26093 - 15/11/05 06:48 PM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had my 2000 six years this month with no probs. Some say to look out for cracked exhaust manifolds. I put a tranny cooler on, and with fluid changes often, it should last. the 3.4 Toy engine is very reliable, but the 3.3 is also built to last. I think they are comparable to Toyota, as we also drive an 04 4runner. Some say the earlier X's were built better than later ones.

Durangos? Give me a break, don't you remember the publicity of the front ends coming apart a couple years ago? Yea, I want my kids riding/ driving in a Chrysler POS. Good engines, shit trannies, and poor build quality :rolleyes: .

#26094 - 15/11/05 07:00 PM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've heard Durango's are terrible in snow even with the 4 wheel drive on.Go for the X you'll be happy you did.

#26095 - 16/11/05 01:36 AM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wife and I just bought another 2000 SE 4x4.
Do I have to say anymore?

1st one has 80,000 this one has 52,000.
The one with 80,000 has cracked exhaust manifold been that way for along time, I'll get it fixed one day.

Pretty heavy on gas in the city around 16-17 mpg Ive seen 20.2 mpg on the interstate running 70 mph

I love nissan and toyota but I buy nissan because the nissan's are cheaper for the same thing.
Resale is better on the toyota's but I dont care for resale as I hope to have both Xterra's for 10 years or so.

Towed a 3000 lb boat no problem keep the O/D off in the hills and you should be good to go.

Neither of them are perfect but they get the job done and for family with dogs and stuff they cant be beat.

#26096 - 17/11/05 12:44 AM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some pics of my X (before the mods started), towing my 2001 19' Stingray 190FX:

I have no problems at all towing it around. Believe it or not, the X makes launching and retrieving look easy compared to some of the larger trucks....I think that's because alot of people towing boats should not be allowed to launch and retrieve them :rolleyes: At any rate, 3200# should be no problem at all for a 2000 X.

#26097 - 17/11/05 01:48 AM Re: Considering purchase of 00 XTerra
Anonymous
Unregistered

With all the complaints of how much of a dog the 3.3 is it must be the torque that makes the truck livable. If you know boats you know that torque is what moves you and not HP.

I suppose if I need a HP fix I can just stick to the boat.

GM 502 with B&M 250 SC
637 HP at 5250
593 lb-ft at 3600
655 lb-ft at 4600

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal