2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#261551 - 15/12/03 05:41 PM Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
I was all set to get these tires in 31/10.5/15 this week. Was given a Great price by Tires Plus here in town for $470 for all 4 mounted, tax, and road hazard. Then one of our club members told me they had a gotten a bad rating on www.tirerack.com

Took a look at their website and saw that they had a rating of 8.9 out of 10. Looked good, but then I started reading the reviews. The people who wrote good reviews were those that had only had the tires for a short period of time. The ones leaving bad reviews had been riding on them for a while. Reviewers who have had them longer are claiming fast wear, uneven wear, poor traction in wet weather after the tread has worn a little, as well as increased road noise over time. One reviewer claimed to only have them for 11K and they needed replacing. However not all of those with high miles on them are giving bad reviews.

Anyone here that has had them for a while care to comment?

Link to reviews

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT+Plus+II&commentStatus=P

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#261552 - 15/12/03 05:55 PM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
I got mine Saturday and so far they have worn well laugh

#261553 - 16/12/03 05:56 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Ramness Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
I got mine Saturday and so far they have worn well laugh
Smartass!

Anyone else that has had them more than 3 days!?

I see people talk about them on here so someone should have some input!

#261554 - 16/12/03 07:11 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
I have had these tires for about 2 years.

PRO: AWESOME wet traction and braking. Zero hydroplaning or skidding in the rain, even with some panic stops. Probably the best tire I have ever driven as far as wet conditions go. Really really good in all sorts of wet weather.

PRO: As good as any other AT tire on the trail. Decent in most typical trail conditions. Pretty good in slop and mud (but not SERIOUS mud) because they can clean themsleves.

PRO: Decent in the snow because they can clean themsleves.

CON: They are wearing fast. I have about 25K on mine they are about toast already. The stickier the tire, the more it will wear (my logic anyway). I rotate the bejesus out of them and get alignments fairly often, but they are wearing.

I will probably try the Revos next because they have pretty much the same tread pattern and the Geolandars, but are supposed to last longer. Would I recommend the Gealoandars? Yes. Would I get them again? Hmmmmm....probably not just due to the wear.

#261555 - 16/12/03 07:53 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
I have a set of 32x11.50R15 for 5,000+ miles so far. I purchased them for their price, and tread pattern... I also read those reviews that talked about "fast wearing," but I decided to purchase, hoping that they changed to better materials for AT+II from AT+.

So far, I only rotated them once about 1,000 miles ago. They do appear to requre tire rotation every 3 to 4,000 miles. I did see some "funny" wear on front tires before the rotation.

They perform well on wet pavement so far...including 1-3" snow covered road. I am not an aggressive driver, though... rather a slow driver...

In clay type mud, my impression so far is that Geolander performs very similar to BFG AT. But, I never took the time to compare them too closely, either...

Overall, I am happy with them so far. smile

#261556 - 16/12/03 07:59 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
I had mine for two years before upgrading to BFGoodrich M/Ts. From my personal experience, the Geolander's have great traction on and off road. These tires have saved my butt in a few evasive manuevers. When I sold my tires, they had approximately 11k miles and 60% of the tread left.

What kind of performance are you looking to get from these tires?

#261557 - 16/12/03 08:56 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Bucweet X Offline

Loc: Houston TX
I purchased these tires on 3/28/2002.
The majority of my driving is street/highway.
I frequently travel dirt/gravel/unimproved roads but no serious trails.

My opinion concurs with Cygnus-X1.

Here in the land of hurricanes and freak thunderstorms these tires have been great. Very good wet traction and no problems with hydroplaning. Like most cities, Houston driving is an adventure. I've been very confident with these tires while driving with aggression, and when maneuvering in sheer terror.

I have about 21K and I'm already contemplating replacements though. Admittedly I haven't been as diligent with rotation as is necessary, but the fronts do seem to wear quickly. With increased wear, there is increased noise with these babies. Not bothersome, but noticeable.

I would recommend them with the caveat to rotate often and keep your vehicle aligned. Would I buy them again? Well with mounting, tax, road hazard, valve stems, and disposal fee, etc. I paid about $550 at Discount Tire. They have since increased in price. Considering the quicker-than- expected wear and current price, I'll be looking for a longer lasting, less expensive alternative.

#261558 - 16/12/03 09:45 AM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my back in July, and so far they are very good [ThumbsUp] . The best thing is they handle well in snow. Last weekend I got stuck in a ditch while go wheeling. The snow was up over the wheel my buddy have to jump out of the window to get out :p . Anyhow after few rock back and forth few time I able to get out. And all I can said the tire have very good traction.

#261559 - 17/12/03 03:04 PM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Ramness Offline

Hmm well if the case it that they changed it for the +II then I might just give them a try. They have a 40,000 tread warranty which would be just under 2 years for me so I'll ask the tire place about that.

#261560 - 18/12/03 01:43 PM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Not sure how all that tread warranty stuff works because I have never used/tried it. My tires are the AT+II (I haven't seen the old AT+ for sale for a long time now) so my review is based on the same tire you are looking at. Most of my wear is "cupping" of the front tires. Rears wear very well.

I would certainly give them a go. Just rotate them A LOT. Can't say enough about the wet traction of these tires. They are really good.

#261561 - 18/12/03 09:47 PM Re: Yokohama Geolander AT +II Any long term experience?
Ramness Offline

yeah the BFG AT/KO on my last X cupped realy bad on the front. Aparently it's suspension design or something. At least thats what I was told.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal