shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#261811 - 15/07/02 07:03 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
To me, that looks like he's checking the clearance of the Waag to the rock, and from the angle of the tires, he's trying to get the passenger front tire up on that rock also.

Oleg's crouched down so he can get a better view, but his hand is held up high so the driver can still see him.

What do you see wrong in that picture??????

If you thought it was bad spotting at the time, why didn't you help a fellow X'er out, instead of just taking a picture of it???

#261812 - 15/07/02 07:10 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
To me, that looks like he's checking the clearance of the Waag to the rock, and from the angle of the tires, he's trying to get the passenger front tire up on that rock also.

Oleg's crouched down so he can get a better view, but his hand is held up high so the driver can still see him.

What do you see wrong in that picture??????
What you don't see is what happened next.. oLeG directed him to where he was stuck on that rock. He did make it down under Olegs direction but he was scraping things left and right.

FYI.. the correct line was about four feet to the left as you are looking at the picture. The drivers side tire should have been where the rock you see about to impact the WAAG is. ANd it was possible to go down and up without touching any part of the Xterra to any rocks. (Ian did it right after Todd blew out his sidewall)

#261813 - 15/07/02 07:11 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Rich,
Carlton, plz do tell me whats wrong with that picture

I was just trying to see if Waag will clear the rock, and i was giving hand signals to the driver, keeping my hand above his hood, so he can see it

and if i remember correctly He did not get stock on the rock, waag cleared it , and then he climb on it with a passenger side tire, just as i planed it

#261814 - 15/07/02 07:16 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Thanks Rich,
Carlton, plz do tell me whats wrong with that picture

I was just trying to see if Waag will clear the rock, and i was giving hand signals to the driver, keeping my hand above his hood, so he can see it

and if i remember correctly He did not get stock on the rock, waag cleared it , and then he climb on it with a passenger side tire, just as i planed it
You directed him directly onto the rock. He was scraping parts all the way down. If you remember.. the correct line was about 4 feet to the left as you are looking to the picture.

#261815 - 15/07/02 07:18 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
[QBFYI.. the correct line was about four feet to the left as you are looking at the picture. The drivers side tire should have been where the rock you see about to impact the WAAG is. ANd it was possible to go down and up without touching any part of the Xterra to any rocks. (Ian did it right after Todd blew out his sidewall)[/QB]
I wasn't there, so I don't know the complete situation, but 4 feet to the left would have put the truck up on that slope, causing the truck to hit that rock off camber. From what I can see in the picture, I would have taken Oleg's line there. It's just my opinion, but I would rather be level and taking an obstacle, than off camber while taking it. If Ian made the line to the left, that's great. Ian is an experienced offroader, with a modified X. From the looks of that black X in the picture, he's pretty much stock, except for mabyee AT's

I apologize for taking this thread offtopic too, so back to the steering system....it works GREAT!!! I have a couple of pictures, but won't have them up till later tonight...I'm off to work now.

#261816 - 15/07/02 07:23 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
so back to the steering discussion please....

#261817 - 15/07/02 07:34 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
][QUOTE]
You directed him directly onto the rock. He was scraping parts all the way down. If you remember.. the correct line was about 4 feet to the left as you are looking to the picture.
CArLton mcMIllaN (read caps wink )
yes he was scraping FRAME all the way down, so your point is ?

The correct line is the line that will get you down/up wiht out damage wink

Geting back to the stering topic
I was not able to install it on the camping this weekened, i will be doing it after i will replace my center link Again ;(, and probably idler arm, but seeing it on different trucks sure looks promising, and much cheaper then Carltons system , and Slr's system

#261818 - 15/07/02 07:44 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PrAvda:

yes he was scraping FRAME all the way down, so your point is ?
The point is that you, after seeing the correct line which did not have any scraping, directed him away from that line..

Geting back to the steering topic..

Any pics of this stuff installed?

#261819 - 15/07/02 07:50 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Plz refer to my definition of the correct line above

#261820 - 15/07/02 08:00 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
Here is the one on FSRBiker's truck, but I don't know any details. Sometimes simple is better.

Richard

#261821 - 15/07/02 08:03 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Krenn:
Here is the one on Pika's truck, but I don't know any details. Sometimes simple is better.

Richard
Does it interfere with an idler arm brace?

After reading 01SalsaXterra (aka Ken) I see that he had a brace on his.

#261822 - 15/07/02 08:15 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Hmm, so it's something smooth that sits on top of the centerlink forcing it to hit the frame and slide under stress (or stay in constant contact with it) rather than something that can catch.
Looks to me like a thin metal plate with a layer of plastic bored for the u-bolts and counter-sunk for the nuts and washers. That seems a bit crude, but if it works...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#261823 - 15/07/02 08:44 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
A) If you read Ken's message, he said he has an Idler Arm brace on his setup.

B) Let's see if we can keep this thread on topic shall we? [Finger]

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Here is the one on Pika's truck, but I don't know any details. Sometimes simple is better.

Richard
Simple yet is looks to be effective.. Does it interfere with an idler arm brace?[/b]

#261824 - 15/07/02 10:12 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I would be willing to test one out on my Frontier for you. Just thought I would let you know. I am looking for a cheap fix to this problem. I will be getting one of the solutions soon. I would much rather spend the extra $300 on something else!

#261825 - 15/07/02 11:11 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Hey Carlton
check this thread out

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000147#000001

as well as this one

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000148

#261826 - 15/07/02 11:17 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
are you two done with your bullsh*t yet?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you created that new one somewhere else - thank you. I didn't feel like reading it all so I thought it was more ammo being flung back and forth.

Okay, where were we? laugh

#261827 - 15/07/02 12:40 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I know it work Andy, I just want to get higher on the list to get one if it works out. [Finger]

#261828 - 15/07/02 12:48 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
tlcafj60 Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
Not to dog it, but won't this setup eventually rub all the paint, etc. off the frame and create a hotbed for rust?.
Some UHMW plastic could be bonded to the frame rail somehow (just an idea, havent figured that part out). This stuff is very smooth and extremely durable. It would allow sliding without impacting frame paint.

#261829 - 15/07/02 12:59 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

How are the U-Bolts secured?

Has anyone given any thought to what might happen if those u-bolts loosten up and lock your steering by allowing that block to move? That would be a bad thing to happen on the trail (esp. on something like Black Bear)

#261830 - 15/07/02 01:06 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Your solution looks interesting. It will definatly keep the center link from twisting up.

The thing to remember with the stock Nissan center link is, the bushing will eventually wear even without twisting. This will still lead to some play in the steering. Also the pin is made from a some what soft material. Every center link I've changed has had a bent pin.

I'm am going to do a Rockwell test to see what the hardness of the pin is when I have a chance to go to our other facility. I'm guessing it is quite a bit softer than a Grade 8 bolt.

As for the frame rusting issue I doubt it will have much of an affect unless you park the truck for a while. The constant motion of the block will keep rust from forming.

Good luck with your solution to the problem. smile

Got paint?

#261831 - 15/07/02 01:08 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!

OMFG, what next ? eek

If you're going to try and stop rotation of the center link, at least try something besides a huge friction plate band-aid.

#261832 - 15/07/02 01:16 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!

OMFG, what next ? eek

If you're going to try and stop rotation of the center link, at least try something besides a huge friction plate band-aid.[/b]
What ideas have you come with einstein? While it may some refinements it is a good idea to start with. Very simple design.

#261833 - 15/07/02 01:31 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by axle59:
What ideas have you come with einstein? While it may some refinements it is a good idea to start with. Very simple design.
Why should I have to come up with a design ? I'm not a parts manufacturer.

I do have a background in mechanical design though, and that thing is a band-aid, a crutch, not a solution.

#261834 - 15/07/02 01:50 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Hmm...simple & not too big on aesthetics.
One interesting consequence (intended?) of the design is that it prevents stress on the idler arm (both the arm itself & the idler arm pivot).
It basically appears to put most of the vertical force transferred via the tie rods onto the frame of the truck.
One thing, though: doesn't the centerlink translate up & down some small amount as the steering moves from one extreme to another?
EDIT: Doh! Nevermind; CL doesn't move up/down; rather fore and aft as XOC mentions below.

#261835 - 15/07/02 01:50 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
I agree that it's not an end all solution, but if it keeps you from tweaking your CL and breaking a tierod, then has served its purpose.
It won't stop tie-rod breakage, about the only thing that will is staying on the road and only going to the mall.

Tie-rods break or bend due to an impact of the wheel, forcing the tie-rod through a quick arc faster than the steering components can respond to it.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal