shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#261786 - 13/07/02 02:49 PM steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Marty Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa Ca
Well I guess it's time that you all know that a new and cheap steering fix is being tested at the ECXC. It's completely different than anything though of so far. A few members in California have seen it and am very glad they have keep quit on the board. One of the vehicles is running 36" and all eyes will be on him I'm sure.
Ten systems have been sent there for testing. I have been running it for 4 months and still have a good centerlink. Oh ya the price will be around $150. After this weekend you'll get a full unbias review. As of now the only modifying may be only a little grinding. Depending on the first order parts may come a little slow due to me being my only employee and this is my second job. And my boss can be a complete a$$hole(me). I'll be wheeling at Hollister this weekend but will answer question till I leave. smile

#261787 - 13/07/02 03:16 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
First question..

who are you?

Second question..

are you or the shop who is making this product qualified or insured to be making steering parts?

Third question..

who are you again?

#261788 - 13/07/02 03:32 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
First question..

who are you?

Second question..

are you or the shop who is making this product qualified or insured to be making steering parts?

Third question..

who are you again?
I can take #'s 1 and 3 - He's a NCCX member who wheels the *&^% outa his X. [Finger]

I've seen the new contraption up close and I'm liking what I see so far.

The true test though will be the on-the-trail abuse that it needs to go through before calling it 'ready to ship'. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll let Marty answer the real questions. [Wave]

#261789 - 13/07/02 08:35 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Marty Offline

I'm just another X owner that has broke 6 tierods and 4 centerlinks in a year and a half. I tired of wonder if I'm go to make it thorough the trail with only 1 tierod. My set-up doesn't change or replace any of the stock steering, it only prevents the centerlink from rotating up. No I'm not a company I just have the tools to make this part. If you don't like my product or want it that's fine. I'm sure one order won't bother me.
Later, when I have time I'm looking at a rear dual shock set-up with rear leveling capability and longer shocks.

#261790 - 13/07/02 10:25 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I'm just another X owner that has broke 6 tierods and 4 centerlinks in a year and a half. I tired of wonder if I'm go to make it thorough the trail with only 1 tierod. My set-up doesn't change or replace any of the stock steering, it only prevents the centerlink from rotating up. No I'm not a company I just have the tools to make this part. If you don't like my product or want it that's fine. I'm sure one order won't bother me.
Later, when I have time I'm looking at a rear dual shock set-up with rear leveling capability and longer shocks.
Damn, man you are breaking a lot of parts! 6 tie-rods and 4 centerlinks! Are you trying to jump the X over boulders? I guess we all have different driving styles...........

-Rick

#261791 - 14/07/02 09:49 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Well, to let everyone know. I just got back from ECXC. I didn't buy the setup, but I saw it. It may very well solve the problems. It was being tested on a different variety of trucks w/ different mods and on different trails. So give it anout 24-36 hours and maybe we'll see some reports.

Very cool setup though. Nice and quick install.

#261792 - 14/07/02 10:05 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Look forward to hearing about it!
John

#261793 - 14/07/02 11:20 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
$150? You have my attention...

#261794 - 14/07/02 11:34 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
I'm just another X owner that has broke 6 tierods and 4 centerlinks in a year and a half. I tired of wonder if I'm go to make it thorough the trail with only 1 tierod.
You are breaking a bunch of parts. Sounds to me you are beating the shit out of your Xterra.

Quote:
My set-up doesn't change or replace any of the stock steering, it only prevents the centerlink from rotating up.
I look forward to seeing what you have done.

#261795 - 14/07/02 12:09 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Bobby_X Offline

Sounds good smile

#261796 - 14/07/02 02:26 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
I have the new setup in my X now, and it works GREAT!!!!!! I went into ECXC with a worn center link, and a worn idler arm. it took me about 20 minutes to install it on the X, and I am truly impressed. Last time I was out, I bent a tie rod adjustor because of the worn parts. Now with this setup, everything went fine, and trust me, I beat the hell out of it!! I'm still going to replace my center link, and idler arm bushing, but with the new steering addition, I'll be able to finally wheel confident that the parts won't fail on me.

I do have some pictures, but I just got in, and have to unload the X first.

By the way.....what do you call this thing??? Center Link Guidance System?????????

#261797 - 14/07/02 03:47 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Quote:
Sounds to me you are beating the shit out of your Xterra.
You're saving me alot of money now by producing an affordable solution for our steering problems. So PLEASE keep beating the shit out of it, so you can come up with more affordable solutions for weak components smile Please tell me you've fried a few altenators too!!!!!!! laugh

#261798 - 14/07/02 04:04 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRAT:
I believe this is the same one covered here .

If it is, a couple of us in AZ were kicking around the idea of almost the exact same thing (I had even mentioned it here a while back). I'm glad to see the idea works!
No modification of the centerlink or idler arm is done at all, it's all bolt on. I too as well have the set up and it performed great, my weekend of wheeling was cut short as I punctured a sidewall but the set up is rock solid. laugh laugh laugh
EOE...Opening Soon!

#261799 - 14/07/02 04:15 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Hurry up and post pics already.

#261800 - 14/07/02 06:54 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Since when does a sidewall puncture cut your wheeling short? Put the spare on and you're back in business, unless of course you're worried about losing another...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#261801 - 14/07/02 07:03 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Quote:
Since when does a sidewall puncture cut your wheeling short? Put the spare on and you're back in business, unless of course you're worried about losing another...
The spare was damaged at GOX and was not up to the task. The other spare was a long trail that doesn't mix well with swampers.

#261802 - 14/07/02 07:11 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
... my weekend of wheeling was cut short as I punctured a sidewall but the set up is rock solid. laugh laugh laugh
You have this thing about blowing out sidewalls..10 months since GOX and you don't have a spare?

Stop letting Oleg pick your lines!!!

#261803 - 14/07/02 07:58 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
FSRBIKER Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b] ... my weekend of wheeling was cut short as I punctured a sidewall but the set up is rock solid. laugh laugh laugh
You have this thing about blowing out sidewalls..10 months since GOX and you don't have a spare?

Stop letting Oleg pick your lines!!![/b]
The tire was patched but it did not hold, sorry I don't buy EVERYTHING that is available for my truck and bolt it on...I have a six month old son and another on the way and THAT is way more important than spending money on my truck.

I am going to tube both tires now, I am not buying a replacement when my next tires will not be the same size.

Oleg did not pick my line at GOX, I did after walking the trail and my spotter placed me almost two feet from where I wanted to go. At ECXC two other trucks also punctured a sidewall on the same hill...we still are not sure what did it.

NOW back to the topic at hand: Pictures, there were plenty taken and they will be posted soon...most of us were out wheeling all day today and then drove home so in the next day or two there should be plenty more info on the new steering setup.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#261804 - 14/07/02 09:28 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I was one of the other LUCKY few to install this steering upgrade at ECXC. I was really worried about bending a tie rod or even worse messing up my centerlink. I am totally stock up front aside from a Very minor torsion bar tweak for my ARB. I am currently running 265-75r16 Trxus tires on 16X8 AR-767 rim (5" b.s.).. I ran pretty hard and had NO problems at all with steering after the install. In fact I didnt notice ANY difference in the way ,my truck steers or handles, maybe a little.. My tie rods, center link and (braced)Idler arm are all in great condition, Never replaced.
So far, all I have to say is THANK YOU TODD!!!!
And I'll be ordering a set of EOE tie rod adjusters and I think the front end will be fine for a while.
I'll post pix once my X is cleaned up.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#261805 - 14/07/02 11:41 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Marty Offline

thanx all that tried the Guideance System. With out a real test like you all put it thorough I probably would still be the only one running it. At the moment I'm not positive it will work with the Frontier, but will be looking into it along with the rest of the Nissans, after the Xs are taken care of.
It's late now and I'm so tired from 3 wheeling, I mean 4-wheeling, at Hollister with a few other Nissans. [Sleep]

#261806 - 15/07/02 05:16 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
The tire was patched but it did not hold, sorry I don't buy EVERYTHING that is available for my truck and bolt it on...I have a six month old son and another on the way and THAT is way more important than spending money on my truck.

This has nothing to do about getting the latest thing put on your truck.

Having a proper spare for off-roading is not a keeping up with the Jones thing..

It does have to do with having your truck ready for the trails you are going on. For you not to have a full sized spare (a requirement for most all runs that I have been on with ANY group) you subjected the the people with you to unnecessary hassle. Not to mention that if your donut spare had failed you would have had to "borrow" someone elses spare leaving them high and dry.

Bad form.

#261807 - 15/07/02 05:30 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
FSRBIKER Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The tire was patched but it did not hold, sorry I don't buy EVERYTHING that is available for my truck and bolt it on...I have a six month old son and another on the way and THAT is way more important than spending money on my truck.

This has nothing to do about getting the latest thing put on your truck.

Having a proper spare for off-roading is not a keeping up with the Jones thing..

It does have to do with having your truck ready for the trails you are going on. For you not to have a full sized spare (a requirement for most all runs that I have been on with ANY group) you subjected the the people with you to unnecessary hassle. Not to mention that if your donut spare had failed you would have had to "borrow" someone elses spare leaving them high and dry.

Bad form.[/b]
First of all DROP IT from this topic, your constant bullshit about changing the subject on threads is getting old! Take it somewhere else and make a link. I DID have a fullsize spare, the patch did not hold...I could not tell if that would be the case until I tried it in a real world situation. The Long Trail I borrowed from someone else ONLY to get me back to the campground...know ALL the facts before you open your trap! [Finger]

END OF DISCUSSION WITH YOU.

Please no one else respond to his shit.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#261808 - 15/07/02 06:35 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
First of all DROP IT from this topic, your constant bullshit about changing the subject on threads is getting old!
Learn to read.. I did not bring this off topic.. I just pointed out that it was unsafe and bad form to be on the trail without a proper spare.

Quote:
I DID have a fullsize spare, the patch did not hold...I could not tell if that would be the case until I tried it in a real world situation.
Well now you know..

Quote:
END OF DISCUSSION WITH YOU.

Please no one else respond to his shit.
Shit is how you originally responded to me. I still don't see the relationship to having a good working spare with putting the latest and greatest thing on an Xterra..

#261809 - 15/07/02 06:44 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
CArLton mcMillaNI: I was not the one who spoted Todd into the rocks, check the tape ( you still have that GOX2 tape ? wink will it be out this year? )

#261810 - 15/07/02 06:57 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
CArLton mcMillaNI: I was not the one who spoted Todd into the rocks, check the tape ( you still have that GOX2 tape ? wink will it be out this year? )
It was just a joke OlEg..

[Wave]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal