2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#261861 - 15/07/02 07:59 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
XSal: You're right on the trail,but the right after the staging area, the first granite area has plenty of ledges boulders and other things to play on without worrying about having to helicopter yourself out. Sorry for the confusion. I mainly go there to fish, mountain bike, and camp. But how can you resist playing? Gearings the only reason I haven't trying.
I've tried to post pics, but Webtv has not allowed my to and I somehow screw-up computers everytime I touch one.
I'll keep trying though.
If you need somewhere to host your pictures, FTP to: ftp.superjens.com - username xterra - password xterra

#261862 - 15/07/02 08:18 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Marty Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa Ca
Webtv has no scanner, no input, etc. About all it's good for is surfing the web and email. [Freak]

#261863 - 15/07/02 08:35 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Are you shooting digital or film? I am not really familure with that service.. Does it have a CD rom?

#261864 - 15/07/02 08:47 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Loc: Sparta, NJ
Here are my pictures of the Steering setup. Sorry that it's of a VERY dirty Xterra, but my truck was severly abused this weekend at ECXC. Please also note that I went into ECXC with a worn Center link, and a worn(much worste that I thought) Moog Idler arm. I wound up replacing the Moog with my old stock idler arm. Tomorrow I'm ording a new center link and an idler arm bushing from 4x4parts.com. With those in place, and the new steering system on, I can't wait to tackle some more of what paragon has to offer smile

#261865 - 15/07/02 09:14 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Rich, Drop me an email on how much the new bushing will cost. I was thinking of replacing the stock bushing with a bronze one, when its time to get my EOE tie rod adjusters, T-bars, and shocks done.
I've put 400 miles on my X since the steering system was installed with NO Problems, and No noticeable difference.
I repeat, I am completely stock up front except for my Idler arm brace and a minor T-bar adjustment.
L8r

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#261866 - 15/07/02 09:27 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Here's the link Ken. Idler Arm Bushing

As long as your idler arm is NOT bent, you should be able to replace the bushings and have it good as new again. For $10, you can't go wrong.

#261867 - 15/07/02 09:31 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
What I find most interesting is that this setup looks like it could co-exist with stock or the other aftermarket setups as well.

How bombproof or to quote Ian (bandaided) is your steering?

#261868 - 15/07/02 09:43 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

Pikachu is also running this setup on his X. For those of you that don't know Pika, he's a crazy SOB, running 36 inch swampers. I've seen him take his X places some Jeep owners would be afraid to go smile If it's been holding up to his abuse, it will definatly hold up on mine.

#261869 - 15/07/02 10:07 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Anyway, I'm done with this topic.
One photograph answered every question I had. You all can decide what's best for you.

I'll stick with parts from [b]experienced manufacturers
.[/b]

#261870 - 15/07/02 10:28 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Did that fog light get broken from hitting a rock, or did something get thrown up there? Never was a fan of that location.

#261871 - 15/07/02 11:06 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
anderair Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
dood...getting tired of sifting through yer BS while trying to learn stuff....
Just so happens that every thread I'm interested in you pop-in & start shit-slinging & it's getting old fast [Freak]
Agreed. I think we need to get a Carlton filter so some of these threads will shrink by about 50%. Can you take a hint?

#261872 - 15/07/02 11:40 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Dayspring:
Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning? :rolleyes:
Nobody. I'm just embarassed looking at some of the stuff that's coming out for the Xterra.

This is not a $500, 15 year old pickup truck that someone is trying to cobble together for a trail rig, it is a $25,000, quite new SUV that everyone here relies on as a daily driver.

Jambing a piece of plastic between the steering mechanism, and the frame is not the sort of products we should be seeing.

It is truly shocking how jury rigged some of this stuff is, and even more shocking that people accept something this poorly designed as a solution.

#261873 - 15/07/02 11:56 PM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
StylinX Offline

Amen Brother!

#261874 - 16/07/02 06:43 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
How are the U-Bolts secured?

Has anyone given any thought to what might happen if those u-bolts loosten up and lock your steering by allowing that block to move? That would be a bad thing to happen on the trail (esp. on something like Black Bear)
Look at the picture AGAIN, before you say anything

if U-bolt will loosen up it will just fall to the ground, and the plate will be held by 2 other U-bolts

#261875 - 16/07/02 07:09 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
MeWantSnow! Offline

I think I have a solution....Powdercoat it Blue laugh laugh

#261876 - 16/07/02 07:14 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
[b]How are the U-Bolts secured?

Has anyone given any thought to what might happen if those u-bolts loosten up and lock your steering by allowing that block to move? That would be a bad thing to happen on the trail (esp. on something like Black Bear)
Look at the picture AGAIN, before you say anything

if U-bolt will loosen up it will just fall to the ground, and the plate will be held by 2 other U-bolts[/b]
If the U-bolts loosen the whole plastic thing will slip on the centerlink and could get hung up somewhere else. Could slip inward and then jam and get stuck on the other side of the frame rail or such even, which almost certainly would cause you to lose steering control.

#261877 - 16/07/02 07:14 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Carlton McMillan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
I think I have a solution....Powdercoat it Blue laugh laugh
I though AC powdercoated their stuff black not blue?

::JAB JAB JAB::
laugh laugh

#261878 - 16/07/02 07:26 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Chuck: neh, not realy , if you wold see the design in person you would know what i mean

if U bolt will loosen up the U bolt will fall to the ground

if all U bolts will loosen up, then it will just slide to the inside of the frame and will hang there

Rich, i think i have a Blue highligher, i will paint my set CGB collor ( Calmini Gay Blue ), maybe then Carlton will shut his trap

#261879 - 16/07/02 08:11 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MeWantSnow!:
[b]I think I have a solution....Powdercoat it Blue laugh laugh
I though AC powdercoated their stuff black not blue?

::JAB JAB JAB::
laugh laugh [/b]
Now that's funny...
Nope AC spray paints thier stuff black... Ha!

#261880 - 16/07/02 08:35 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Getting slightly offtopic...

Oleg, why do you constantly jab at Carlton for liking Calmini? He has spent far more on Xterra parts than just about anyone else here, and has bought items from every major manufacturer I can think of. I would think he has a pretty good knowledgebase of all the manufacturers, their quality, their functionality. If he favors Calmini, it's probably because they do it right.

Now, getting back on track, are you saying that CM will like this design if it was Calmini blue, therefore deducing that it was made by them? Since they already have a well designed cure for the steering system woes, what's the point? Cheaper isn't always better. This is a creative solution, and it may hold merit, but I tend to worry about anything that rubs against the frame to save a $120 steering component. Plus, any rotation of that unit will cause your steering to be impeded, possibly causing a wreck. Ian brings up excellent points as well, especially the rocks in the drillholes issue.

Looks pretty unsafe to me.

#261881 - 16/07/02 11:09 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
Hmmm... Well guys and gals since this is a NEW device it is going to go through some updating!

Rock in the drill hole? This problem is easily solved: After tightning the u-bolts, fill them full of silicone. Rocks can't get in period. This would also help prevent any loosening of the bolts, would prevent corrosion from making them weak and would make it easier to get them off. If you need to get them off it would be easy to dig out the silicone.

Ice buildup? Give me a break! You really think ice can stand up to the power of the power steering pump? You can move the entire truck sidways with that pump! If that was truely an issue no one could drive their vehicles in the winter! The entire steering mechanism is exposed on most vehicles and they don't seem to have any problems.

One solution I thought of to the danger of the unit spinning on the center link: After getting the unit mounted and tested: Weld the u-bolts to the center link. Or take a center link and weld the platform for the plastic piece directly to it and sell the whole assembly.

I was actually worried about the frame being worn down by grit between the plastic and the metal. I would look into maybe having a piece of plastic attached to the frame also. However you say you went 5 months and no noticable wear on the plastic? Then the metal frame must be OK...

My .02...
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

#261882 - 16/07/02 11:32 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Bobby_X Offline

Quote:
Wouldn't it just be easier to replace the steering (Calmini/SLR) rather than using the "Mr. Fussion"/ Flux Capacitor method?

Isn't the idea to have fewer parts to break and replace?
lol. you only need to hit 88 mph for it to work.

#261883 - 16/07/02 11:36 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
Bobby_X Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
How does the delrin wear evenly considering most driving is done in a straight line ?
I'm a left turn making FOOL! smile heheh

#261884 - 16/07/02 11:41 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by coolerman:
One solution I thought of to the danger of the unit spinning on the center link: After getting the unit mounted and tested: Weld the u-bolts to the center link. Or take a center link and weld the platform for the plastic piece directly to it and sell the whole assembly.
It can't spin on the centerlink. The "dogbone" shape of the CL prevents it since the metal/plastic bar extends over the ends. Correct?
For that matter, how could it spin in the first place, since there's nowhere for it to go but up into the frame rail...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#261885 - 16/07/02 11:55 AM Re: steering being tested at ECXC!!!
coolerman Offline

Loc: Paint Lick, KY USA
Good point Brent! I guess the danger exists that a rock could slam into it while you had the wheel cranked all the way to one side? I was there at ECXC but did not see it in action on the trails. (Was too busy keeping my truck on all four wheels and able to drive home!)
2013 Altima SV
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal