shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#264142 - 30/03/07 12:48 PM rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

(2003 X) I started hearing a rubbing, almost grinding-like noise when I was braking (not always, maybe about half the time under medium-heavy braking) and assumed it was time to change the pads. I got the most expensive EBC pads (lime green, of all colors) 7000 series. (they still had some pad left on all of them. Rotors seemed fine, nothing out of the ordinary other than a layer of rust on the outside paremiter of the disks which I tapped off with the handle of a screw driver. My X lives outside.) Installed new pads with no problems and everything felt good until the next day when that same exact sound started coming back, again about 50% of the time under med-hard braking. Doesn't matter if it's straight line or corner braking. No pulsing or wheel shaking while braking. It's been about 4 weeks now with no real change either better or worse.

Any thoughts? bearings? front transfer case?

Thanks all,
-Steve

#264143 - 30/03/07 03:49 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Interesting...only half the time...for a warped rotor, you'd think all the time.

A loose shim can be at work too...

Does the frequency (sound) of the grinding noise change with the wheel speed?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#264144 - 02/04/07 06:37 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

the comes on after applying about 60-70% pressure on the brake peddal. The frequency does change slightly as the truck slows to a stop.

#264145 - 02/04/07 07:59 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe some brake cleaner ? Did you take them apart yourself? No small pebbles stuck somewhere? Rotors look smooth, to grooves around them at all?

#264146 - 02/04/07 08:06 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

check your drivers side motor mount, i was having the same issues that you describe earlier this week up until today, and suspected the brakes, front diff, trans, and hubs. none of them were the problem, my ds motor mount was separated and had cocked the engine side ways almost permanently because the mount was stuck on top of itself. once i lifted the engine and got the mount to sit back the way its supposed to all the noise stopped. the noise that sounded like rubbing/grinding was the engine vibrating against the firewall when the engine was under a load (braking.

#264147 - 03/04/07 04:41 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting. Mine was doing the same thing a month ago. But I get it every once a while. Then I got BFG MT and now all I feel is the rumble from the tires. But every once a while I think it is that same issue.

So, you say to look at the Driver side Motor mounts. I'll have to check that out.

Editted:
Where do I actually look at? Is it in the hood below the Air Box. Man I need to clean out my engine.

#264148 - 03/04/07 06:50 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rs1620:
Editted:
Where do I actually look at?
you have to look thru the drivers side wheel well. pull up the flap that covers everything. its right by the manifold.

p.s. mine wasn't making noise all the time either.

#264149 - 03/04/07 07:01 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by South Side Ninja:
Quote:
Originally posted by rs1620:
[b]Editted:
Where do I actually look at?
you have to look thru the drivers side wheel well. pull up the flap that covers everything. its right by the manifold.

p.s. mine wasn't making noise all the time either.[/b]
Cool, thanks for the guidance [ThumbsUp]

#264150 - 04/04/07 03:15 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
SpeedyOne Offline

Loc: New Westminster, B.C.
I noticed a similar situation with mine shortly after changing my front pads...changed to an aftermarket performance pad...can't remember the name...purchased from Mopac. I noticed I seem to see more brake dust on the wheels with these pads than with the Nissan ones. When I clean the wheels & spray water around the caliper area, I don't notice any noises for a while. I think it might have something to do with dust collecting around the caliper/brake pad area. These pads seem to stop as well...maybe a bit better than the stock ones. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably use the Nissan ones...got over 70,000kms with them with no problems, no weird noises, & less dust on wheels.

#264151 - 04/04/07 04:52 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is #2 what I should be looking for:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/i...odel=Xterra&yea r=2003&graphicID=3619240&callout=2&catalogid=2

#264152 - 04/04/07 07:19 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

yep, #2.

#264153 - 04/04/07 08:56 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looked fine to me. I haven't really been hearing it, I think. Since, I switched to the BFG MT, I can't really tell.

I'll try to take a pic of what mine looks like. Maybe you can guide me that way.

Thanks.

#264154 - 04/04/07 09:35 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the same problem when the brakes were replaced... It stopped, but for the past couple of weeks I've hearing it again... So I don't really know what it is. But I noticed it depends on the pressure that I brake with... does it make a difference??

#264155 - 04/04/07 10:14 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

i will take pics in a little bit and post them.

#264156 - 04/04/07 10:33 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
i will take pics in a little bit and post them.
more like "eventually" i will post up pics, i cant seem to find the cable for my camera.

#264157 - 04/04/07 11:12 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]i will take pics in a little bit and post them.
more like "eventually" i will post up pics, i cant seem to find the cable for my camera.[/b]
aw your killing me. It's all good. Hopefully, you'll find that cable.

#264158 - 04/04/07 11:22 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

keep in mind that this is not the "absolute" answer to your problems, it just happens to be what was causing mine to have the same symptoms contained in this thread. that being said, here is some reading material for motor mounts >>>>> motor mounts<<<<<

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
A good indicator of a failed motor mount would be the 4wd lever is shifted toward the passenger seat (rather than vertical)

And if you know where to look you can actually see if it is out of sorts by looking at if from the drivers side wheel well.
you can also use this method to check the mount, unless it is stuck on top itself like mine was.

how to for motor mount check (drivers side)
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Just have the engine running, pop the hood, and manipulate the throttle by hand. If you goose it, and the engine leaps, then you've got a broken engine mount. If it just rotates a little, then you're ok.

#264159 - 04/04/07 12:12 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you look at your fan shroud you will also notice some scraping or even chunks missing.

#264160 - 04/04/07 01:54 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

engine mount normal

engine mount stuck on itself

damage caused under the hood (minor)

hope that helps.

#264161 - 04/04/07 05:45 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine looked like the first pic.

But I will check how the motor runs with the hood open.

And I'll check for any rips on my air duct of the intake.

Wish me luck.

#676773 - 13/10/11 07:16 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking [Re: Anonymous]
MrSocks Offline

Did anyone ever figure this one out? Sounds like the same noise I am having. Sounds like worn out brake pads grinding...not always, but usually harder or braking down hill. Also there is a slight sound of rubbing when accelerating.

I will check my mounts in the morning, but the noise sounds like from the rear.

Brakes are brand new and its been happening before changing then.

Thanks

#676786 - 14/10/11 10:56 PM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking [Re: MrSocks]
Evlmechanic Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL.
Hi all. I'm Scott, (noob), I was browsing the threads, and I am actually replacing the entire rear end in my 2001 xterra tomorrow due to that phantom grinding.

It's the wheel bearing, ( at least, that's my problem.) I find it will be easier for me to swap out the entire rear end with a $300.00 junkyard part, than it is to pay for the bearing to be removed from the axle shaft.

Hope this helps someone.

#676805 - 19/10/11 07:16 AM Re: rubbing (almost grinding) noise when braking [Re: Evlmechanic]
MrSocks Offline

Hey Scott,

How did it go? Did that noise go away?
I have been looking at doing a titan front diff swap and that would require a new rear (for the different gear ratio) as well, so this was on the possible list of things to do.

Did it take care of the issue? Any more grinding?
Mine sounds like the brake pads are worn down and grinding metal on metal....but it's only sometimes i hear it during braking and usually downhill. There is a slight noise when driving at lower (10-30 mph) speeds and goes away or becomes quieter when i let off gas.

Thanks.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal