shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#266507 - 23/03/02 09:18 PM Wheel Size And Lift Questions
slfmade Offline

Loc: high above the mucky muck
ok i was looking at how much i could lift an xterra to fit the biggest wheel.
I was looking at the 3" lift listed on EOE, then a 3" body lift, and then like some AAL(whats the best ones? rancho, slr, or calmini and what gives most lift). how big of wheel could i fit under an xterra with this? 33 seems to be the biggest thatll fit but i just wanted to see if this was correct.
Also is it worth it to get an ARB or Calmini bumper? will it help a lot on approach height and stuff?

thanks for all the help

#266508 - 23/03/02 10:02 PM Re: Wheel Size And Lift Questions
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Here's a thread of a guy whose got a 3" sus and body lift and 33" tires
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000635

#266509 - 24/03/02 11:16 PM Re: Wheel Size And Lift Questions
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Last time there was a discussion about the approach angle of the ARB/Calmini it became quite an argument.

From looking at them in person it seems clear to me that overall there is no real gain in approach angle. The center section hangs about as low as the stock bumper.
In front of the wheels however there is more approach angle so you'll be able to get a wheel up onto larger rocks.

Plus you'll have a solid steel bumper instead of plastic, which seems moot to me because I've never really damaged my bumper in all the 4-wheeling I've done (the tow hooks always save me).

On the negative side they weigh ALOT. Your torsion bars are going to go soft prematurely so stiffer torsions and shocks should be bought along with the bumper, or soon after.

Xterra101.com

#266510 - 25/03/02 12:06 AM Re: Wheel Size And Lift Questions
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
I'm sure there will be continued arguments about approach angle between ARB and Calmini. The main issue is reducing damage of the front end when approaching obstacles. Either one will provide more protection than a stock bumper. Your approach angle might not improve much, but you'll have more confidence when charging up an uneven rocky terrain. Ask anyone about the difference between a "good" sound and a "bad" sound when they're heading up a difficult trail.

I remember a quote when going up a trail and I heard an impact. My spotter said "Don't worry you just hit your ARB." There is a difference between moving on, and getting out to acess the damage. eek

#266511 - 25/03/02 12:44 AM Re: Wheel Size And Lift Questions
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yep, my ARB has taken some lower scrapes and impacts that likely would have torn up my factory bumper. It's nice to know I don't have to worry about plastic hanging off the front of my truck when I'm done wheeling.

I haven't experienced any problems with my torsion bars from the ARB after nearly 30K miles, but I don't have a winch. It's the winch that really causes weight problems. I don't think the bumper alone adds much more weight to the front than adding a couple batteries.

#266512 - 25/03/02 09:00 PM Re: Wheel Size And Lift Questions
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I'm soooooo glad I did my ARB. My stock bumper would still be at Paragon if it was on my truck when I hit the tree stump. Even though my ARB bent (non-structural part), I can't even imagine the damage with a stock bumper on the same obstacle. My ARB ouch...

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal