shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#26766 - 26/01/07 05:48 PM Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a neighbor who likes my X but says he would never buy one because of the short wheel base . He thinks it makes the X unstable and not safe . Note : He runs a 89 1-ton ford that he loves and says he would not trade me for my 06 X . Any Comments I should give Him ?

#26767 - 26/01/07 05:54 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just have him drive one, if you're really set on doing this. I'm sure he'll like it after driving it. He sounds pretty stubborn, so talking won't do much. wink

#26768 - 26/01/07 06:11 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by winterules:
I have a neighbor who likes my X but says he would never buy one because of the short wheel base . He thinks it makes the X unstable and not safe . Note : He runs a 89 1-ton ford that he loves and says he would not trade me for my 06 X . Any Comments I should give Him ?
"I wouldn't trade my X for your Ford either" [Too much XOC]

#26769 - 26/01/07 07:41 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
It is very difficult to convince anyone to like a vehicle they've decided to hate... people make an emotional decision about whether they like a car - and then grasp at random bullshit facts/stats like wheelbase to try to justify their feelings.

It's not even worth having a discussion about with him.... find something else to talk about - like guns or football smile

ETA - one of these days maybe there will be some occasion where you take him somewhere in your X... I guarantee he'll be like "damn... this is a pretty nice little car after all" [LOL]

#26770 - 27/01/07 03:07 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Why do you care what your neighbor thinks of it? We don't ALL have to like the same things do we? I don't even care what my neighbors think of me, much less what I drive. And I don't always like what they drive either, but if they do then that's all that matters.

#26771 - 27/01/07 05:27 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Chuck and Kaiser hit it. There is no problem; he doesn't like the X. OK.

#26772 - 27/01/07 06:11 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

He does realize that the 110 defender (the 90s brother) has 110 inch wheelbase. The first genx is 104 if I remember correctly. Now if he thinks that wheeling a 110 or 90 is dangerous then i wouldnt take stock in what he is saying. Ask him to brin along his camper size 1 ton on a jeep trail and see who gets father on it. Dont worry, jst a case of my toy is better than your toy

#26773 - 27/01/07 08:17 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
I would tend to just agree to disagree. I've run across this a couple of times since the most popular off-road vehicles around here are very long wheelbase pickups. The majority of those are used as hunting vehicles on admittedly easy hunting trails and dirt roads.

Think about it this way, you might look at his pickup and say that it is a pretty nice ride, but you wouldn't want it because of the long wheelbase, etc. It's a matter of what each of you has purchased a vehicle for.

Going on the short-wheelbase, easy-to-tip-over line of reasoning, remember that just about any small to mid-size SUV will have the same issue. So, in effect, he is indicating that he just doesn't dig short wheelbase SUVs in general.

#26774 - 27/01/07 08:39 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

My neighbor has a Jeep - just one of those shitty little gay ones - not sure what the letters are GayJ or something. We purchased our vehicles about 2 days apart and we always tell eachother that we should have gotten the others car. Just became a little joke between us now - Every time we speak I have to get in there "You really should have purchased the Xterra" if he doesn't beat me to it first. My other neighbours - don't even speak English! smile

#26775 - 27/01/07 08:40 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless he is paying for your truck or you are paying for his truck/gas you really shouldn't care what he thinks.

#26776 - 27/01/07 10:54 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a little confused....Xterras are ALL long wheelbase, they never made a short wheelbase like the 2dr Montero, Jeep, FJ, Suzuki, ect confused If an Xterra is scary for him....He would love my 90" Montero with 35s and 5" of lift on off camber [Spit]

I am looking forward to LWB stability in my life again [ThumbsUp]

#26777 - 29/01/07 09:21 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
... My other neighbours - don't even speak English! smile
Damn foreigners! laugh

#26778 - 29/01/07 11:07 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andrew Hit It, The Defender is the best 4x4xfar, ANd they realized that there are applications for both.

90, 110, Ours 106" Nice middle ground if you ask me.

#26779 - 29/01/07 11:12 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I converted over from the jacked up truck 4x4 mudding world....my buddies all made fun of me. Till I took them on a trail ride...jaw dropping experiance for every single one of them...lets see your 15" over stock do that!

#26780 - 29/01/07 11:13 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bah ... ignore him.

#26781 - 29/01/07 11:50 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigTom6565:
Andrew Hit It, The Defender is the best 4x4xfar, ANd they realized that there are applications for both.

90, 110, Ours 106" Nice middle ground if you ask me.
Sure, if you like weak axles, shitty reliability, and insane repair costs.....

I do like the D90's, but honestly, a Rubicon is a better choice for us in the states.

#26782 - 29/01/07 12:35 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Why do you care what your neighbor thinks of it?
X2. Case closed.

#26783 - 29/01/07 12:57 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
GrayHam Offline

Poison his dogs.

That'll learn him for his ign'ance.

#26784 - 01/02/07 10:57 AM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

My best friend used to swear up and down that he would NEVER in his life buy an SUV of any kind. The other day after picking him up from somewhere I took a shortcut I like to take to get into my neighborhood that is a nice bumpy dirt trail....

When I pulled off the road at 40mph and was able to navigate the trail with very little effort he looked over at me and said two simple words, "I'm sold."
...of course he still swears he'd never buy any SUV...except an Xterra laugh

Just take him on a more difficult trail, that you know well, and that should change his mind pretty quick.

#26785 - 01/02/07 08:46 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, If he can't buy new? People will say MY OLD TRUCK is better (or anything else).

Let it go...it is also a personal choice! Everyone has a right to their opinions,(this is AMERICA).

If you can't say anything nice? ....BE quiet..be nice and smile..because you know you got what you wanted....after all you will have to live next to your neighbor.

Long wheel base has it's advantages and so does short wheel base.

..at least you can make your X roll over...he will have a harder time to do it....Aloha

#26786 - 01/02/07 08:51 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
GrayHam Offline

I've lived in my house for almost four years.

I know one neighbor's name: Brian.

His wife's name? "Brian's wife".

A little effort to ignore your neighbors goes a long way.

ps: Dogs like the taste of antifreeze. It's kinda sweet. FYI . . .

#26787 - 06/02/07 02:43 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

well...i wouldn't say it isn't safe if I were him...5 stars on the side crash and 3 or 4 up front.

and we have at least 2 air bags (some with 4 or 6).

his 89 Ford (although not a bad truck to mess around in) doesn't have anything in that area.

unstable? I wouldn't say so...it's not a road hugging Maxima, Altima, or 350Z, but it handles nicely.

#26788 - 06/02/07 03:01 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm thinking who cares if he likes it or not. The whole idea of the Xterra is that it is not for everyone. For those of us that have them, we know why. For those that don't, o well their loss.

#26789 - 07/02/07 08:31 PM Re: Dealing with the neighbor
Anonymous
Unregistered

all my neighbors love my X...one of my neighbors saw our silverado and went out and baught one 2 days later...then I had to give him a ride somewhere for some reason and he was like "i think I found my new car..." this family buys more cars than anyone i know thay have had (in the 2 years they have lived here): a tahoe, a rubicon, a crown vic (he is the police chief) the silverado crew cab, expedition, explorer, a suburban, and a few more taht i cant remember...he liked the way the X looks more than any of them...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal