shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268644 - 28/08/03 11:57 AM wider tires
vwroom Offline

Loc: Seatttle, WA
What is the widest tire anyone has put on their X without and suspension modifications? Also has anybody added fender flairs to compensate?

Bryan

#268645 - 28/08/03 12:07 PM Re: wider tires
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
I'd guess the widest is 11.5"... as far as fender flares, I asked about that last month... got 1 pic of a guy that used Cherokee flares modified a bit... doesn't look too bad, IMO... but the $450 price tag just didn't justify it, for me... here's the pic...

*edit* if you wanna bling bling your truck, I know a lot of the low profile tires are wider than the 32x11.5... Tracey may even have a 285 or 305... not sure, though... but it's like a 40 series...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#268646 - 28/08/03 01:22 PM Re: wider tires
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
An 11.50 is the widest that will fit without a lift, at least in conventional sizes. There are a few oddball sizes out there, you can get a 31x13.50 Swamper TSL/SX if you want, and a 31x12.50 SSR for that matter.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#268647 - 29/08/03 10:12 AM Re: wider tires
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by coxterra:
What is the widest tire anyone has put on their X without and suspension modifications? Also has anybody added fender flairs to compensate?

Bryan
If you aren't willing to trim a lot of plastic, the widest you can fit is a 10.50 wide tire without any suspension modifications. If you're willing to adjust the torsion bars to lift the front end a bit, you can get away with 11.50s.

The only person I know that runs fender flares (assuming he still owns an X) on a X is some goof ball from Northern NJ running 35x12.50s. I forget what his screen name is, first name is George. As far as I know he doesn't frequent any message boards. He signed up for ECXC last year and came out for one day. He blew a tire on a trail and didn't have a full size spare. That's a funny sight, a truck on 35s with a 30" spare.
Anyway, he used cut-out flares made for a Cherokee.

-Michael

#268648 - 29/08/03 12:27 PM Re: wider tires
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
That's the one pictured above.

Again, no lift or torsion bar adjustment is required to run 32x11.50. Any t-bar adjustment is to deal with rubbing inside the top of the front wheel opening but it only reduces the frequency of it happening when under compression and will never eliminate it. The point of contact is 100% due to the diameter and 0% to do with the width. There is very minor contact of the inner sidewall against the fender tub in the rear wheel openings at max stuff as well, but it's negligible.
If you move to a tire wider than 11.50, or even push the 11.50s out further than they do with stock wheels, you're going to get rubbing on the edge of the rear wheel opening unless you lift, no way around it. My 32x11.50s on the Nissan "Lego" wheels have 15mm less offset and stick out that same .6" further and I now rub here:

A lift with bumpstop extensions, and/or a body lift will cure this.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal