2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268687 - 11/02/01 01:09 AM Spare Tire Mount
Kafka213 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I will probably make the aristocracy of this forum angry with this question, but I have done quite a bit of searching and have found nothing that answers my questions.

First of all, I know that a few people mount their tires on the roof rack when they are wheeling. However, I wish to install an aftermarket gas tank in my X and the tank sits in the same place as the spare. Is there a more permanent method of mounting the spare, either on the roof, but preferably on the rear hatch, so that I could install the tank. Even if I don't install the tank, I would like to move my spare. Living in Chicago during the winters and southern Missouri during the summers makes for either snow or mud all the time and I hate changing tires covered in mud, or snow.

One final thing. If anyone knows about this, would the spare mount be compatible with a non-stock tire??

I thank you for your response. Sorry if this is a worn out topic that every newbie inquires on every so often and if I should have researched more to keep from slowing the progress and evolution of this forum.

Thanks,

Eric Miller
Chicago and Missouri

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kafka213 (edited 02-11-2001).]

#268688 - 11/02/01 06:50 AM Re: Spare Tire Mount
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
Although I don't consider my self aristocracy, here is your information.
www.kenmtn.com makes replacement rear bumpers for the Xterra with rear tire mount. A few people on the XOC have them. Although I have heard from them and others that their customer service is seriously lacking.

Here is a long thread that has info on it, and the SLR fuel tank.
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000204.html

Synchro and Mustard Custard have the bumpers. Several others have them on order.

Enjoy!

------------------
:wq!
wqbang@southeastxterraclub.org

[This message has been edited by wqbang (edited 02-11-2001).]

#268689 - 11/02/01 06:54 AM Re: Spare Tire Mount
wqbang Offline

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000295.html

Here is pics of MC's Xterra after the bumper was Durabacked yellow.

------------------

#268690 - 11/02/01 07:18 AM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Kafka213 Offline

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. One more thing, if I want to add the bumper, say, in the middle of March, should I order it now?

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#268691 - 11/02/01 07:42 AM Re: Spare Tire Mount
wqbang Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kafka213:
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it. One more thing, if I want to add the bumper, say, in the middle of March, should I order it now?

Several people from MAXC and the PNWX have ordered the bumpers, and are still waiting. They would probably be the ones to talk to. They will be around on the board soon enough.

I heard that their customer service was very bad. The question might be whether or not you should ORDER it, and not WHEN you should order it

------------------

#268692 - 11/02/01 01:23 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I ordered mine on Jan 4th and was told it should arrive in 2 weeks. Still waiting! If you order one from them, just try and get away with paying a small deposit and paying the balance when they provide a shipping/tracking number.

------------------
2000 Silver Ice 4x4, SE
ARB, 32" BFG Mud Terrains
PNWX webmaster
www.pnwx.net

#268693 - 11/02/01 03:47 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Kafka213 Offline

Thanks for the info, I will probably order mine about three weeks before I want to get them.

Thanks again.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#268694 - 11/02/01 05:17 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
wbroadus Offline

Loc: lexington park, md, usa
The lead time is quite long. KMA apparently does a lot of business other than their offroad stuff. Small or special orders seem to have a low priority in being built. I would see if you could get several folks together and order the bumpers at the same time. Our club (MAXC) ordered five and got a 10% discount. We have been waiting a while to receive them however.

------------------
2000 White XE 5spd
Member-MAXC

#268695 - 11/02/01 07:27 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
If only KMA would learn some customer service. my bumper is STILL not correct and i am going to have to fix it myself with FSR since KMA is now not returning my emails. so beware of them.

FYI, i would really recommend getting a different bumper, not the KMA 9as i can no longer recommend them if it isn't apperant), if you are going to get the aux. gas tnak in there. the stock bumper is VERY flimsy and in the rear end collision, i think you will be a very unhappy camper. can we say fireball? i think SLR is just asking for a lawsuit with that part.

the other problem with the aux gas tank is, are you going to mount a skid plate for it as well? if you put it where the spare goes now, it is in a very vulnerable place when going off-road. you might be better straping a gerry can to the roof or inside or is you had a bumper made, there. 5-6 gallons should be all you need. the other issue with the aux tank is weight. you will quickly wear out your stock leaf springs with the added weight of a new bumper, and aux gas tank. there are a few people on this board that have worn out the stock springs with the stock bumper on. so be careful.

currently my setup as it stands now is the KMA bumper, which needs to be fixed to open the hatch correctly(among other issues, ano no i am not bitter ), and a gerry can holder with a 5 gallon metal blitz can. i have the gas, the tire carrier and the bumper. i got lucky and was able to get the dealer to replace the stock springs a few weeks ago, but we shall see how long they will last. i may have to go to the SLR springs here in the next 8 months, but i hope not.

#268696 - 11/02/01 07:40 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
Yeah, chalk up another guy on the list of pissed off KMA customers. They have my money, I have no bumper. I am not happy.

On a side note, Pikachu is working w/ Skid-Row to develop a rear bumper & carrier, from the plans I saw on Friday I wish I had waited for this one. If it does become more than a one-off for Pika, I might have to see about selling my KMA (if/when I ever see it.)

------------------
gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.beatdriven.com/xterra.html

#268697 - 11/02/01 08:15 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Awesome X Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA '00 Azt...
Thanks for the info on KMA. I like the look and praticallity of the rear spare mount, but I guess I'll try to find another make. I hope it works out for you with your order.

------------------
Cris
'00 Aztec Red 4X4 V6 XE 3 Pack

#268698 - 11/02/01 11:05 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Kafka213 Offline

Ditto to Awesome X, unless I can get my group thing off of the ground, that might give us some credibility.

Thanks.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

#268699 - 12/02/01 09:31 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
SWXterraClub Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas USA
The fabrication shop here in Dallas that has been making things for the Xterra (rock sliders- front skid plate
for ARB- rear swaybar disconnects) is in the process of building a rear bumper with tire carrier.

I (Carlton) spent a few hours up there the other day discussing what would be nice to have on the bumper.
So.. we are looking for such fun things as...

antenna mount
two shackle points
mount for gas can (you will love the idea that they came up with)
reciever
and possibly a place to mount a hi-lift

I will post more info as it becomes available

------------------
Southwestern Xterra Club
Dallas, Texas
clubinfo@swxc.org
http://swxc.org

#268700 - 12/02/01 10:08 PM Re: Spare Tire Mount
Kafka213 Offline

Sounds like a good idea, will they make it with the D rings? That may come in handy.

------------------
Eric Miller
University of Chicago
Also from southwest MO.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal