shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#269824 - 24/10/05 08:28 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

^ who the eff cares. they do great in mud: WHERE THEY WERE DESIGNED TO BE USED! i don't care about rocks, and anyone who does some research on them before buying will see that they're rated primarily for MUD. 80%: Dirt/MUD, 20%: Pavement/Sand [ROCKS would fit into this category].

:-D

cut the shit, stop arguing over opinions.

CAN YA TELL IM STRESSED OUT TODAY??!

#269825 - 24/10/05 09:08 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Aperion in our club been running them for a while now and we've both been impressed with them

Seen a fair amount of rocks and they don't slip wink For the price diff. I would take them over GY MT/R's

#269826 - 25/10/05 07:51 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Sorry to post what I saw and thought of the tires listed in the Heading: "....Whatcha Think?", didn't know what "Whatcha think?" meant I guess.

wink

Enjoy!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#269827 - 09/11/05 04:02 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got myself a set of the STT's tonite....they are a totally awesome looking tire....can't want to get them put on, and try um out.....Let it snow...Let it snow!!! [Finger]

#269828 - 09/11/05 04:12 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

about the STTs, the comparisons you guys are talking about....remember there's two versions of this tire? could that make a difference in them?(the rocks and everything)

#269829 - 09/11/05 05:11 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lj1983:
about the STTs, the comparisons you guys are talking about....remember there's two versions of this tire? could that make a difference in them?(the rocks and everything)
if you mean between the radial,and regular new model? they have have the radial STT and the new design STT that just came out (or so i was told by my tire guy that it was brand new design)...

heres the radial

and the new one,

i was talking to the guy i got my tires from at the tire shop,and he said they are awesome, but firestone just came out with a redesigned MT and those are very sweet looking too..

#269830 - 09/11/05 05:49 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I picked up a set of those new style ones....soooo sweet, and meaty!! laugh

#269831 - 09/11/05 05:58 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by newfieX:
I picked up a set of those new style ones....soooo sweet, and meaty!! laugh
have you tested em out yet? i've heard they rip mud apart, but have some trouble on rocks? not sure how true it is, but i'd love a set of those when i upgrade my tires again laugh

#269832 - 09/11/05 06:15 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't tried them out yet, I have to get an aligment done on her first. So it will be a few days. But going from the stock long trails to these I should find a pretty good difference. laugh I keep ya posted on how I find them later. Can't wait for the snow to fly here now!!

#269833 - 09/11/05 09:29 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by newfieX:
But going from the stock long trails to these I should find a pretty good difference. laugh !
[LOL] that's awesome!

and yeah, i was talking about the difference between the 'older' STT Radials, and the new STT. I don't know for sure, but rumors float around that the older version is either not being made or is being fazed out. i was just curious if they knew which version of the STT was being referred to as 'slipping' on the rocks. i don't doubt it, just curious if maybe cooper fixed that. it definetely looks like an MT/R...but looks are just that, looks.

#269834 - 10/11/05 03:28 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
TJ Offline

It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#269835 - 10/11/05 05:41 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to hear.....I won't be running any rocks anyway. Nice to see that I should be fine everywhere else. laugh

#269836 - 10/11/05 06:48 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.
TJ has never run this tire. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

One driver who had them in the outback:
"On twisty dirt roads pushed reasonably quickly, tracked well, some sliding but then we did have 3.2 ton of Landcruiser pushing them, felt safe and comfortable.

We spent 7 days in constant 4wd territory, some of it very gnarly, very steep and most days in low range, surface varied from some mud holes to dry clay, deep dust and a lot of broken rock, all on very steep tracks both up and down.

Tyres gripped everywhere, provided great adhesion over all surfaces including rock faces, loose rocks and dry clay, tyres never slipped at all. Even when deliberatley picking high side of wet muddy ruts and taken very slowly the tyres gripped and did not slip off. Even tried changing direction in one muddy rut and the tyres gripped and walked out of the slippery rut."

A Nissan Patrol in the Outback:
"eventually come to the gibber flats on the Sturt's Stony Desert. It was on these flats that I thought that I may have tyre trouble. I was helping a couple of mates muster some wild camels. I was driving flat-out across large gibber flats with small creek gullies, sand dunes covered with Spinifex, and lots of large rim-busting rocks. Wheeling the heavily loaded Patrol around sharply trying to keep the camels moving in the right direction certainly tested both the tyres & the suspension. The tyres came through without any damage (the other Toyota was not so lucky, ripping 2 tyres to bits over the rocks)

I can only say that these new Armor-Tek STT Cooper's are the best tyres for these Outback conditions as they are certainly more than strong enough to cope with the rugged terrain."

#269837 - 10/11/05 09:29 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

well seeing as tho this is my thread, and i got the tires, and have run them..

they do AMAZING in mud. period.

on street- they're good for being mud tires. on the highway, they're fine no problems.

on rocks? well, they dont slip anymore than any other tire i've seen/run. they gripped pretty well in some sticky situations down at Rausch Creek last weekend, so i can't say anything bad about them. I only lost traction with them ONCE out of the numerous wheeling trips ive taken them on in the past month- and that was my fault on an incline straddling a ditch i didnt have my steering aligned right.. with a slight turn of the wheel and a little gas, i got right out of the ditch.

you wanna know how they really do? buy a set and try them out. i guarantee you wont be disappointed [ahem, unless ur TJ.. then disappointment is apparently inevitable]. for the money, they're worth every penny.

plus, i dont know if its just cuz im a girl, but ive even gotten thumbs ups from JEEP GUYS on the tires.. c'mon, you know they're jealous [Smoking]

#269838 - 10/11/05 10:08 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The TSL Radial is simply the best radial out there, hands down. Kicks ass in the mud......and laughs at rocks!! On road wear is great also. Tire noise is somewhat excessive, but I actually love it.

And Sarah....you truck looks great with those tires and your wheels painted. You got them on and tested them...really no need for people to bitch about it anymore. wink

#269839 - 10/11/05 01:07 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yeah I’m looking at the STT’s for the bronco as a better overall tire than the Swamper’s.

I’ll vouch for the SS TSL’s the best tire I’ve ever run off-road in the mud & rocks although I went with the BIAS ply for the tougher sidewalls. My 33’s actually lasted ~ 50k on hundreds of runs with three different trucks over a 4 year period.

In the sand the TSL’s dig too much and on slickrock they were deceit but not as good as say my BFG KO’S and even more so when it came to wet weather or snow.

#269840 - 10/11/05 04:12 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
TJ Offline

Sheesh...I LIKE Cooper STT's.

laugh

I guy I wheeled with had them, they were slipping more than the others....I said when I saw them, they were slipping...and were not rounding up camels or in Australia or other places tires have "Y"'s in them, etc.

laugh

(It was an observation, not a postion paper)

wink

#269841 - 13/11/05 01:48 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

do the new stt's have white letters on both sidewalls or just one side??

#269842 - 13/11/05 01:51 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

White letters on one side and black letters on the other.

#269843 - 15/11/05 03:28 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

These were my first choice tire, but the cost was insane here. No one could get me 265/75 R16s for less than $190.00 each and I checked with several shops and distributors. I ended up getting my #2 choice the TrXus MTs for $130.00 each. I simply could not justify spending more for 4 of the Coopers than for 5 of the TrXus.

I heard the TrXus were better in the rocks too wink

#269844 - 15/11/05 05:30 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tried out my STT's alittle bit this weekend. So far I find them awesome!! Tears the mud right up!!

#269845 - 15/11/05 09:30 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

NewfieX, what size u runnin, those Cooper STT's look sick man.

#269846 - 16/11/05 05:46 AM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

31x10.5's....thanks man!!

#269847 - 18/11/05 04:32 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
[b]It was the new one that slipped on rocks, but did great on everything else.
TJ has never run this tire. So take what he says with a grain of salt.

One driver who had them in the outback:
"On twisty dirt roads pushed reasonably quickly, tracked well, some sliding but then we did have 3.2 ton of Landcruiser pushing them, felt safe and comfortable.

We spent 7 days in constant 4wd territory, some of it very gnarly, very steep and most days in low range, surface varied from some mud holes to dry clay, deep dust and a lot of broken rock, all on very steep tracks both up and down.

Tyres gripped everywhere, provided great adhesion over all surfaces including rock faces, loose rocks and dry clay, tyres never slipped at all. Even when deliberatley picking high side of wet muddy ruts and taken very slowly the tyres gripped and did not slip off. Even tried changing direction in one muddy rut and the tyres gripped and walked out of the slippery rut."

A Nissan Patrol in the Outback:
"eventually come to the gibber flats on the Sturt's Stony Desert. It was on these flats that I thought that I may have tyre trouble. I was helping a couple of mates muster some wild camels. I was driving flat-out across large gibber flats with small creek gullies, sand dunes covered with Spinifex, and lots of large rim-busting rocks. Wheeling the heavily loaded Patrol around sharply trying to keep the camels moving in the right direction certainly tested both the tyres & the suspension. The tyres came through without any damage (the other Toyota was not so lucky, ripping 2 tyres to bits over the rocks)

I can only say that these new Armor-Tek STT Cooper's are the best tyres for these Outback conditions as they are certainly more than strong enough to cope with the rugged terrain."[/b]
Hmm just saw this thread for the second time and noticed it took you a week to do some research to eventually quote testimonials off Coopers website.... Seems like a reasonably unbiased opinion.... TJ was offering his opinion but you can never be wrong just like you demonstrated in the wrangler or xterra thread.

#269848 - 18/11/05 06:20 PM Re: Cooper STT tires, whatcha think?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I'll be looking into a set.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal