shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#271383 - 18/02/06 10:32 AM Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally, I am back in the U.S. for a while, and I just checked the MB Gunnar 6 rims - they fit on the next gen Xterra WITHOUT needing a spacer! [ThumbsUp] [Smoking] Thanks to Discount Tire for holding these rims for me for over 1 month (I hear some of you guys were trying to get them to give them up!)

Now, I need to decide what offroad tires to put on them. These tires must be good for rock crawling, mud, and trails, and be of a radial design. These will not be my daily driving tires, so street performance and noise is less important.

Any suggestions? I am leaning towards Goodyear MT/R.

#271384 - 18/02/06 10:38 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is what they look like - just remember, those in the Hwy 6 store are mine!

#271385 - 18/02/06 11:06 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Specs?

#271386 - 18/02/06 11:11 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

somebody on this board removed my old thread . . .

the specs again are: 6 lug on 4.5" spacing (6x114.5)
5.5" backspacing (I think)

load rating (if I remember, it was around 3200 lbs)

size: 16" x 8"

#271387 - 18/02/06 07:04 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

how much you get them for?

#271388 - 18/02/06 08:59 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

at 16x8 will they not stickout a bit? I think that look is awesome...

#271389 - 19/02/06 05:06 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

$125 a piece - but haven't forked over the cash yet.

Becuase the backspacing and offset are very near the same as the stock wheels, and because there is no need for a spacer (spacer=protrusion), then these wheels should stick out very little.

Once I pick my tires, the next job is to insure fit of both tire & wheel. But since many have put 285x75xR16 tires on their next gen Xs, I am expecting little to no issues.

#271390 - 19/02/06 03:53 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dnorton:
Here is what they look like - just remember, those in the Hwy 6 store are mine!

Highway 6, huh? I may have to take look *cough* steal *cough* those up.

#271391 - 19/02/06 08:02 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why get such nice looking wheels if they're just for off-roading? If you're just going to beat them up use the stock ones.

#271392 - 19/02/06 08:10 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
I don't see a R18 for the MT/R - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Wrangler+MT%2FR

I had MT/Rs on my X and loved them. They are a very heavy tire and you will loose MPG and power as compared to a BFG A/T.

Good luck on finding the right tire for your 18" rim. Its a nice rim!!! [ThumbsUp]

#271393 - 19/02/06 09:31 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

R18 - 18" rim ? I am not sure where this was communicated - the rims that I have tried are 16" rims ; thanks for the appreciation on the looks though.

As far as why use such nice looking rims, I agree - and until today I had not seen any other aftermarket rims that fit the 05-06 X. The issue here is to find some rims to which I can mount offroad worthy tires (and leave the BFG long trails on my stock rims for every day use). If I could find plain steel (and cheap - not the steeler prices) rims that would work WITHOUT spacers, that would be great.

If somebody has found such a beast, please chime in - but I truly doubt it.

Once I get the rims and tires installed, I will post pictures.

#271394 - 20/02/06 02:51 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think the OEM specs are like this:

16 x 7 J or 17 x 7.5 J

5.5" BS

Bolt pattern 6x4.5"
Thread size12x1.25
OEM Hex 21mm
Hub ring 66.1
OEM offset +30

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#271395 - 20/02/06 07:34 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hwoodstealin

I am holding off on any more upgrades right now. Go "steal" my wheels from the Hwy 6 Discount tire store. I will let them know that they are free to be sold.

#271396 - 21/02/06 04:54 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

why would you want to put some expensive, shiny rims on a truck that you say will be rock crawled, offroaded and mudded. They would probably be ruined real quick anyways why not wait a little bit for some black steelies or better yet find a set of steelies of an X trim model and powdercoat those black and beat the hell out of them.

#271397 - 21/02/06 04:58 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got a call from aplace called national 4x4 the new generation x's also fit the American Racing 797's...hope this helps

#271398 - 22/02/06 04:39 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gbizzle,

I can partly see where you are coming from, but if you do the math and consider other factors, you might see that these "shiny" alloy rims make alot of sense.

First, they are not that shiny, they are "anthracite machined" meaning they have a machined look and are greyish silver, not a shiny chrome, which is also an option for the bling lovers (not me). So I don't think these will look to gaudy for an offroading truck, but that is a matter of personal taste. To me, the rims on the 06 X model are too boring and look cheap.

Steel rims cost at least $50 a piece (more like $80), but there are no aftermarket rims (someone correct me if I am wrong) that fit the Next Gen X WITHOUT SPACERS! This means that you must also buy a spacer for each wheel (maybe another $50 per wheel? -someone else can comment here becuase these things must be custom ordered, I think), and many of those in the "know" (not me) feel that spacers are not a good idea, especially for serious offroading. Plus, spacers will make your wheels stick out more than they normally would, but you need them to clear your front brake calipers.

If you want to purchase the steel rims from the dealer for the 05X (i.e. the same steel rim used as the spare on the S model), then get ready to fork out $220 a piece! (that is not a "cheap" steel rim). I haven't checked the price of the plain black rims on the 06X from the stealer, but I would be surprised if they are any cheaper.

Another thing to consider is weight. The more unsprung weight (mostly wheels, tires, and axles), the less horsepower is available for accelerating the truck. Steel wheels will weigh more than aluminum. I have not compared the weight differences from this wheel and say the steel wheels that PonyBoy has purchased (I think Crager), but you must also add in the weight of the spacer, which although it will probably be aluminum (not sure here), it still adds more weight to the rotating parts.

So at the end of the day, the price of steel rims and spacers might be close to the $125 cost of these alloy rims, but you might not be as safe, you will have less horsepower, and the wheels will stick out more. Go the OEM route, and the wheels should be safe and not stick out, but you still will have less available horsepower (probably) and ALOT more cost.

Long-winded, but maybe it makes some sense?

#271399 - 22/02/06 06:57 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miles:
I just got a call from aplace called national 4x4 the new generation x's also fit the American Racing 797's...hope this helps
Not according the American Racing Website. The only 16x7 have a 5-4.5" bolt pattern. Of course the website might no be up to date.

Linky

#271400 - 22/02/06 07:11 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The other school of thought is that you can start out ugly, and stay ugly, or start out pretty, and slowly degrade with time.

laugh

I went with the "Leave the OEM rims on, I already have them" school of thought, as the tires fit them anyway, and I don't really need different rims to mount tires.

To go in a big circle, to find rims that fit the stock specs, when I already had some on the truck seemed a waste of mod money.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#271401 - 27/02/06 07:43 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

dnorton,

You say that they fit, how close to the suspension and the calipers were they? I am looking at the 18" version, but would have to eat shipping and other fees if I bought them and they didn't fit. I wish there was a store near me to try them out first but there isn't.

Thanks

#271402 - 27/02/06 09:33 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

18" version? probably not for offroading, I suspect.

Calipers were very close (could fit a business card between caliper & rim, but just barely). Don't know about suspension, but did not think to check. The wheel did spin freely after mounting onto the Xterra with its front end lifted with a floor jack (so the wheel was in a "drooped" position)

#271403 - 27/02/06 01:20 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally, I bought the Gunner 6 rims (16x8, 6x4.5) for my 05 Xterra. Cost was $541, tax included. I should have brought my digital camera to Discount Tire, but I forgot. I did not buy tires yet, but fit up the left front wheel which had a BFG AT/KO (285x75x16) mounted.

There is some rubbing on the rear of the front wheel well, but I don't think it is too serious. Once the AC lift is installed, this should be even less of an issue. Again, as before, there was no contact of the wheel with the caliper or any of the suspension components over the full turning span.

Thinking of getting some Goodyear MT/Rs (285x75x16) mounted later, unless someone can talk me into something else [ThumbsUp]

#271404 - 01/04/06 08:19 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK. Finally I have the wheels and tire mounted.

cant get stupid images to properly upload to FTP site! mad

Anyone help me do this myself, and you will see cool rims with Goodyear MT/Rs!

Thanks! [Wave]

#271405 - 02/04/06 11:10 AM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Save them on your computer...sign up for photobucket and upload them there and then once uploaded copy the img link and past on your reply...I dont know if this helps?

#271406 - 02/04/06 02:08 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

miles,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I am on my way to Aberdeen and then over to Brunei for a few weeks, and I left my pictures on my home computer!
mad

(one of my pre-trip todo's was to copy the pictures onto a memory card that I am bringing - did not get done.

My Xterra is with Jim Shrake again. Hopefully he will post pictures soon, probably after a lift, skid plates, and rear bumper are installed laugh

#271407 - 02/04/06 03:42 PM Re: Next Gen compatible rims
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dnorton:
First, they are not that shiny, they are "anthracite machined" meaning they have a machined look and are greyish silver, not a shiny chrome,
So they are using coal to cut the wheels? Neat wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal