shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#271728 - 13/04/01 07:30 AM Home Team help... Time to make a lift/tire purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Home Team,
I need some input, I have been reading posts for the past two days and everyone has beaten around this these issues but noone has really addressed these issues concisely:
First allow me to illustate the stage one lift plan. SLR shackles, Bilsteins (20% stiffer for ARB and (winch coming at end of summer), and NISMO torsion bars. This way I can do the rest of the front end lift (A-arms and such) later.
Issues...
1) New tires are being ordered soon (tax return received ). I'm really looking hard at Interco TrXus due to value, siping, and 4 ply sidewall strength. The dilemma I am having is size vs rubbing. Is there a significant difference in the amount of rubbing against the ARB bullbar and the rear fuel line cover in 31s vs. 32s. If the rubbing is essentially the same I'll definately go with 32's (since Interco doesn't make 32 x 11.5 I'd go BFG M/T)

So basically, if you were going to buy tires soon, and was looking for a good road/off road tire, but was concerned about rubbing, would you go with the Trxus 31's or the BFG 32's? I'm leaning hard towards Interco's 31's... (No TrXus 32's available yet)... Thoughts?

2) With the described setup above (upgrade torsion bars cranked with SLR rear shackles), when I do add the SLR/AC A-arms and rear spring packs will I need new shocks for the front/rear end? Does bilstein offer an extended shock for the lifted Xterra (or equivalent)? That sucks if I have to get new shocks again.

3) I talked with Todd at EOE and he is working with the AC lift to "enhance" it (add an extra inch or two of lift. I'm curious as to your thoughts on this and a comparison of the two lifts (ommitting the AC/XOC firefight that took place a few months ago, I'm looking for a product comparison not begrudged commentary). From inspecting the two pictures, the only difference I can see between the SLR and AC kit is the differential drop kit for the SLR kit. AC might even include one too, I haven't explored that yet.

4) What is the difference between upgrading the A-Arms/ball joint seperators vs just using the torsion bar lift? How much more lift am I going to get? Do I get more downward travel with the A-Arm setup vs preloaded T-bars?
In other words, why should I even consider purchasing the A-Arm setup, is it$500 bones for 1/2in of lift?

PS: Also in speaking to Todd at EOE he is also developing a differential skid to protect that naked differential for you rock hoppers out there. Sliders are in the powder coater, some still available for sale for whoever needs them.

I look forward to your insightful replies.

[This message has been edited by kennedyusmc (edited 04-13-2001).]

#271729 - 13/04/01 08:07 AM Re: Home Team help... Time to make a lift/tire purchase
gothamist Offline

Loc: Virginia
1) 31's don't rub the ARB, 32's do. If you're concerned about rubbing definitely stay with 31's, unless you aren't planning on disconnecting front & rear.

2) You'll want to replace your rear shocks as soon as you get the shackles, otherwise you'll lose a fair bit of wheel travel. You'll also probably want new ones when you get the SLR springs, although if you keep the first set for a while you won't have to mess w/ brake lines & the diff breather right away.

3) No comment, no info to base an opinion on...

4) The lift kit allows you to crank your torsion bars without losing travel. The SLR kit actually increases front wheel travel considerably, the Calmini lift doesn't increase the travel any, but simply puts you 3" higher than stock. This is still far more desirable than cranked t-bars, as you will still have some downtravel even when the bars are cranked up high enough to get you to 3".

------------------
Vikram/gothamist -- MAXC member
http://www.4x4LO.com

#271730 - 13/04/01 08:23 AM Re: Home Team help... Time to make a lift/tire purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

G always brings something good to the table.
2) Clarification... I have (4) new Bilsteins coming with the Shackles/T-bars. Will I need (4) new longer shocks when I go to SLR spring packs and SLR/AC upgraded A-Arms/ball joints?

Others...

[This message has been edited by kennedyusmc (edited 04-13-2001).]

#271731 - 13/04/01 10:38 AM Re: Home Team help... Time to make a lift/tire purchase
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Originally posted by kennedyusmc:
[B]G always brings something good to the table.
2) Clarification... I have (4) new Bilsteins coming with the Shackles/T-bars. Will I need (4) new longer shocks when I go to SLR spring packs and SLR/AC upgraded A-Arms/ball joints?B]

yes you will need longer shocks. the rancho 9116s aren't even long enough.

------------------
Synchro (aka Kirk)
synchro@xterraoffroad.com
2000 Xterra SE, Alpine Green, 4x4, ARB, 32" BFG MTs

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal